Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A Tank’s view of proposed race changes.

BejaProphet
BejaProphet
✭✭✭✭✭
Just considering the four most traditional race choices.

Orc Did you just decide this isn’t a tank race? Because it’s not anymore.

Argonian. Got a nerf. Potion nerf probably fair but nobody likes a nerf. Biggest hit was with the healing changes. An argonian tank’s self heals we’re just nerfed from a 10% boost to a 4% boost. Combined with the other nerf this just ended the era of argonian tank meta. They will still be good tanks, particularly for anybody who struggles with resources but the new balance will encourage talented tanks to look Elsweyr. ;)

Imperial About the same, second best before changes and second best after. Will be a strong tank. Block passive is trash though, please change.

Nord Welcome to the new Meta. If you thought there was pressure to be an argonian then you haven’t seen anything yet. Any serious raid guild will 100% insist their tanks be nords. You just gave a solid tank race the extra the ability to boost the parse of a 12 man team. Game over, Nord will be the trial tank meta like nothing we have ever seen if this goes live. But I look forward to not being a lizard so I’m ok with it.
Edited by BejaProphet on January 17, 2019 8:41PM
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You nailed it, it's going to be Nord tank or vote kick - knowing how some people perceive meta.
    At least the Argonian tank meta allowed for any race to be equally efficient, as long as you were skilled enough to manage your resources.
  • Shezzarrine
    Shezzarrine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy my nord tank is finally getting some love, but I hate how boring and lackluster imperial racials are, not only for my imperial tank but for any other role.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You nailed it IMO.

Argonian still ok at tanking, but not king anymore - when I was hoping it would just be a three way tie for best instead.

Also nothing offered to help with DPS, which I was hoping for if they lost tanking bonuses.

As an Argonian tank this has been a rough couple of years. We've been frogs in the pot as it boils so-to-speak with all the nerfs to tanking the last couple years and now to this race. I'd like to have seen them roll out all the tanking nerfs over the couple years at once and see how well it went over.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatevs.

Dark Elf Necrotank 4 lyfe.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yay Nords
    RIP Orcs
    Whatever Imperial/Argonain

/Thread
    Argonian forever
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckily I already have a Nord DK. Just have to cure Lycanthropy, get the gear from my Argonian and get a vampire bite. And there I was thinking about deleting that char a few months ago.

Also, good thing I made my new Warden a Nord too.
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s funny about the nord all because of having ulti slotted and changing the rugged to flat value.
    Everyone is on that meta wagon.
    Don’t worry my nord will get a nerf if everyone just kicks tank cause they ain’t a nord.
    Few days ago I was on my DK. My mind was like damn if my DK had little bit more ulti then I could kick ass with resources well here we are with my race I use in all my classes got ulti regen.
    Come now if argonian is still going have the same passives then the ulti regen on nord be a shrug off the shoulder time and time again.
    Also why mention orc? They still be good tanks to have for resource return.
    You also forgot to mention Breton since they have spell resistance and reduce cost to magic which tanks use and magicka recovery.
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay Nords
    RIP Orcs
    Whatever Imperial/Argonain

/Thread

Pretty much. Did you want something more profound?

@sneakymitchell the Nord passive wont be overlooked by score run min makers, it just won’t. Bretons aren’t mentioned because they have never even been in the same ball park as a meta-tank discussion. Nothing wrong with tanking off meta, but I’m only considering the races that are, or that we might have expected to be, tank oriented races.

Just my opinions.
  • DoobZ69
    DoobZ69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my thoughts on my DK Dark Elf tank.

Dynamic: 6% Max Stamina and Magicka → Increases your Max Stamina and Magicka by 1250.
    As a tank my main resource regeneration is through the Constitution passive so I don't mind having a bigger stat pool as opposed to just static regeneration for those resources. This appears to be a fine set up for my tank. At low mag/stam I think this is almost a buff from the % design.

Resist Flame: 3% Max Magicka and 2079 Flame Resistance → Increases your Max Health by 600 and your Flame Resistance by 2310. You are immune to the Burning status effect.
    The Max HP and Flame Resist is an obvious bonus increase to the tank, especially because it allows me to more easily take advantage of the Vampire Bonuses such as resource generation and Damage Resist from the Undeath passive. The immunity to burning effect is not major but why not, I still PvP.

Destructive Ancestry: 7% Flame damage and 2% Frost/Shock Damage → Ruination: Increases your Weapon and Spell Damage by 258.
    The specific type of damage increase did barely anything for my tank. But Spell Damage increases all my spells which increases my healing, amongst other benefits, in turn helping my tanking. And the added weapon damage is just nice to have because it helps with solo/pvp situations.

Overall I'm happy because even though I'm not getting masses of HP for tanking, like other races can bring, I get a lot more versatility and other buffs in general. As a DK I barely need to try to be an effective tank so this suits me just fine. Just my 2 cents.
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do you think that that ultigen will be considered as tank metabreaker? If ultigen in trial was a problem MT would wear Dragon/werewolf combined with (ebon/alkosh and off tank would just complement the missing) sets nowadays which i dont think is happening right know. Nord getting flat resistances? It’s not that big of a deal for tank. Argonian remains very good with resources on demand. Imperial on the other hand... i dont know how will other passives increase those flat values... overall, I think they are more or less on par.
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I hope it goes through as is, I look forward to playing a Nord. So don’t hear my continued commenting as complaining. But I’ve been asked why I think the Nord is meta breaking so I’ll respond.

1. I’m not denying that there will be other fantastic tanks. We will see fabulously skilled and effective tanks of every race.

2. I’m not even saying that nords will have the best tools for tanking.

3. Imagine this scenario: tank A plays an argonian and never runs out of resources. He rocks it. Good job. Tank B plays a Nord never runs out of resources; he rocks, and in addition to that he is able to throw out war horns a little more quickly, a little more continuously than tank A.

Who wins?

It doesn’t matter which of these two races are more powerful at actually tanking. It doesn’t matter if argonian or imperials or whatever is equipped better for tanking or not. In a trial score run (meta) setting, a tank will be expected to overcome any other deficiency with the skill and deliver the increased group buffs. That’s how the trial meta works. That’s why tanks wear Alkosh.

It’s not about which race is the better rank. If this goes live then Nords have something that is simply in another category than any other race in the game. It’s no longer stat verses stat. It’s Nord ultimate gen verses every other race bringing NOTHING in that category.

Now on one level it’s small enough that only trial guilds pushing for top scores should care. But we know how that goes. The bleed down effect of trial expectations usually effect tank expectations in all venues.

But as I said. I’m excited to play a Nord. 😊
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is worth noting that we are being given this ultimate generation hand in hand with the best tank passives of any race. If they simply removed the passive entirely and gave us nothing at all in return Nords would arguably still be the best tanks.

Why would I say that? Imperials get 2000 health verses the nords 1000. And they get 500 more stamina, how can Nord compete with that? After all, a tank can already hit resistance cap without the nords armor.

Yes they can and I do. But now I can do something else instead, here’s my plan.

1. I now get to shift CP out of physical resistance and boost both my hardy and ele defender from 9% to 12%. After running the math that makes me tankier than the 1k extra health would. Nord wins in hardest to kill.

2. I ran 6 sturdy 2 reinforced to hit resistance caps. Now I can run 8 sturdy. Imperials get 5% reduced block cost? I just got 8%. Nord wins again.

With the extra ease in getting to mitigation cap, Nords can use that to buy things better than imperial passives. So they get 500 more stamina than Nords, Nord wins in every other way.....and then the extra ultimate generation is factored in.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's compare the relevant racials between Imperials & Nords (ignoring the ones that are frankly meaningless for tanking).

Imperial
    +2000 Health
    +2000 Stamina
    When you deal Direct Damage you have a 15% chance to heal for 1750.
    Reduces the cost of your Block and Bash abilities by 5%.

Nord
    +1000 Health
    +1500 Stamina
    When you take damage, you gain 5 Ultimate. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds.
    +2310 Cold Resistance
    +3960 Physical and Spell Resistance

The Imperial clearly comes out ahead in health, stamina, and healing received (through self-heals - the Nord gets no additional healing). A pretty noticeable advantage over Nord.

The Nord clearly comes out ahead in resistance, but for a real tank all that means is that you have a bit more flexibility in picking your gear/traits/CP because of the resistance cap (which any real tank will be at or almost at without the need of racials). Useful, but not that much of an advantage over Imperial.

So compare the block/bash cost reduction of the Imperial to the ultimate gain of the Nord. The block/bash cost reduction is nice, but a real tank will already have enough of this that it'll barely be noticed. The ultimate generation is also nice, but it's 0.5 ultimate per second, so it won't really make that big of a difference (if you're generating the standard 3 ulti per second plus 1 ulti every 1.5 seconds from Heroic Slash it's the difference between taking 69 seconds to have War Horn ready and taking 60 seconds to have it ready - if you're using an ulti generation build the difference in how long it takes for War Horn to be ready becomes even smaller: with Akaviri Dragonguard it's the difference between 58 seconds & 51 seconds). The ultimate generation is certainly better than the block/bash cost reduction, and Nord definitely has an advantage over Imperial here, but not by as much as people seem to think.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is worth noting that we are being given this ultimate generation hand in hand with the best tank passives of any race. If they simply removed the passive entirely and gave us nothing at all in return Nords would arguably still be the best tanks.

Why would I say that? Imperials get 2000 health verses the nords 1000. And they get 500 more stamina, how can Nord compete with that? After all, a tank can already hit resistance cap without the nords armor.

Yes they can and I do. But now I can do something else instead, here’s my plan.

1. I now get to shift CP out of physical resistance and boost both my hardy and ele defender from 9% to 12%. After running the math that makes me tankier than the 1k extra health would. Nord wins in hardest to kill.

2. I ran 6 sturdy 2 reinforced to hit resistance caps. Now I can run 8 sturdy. Imperials get 5% reduced block cost? I just got 8%. Nord wins again.

With the extra ease in getting to mitigation cap, Nords can use that to buy things better than imperial passives. So they get 500 more stamina than Nords, Nord wins in every other way.....and then the extra ultimate generation is factored in.
    lol in the time it took me to write up my post you went into way more detail than I did on what the Nord's resistance bonuses actually mean: more flexibility in getting to the cap.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Argonian. Got a nerf. Potion nerf probably fair but nobody likes a nerf. Biggest hit was with the healing changes. An argonian tank’s self heals we’re just nerfed from a 10% boost to a 4% boost. Combined with the other nerf this just ended the era of argonian tank meta. They will still be good tanks, particularly for anybody who struggles with resources but the new balance will encourage talented tanks to look Elsweyr. ;)

Imperial About the same, second best before changes and second best after. Will be a strong tank. Block passive is trash though, please change.

Nord Welcome to the new Meta. If you thought there was pressure to be an argonian then you haven’t seen anything yet. Any serious raid guild will 100% insist their tanks be nords. You just gave a solid tank race the extra the ability to boost the parse of a 12 man team. Game over, Nord will be the trial tank meta like nothing we have ever seen if this goes live. But I look forward to not being a lizard so I’m ok with it.

If they can find enough tanks to be choosy about it :D
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    3. Imagine this scenario: tank A plays an argonian and never runs out of resources. He rocks it. Good job. Tank B plays a Nord never runs out of resources; he rocks, and in addition to that he is able to throw out war horns a little more quickly, a little more continuously than tank A.

Who wins?

It doesn’t matter which of these two races are more powerful at actually tanking. It doesn’t matter if argonian or imperials or whatever is equipped better for tanking or not. In a trial score run (meta) setting, a tank will be expected to overcome any other deficiency with the skill and deliver the increased group buffs. That’s how the trial meta works. That’s why tanks wear Alkosh.

It’s not about which race is the better rank. If this goes live then Nords have something that is simply in another category than any other race in the game. It’s no longer stat verses stat. It’s Nord ultimate gen verses every other race bringing NOTHING in that category.

Ok, but in trial, you have 4 people throwing horns, therefore maintaining 100% uptime even right now - I've tried to theorycraft the best horn uptimes, combinations and order like last year(and meta hasn't shifted since then) and the result that came out is that it doesnt matter if I can blow my horn every 50 sec instead of 60. However in small trials and dungeons it will make a difference in my opinion.
    Nord is definitely becoming better and ultigen is nice, but not that OP to consider it as metabreaking.
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not suggesting the ulti gen is that powerful. It’s not. My argument is simply that it is in a class of its own. No other race even has a dog in the race so to speak. And if we don’t think meta theory crafters pay attention to such things we haven’t paid attention.

But ironically im glad for each person that disagrees with me. I really want to play the new Nord. But if they are gonna nerf it I want them to do it now so I don’t have to race change yet again.
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% Warhorn uptime is not the real goal - as it is relatively easy to achieve in a coordinated group.

The real goal is Major Force uptime.
    And one warhorn 9 secs sooner means 9 secs more Major Force uptime for each Warhorn, and that is why the new Nord passive will boosts DPS by quite a lot during a trial fight, thus making Nord tanks absolutely meta, with no other competition.

They could even not have any other real tanking passive (but they do), they would still be Meta because of that particular passive.
    It would be up to player skill to make up for the lack of other useful passives for tanking, just like they do with Alkosh, a trash set for tanking except for the 5 piece bonus.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arciris wrote: »
    100% Warhorn uptime is not the real goal - as it is relatively easy to achieve in a coordinated group.

And one warhorn 9 secs sooner means 9 secs more Major Force uptime for each Warhorn, and that is why the new Nord passive will boosts DPS by quite a lot during a trial fight, thus making Nord tanks absolutely meta, with no other competition.

They could even not have any other real tanking passive (but they do), they would still be Meta because of that particular passive.
    It would be up to player skill to make up for the lack of other useful passives for tanking, just like they do with Alkosh, a trash set for tanking except for the 5 piece bonus.

This is what I’m trying to say. Thank you.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They all seem fine and within reason to me.

I had no issues playing my Argonians in Thieves Guild, and I will have no problem playing them this following patch.

9 seconds sooner =/= 9 seconds more on Major Force uptime. Nord passive is about a 15% increase on standard tank ultgen, which translates to 15% faster horns which translates to roughly 15% greater WH uptime provided by that specific player which isn't negligible by itself, is fairly negligible amongst a 4 horn rotation where you're looking at about a 37 second uptime on major force in any given 4 man horn rotation vice a 36 second one.

This is also a zero-sum problem as well. In order for the passive to be beneficial, it needs to provide nearly an entire Warhorn worth of value else total warhorn usage and total maj. force uptime remains the same. Any instance where you would hold your ult until optimal usage further devalues the passive. It's useful but it's not that amazing in PVE.
    Edited by usmcjdking on January 18, 2019 4:59PM
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »

I had no issues playing my Argonians in Thieves Guild, and I will have no problem playing them this following patch.

9 seconds sooner =/= 9 seconds more on Major Force uptime. Nord passive is about a 15% increase on standard tank ultgen, which translates to 15% faster horns which translates to roughly 15% greater WH uptime provided by that specific player which isn't negligible by itself, is fairly negligible amongst a 4 horn rotation where you're looking at about a 37 second uptime on major force in any given 4 man horn rotation vice a 36 second one.

This is also a zero-sum problem as well. In order for the passive to be beneficial, it needs to provide nearly an entire Warhorn worth of value else total warhorn usage and total maj. force uptime remains the same. Any instance where you would hold your ult until optimal usage further devalues the passive. It's useful but it's not that amazing in PVE.

Correct. It’s not that powerful. It’s just without any competition in the other races.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In the past the races really only had self buffs, so whilst it might have been easier as an argonian your sustain/stats would provide nothing extra as along as you had everyone buffed and everything debuffed. But now nords will be able to pump out more ults. In some circumstances it means little as there is already 100% horn uptime, but others nord will provide little bit extra.

I still think its a good change tbh.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Victory or Valhalla!
    ✭✭✭
    I just level an orc tank 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »

Correct. It’s not that powerful. It’s just without any competition in the other races.
    This is totally true.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, you forgot about Redguards.
    With new passive they will get 1K stamina every 5 seconds (as long as they deal direct dmg). So you can basiaclly like throw a caltrops on a group of mobs and watch your stamina go up. With the right setup it may be even possible to perma block.
    Short comparison:
    Argonians: 3.6K stamina every 45 seconds (when you drink a potion every 45 seconds).
    Redguard: during 45 seconds they will get 9 ticks so a whopping 9K stamina ! ! ! :o
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 18, 2019 7:43PM
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not hd much pressure on me to be pursegonian (and when, my answer is always that I keep my purse on my shoulder, not in raid, thanks; and if people ask, I am fine with ‘if I have to look at nothing but my own ass and a boss, I want that to be something I can do long term. You no likey? You’re welcome to get a different tank.’, and I doubt very much I’ll catch much flak for not changing to nord. If so, my answer will remain: ‘ok, get a different tank - I am ok with that.’

I mean I’m not going in there on a Breton or whatever (but people probably do fine on there) but Imperial remains a solid tank choice.

Orcs are rekt - but I personally don’t know very many orc tanks. I really don’t even know what orcs are good for except maybe PvP? I admit I’ve probably never even looked at their passives.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, you forgot about Redguards.
    With new passive they will get 1K stamina every 5 seconds (as long as they deal direct dmg). So you can basiaclly like throw a caltrops on a group of mobs and watch your stamina go up. With the right setup it may be even possible to perma block.
    Short comparison:
    Argonians: 3.6K stamina every 45 seconds (when you drink a potion every 45 seconds).
    Redguard: during 45 seconds they will get 9 ticks so a whopping 9K stamina ! ! ! :o

Lol, redguard slightly outshine 2nd place for tanking in one parameter! new meta! :D
    If you want full list of races it will be like:
    1. Nord
    2. Argonian
    3. Imperial
    4. Breton
    5+ Orc, Redguard, Dunmer, Khajiit, Bosmer, doesn't matter at all.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, Imperial was best, and is still good. Argonian is good because of that crutch passive, which for some strange reason wasn't nerfed as much as the healing passive. Will probably still be just as good. Nords will be interesting though, but I think it's being a little over hyped since resistance cap isn't hard to reach before the change, and it's not a huge chunk of extra ultimate. But still interesting. Guess we will see :)
    EU PC
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nord will certainly be a better choice than it used to be, but IMO Imperial and Argonian are still going to be great choices.

I've had a DK Nord tank since forever and always worked just fine even when lizards were BiS.

Imperials now have that nice block cost reduction so they are actually a better choice for tank then they used to be.

Just play whatever you want and build around it.
    Playing since beta...