Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why are streamers so unjustly glorified in every game, despite there being far better players?

Nyladreas
Nyladreas
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Title. I'm just confused why people glorify and accredit people who decided to slap a camera in front of their face and make fools of themselves, despite there being literally hundreds of far better players ingame who don't seek any sort of attention.

I guess the same question could be asked about real life celebrities, most of which make me barf and roll my eyes, but yeah... How come?

Seems silly and stupid, especially when I see so many people (fans) completely unable to think for themselves, or follow the crowd cause it's "cool".

Kinda sad.
Edited by Nyladreas on January 17, 2019 9:11PM
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cause they are in the public eye.

People that are really good play the game and thats why they are good.

• Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why has an egg gotten more votes on instragram than another vapid thing that also doesn't deserve votes?

Welcome to the wacky new world of croudsourced celebrity.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because no one knows who any of the better players are.

It's hard to be show interest in someone who doesn't put themself out there to be seen by a bigger audience.

As an example, I couldn't tell you any top PC NA PvP players because I don't play PC NA, but I could tell you PC NA streamers who PvP.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I understand this. What I do NOT understand is what actually makes people believe they're good? It makes no sense to me.

Also, quite ironically, the actually good players who DO stream as well are usually barely popular. Don't know anyone specifically in ESO like that but wow had plenty.
    Edited by Nyladreas on January 17, 2019 9:09PM
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free marketing
    People who stream have viewers
    Viewers watch then play
    Once they play they spend money

“Good” Players who don’t slap a camera in front of their face and make fools of themselves have no audience and no reach.

It’s really not that hard to understand at all with the added benefit of a censure over streamers comments and coverage
    Edited by acw37162 on January 17, 2019 9:11PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be fun to wait until the new chapter is out and we see twitch streamer that NEVER play eso regularly but have huge audiences just randomly playing ESO again.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

I understand this. What I do NOT understand is what actually makes people believe they're good? It makes no sense to me.

It's groupthink mentality meets name recognition.

Followers often jade themselves into believing their leader is the greatest. It's how they rationalize their behavior.
    PC-NA Goat
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Also, quite ironically, the actually good players who DO stream as well are usually barely popular. Don't know anyone specifically in ESO like that but wow had plenty.

I don't think people glorify them because the are "good" or better than other players. It's cause they put themselves out there. So they are excited to talk to, or interact with literally a global celebrity.
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's kind of the same with TV shows. There are good and bad ones, but those who have the lowest niveau are watched the most. Just laughing that even those receive hundreds of Euro from unknown donators for just streaming blabla.

I even think a lot of really good ESO players would never do streaming, just because they don't like to be in front of a camera and to be watched all the time. So there would be a lot of potential in the community, but most of them don't want a camera. Can understand that though.

I still try to watch some Twitchlers and find new ones as well and if I like them, they get a follow. So i think the potential is growing as well, just need more players to try it maybe.

And to mention as well: There are a lot of nice streamers as well, competent, funny, humorous, so it's even fun to watch.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chufu wrote: »
    And to mention as well: There are a lot of nice streamers as well, competent, funny, humorous, so it's even fun to watch.

These are the only ones that I regularly watch, and IMHO people should focus more on these "traits" and channels. :)
  • LaveniaRose
    LaveniaRose
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you even care? I don't understand all the recent streamer threads. They're streaming however makes sense for them. And you can watch or not watch. I watch a couple of streamers as background noise while I play. There's many, many more I don't watch because their humor isn't my favorite or I don't like the pace of their gameplay etc. But I don't feel any need to have strong opinions on either group. Best of luck to the streamers that are recognized as good players and the glorified overrated ones.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do you even care? I don't understand all the recent streamer threads. They're streaming however makes sense for them. And you can watch or not watch. I watch a couple of streamers as background noise while I play. There's many, many more I don't watch because their humor isn't my favorite or I don't like the pace of their gameplay etc. But I don't feel any need to have strong opinions on either group. Best of luck to the streamers that are recognized as good players and the glorified overrated ones.

I care because people often point or go to them for advice or even use them to prove some random points. Or in the worst case, reflect on their words when it comes to gameplay and even development.

I also care because I'm genuinely concerned about thinking of these blinded fine people (fans). Some won't even accept another answer to a problem, because Mr./Ms. Streamer said something.
    Edited by Nyladreas on January 17, 2019 9:21PM
  • LaveniaRose
    LaveniaRose
    ✭✭✭

I care because people often point or go to them for advice or even use them to prove some random points. Or in the worst case, reflect on their words when it comes to gameplay and even development.

That's a fair point. I think your original post was a bit harsh. But I this is a valid reason to dislike the size of their voice in the game.
    Edited by LaveniaRose on January 17, 2019 9:18PM
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never met a streamer who was good they're always terrible lol the only good streamer I know I've beaten.

Pretty funny, isn't it?
  • CrazYDunm3r
    CrazYDunm3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, streamers are usually entertaining to watch so people tend to watch with joy and copy their toughts or views on specific topics. For information from other people, you yourself should know who is a reliable source, but for newer players these streamers are very easy to watch and get somewhat good information from.

Since you already know these "better" people, you can turn to them, but I don't see any reason to change other people their views on a streamer unless they want to change it themselves. If they need to find this "better" player, they will find it during their encounters :)
    YouTube
    Triggered Tryhards
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, streamers are usually entertaining to watch so people tend to watch with joy and copy their toughts or views on specific topics. For information from other people, you yourself should know who is a reliable source, but for newer players these streamers are very easy to watch and get somewhat good information from.

Since you already know these "better" people, you can turn to them, but I don't see any reason to change other people their views on a streamer unless they want to change it themselves. If they need to find this "better" player, they will find it during their encounters :)

I'm not directly trying to change anyone's perspective on streamers. I am merely sharing my thoughts and asking a question :) it's up to every individual to figure out what they like and want to watch or listen to.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called marketing
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    people who decided to slap a camera in front of their face and make fools of themselves
    You don't sound bitter or jealous at all.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    people who decided to slap a camera in front of their face and make fools of themselves
    You don't sound bitter or jealous at all.

I may sound bitter, which I don’t mean to, I'm not a native English speaker.

Also, jealous of what exactly?
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Successful streamers have good personalities & are essentially entertainers. I think that quality attracts more viewers than being "the best" player at any game.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    Successful streamers have good personalities & are essentially entertainers. I think that quality attracts more viewers than being "the best" player at any game.

I understand that and I'm fully supporting that. If they're entertaining and get fame for that, good for them! :)

However, I'm asking a different question here. Why are some people glorifying them as the ultimate masters :)
    Edited by Nyladreas on January 17, 2019 9:40PM
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mindless people think they're the best and smart people know they're not. This is kinda like those "The most handsome man/beautiful woman on the planet" articles. Smart people know they're not the most handsome men/beautiful women on the planet because smart people know they only looked at famous people and not the entire planet.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most people aren't even good enough to tell the difference between very good and great players.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• ShimmeringWitchy
    ShimmeringWitchy
    Soul Shriven
    Streamers, depending on their skill-set, are the equivalent of crappy musicians or "celebrities" who somehow maintain a so-called fame/popularity for no real talent and/or apparent reason. i.e. the Kardashians.

I will say, however, that there are some talented streamers out there. It's just a matter of who is more flashy and sparkles on camera.
    ~ Loremaster ~ PvE ~ PC NA ~ Xbox NA ~
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »

I understand that and I'm fully supporting that. If they're entertaining and get fame for that, good for them! :)

However, I'm asking a different question here. Why are some people glorifying them as the ultimate masters :)

I'm guessing it's because although the successful streamers might not be the best players, they are good players & many viewers would see them as much better than themselves. IF the viewer had never personally played against someone better.. they would probably think the streamer is among the best players.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a generalization in the title. In Fortnite, for example, the best players are generally also streamers. That is how they monetize their skill.

In ESO, no one cares who the best players are. It isn't an e-sport. People care about who is entertaining and who is informative.

A better question is why some people are bothered by what other people like?
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nvm
    Edited by Loves_guars on January 17, 2019 9:59PM
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

To answer your question - Success

Success makes anyone believe that they are "good" and 'qualified' in whatever endeavor you want to name.

Now, my question to you is - Why do you care? What is it about streamers that irritates you sooooo much that you would bring this question to the forums?
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    A bit of a generalization in the title. In Fortnite, for example, the best players are generally also streamers. That is how they monetize their skill.

In ESO, no one cares who the best players are. It isn't an e-sport. People care about who is entertaining and who is informative.

A better question is why some people are bothered by what other people like?

I'm not bothered by the streamers being liked or popular. Not at all. I support that in fact.

What I AM bothered by, is how they're being seen as exceptionally good, and why do people sometimes think that whatever they say must be right.

There's nothing wrong with liking something for whatever reason. But to give someone credit for something they're not or to call someone the best when there are many better choices that remain unrecognized, is not something I can understand.
    Edited by Nyladreas on January 17, 2019 10:03PM
  • Flipityflu
    Flipityflu
    ✭✭✭
    because people have become sheep

The salty tears of Meta
This discussion has been closed.