The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Altmer passives favor Sorcerers but Dunmer passives don't favor Dragonknights

Savos_Saren
Savos_Saren
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Plain and simply put:

High Elf (Which has mostly been best in slot for a Sorcerer)
Increases Experience gain in Destruction Staff Skill Line by 15%, extra 1% Generic Experience gain → No changes
Spellcharge: 9% Magicka Recovery → Spell Recharge: Restore 575 Magicka or Stamina, based on whichever is higher, after activating a Class Ability. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds. Reduces damage taken by 5% while you are using an ability with a cast or channel time.

Sorcerers have 4 abilities that are channeled. DKs have 0 abilities that are channeled. This passive is obviously in favor of an Altmer to spec toward a Sorcerer.

Dunmer (Which has mostly been best in slot for a Dragonknight)
Receives nothing to benefit damage, regen, or protection above what an Altmer can offer for the DK class. There is no "class specific" passive secretly pushed into the Dunmer's passives, either. If ZOS tossed in an extra ultimate regen toward Dunmer- then we could see that it would be lenient toward a Dragonknight.

The health and stamina are minimal considering you can easily make up for those amounts via tristat enchantments. The extra magicka regen passives on an Altmer allow for more focus toward damage... while a Dunmer's lack of regen requires a focus toward regen instead of damage... which widens the gap of damage output between Altmer and Dunmer.

As a side note: I also consider Breton to be best in slot for a Templar Healer... since the regen is so damn high now. I'm glad for them. And the khajiit? They truly are the most versatile race between stamina and magicka specs (though not as tanky).

@ZOS_Gilliam Probably either remove the Altmer passive that favors Sorcerers or at least give Dunmers a slight passive that favors Dragonknights.
Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
Savos Saren
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if you’re serious...

If so, I think 2 of the 4 cast time abilities you’re referring to are summoning pets, which aren’t really cast mid-combat (especially since they don’t die in dungeons and trials now). The 3rd is the sustain ability, that is rarely used, specifically because it has a cast time. The only other cast time or channeled Sorc ability is Overload heavy attacks, which I don’t think anyone has ever used intentionally. Overload heavies only exist to annoy the user by getting stuck in that animation when attempting to do a light attack.

Your main example of pet Sorc actually was most hurt by the changes to Altmer. Spell damage benefits them least, where Max Magicka and % damage increases were better for pets.

The only cast time ability Sorcerers actually use is channeled acceleration, which is available to all classes (and synergizes best with Templars and Nightblades, since they do better with crit builds).

If anything, the Altmer passive favors Templar, with it’s list of useful cast time and channeled skills (sweeps, beams, dark flare, solar barrage, remembrance). Dragon knights should be thankful they don’t have to deal with these kinds of clunky animations. I would gladly take 5% more damage if it meant every skill was instant cast.

I don’t have any problem to a Dunmer MagDK buff, but this is a very strange way to approach that subject.

Edit: Just in case, please don’t claim that Crystal Frags has a cast time, or that anyone uses the other morph effectively.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 19, 2019 9:18AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks on Dunmer change, very biased request, Dunmers have been great sorcs for a while. Let's keep it so there's flex between the two. Rather than wreck something for others to suit oneself.

The point of the changes were less pigeon holing i thought

In essence however we shall never know if the motive behind certain changes is to try to encourage a £15 race change as much as possible, i don't like to think like that however one does ponder.

My sorc is staying dunmer regardless
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should Dragon Knight benefit from a specific race?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Let's keep it so there's flex between the two. Rather than wreck something for others to suit oneself.

But there is no flex between the two, altmer is simply better

Edited by clocksstoppe on January 19, 2019 10:46AM
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really feel like with every patch that comes my Dunmer Mag Sorcerer is 5% weaker, like what the hell ZOS, why do you hate Dunmers so much? I lost like 6% Magicka but I gained 500hp, whoopty-!@#(*&-doo!
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I look at comments like these and can't help but laugh.

Altmer: Better at magic DPS with a Sorc
    Dunmer: Better at Stamina DPS while still being a decent Magic DPS option on top of some Tanking potential added on top.

It's a case of exchanging some magical potency for a wider arching flexibility, which is still pretty lorefriendly, considering everything we know about the Dunmer suggests that they're very versatile in all fields and these new passives are universally useful vs just being a Magic race with some extra stamina.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on January 19, 2019 2:27PM
    Argonian forever
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overall, in lore, dunmers are more well rounded and this change reflects that. Okay but maybe I am crazy but as I read it more and more I feel that not only did dunmer get more well rounded (and also better for hyrbids) but more buffed in a small way. The other destructive damage, frost and shock, was only 2% and now all magic damage is increased by 258 spell damage... isn't that a small buff for some? The math people will see when this hits PTS. But I feel Ice Mage players and sorcs might have benefited from this a little.
    Edited by OtarTheMad on January 19, 2019 3:58PM
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    Overall, in lore, dunmers are more well rounded and this change reflects that.

Overall, in lore, Altmer were very weak against magic damage. This change is the opposite of that.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

Why should Sorcerer benefit from a certain race?

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Terion_Fyr
    Terion_Fyr
    ✭✭✭
    Plain and simply put:

High Elf (Which has mostly been best in slot for a Sorcerer)
    Increases Experience gain in Destruction Staff Skill Line by 15%, extra 1% Generic Experience gain → No changes
    Spellcharge: 9% Magicka Recovery → Spell Recharge: Restore 575 Magicka or Stamina, based on whichever is higher, after activating a Class Ability. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds. Reduces damage taken by 5% while you are using an ability with a cast or channel time.

Sorcerers have 4 abilities that are channeled. DKs have 0 abilities that are channeled. This passive is obviously in favor of an Altmer to spec toward a Sorcerer.

Receives nothing to benefit damage, regen, or protection above what an Altmer can offer for the DK class. There is no "class specific" passive secretly pushed into the Dunmer's passives, either. If ZOS tossed in an extra ultimate regen toward Dunmer- then we could see that it would be lenient toward a Dragonknight.

The health and stamina are minimal considering you can easily make up for those amounts via tristat enchantments. The extra magicka regen passives on an Altmer allow for more focus toward damage... while a Dunmer's lack of regen requires a focus toward regen instead of damage... which widens the gap of damage output between Altmer and Dunmer.

As a side note: I also consider Breton to be best in slot for a Templar Healer... since the regen is so damn high now. I'm glad for them. And the khajiit? They truly are the most versatile race between stamina and magicka specs (though not as tanky).

@ZOS_Gilliam Probably either remove the Altmer passive that favors Sorcerers or at least give Dunmers a slight passive that favors Dragonknights.

I mean, there are so many possibilitys which actually work and you dont even know....

Even a Highelf can be a usefull Tank for every class. Different builds, different possibilitys.
  • Vogtard
    Vogtard
    ✭✭✭
    The altmer passive doesn't really favor anybody in particular. Maybe templars a bit but it's not as obvious and specific as the extra fire damage. I absolutely do not see any reason for dunmers to be related to dragon knights. The dunmers' affinity to fire is exhibited by their increased resistance to that element, but that's useful for every class.

Sure, there are races better suited for magicka, there are races better suited for stamina, but none should favor a specific class.

Personally, I hate the fire damage bonus on my dunmer sorcerer because I chose this race to be able to switch between mag and stam. On a stam sorc, it's just a complete waste. I would also like to have dunmer stamblade because I like dark elves. The upcoming update intends to fix that and I think it's awesome. It might need a tweak or two but I believe the overall idea is great.
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think you are clutching at straws.

I main a magsorc and have never used a channeled abilty.

1/10 for trying to get sorcs nerfed again
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    molecule wrote: »
    Think you are clutching at straws.

I main a magsorc and have never used a channeled abilty.

1/10 for trying to get sorcs nerfed again

I never said to nerf sorcs. I pointed out the fact that Altmer has a very specific racial ability that benefits certain classes.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Dunmer is a magplar (fire) and my Argonian is a magDK (scales) 😊
    Edited by mateosalvaje on January 19, 2019 4:59PM
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭

Truth has been spoken!
    Edited by SkillzMFG on January 19, 2019 11:39PM
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Let's keep it so there's flex between the two. Rather than wreck something for others to suit oneself.

But there is no flex between the two, altmer is simply better

Entitlement!
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Additional Ulti regen for dunmer actually will be useful not only for dunmer DK as DD but also for dark elf tanks and healers on all classes, its helps hybrids diversity as well, I really support this proposition for dunmers, give us something to be on par with altmers, redguards, argonians and nords, they all have some sort of support for they roles, 600HP is joke.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So what you're saying is that it's a buff if you use cast time abilities?
    *wipes tear from eye*
    It's like Wrobel is still here with us
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You obviously got hurt by Sorcs.
    Altmer will now benefit more magplar then sorc, but yea #NerfSorc right!

• Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »

You obviously got hurt by Sorcs.
    Altmer will now benefit more magplar then sorc, but yea #NerfSorc right!

Who said anything about nerfing a sorc? I'm talking about two races with their archetypes- and trying to make sure one isn't made less relevant. Sounds like you got hurt by a DK and don't want them to be viable any more. ;)

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • CrimsonGTX
    CrimsonGTX
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you bringing up Sorcs? The Spell Recharge passive is likely more beneficial to Templars who have channeled abilities.

Receives nothing to benefit damage, regen, or protection above what an Altmer can offer for the DK class.
    What do u mean Dunmer didn't receive anything to benefit damage? They got a 258 SD/WD, 1250 Mag/Stam, and their classic Fire resistance. Dunmer don't need recovery, that never been in their spec like a Altmer.

Overall, in lore, Altmer were very weak against magic damage. This change is the opposite of that.
    Altmer has no resistance in their kit while Breton and Dark Elf do, so they are weaker to magic than those two.
    Sorc & Warden Main - PC NA(CP 1k+) & Xbox NA (CP 1k+)
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CrimsonGTX wrote: »
    Why are you bringing up Sorcs? The Spell Recharge passive is likely more beneficial to Templars who have channeled abilities.

Receives nothing to benefit damage, regen, or protection above what an Altmer can offer for the DK class.
    What do u mean Dunmer didn't receive anything to benefit damage? They got a 258 SD/WD, 1250 Mag/Stam, and their classic Fire resistance. Dunmer don't need recovery, that never been in their spec like a Altmer.

Altmer has no resistance in their kit while Breton and Dark Elf do, so they are weaker to magic than those two.

@CrimsonGTX
    I'm saying that Dunmer get the same damage as an Altmer (258 spell damage... even less because of less resource pools, though), no regen, and not much more protection above what the Altmer can bring to the DK class. You'd have to swap your Dunmer to an Altmer for better damage and regen. The fire resistance is nice... but it's only one form of damage compared to all the lighting, ice, bleeds, poison, disease, and oblivion damage in PVP.

Because of an Altmer's regen- it can spec more toward damage. But a Dunmer has no regen- so it has to spec toward that instead. Altmer, by far, would have more damage as a DK now.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CrimsonGTX wrote: »

Exactly, a Dunmer MagDk has to build for SOME Sustain. Beyond that, if you can add ANYTHING add DAMAGE. Having built for sustain ZOS is proposing MORE spell damage AND some additional lil things like weapon damage and stamina so to me it’s a buff.

I run DW Destro and have to hit folks with my swords to proc glyphs. I weave a light attack with every whip for that and to generate ulti. With more stam I can block cast more in a pinch. It’s all win win. Hope it all goes live.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on January 21, 2019 12:02AM