The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What happened to refunds after major gameplay changes? A blast from the past (with pictures)

Suddwrath
Suddwrath
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
In the past, when major changes were made to gameplay players were refunded with their skill points/champion points/attribute points or were allowed to respec for only 1 gold per point.

By definition, are the racial passive changes not considered a major gameplay change? It would be nice if ZOS followed what they have done in the past, especially since the only options in this case would be to 1) Spend actual money to buy race change tokens, 2) Re-roll their character completely and grind back to where they were, or 3) Keep their character as-is even if it is no longer as optimal as it was before.

With some end-game players having 10+ characters and others not having the time to completely re-roll their characters, it would be a good gesture from ZOS to the community if they allowed players to change their races for free for a short amount of time to adjust to these gameplay changes.

Edit: This is not about refunding skill points, but rather the concept of ZOS allowing players to temporarily do something for free due to gameplay changes. In the past, when skills were changed ZOS allowed the players to respec for free. With the races themselves being changed, the concept of ZOS allowing players to swap races for free for a short amount of time to adjust to these changes would be nice.

oFHyG4T.png

b67Vsc1.png

prGhiWd.png

FbDpJ5m.png

wVP4Yk9.png

RZFkCpb.png

E7McUuN.png

IENegd0.png

@ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_GinaBruno
Edited by Suddwrath on January 18, 2019 5:31PM
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The announcement already said they were refunding the skill points from the racial passives and that we wouldn't lose any progress made in those lines...
    Edited by Siohwenoeht on January 18, 2019 5:16PM
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The announcement already said they were refunding the skill points from the racial passives and that we wouldn't lose any progress made in those lines...

This is referring to players who want to change their race due to these changes.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Straight from the bottom of Gil's post:

"As a closing note, we want to reiterate that all players will have a refund of all of their character’s racial passives if they’ve spent any, so remember to reallocate any points into these on your characters once the changes go live. We'll also be granting one free race change, per account."
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

"As a closing note, we want to reiterate that all players will have a refund of all of their character’s racial passives if they’ve spent any, so remember to reallocate any points into these on your characters once the changes go live. We'll also be granting one free race change, per account."

This is referring to players who want to change their race due to these changes.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think we've got a barrier here... All players will have all skill points from racial passives refunded on all their characters. Doesn't matter if you use a race change token or not, once the changes are live, you'll get to allocate those points back into racials.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SaltySudd wrote: »

But you are trying to argue precedent for a refund. But only skill point refunds have been done in the past, and they are being done now. So you have offered zero evidence that they have set a precedence that the race changes themselves should be up for refund.

Now, I do think that more than 1 token would be nice. I myself will be re-rolling 4 characters to avoid spending money on tokens. But I am not going to sit here and act like they owe it to us.
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think we've got a barrier here... All players will have all skill points from racial passives refunded on all their characters. Doesn't matter if you use a race change token or not, once the changes are live, you'll get to allocate those points back into racials.

This thread isn't about the skill points themselves being refunded, but rather ZOS allowing players to do something for free which would otherwise cost them gold/crowns. So since the races themselves are being changed, it would be nice if ZOS allowed players to change their races for free for a short amount of time similar to how they did it with skill reworks in the past.
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Now, I do think that more than 1 token would be nice. I myself will be re-rolling 4 characters to avoid spending money on tokens. But I am not going to sit here and act like they owe it to us.

I'm not necessarily arguing that they owe it to us, but rather that they have shown us good faith in the past. Their stance could have simply been to not refund anything at all with skill reworks, but they have.

So with that precedent in mind, it would just be nice if ZOS allowed players to do this one thing for free as well for a short amount of time.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This thread isn't about the skill points themselves being refunded, but rather ZOS allowing players to do something for free which would otherwise cost them gold/crowns. So since the races themselves are being changed, it would be nice if ZOS allowed players to change their races for free for a short amount of time similar to how they did it with skill reworks in the past.

My bad... Did not understand that from original post... Need more coffee. <3
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My bad... Did not understand that from original post... Need more coffee. <3

All is well! :)

I added an edit since I can see where the confusion may have come from with the "refunds".

Enjoy your coffee!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Fl2JJLQSMaYe9eVEJ2%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened is after ZOS allowed a free respec, too many people whined that they didn't want to have to respec so ZOS listened to them and did away with free respecs.
  • Aluneth
    Aluneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    The refunds in the past, haven't cost ZOS any money. They'll refund your skills, but they're not giving away free services (minus that one race change).
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aluneth wrote: »
    The refunds in the past, haven't cost ZOS any money. They'll refund your skills, but they're not giving away free services (minus that one race change).

But skill respec scrolls are in the crown store, so it could be argued that it could have cost them since there are players who use those scrolls rather than paying with gold.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aluneth wrote: »

But skill respec scrolls are in the crown store, so it could be argued that it could have cost them since there are players who use those scrolls rather than paying with gold.

But, the skill respecs are already an in-game mechanic that costs gold. Race change is not.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since they offer 1 skill Respec and 1 attribute Respec as a leveling reward I could get behind them offering a racial token as a level reward too. Kind of a "Yay! Level 50... But my build is a hot mess..." fix.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you are trying to argue precedent for a refund. But only skill point refunds have been done in the past, and they are being done now. So you have offered zero evidence that they have set a precedence that the race changes themselves should be up for refund.

I'll sit here and say it outright that they owe it to us.

Time and again ZOS takes the path of most profit, and leaves goodwill in the dust.

This racial change business is no different. They had ample opportunity to take the consumer-friendly path and offer a racial change to every character, but instead they give us one pittance token and force us to choose only one character out of up to 15.

This behavior is clearly meant to push players towards the Crown Store to buy tokens. There is nothing stopping ZOS from offering free changes - as the OP has pointed out, their attitude in the past has always been to give free changes, to allow players to adjust after a major change.

That ZOS chose to go this "choose one" route instead is very telling.
    PC-NA Goat
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Time and again ZOS takes the path of most profit, and leaves goodwill in the dust.

This racial change business is no different. They had ample opportunity to take the consumer-friendly path and offer a racial change to every character, but instead they give us one pittance token and force us to choose only one character out of up to 15.

This behavior is clearly meant to push players towards the Crown Store to buy tokens. There is nothing stopping ZOS from offering free changes - as the OP has pointed out, their attitude in the past has always been to give free changes, to allow players to adjust after a major change.

Why on earth would I want 10 racial change tokens clogging my inventory? It's full enough as it is.

And the only reason we have race change in the first place is because people begged for it.

So be careful what you wish for, or something along those lines.

(And yes, if they ever introduce a class change token, it will be the exact same thing. Every time there's a change people will whine and complain).
    The Moot Councillor
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They claimed they'd refund skill points to skills and skill lines that change not races and classes you're digging way to hard to try to be right...
  • desciviib14_ESO
    desciviib14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I'm not necessarily arguing that they owe it to us, but rather that they have shown us good faith in the past. Their stance could have simply been to not refund anything at all with skill reworks, but they have.

So with that precedent in mind, it would just be nice if ZOS allowed players to do this one thing for free as well for a short amount of time.

I think this sums up the situation well. Well said
    There is nothing here of interest to any nations; as a matter of fact, there is nothing here but people.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

Why on earth would I want 10 racial change tokens clogging my inventory? It's full enough as it is.

They could very easily offer the extra free tokens in the Crown Store. That's exactly how special event starter quests are handled, so those not wanting to participate don't have to worry about stuff clogging their inventory. It's a bit selfish to argue no one should get them just because you don't want to be bothered by them.

More importantly, things like Race Change Tokens don't even go to character inventory and are only accessible from the Character Selection Menu. Even if they did give more than 1 free, it would only show there as a little number over the ever present Race Change button at the bottom of the screen.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • ValorieW
    ValorieW
    ✭✭✭
    These planned race changes are going to cost me at LEAST 150 bucks to correct the problems they are creating in my builds. I’m furious. I’m not pre ordering the new chapter, and I’m not sure I will even keep playing if all this goes through. One token? Ha! That’s nothing but an insult. I’ve spent money for race changes a couple of times to correct my own mistakes— but these aren’t MY mistakes. The more I think about it, the angrier I get.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The reason it doesn't happen anymore is because people complained about it every time stuff was changed.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Gronk
    Gronk
    ✭✭✭
    Yes people forgot their cp distribution and were mad .
    Old Guard since Jan 2014
    "Read more, Post less."
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well they do respect everything in there as far as i know you have your skillpoint back
    The never said they were handing out race change token
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

And the only reason we have race change in the first place is because people begged for it.

So be careful what you wish for, or something along those lines.

(And yes, if they ever introduce a class change token, it will be the exact same thing. Every time there's a change people will whine and complain).

Um, tokens don't go to your inventory. They sit on your character selection screen. They're not in-game items.

Regardless, it doesn't even have to be tokens. They could just add a button to the character screen for 2 weeks that lets you change race.
    PC-NA Goat
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who doesn’t take all their racials?
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom