The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

So I guess lore is completely being tossed now.

• myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of posts are already here explaining both dragons and necromancers. Both ARE lore-friendly.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heaven forbid the lore evolves to make good game content.

Stop acting like this game series is based on Tolkien or the Bible. It's not. THE LORE EXISTS TO SERVE THE GAME. Not vice versa. If retconning some elements of perceived lore makes a better game and more interesting content, I'm all for it.

• haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haelene wrote: »
    4 : The absolute best thing about tes lore is that nothing ever gives a complete picture ( like real history), so they're are things that can be missing out incorrect and that's completely normal.

Absolutely! As long as there is a good lore explanation for these Dragons being in this place at this time, and not on Esbern's list, I'm cool with it. I have a lot of faith that the writers will deliver. :)

I agree for sure. Where we differ is that I think we already do have a pretty solid idea of the lore. They were locked away by the dwemer or someone/someone's/something that had access to dwemer stuff - likely before the war against the dragons even happened and likely with Meridia's assistance. I doubt there would be any records because... well.. Tharn is not the only one who makes silly mistakes like he does in the trailer. People's curiosity or power lust or penchant for messing with stuff they don't understand and all that.

True, this is conjecture at this point - but given the clues, it's a pretty educated guess.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    4 : The absolute best thing about tes lore is that nothing ever gives a complete picture ( like real history), so they're are things that can be missing out incorrect and that's completely normal.

Absolutely! As long as there is a good lore explanation for these Dragons being in this place at this time, and not on Esbern's list, I'm cool with it. I have a lot of faith that the writers will deliver. :)

I agree for sure. Where we differ is that I think we already do have a pretty solid idea of the lore. They were locked away by the dwemer or someone/someone's/something that had access to dwemer stuff - likely before the war against the dragons even happened and likely with Meridia's assistance. I doubt there would be any records because... well.. Tharn is not the only one who makes silly mistakes like he does in the trailer. People's curiosity or power lust or penchant for messing with stuff they don't understand and all that.

True, this is conjecture at this point - but given the clues, it's a pretty educated guess.

Sounds good. I'd only add that they also need to work in why these events were forgotten about by the 4th Era and never ended up in Esbern's voluminous collection of Dragon lore. You might think that Dragons rampaging over Elsweyr at the same time as an invasion by an undead Imperial army would get written down somewhere. ;)
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Krayl wrote: »
    Heaven forbid the lore evolves to make good game content.

Stop acting like this game series is based on Tolkien or the Bible. It's not. THE LORE EXISTS TO SERVE THE GAME. Not vice versa. If retconning some elements of perceived lore makes a better game and more interesting content, I'm all for it.

Early Christian Church Councils decided which books would go into the Bible & which would be left out as not following the thinking at that time.

And Christopher Tolkien is responsible for Middle Earth being untouchable - iirc JRR wanted the stories to be more like new myths/legends for England - and legends & myths are always changing to fit the times & new interpretations.

And so to those wibbling on about dragons being lore-breaking - if the creator of the lore says they fit, then they fit!

• xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Gawd you people act like you’ve never heard of the Multiverse!!!!
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good. I'd only add that they also need to work in why these events were forgotten about by the 4th Era and never ended up in Esbern's voluminous collection of Dragon lore. You might think that Dragons rampaging over Elsweyr at the same time as an invasion by an undead Imperial army would get written down somewhere. ;)

To be fair - how often do you hear about other major historical events that happened during the same time as the holocaust? People remember the worst stuff and the stuff that affects them personally/happened in the location they live. I think the war in Cyrodill would be more impactfull to more people as whole, especially in a time where there's no internet and writings/history is so easily lost.

Also, by that logic (though I agree with it), we also need to discuss why mention of Molag Bal literally trying to stuff Nirn into Coldharbor wasn't in the history books. :P Seriously. Dude was trying to merge plains and no one seems to remember that!
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair - how often do you hear about other major historical events that happened during the same time as the holocaust? People remember the worst stuff and the stuff that affects them personally/happened in the location they live. I think the war in Cyrodill would be more impactfull to more people as whole, especially in a time where there's no internet and writings/history is so easily lost.

Also, by that logic (though I agree with it), we also need to discuss why mention of Molag Bal literally trying to stuff Nirn into Coldharbor wasn't in the history books. :P Seriously. Dude was trying to merge plains and no one seems to remember that!

doesn't he constantly do that? its like his thing, he believes that Nirn belongs to him and keeps trying to take it over, so just one more try form him, wouldn't be all that significant, especially since it failed. again.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

doesn't he constantly do that? its like his thing, he believes that Nirn belongs to him and keeps trying to take it over, so just one more try form him, wouldn't be all that significant, especially since it failed. again.

Well, it got pretty close - you would think it would at least come up in the fighter's guild / mage's guild histories that they worked together despite the war and it was awesome, and blah blah blah, we bested him and all that.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was just a troll post, and a good one at it. The OP has not said anything afterwards, so obviously there wasn't any merit to his allegations.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO is taking place 705 years before Arena, and over a 1000 years before Skyrim. I wouldn't trust the veracity of "lore" that old in the real world, let alone in a game world. Too many folks get their knickers in a bunch by confusing their Elder Scrolls "religion" (lore about an ancient time used to augment the world-building in other ES games) with Elder Scrolls "fact" (what the devs actually implement in each game).
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you played Skyrim, you know that dead dragons can get resurrected, so even if they are dead in this time period, all we need to have them back is ... necromancers!
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lore, lore, lore. Everybody thinks they are a loremaster now. It should be a class in ESO.

Skill line 1: Complain about lore

You know that everything added could be added to the lore, or as a seperate incident that was not forseen or written by the Elderscrolls.

I mean most stuff in ESO is already "Lore broken"

To name a few:

- Dragon knights
    - Stamina spells
    - Elderscrolls in Cyrodill. These things locations should not be known, and as someone did they would relocate themselves to another area. Just as the amount of scrolls nobody knows as they will increase of decrease at a whim
    - Cyrodill is supposed to be a jungle
    - Cropsford is there but hasn't even been founded

But as the endcredits of the game already sais: "Based on the Elderscrolls"

cough.. cough cough... ooh, i got a cold.

And even so, i am glad they add stuff to the game. Lorebreaking or not. As long as people have fun fighting dragons. I know i look forward to it.
    Edited by Knootewoot on January 16, 2019 7:53PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can imagine the danger from dragon unleash in Elsewyr and the other province are too busy and paying no attention (cause vanilla dont get script update).
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Lore, lore, lore. Everybody thinks they are a loremaster now. It should be a class in ESO.

You know that everything added could be added to the lore, or as a seperate incident that was not forseen or written by the Elderscrolls.

To name a few:

- Dragon knights
    - Stamina spells
    - Elderscrolls in Cyrodill. These things locations should not be known, and as someone did they would relocate themselves to another area. Just as the amount of scrolls nobody knows as they will increase of decrease at a whim

So it isn't a prequel or follow up to the TES series. It's rather a seperate alternate reality of the game.

And even so, i am glad they add stuff to the game. Lorebreaking or not. As long as people have fun fighting dragons. I know i look forward to it.

You had me until you said Alternate Reality. Lol

That's never been confirmed, it has indeed been denied. Even if it was a Dragon Break, everything in ESO would still be canon.
    Edited by Claudman on January 16, 2019 7:27PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even in Skryim there were Dragons still around that had nothing to do with Alduin or the storyline that had just stayed hidden away. So this is just a bad complaint made by people looking to whine IMO.

As for necromancy being against lore? How so? Are you suggesting there cannot be a class for a type of enemy we run into non-stop in the game? Someone is obviously teaching necromancy and spreading it. What class are all those necromancers I keep running into? I think tying it into the justice system is a nice touch personally (I feel like they should do the same with vampric abilities or someone wolfing out as well IMO).

And let's stop pretending Bethesda is somehow godly with their lore responsibilities when they make games and never take liberties. coughfo76cough I feel ZoS is more careful with how they work the lore into creating new stories than Bethesda tbh.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    If you want to get technical, one of the Dungeons in the DLC is a Dwemer ruin. Sooo, we are talking about artifacts from when the Dwemer were around, and they disappeared in the middle of the1st era. So, it is entirely plausible that the Dwemer locked up a number of dragons before they disappeared, maybe even before the 1st era even began and the Dragonguard have no way of accounting for these missing dragons, so they assumed them dead, or just did not know of them to begin with.

*coughBlackReachcough*
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want a plausible story to get your mind to accept this lore update? Here's some thoughts. As pointed out during the live cast, there are no baby dragons and no children in ESO.

The children were sent into the future to ensure that they survived Molag Bal. A population without children to carry on the knowledge has to rely on only a written history that can be lost. Everyone dies and Cropsford is refounded as to when the children were sent.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • DovahkiinHeart
    DovahkiinHeart
    ✭✭✭
    Just like how it is part of human nature to be somewhat resistance to change and what is unfamiliar, there will always be a population of players who aren't ready to embrace the whole concept of dragons in this time period for various reasons. But rather than play the irrational 'they can do whatever they want cuz they said so!' ego card that a lot of players are doing whenever someone so much as voices a different opinion other than joy/excitement about this chapter, I will just say to give Elsweyr a chance and see how it plays out first. We like things to be consistent and reliable and that includes information, I get it, but hopefully the story line will provide a satisfying answer to why things happen the way they did.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    Knootewoot wrote: »

To name a few:

- Dragon knights
    - Stamina spells

So it isn't a prequel or follow up to the TES series. It's rather a seperate alternate reality of the game.

You had me until you said Alternate Reality. Lol

That's never been confirmed, it has indeed been denied. Even if it was a Dragon Break, everything in ESO would still be canon.

Dang, i knew i should stop typing after the points i made.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragons exist in Tamriel, some are immortal and literally incapable of death. Like Durnehviir who even when defeated by the actual Dragonborn could not be absorbed and came right back moments later to strike a deal with the Dragonborn. If you lore criers would actually read the lore history you constantly profess you would realize there are MANY dragons in this era in different areas. Vvardenfell is supposed to have one in hiding, the Battlespire where Imperial Battlemages like Abnur Tharn trains has one at this time, The Soul Cairn has one, etc..

Clearly the dragons we saw in the trailer were locked up for a long time imprisoned, how is it lore breaking that someone set them free?

And Necromancers.... have always been in every ES game and you've always been able to play as one. In every ESO trailer there is one character who is in focus that represents the placeholder for us as the vestige. In the original it was the EP Warrior who is sent to Coldharbour, in Vvardenfell it was the Warden, in Summerset we were the elf, in Elseweyr we are the Breton hero who clearly did not necessarily choose to be a Necromancer as he was turned into one by the daedra.

ZgBlXdC.jpg
    lSShJqf.jpg
    2LyIjdl.png
    0ih0WXz.png
    ^ THIS is who we are in Chapter 3, and if you watch AND listen to the last ESO Twitch they say all of this. But I suspect a lot will just stick their head further in the sand.
    love is love
  • ezikeo
    ezikeo
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed that in battlegrounds, I’m not sure what the map its called, however there are a few dragons that fly over us. I’ll take a screen shot when I can.
    Edited by ezikeo on January 16, 2019 8:16PM
  • tclark_ESO
    tclark_ESO
    ✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    I feel like they should do the same with vampric abilities or someone wolfing out as well IMO

Agreed!
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mike said the dragons are all around us, just invisible and sneaky. If you can trust a bloke called MIke....
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    Literally necromancers all over the damn place in ESO. Plenty in Oblivion also. And in Skyrim you literally play as "the dragon born" with actual dragons to fight around every corner. Literally.

And WTH is a cliff racer from morrowind if not a literal mini dragon!?

I mean...

literally!
    lol
    ;)

PS4 NA
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Atlas of Dragons -- which is found at Sky Haven Temple in Skyrim and itself says that its list is "sadly incomplete," at least three dragons are known to survive (excluding Paarthurnax), and their last sightings were in the Second Era. In fact, Nahfahlaar was being protected by King Casimir II of Wayrest after the founding of the Mages Guild. I emphasize that the existence of dragons, even if not common knowledge, is within the realm of living memory for Vanus Galerion and other elves and wizards.

There Be Dragons states that "[t]he last known sighting of a dragon in Tamriel was in the time of Tiber Septim. He made a pact with the few remaining dragons, swearing to protect them if they would serve him. Despite his promise, dragons were still hunted and slain..." -- that is, according to this scholar, dragons were being hunted into the early Third Era.

This lore is from Skyrim. To say that having dragons in ESO is lore-breaking is complete and utter nonsense.
    Edited by PrinceShroob on January 16, 2019 8:33PM
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiber septim had a squad of dragons in his army in the late 2nd era. Third era didn't start until after he founded his empire.

What he said...
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing in the new chapter is lore breaking. Dragons do exist in the 2nd era, very, very few of them but they are there. And from what the trailer looks like, some fool released or woke up a dragon and now it's the players job to hunt this boss down and kill it, (or imprison it again.)
    As for necromancers, I look at them the same way I look at Thieves guild or Dark Brotherhood players. A nice skill set to have but don't any guards or towns people see you employing your chosen craft.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Atlas of Dragons -- which is found at Sky Haven Temple in Skyrim and itself says that its list is "sadly incomplete," at least three dragons are known to survive (excluding Paarthurnax), and their last sightings were in the Second Era. In fact, Nahfahlaar was being protected by King Casimir II of Wayrest after the founding of the Mages Guild. I emphasize that the existence of dragons, even if not common knowledge, is within the realm of living memory for Vanus Galerion and other elves and wizards.

There Be Dragons states that "[t]he last known sighting of a dragon in Tamriel was in the time of Tiber Septim. He made a pact with the few remaining dragons, swearing to protect them if they would serve him. Despite his promise, dragons were still hunted and slain..." -- that is, according to this scholar, dragons were being hunted into the early Third Era.

This lore is from Skyrim. To say that having dragons in ESO is lore-breaking is complete and utter nonsense.

With the amount of lore being pulled up that supports at least a minor presence of Dragons in Tameriel, I am surprised that at least 1 hasn't already been a World Boss or dungeon Boss before now.
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esbern was wrong. Change my mind.
    I ride in a zerg ball of one.