The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do we REALLY need necromancers as a whole new class?

Vilhjálmur
Vilhjálmur
✭✭✭
We already have two classes that are able to summon, wardens have animal companions and sorcerers have daedric companions, a necromancer is just a sorcerer who practices conjuration and soul manipulation, necromancy can simply be turned into a skill line (I mean we don't know yet if it's actually gonna be just a skill line), why not give some love to melee classes? A brawler would be cool, in my opinion

Plus necromancy is commonly hated across Tamriel and you spend most of the time fighting necromancers in main and alliance quests, it seems unfitting to have necromancy when you're fighting agaisn't it most of the time
  • THE_BIG_BOSS
    THE_BIG_BOSS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we need.
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we need.

• Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I cannot wait to make a stamancer Orc Death Knight.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on January 13, 2019 5:18AM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    -why not give some love to melee classes? A brawler would be cool, in my opinion

https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Necromancer+Skills

Why can't necromancers be melee? Or stamina?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we need.

I would say we do not need it. But need is not the reason classes are added. They are added due to want.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also why ppl are afraid about more minion ?
    It's doesn't matter, and if you've play other game like GW or the Old Lineage II, you know their is plenty of way to have a necro w/o the need of minion army.
    For a stam necro, the Reaper from GW2, 2hand necro, would be awesome.
    The "healer" necro was about fast full hp rez, lot of sand ward, and so on..

Be patient, and stop complaining.
    I mean, geez, so many thread and we still don't know how it's gonna work and play.
    Wait to see at least !

Edit : The only thing I feel sad is for the one who want to play it. Have to level up another char..
    That mean, discover all the map again, gather all the chard again, and so.. A bit boring imho.
    Edited by Aznarb on January 13, 2019 4:12AM
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Yes we need.

I would say we do not need it. But need is not the reason classes are added. They are added due to want.

I wouldnt even say want is why they are added. They are added simply because of money.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say no just because they still can’t fix the last class they added...
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar with necro skill line?
  • huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't even know if it's a class yet, when the psijic skillline was first datamined it was called a class aswell
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already have two classes that are able to summon, wardens have animal companions and sorcerers have daedric companions, a necromancer is just a sorcerer who practices conjuration and soul manipulation, necromancy can simply be turned into a skill line (I mean we don't know yet if it's actually gonna be just a skill line), why not give some love to melee classes? A brawler would be cool, in my opinion

Plus necromancy is commonly hated across Tamriel and you spend most of the time fighting necromancers in main and alliance quests, it seems unfitting to have necromancy when you're fighting agaisn't it most of the time

It's not about need, its about want. And want drives sales.

People weren't asking for a class, they were asking for necro, its that way round

Personally think they could sort out existing ones first. Heck 2018 saw a team formed to fix classes that have been around from launch, and stuffs still not fixed so....why logically would you add another is beyond me HOWEVER they need to make money.

ZOS making profit is good for us all so full circle back to your title. Do we need necro, probably, if we want the game to remain a commercial success so we can play it longer n
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We? I don't know about us, but I don't need a new clas. I need new skill lines (necromancy involved), 1h + rune weapon line and spellcfarting.
    Classes concept is outdated, eso can have its own style.
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't even know if it's a class yet, when the psijic skillline was first datamined it was called a class aswell

Is there an earlier datamine than this? Because this link has it pegged as a skill line from the beginning.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/396434/data-mining-eso-update-17-part-3-psijic-order-skill-line-artaeum-jewellery-crafting-and-more
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    people think they will control horde of zombies and skeletons like in diablo-style games with new necro class. All you get is reskin AoE spell, direct attack spell, some for healer, some for tank, some for sustain. Thats it.

Good thing about ZOS, they don't want pay2win model, so Necro probably will be on par with warden.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can we /sitchair while our skeleton army wreak havoc because that's what I want.

:*
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Vilhjálmur
    Vilhjálmur
    ✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    people think they will control horde of zombies and skeletons like in diablo-style games with new necro class. All you get is reskin AoE spell, direct attack spell, some for healer, some for tank, some for sustain. Thats it.

Good thing about ZOS, they don't want pay2win model, so Necro probably will be on par with warden.

This is how I see it will play out, we already have wardens so why have an edgy reskin of the same class? They could make something unique but nope, another summoning, magic based class, can't wait to have a bunch of annoying minions on me while some dude called ''Xxx_Necr0_DarkL0rd_xxX'' is throwing flying skulls at me from afar

We don't even know what abilities they're gonna have and if it's gonna be a skill line so i'm still hopeful they don't turn it into a class, it doesn't make sense lore wise either
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not until we have global achievements. Then we can debate a new class
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Nazzraeda
    Nazzraeda
    ✭✭
    Do we need it? No.
    Would it be a breath of fresh air? Definitely.
    Would I prefer necromancy to be a skill line so I can stick to my main? Sure.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is how I see it will play out, we already have wardens so why have an edgy reskin of the same class? They could make something unique but nope, another summoning, magic based class, can't wait to have a bunch of annoying minions on me while some dude called ''Xxx_Necr0_DarkL0rd_xxX'' is throwing flying skulls at me from afar

Followed directly by
    We don't even know what abilities they're gonna have and if it's gonna be a skill line

Oof.

Also OP,
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    -why not give some love to melee classes? A brawler would be cool, in my opinion

• Thalidar
    Thalidar
    ✭✭✭
    Sure we do. I like playing different toons and if I played the same toon all the time, I'd get seriously bored playing the game........

Damn shame about achievements though.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because every major Elder Scrolls title had Necromancy skills, and effectively let the player be a necromancer if they chose to be. Even thinking from a role-playing perspective, not everyone wants to play a 'goody two shoes' hero all the time.

Besides, I'd argue that Warden is not a true summoning class anyway. He's more like a 'beast tamer' with really crappy minions that are, from a mechanical view, just fancy animations with delayed effects (except the Bear of course).
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope, what a lot of other players also hope but won't actually post on the forum about, is that the Necromancer is a class, that Elsweyr is a full map like Summerset is and a expansion is like Summerset and Morrowind.
    That we get to summon skeletons like there roam around in that delve in Artaeum. (though they'll despawn after a bit to off set them against the other pet classes)
    That the pre-order will include lots of Khajiit themed goodies and that we wont need to wait to long before it goes live.

I'm sure there are people who disagree, but this is true for all opinions after all.
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Vilhjálmur
    Vilhjálmur
    ✭✭✭

Followed directly by
    We don't even know what abilities they're gonna have and if it's gonna be a skill line

Oof.

Also OP,

I am only talking in the scenario that it does turn out to be a class, we obviously don't know since they haven't confirmed anything

And even if it turns out to be melee i'd rather see them release an unique class than an edgy warden reskin we keep fighting in the main quest
  • Vilhjálmur
    Vilhjálmur
    ✭✭✭
    Thalidar wrote: »
    Sure we do. I like playing different toons and if I played the same toon all the time, I'd get seriously bored playing the game........

Damn shame about achievements though.

I'm not saying they shouldn't release a new class, I just feel like picking necromancers as a class would be a pretty boring and generic decision when they have tons of more options
  • Vilhjálmur
    Vilhjálmur
    ✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    Because every major Elder Scrolls title had Necromancy skills, and effectively let the player be a necromancer if they chose to be. Even thinking from a role-playing perspective, not everyone wants to play a 'goody two shoes' hero all the time.

Besides, I'd argue that Warden is not a true summoning class anyway. He's more like a 'beast tamer' with really crappy minions that are, from a mechanical view, just fancy animations with delayed effects (except the Bear of course).

Necromancy in earlier titles are just conjuration with the ability to reanimate corpses though, it was fun before because you could grab anyone and resurrect them as much as you'd like, I doubt it will be the same thing in an mmo where enemies have to despawn and respawn all the time. In RP most people make unique classes on their own without the need of existing classes so I don't think it's essential for RP either.

And true but it kind of boils into the same thing, cast an ability, get a minion, repeat, necromancers wouldn't be much different except with skeletons and undead instead of animals, sounds pretty bland when there are many other possibilities, sword singers, brawlers, monks, bards, etc...
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is having different classes to choose from not the spice of life. For each class has a particular play style as well as a different vision of roleplay logistically.

(Also. FYI, people have been asking for Necromancers since day one if I had to guess.)
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Daedric_NB_187
    Daedric_NB_187
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need it. I want to hopefully make a Death Knight type character. Don't like it? Don't play it. And no. Nothing in this game is a need besides fixing bugs and server stability.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it is WAYYY too late, but this could have been easily resolved by not having Classes the way they are. Schools of Magic should have been their own skill lines. But it is too late now, we have classes to fulfill those skill lines. Since that is the case, if we want necromancy, it has to come with a new Class.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Followed directly by

Oof.

Also OP,

And even if it turns out to be melee i'd rather see them release an unique class than an edgy warden reskin we keep fighting in the main quest

Something tells me that it will be entirely unique. Just a gut feeling, since necromancy (at least as I've observed) is about way more than just raising the undead. Control over death is a pretty impressive power people can be really creative with, hence why I sent you that link.

Healing from bodies,
    Touch ranged defile and spammable themed around a decay effect,
    Ultimate summoning a spider made of bones,
    Providing major evasion for your team as a shield of bones,
    Ultimate that prevents zero health for four seconds,
    AoE dot that sets bleed and rains blood,
    Targeted AoE root where hands reach up from the ground to hold people (in the game already btw),
    Unique status effect where an enemy takes half the damage you do,

These are all half baked off my head abilities that have nothing to do with raising the dead as zombies. The studio behind D:OS2 Did a great job not making the necromancer feel like just another Diablo clone running (with) a train of corpses.

Guess we might find out the 15th though.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »

Necromancy in earlier titles are just conjuration with the ability to reanimate corpses though, it was fun before because you could grab anyone and resurrect them as much as you'd like, I doubt it will be the same thing in an mmo where enemies have to despawn and respawn all the time. In RP most people make unique classes on their own without the need of existing classes so I don't think it's essential for RP either.

And true but it kind of boils into the same thing, cast an ability, get a minion, repeat, necromancers wouldn't be much different except with skeletons and undead instead of animals, sounds pretty bland when there are many other possibilities, sword singers, brawlers, monks, bards, etc...

Just to clarify, I DO NOT want Necromancer to be another re-skin of Warden. Warden is the my least favorite class to date, mostly because of the clunky skills with delayed effects and lazy pseudo-minions. I don't think Necro is essential for RP either, I'm just saying a good amount of players would appreciate that option. We almost got the Conjuration school with Sorcerer, but it's a far cry from necromancy skills.