The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why not just make race change tokens free for a week?

MLGProPlayer
MLGProPlayer
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Make them cost nothing in the crown store for a period of 7 days. Just make these race change tokens have a unique identifier (different from the paid ones) so that you can disable them after 7 days.

And bam. Problem solved. No more complaining.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A similar alternative, as you can only use Race Change Tokens on the Character Selection Screen, would be to enable the Race Change button to be selectable, no matter if you currently had Race Change Tokens or not. By keeping the button auto-enabled for a grace period, it would allow those wishing to switch races due to the upcoming changes to easily do so.

1EjfoVR.jpg
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I'm surprised they aren't doing this. If anything make it so for each char they log into they get 1 token. That way only toons who are are already in game get it.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A downside of only having a short grace period to race change, like the suggested week, is that's really not a lot of time to get to know the changes and assess how viable a race is for your class, especially for those with a full RL schedule or a full roster of alts that each need to be evaluated.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I'm surprised they aren't doing this

We don't know, what exactly they are or aren't doing. We were promised one free race change token per account, but that's all we know. Maybe tokens will go on sale, maybe they will decide to do class change tokens or maybe Molag Bal will drag their whole office into Coldharbour and there will be no update at all.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ertosi wrote: »
    A similar alternative, as you can only use Race Change Tokens on the Character Selection Screen, would be to enable the Race Change button to be selectable, no matter if you currently had Race Change Tokens or not. By keeping the button auto-enabled for a grace period, it would allow those wishing to switch races due to the upcoming changes to easily do so.

1EjfoVR.jpg

Even better idea.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make them cost nothing in the crown store for a period of 7 days. Just make these race change tokens have a unique identifier (different from the paid ones) so that you can disable them after 7 days.

What's with all the players that come back on day 8th and not 7th?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A lot of people have suggested this or something similar. Make them free for a week or give one per character.. Or just make them free but make it so you cant have more than one at a time and no one will be able to stack them..

I think making them free for a week is the best solution for most people who care about the issue, but i just dont see it happening. Zos knows what they are doing here. This is a cash grab and honestly feels like a scam. People keep comparing these changes to skill changes.. Its so wrong. You dont pay money for skill changes, you pay gold. And even then its basically free after they change skills around.

But why is it such a big deal now? Because its money. When zos changes skills people will find ways around it. But with this we have 2 options if we want a race fit for our character. Pay up, or delete and restart. Zos knows that players who have been playing the same characters for years, with everything max, are not going to delete. They know a lot will pay. But a lot of others see through this *** and are done if this stands.

They are creating a need for these tokens, a need that is not currently there but will be when they change the races. If people cant see that zos has done this on purpose knowing how much race changes they are going to sell, or that this is wrong, then I cant help you. It would be different if the changes were free, but they are making changes that we can only fix with our wallets. Disgusting.

Ill eat my words if they give us the changes but im 99% sure it wont.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

If you arent playing more than once per week then you probably dont care. If you arent checking the forums or the website then you probably dont care. And if you do care but dont do either of those things for a week, well there are plenty of us who do and wouldnt miss it. The positive outweighs the negative.

Id feel bad for those players but the number of people who dont do either of those 2 things, and still need multiple changes, would be so small.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_lags wrote: »

If you arent playing more than once per week then you probably dont care. If you arent checking the forums or the website then you probably dont care. And if you do care but dont do either of those things for a week, well there are plenty of us who do and wouldnt miss it. The positive outweighs the negative.

Id feel bad for those players but the number of people who dont do either of those 2 things, and still need multiple changes, would be so small.

The number of people who really need multiple race changes is small. Or let's say it this way: marginal. Tiny. Not even worth mentioning.
    Edited by Seraphayel on January 19, 2019 9:45PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I have no personal interest in race change tokens, or indeed any other form of change tokens, I've been arguing for something along these lines partly because it's a sensible way of dealing with it, and also because it will stop the nonsense about the race changes being nothing more than a cash grab.
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These min/maxers crack me up. If they found the math was better for a different combination, they would reroll a toon anyway, even if no changes were made from the developer side.

But because the developer initiated this one, they want to whine for lost time. Add into it that class balance has been whined about for a long time from those people.

Just whine, whine, whine, cry, cry, cry all of the time from these people. I don't think anything would make them happy. Complaining (especially when anonymously) can be an addiction. Just one browse through a Facebook feed can show you that.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd settle for them to cost 750-1000 crowns for a certain period. I'm not even asking for free just a way to buy at least 1 or 2 per month with the monthly eso+ crown allotment.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one token is fair. 3 or 4 would've been better but I think any more than that would be overkill. If you need 15 race changes it's because you've either got one race you always choose so you probably won't change them anyway - or you've made monumentally stupid race choices in the past and it's not their responsibility to pay to correct your past mistakes.

The way things stand, my freebie will go on my Bosmer who's useless to me without the sneak bonus and my Dunmer will be storage alts temporarily until the next round of balance changes makes them meta again.
    PS4 EU
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The number of people who really need multiple race changes is small. Or let's say it this way: marginal. Tiny. Not even worth mentioning.

I don't think it's fair to assume that. Each person is affected by these changes, so each person should be able to decide how many changes they need.

A similar unfair assumption that's been going around is that only meta-chasers are affected by these changes. For instance, I'm as far from being a meta-chaser as a player can get and have several characters who's entire design was directly based upon their racial skills, skills which have now been completely removed. Like my bosmer sniper who was completely structured around the old bosmer racial skills of stealth and extra damage from stealth, both of which are being completely removed. And my Dunmer flame DK which was designed completely around their racial bonus to fire damage, which is also being completely removed. And being able to replicate those abilities with gear is not an answer because as they were, they had those abilities with complementary gear. Had these racials merely been reduced, that's one thing, but their primary abilities are going to be completely gone. It's not too much to ask for ZOS to make right on that.
    Edited by Ertosi on January 19, 2019 10:07PM
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Statistically, I doubt the majority have multiple max toons. Die hards? Of course. I don't think they represent a huge %.

I have 9 max right now. I will just roll with the punches and make changes as I see fit. I agree with the changes. No big deal.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's fair to assume that. Each person is affected by these changes, so each person should be able to decide how many changes they need.

A similar unfair assumption that's been going around is that only meta-chasers are affected by these changes. For instance, I'm as far from being a meta-chaser as a player can get and have several characters who's entire design was directly based upon their racial skills, skills which have now been completely removed. Like my bosmer sniper who was completely structured around the old bosmer racial skills of stealth and extra damage from stealth, both of which are being completely removed. And my Dunmer flame DK which was designed completely around their racial bonus to fire damage, which is also being completely removed. And being able to replicate those abilities with gear is not an answer because as they were, they had those abilities with complementary gear. Had these racials merely been reduced, that's one thing, but their primary abilities are going to be completely gone. It's not too much to ask for ZOS to make right on that.

You see, this is exactly the problem. Nobody, really nobody needs the race changes. The decision about "how many changes someone needs" is individual. If you think you need 10 changes, buy them.

None of the changes makes a race change mandatory. It's almost hysterical now to ask for unlimited race changes because - as some make it sound - it's a decision between life and death when in fact it's just a decision between 1.2% or 1.3%.
    Edited by Seraphayel on January 19, 2019 10:14PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel the free token should be a race, and name change. As for the original question, I assume so people will buy more tokens.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You see, this is exactly the problem. Nobody, really nobody needs the race changes. The decision about "how many changes someone needs" is individual. If you think you need 10 changes, buy them.

None of the changes makes a race change mandatory. It's almost hysterical now to ask for unlimited race changes because - as some make it sound - it's a decision between life and death when in fact it's just a decision between 1.2% or 1.3%.

Not sure you read what I posted as the two examples I gave weren't facing a % decrease, rather they had old racial abilities needed for their builds completely removed.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure you read what I posted as the two examples I gave weren't facing a % decrease, rather they had old racial abilities needed for their builds completely removed.

So what? Did other races got those abilities? No. That's about to happen in a game and nothing outstanding. If you base your racial choice purely on those bonuses you must have known for the future that it might change. It changed. Deal with it. Nothing is set in stone in an constantly developing online game. With the same reasoning I could ask for class change tokens because they're changed on a more frequent basis.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greed
  • Sagz
    Sagz
    ✭✭
    Well, in all seriousness, why not give ESO plus 2, and 1 for non ESO plus. You double everything else such as bank space etc.

If you subscribe you should get extra, but in reality its not game breaking either way.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, though even limiting it to a week is needlessly arbitrary. I hope my opinion about this awkwardly triggers someone, too. Always a blast.
    forever stuck in combat
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, so going on your examples you use the free change to make your Bosmer a Khajiit to get the sneak back. Your Dunmer might be (might be - nothing is even set in stone yet) losing it's extra flame damage but seeing as it's not going to any other race instead I don't see the urgent need for a race change in that case
    PS4 EU
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just everything make free?
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You keep missing the point. Let me explain something and then ask you a few questions. To give you an example my orc stam sorc has lost 2 major things that make a big difference in pvp. I usually run mediocre max stats (35k max stam 22-23k max health) and very high health recovery. I do this because stam sorc has no healing passives and only 1 healing ability so defile builds can be rough, especially solo.

Now as it stands with orc, it will never compare to nord for what i am doing. The speed is a great synergy with stam sorc, the weapon damage is okay, but everything else is worthless. And for all the other orcs i have its the same. Nord will be far superior, and already is right now in some cases. Even many of the other races in the upcoming patch will be better than orc for me..

And if you dont understand that the difference is going to be waaay more than 1.2% or 1.3%, then im not going to explain it. But the difference is big in some cases.

Now I might have asked you this in another thread but im not sure. Tell me, why is it okay for zos to decrease the cost of skill respec after they update/change/nerf skills? Why all of a sudden is it now sooo wrong to ask for this when zos is making a major change?

Im sorry but some of us think this whole thing looks suspect. Zos is taking certain races and making other races better for what players want to do. Its very possible that they are doing this because they KNOW (because its common knowledge) that many end game players WILL buy race change tokens to swap to the race that best fits what they are doing.. We would NOT have to do this if zos wasnt changing the passives, but they are while knowing this information about players.

Doesnt that seem a little suspect to you? Maybe its the skeptical side of me.. I mean its one thing to put 4 ugly horses in game and say "well we know players are going to want cool looking mounts, so lets sell them on the cash shop and in crown crates". Its another thing to say "we know players want the best builds for endgame content, so lets change the racial passives because they will have to buy race change tokens to get the best race for their character"..

But like other people have said, if they let people race change for a set amount of time, or give us 1 per character, then this solves the issue. And this is just an debate between players, none of us know what zos will do yet. We are speculating but we dont know so im not going to say they are 100% doing it. Its just what it looks like, as it stands, to some of us.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oberstein wrote: »

Because many of us already pay for a lot and dont mind paying for a lot to support a game that we like playing. Making everything free would run the game out of business. But making major changes to core mechanics, or something like racial passives, and then giving players a small grace period to not have to shell out a lot of money to get the right race back for their characters, is not unreasonable.

If race changes cost gold instead you wouldnt hear about it from either side. And im guessing, based on what happens when they change skills, zos would have dropped the cost of the race changes anyway. *If it was gold and not possible cash.
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭

Because many of us already pay for a lot and dont mind paying for a lot to support a game that we like playing. Making everything free would run the game out of business. But making major changes to core mechanics, or something like racial passives, and then giving players a small grace period to not have to shell out a lot of money to get the right race back for their characters, is not unreasonable.

If race changes cost gold instead you wouldnt hear about it from either side. And im guessing, based on what happens when they change skills, zos would have dropped the cost of the race changes anyway. *If it was gold and not possible cash.

You didn't get my sarcasm.
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're free in the store, people will stock up on millions of them, so they can't really do that.
    However, they can give us more than one free race-and-name change. Three free ones is not unreasonable, considering how much they've screwed up many of our characters.
    Like that one developer said: what if you have 15 characters and they're all lizards?

My Bosmer, Argonians and Dunmer are all borked.
    At least my Bretons will get a buff.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on January 19, 2019 11:26PM
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The actual token Free in the store ?not unless they can find a way to put restrictions on it for that week which I doubt.

It might be much easier to create a new race/name change token "unique bind on char" and put it on a vendor in our faction areas for one week for 100 or 500g per char. That would be way more acceptable than paying RL money for balancing issues imho.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You didn't get my sarcasm.

I didnt. But to be fair a lot of people are saying this >.<