The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

what type of damage is Permafrost Ultimate?

Cladius30
Cladius30
✭✭✭✭✭
Direct damage?
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Damage over Time. It scales with Thaumaturge and not with Master at Arms.
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks, so the icefurnace armor set would not allow the fire damage to occur based from this ability?
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    Damage over Time. It scales with Thaumaturge and not with Master at Arms.

Are you sure? It obviously seems like it would be Thaum, but doesn't it act like wall of elements where it's actually effected by Master at Arms.

Maybe they fixed it recently. Haven't played in awhile. Could also just be the tooltip?

Websites like Alcasts and the wiki both write Master at Arms, not Thaum.

https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/permafrost
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Permafrost

Best to just test the damage you see on a target dummy by playing around with your cp, tooltips have been known to be wrong.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on December 29, 2018 6:30PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not as easy as that sadly. There are some problems with this game that tooltips and what scales with what can be very deceiving. For example Jabs and/or Burning Light is considered as Damage Over Time ability but procs Ravager set even though they are not a direct melee hit. Best way to figure out is actually testing it. So I hopped on PTS to test it. Here are the results:

Permafrost > No proc
    Blockade of Frost > No proc
    Frost Staff Light Attack > Proc

The thing is, Permafrost scales with Thaumaturge and Blockade of Frost scales with Master at Arms but neither proc it. It comes down to what I said above, the game works in strange ways. You just have to test it yourself. Hope this was helpful. Remember, if you need to test something similar, just go to PTS.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cladius30 wrote: »
    thanks, so the icefurnace armor set would not allow the fire damage to occur based from this ability?

no. just direct. i wouldn't recommend using Ice Furnace. it has weapon damage instead of spell damage. it is hard to proc(direct only) meaning its limited to like force shock and frost reach as their easiest ways to proc it and the damage it does is pretty small.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on December 30, 2018 5:48AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . Blockade of Frost scales with Master at Arms

You got a source for that? Because the last time I tested wall, the skill was definitely AOE damage over time, as it procced chilled at 1% of the time.
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I checked on a dummy last patch master at arms buffed permafrost, I made a post asking about it as well
    Edited by AMeanOne on December 30, 2018 7:49PM
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    . Blockade of Frost scales with Master at Arms

You got a source for that? Because the last time I tested wall, the skill was definitely AOE damage over time, as it procced chilled at 1% of the time.

Yeah, my bad. It scales with Thaumaturge, as it should.
  • Nolic1
    Nolic1
    ✭✭✭
    The set Ice furnace procs on direct damage and seems to only proc of the ice staff light and heavy attacks i have tested the set alot for solo build play and some group play.
    Sherman from Sherman's Gaming

Youtube content creator that is dedicated to the Casual and Roleplay community for News, Lets Talks, Guides, Help and character builds.

Youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Liofa @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO and OP

From my testing (just now on live)- I modified my CP and took 4% from Master-At-Arms (Direct Damage) and put the points toward Thaumaturge (which gave it an extra 10% damage to DOTs).

My tooltip damage actually decreased for Gripping Shards, Permafrost, and Blockade. So, it appears that those abilities are considered Direct Damage and scale off of Master-At-Arms.

From what I'm gathering- if the ability reads as "...does ### damage every # second for ## seconds"- then it will scale off of Master-At-Arms.

If the ability reads "...does ### damage over ## seconds"- then it will scale off Thaumaturge.

But, as you all know, it's really hit or miss on these Tooltip descriptions. :|

So, it would appear that if you want higher damage in Gripping Shards, Shalks, Permafrost, and Blockade- invest in Master-At-Arms. Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks!
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s painful damage.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

From my testing (just now on live)- I modified my CP and took 4% from Master-At-Arms (Direct Damage) and put the points toward Thaumaturge (which gave it an extra 10% damage to DOTs).

My tooltip damage actually decreased for Gripping Shards, Permafrost, and Blockade. So, it appears that those abilities are considered Direct Damage and scale off of Master-At-Arms.

From what I'm gathering- if the ability reads as "...does ### damage every # second for ## seconds"- then it will scale off of Master-At-Arms.

If the ability reads "...does ### damage over ## seconds"- then it will scale off Thaumaturge.

So, it would appear that if you want higher damage in Gripping Shards, Shalks, Permafrost, and Blockade- invest in Master-At-Arms. Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks!

Unfortuneatly your testing should of included testing the damage numbers you see on a test dummy instead. Tooltips as you know should always be taken with a grain of salt and as spoken about in the past in other threads, the naming convention of the tooltips are all over the place and they don't confirm or deny how a skills damage is calculated.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Unfortuneatly your testing should of included testing the damage numbers you see on a test dummy instead. Tooltips as you know should always be taken with a grain of salt and as spoken about in the past in other threads, the naming convention of the tooltips are all over the place and they don't confirm or deny how a skills damage is calculated.

@Marshall1289 @Liofa @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO and @ OP

Well, here we have the tests:

These tests were conducted completely naked (My Argonian... not me. Maybe.) so that there were no set procs and with only an Ice Staff equipped.

With CP allotted toward 10% in Thaumaturge:

Wall of Elements constantly ticked for 1138 damage
    Gripping Shards constantly ticked for 380 damage
    Permafrost constantly ticked for 2457 damage

With the 10% removed from Thaumaturge and added to Master-At-Arms:

Wall of Elements constantly ticked for 1047 damage (decreased)
    Gripping Shards constantly ticked for 354 damage (decreased)
    Permafrost constantly ticked for 2522 damage (increased)

So there we have it. Thaumaturge will increase your Wall of Elements and Gripping Shards. Master-At-Arms will increase your Permafrost. At the end of the day- none of this [snip] makes any [snip]-ing sense.

So, OP, if you want to boost your Permafrost, Shalks, etc- invest into Master-At-Arms.
    If you want to boost your Wall of Elements and Gripping Shards- invest into Thaumaturge.
    And if you want correct tooltips or abilities that follow predefined rules- invest into a different game.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren