Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I was thanked for my help in a 2v4

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
It was getting late at night in Shor. The Pact only had Dragonclaw and I needed to get my reward of the worthy for some transmute crystals, so I went there believing the Blues would throw themselves at us to take our last keep. Lo and behold as I was retaking a resource by myself I saw the Blues ride up to the edge of my perimeter, but then they were distracted by two other reds who charged em. After flipping the flag I ran off to assist if I could and saw the two on the losing side of the fight with the four blues. So I did what I could, cloaked out, Surprise Attacked and Ultied one and got stuck in. It was pretty close, I'm VERY squishy, a PvE glass cannon, but once the first Blue went down it evened out and we turned the fight.

Once the last Blue was downed we stood around the bodies for a second, the darndest thing happened.

I was thanked, for my help.

In Cyrodiil.

That was the nicest thing anyone has said to me in PvP. :'(

Just so you guys know, I really appreciate the appreciation. Cyrodiil is always too full of toxic back and forth epeen matches and insults in Zone chat and whenever you ride up on a friendly seemingly caught alone or outnumbered and you try to help they just stop fighting and watch you get curb stomped cause you interrupted a "Duel". So many times I've been teabagged, many from supposed Allies or just straight up ignored. I hold those of you in high regard when you treat the game as it's meant to be, a COOPERATIVE Team Based Multiplayer.
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree that's cool, but there is a difference between joining in a 2v4 (on the side of the 2) and joining in a 1v1.. in one you help balance the odds, and in the other you throw the odds way outa wack
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woah

Amazing
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I hold those of you in high regard when you treat the game as it's meant to be, a COOPERATIVE Team Based Multiplayer.

Yeah, but that is exactly what the 1v1'ers do when you interrupt, they cooperate to dispatch the unbalancing factor and then get back to their fair fight.

Teamplay is all fine and dandy, but not to the detriment of having fun in a reasonably fair fight.
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    I hold those of you in high regard when you treat the game as it's meant to be, a COOPERATIVE Team Based Multiplayer.

Yeah, but that is exactly what the 1v1'ers do when you interrupt, they cooperate to dispatch the unbalancing factor and then get back to their fair fight.

Teamplay is all fine and dandy, but not to the detriment of having fun in a reasonably fair fight.

If people want to duel that badly they can find each other outside Cyrodiil, making use of that nifty system ZOS gave them. Cyrodiil isnt a Dueling arena, its a Warzone. If i see a friendly being engaged im going to assist. If the friendly then proceeds to step aside and let the enemy have their way with me, thats a problem with them, not me.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If people want to duel that badly they can find each other outside Cyrodiil, making use of that nifty system ZOS gave them. Cyrodiil isnt a Dueling arena, its a Warzone. If i see a friendly being engaged im going to assist. If the friendly then proceeds to step aside and let the enemy have their way with me, thats a problem with them, not me.

Well, you are the one complaining about it, not them, so I think the problem is with you? *shrug*

Just offering an explanation why people react the way your OP detailed. For most regular PvP'ers, its not about alliance loyalty or a "warzone" mindset, it's about having fun. Constantly being outnumbered isn't fun, which is why duelers will stand down to let the interrupter die and also why you got thanked for helping the undermanned side this time.

Maybe I'm just good at ignoring chat, but if PvP is as toxic and epeen'y as you describe, well... there is more than one common denominator in this equation.
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, you are the one complaining about it, not them, so I think the problem is with you? *shrug*

Just offering an explanation why people react the way your OP detailed. For most regular PvP'ers, its not about alliance loyalty or a "warzone" mindset, it's about having fun. Constantly being outnumbered isn't fun, which is why duelers will stand down to let the interrupter die and also why you got thanked for helping the undermanned side this time.

Maybe I'm just good at ignoring chat, but if PvP is as toxic and epeen'y as you describe, well... there is more than one common denominator in this equation.

You seem passive aggressive.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You seem passive aggressive.

Just being devils advocate. People react the way you've described for a reason, it helps to understand even if you don't agree.

Complaining about a whole group of people on a public forum is exactly the type of toxicity you reprimanded PvP'ers for displaying.
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's a huge difference between interrupting a duel or helping an weaker player that's being attacked or ganked. It's only a 1v1, if both players agrees on it.

Equal numbers doesn't necessarily mean a fight is balanced. If I see a low CP newbie, heal&support build, PvE'er or similar being attacked 1v1 and most definitely not interested in "dueling", I'm not gonna stand there and watch him die. I will help him survive so he can grab that skyshard, reach his group&safety or whatever. They usually say "thanks" afterwards.

It's kinda obvious if people are trying to have a fair fun 1v1 or if someone is fighting for their life trying to get away imo. Just have to watch for a second and use your brain.

My experience though is that 9/10 players aren't that considerate, they will butt in regardless sadly lol.
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    On this topic, I had someone interrupt one of my fights recently, I let him die because it was scummy to start snipe spamming into an obvious 1v1 where other people were watching. This person proceeded to complain in zone chat and got flamed hard, because very few people have respect for people attacking 1v1s.

TL:DR people respect and thank those who make fights fair and fun, but it's the opposite for those who only fight when they outnumber their enemy.

Edit: typos
    Edited by Flame_of_Hades on December 24, 2018 2:28PM
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all of you above: How do I know when to step in and when to leave the "duel" alone?
    I find it impossible to know if it's a "fair" duel or not. I've tried whispering and /say, but obviously people don't reply during combat (not in chat atleast).
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It should've never been catered too solo players, ever. But it was, people got used to it. But since then till now solo pvp has been nerfed time after time but the solo players remained. But they are getting more and more toxic as time passes, untill they all quit...

Nice to hear a positive cyro story for once xD
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don’t get involved in their fight they typically will just keep fighting each other and not worry about you. But attacking one of them will generally make them focus you.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoragaal wrote: »
    To all of you above: How do I know when to step in and when to leave the "duel" alone?
    I find it impossible to know if it's a "fair" duel or not. I've tried whispering and /say, but obviously people don't reply during combat (not in chat atleast).

Generally speaking:

if you see a 1v1 just leave it alone.

If you see a 3v1 and you’re on the side of the 1 I’d say it’s fair to jump in.

If you see a 4v1 and you’re on the side of the 4 don’t jump in.

That is a really problem these days. Everyone is so sweaty for a kill they will chase and zerg down whomever for it.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kikke wrote: »
    It should've never been catered too solo players, ever. But it was, people got used to it. But since then till now solo pvp has been nerfed time after time but the solo players remained. But they are getting more and more toxic as time passes, untill they all quit...

Nice to hear a positive cyro story for once xD

Nobody ever said it should be catered to solo players. It’s about respect imo to let people have the 1v1. Why do you feel the need to jump in the middle of a 1v1 that isn’t effecting the campaign or scoring?
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, even if it's not a "fair" 1v1, don't jump in. Wait until one person dies, and if the loser is on your team, revive them.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, if there are people on mounts and /sitchair watching... it's a duel.
    If it's well off to the side or away from the beaten track, it's a 1v1.

If it's outside the front door of a keep, it might be a 1v1 but they picked a bad spot and probably can't expect people to know.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1v1s can happen spontaneously and if I see a faction-mate involved in one I don’t jump in unless I’m in comms with them and they specifically ask for help or I know they’re in a group build or something. I agree though it’s surprising how many people do not respect the 1v1.

Last update I was in a 1v1 and someone from my faction jumped in. I backed off and my opponent dispatched the interloper, and after we concluded the 1v1 and we exchanged pleasantries he thanked me for that courtesy. It should be common courtesy especially on lower pop campaigns but I agree it depends on location and the experience of people coming across it.

Joining a 1 against 4 is good, even if you lose. I see way too many AD hiding in stealth in similar situations.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »

Generally speaking:

That is a really problem these days. Everyone is so sweaty for a kill they will chase and zerg down whomever for it.

How do I even know if it's a duel (point of the quotation marks)?
    As I travel from one keep to another, I often stumble upon people in 1vs1. Sometimes it's someone trying to gank the other player, sometimes it could be 2 people taking the opportunity for a duel. How do I distinguish the two scenarios a part?
    If outside of a keep, or at a resource, how do I know said player won't be putting up a camp for his buddies, if he wins?
    How do I even know that's he's only looking for duels?
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

If it's outside the front door of a keep, it might be a 1v1 but they picked a bad spot and probably can't expect people to know.

Well.. the /sitchair doesn't ever happen inside Cyrodiil on PC/EU/Vivec.
    It's mostly the scenario between two keeps, as if someone's trying to gank the other player; halt their opponents progression to said keep.
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

Well.. the /sitchair doesn't ever happen inside Cyrodiil on PC/EU/Vivec.
    It's mostly the scenario between two keeps, as if someone's trying to gank the other player; halt their opponents progression to said keep.

Well, you start to rez the dead person, and if the winner attacks you, you kill them.
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking:

I see where you’re coming from on this, but this only applies for me if it’s someone I’m friends with getting Zerged. I’ve been the victim of getting 4 v 1ed by too many people just looking for good fights to stay my hand from a zergdown just on principle.

“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has nothing to do with the OP, but I think some of the silliest players are the guys who say they're looking for outnumbered fights and then whine because they're too outnumbered or their opponents used an ability they don't like or because of who showed up to fight them, etc...

There's irony in this virtue signalling because any veteran of online competition knows that a competitive, organized group *should* crush disorganized randoms, so it's usually not unfair to them at all when they're outnumbered in these conditions. The organized group has the advantage most of the time.

So who is really exhibiting virtue? The organized, coordinated group looking to pug stomp, or the randoms who show up knowing they're at a disadvantage?

Personally, I consider my entire faction my team. If any teammate needs help and I think I can make a difference, I probably will, regardless of numbers. If I know it's a duel, I'll let it go, but it can be difficult to discern sometimes.

If you're fighting me 1v1 open world and a teammate tries to help, I'm not just going to let them die when their intent was likely to be helpful.

I have no sympathy for people who have duels interrupted in Cyrodiil. First, Cyrodiil is the worst place to duel and secondly if it was interrupted it was probably in a high traffic location -- the map is almost entirely empty; it doesn't take long to get away from everyone else if you try to.

If you and your friends want to play ESO by some highlander-esque code, wonderful, but don't expect everyone else to or be salty when they don't play by your rules.
    Edited by zyk on December 25, 2018 5:31AM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ArchMikem This is about perspective. You cannot say "PvP in Cyrodiil is meant to be played as X". That is your perspective. Other people like to find random outnumbered and 1v1 fights for the challenge of it. Just imagine running into someone that gives you a really good fight. Both have good builds and it is a really good fight. This creates a certain respect between the 2 players. In their eyes it would be disrespectful and cheap to have the awesome fight be spoiled by a random person. These players often don't gice a rats ass about the campaign or "the war". They are out there for a challenge. That is the way they like to play the game. You are judging this as "wrong" to do in Cyrodiil, which is (no offense) just a self-centered way of looking at it. They have just as much freedom to do their own thing in Cyrodiil as you.
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still thinking you should not thank another alliance member for help.

It's what they are supposed to do
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the OP, but I think some of the silliest players are the guys who say they're looking for outnumbered fights and then whine because they're too outnumbered or their opponents used an ability they don't like or because of who showed up to fight them, etc...

There's irony in this virtue signalling because any veteran of online competition knows that a competitive, organized group *should* crush disorganized randoms, so it's usually not unfair to them at all when they're outnumbered in these conditions. The organized group has the advantage most of the time.

So who is really exhibiting virtue? The organized, coordinated group looking to pug stomp, or the randoms who show up knowing they're at a disadvantage?

Personally, I consider my entire faction my team. If any teammate needs help and I think I can make a difference, I probably will, regardless of numbers. If I know it's a duel, I'll let it go, but it can be difficult to discern sometimes.

If you're fighting me 1v1 open world and a teammate tries to help, I'm not just going to let them die when their intent was likely to be helpful.

I have no sympathy for people who have duels interrupted in Cyrodiil. First, Cyrodiil is the worst place to duel and secondly if it was interrupted it was probably in a high traffic location -- the map is almost entirely empty; it doesn't take long to get away from everyone else if you try to.

If you and your friends want to play ESO by some highlander-esque code, wonderful, but don't expect everyone else to or be salty when they don't play by your rules.

I think the 3 things most complained about in the small scale community right now would be

1) Earthgore
    2) Draining shot spam
    3) Timestop spam

All of them are self explanatory. Most small scale guilds know there is a point when it just comes down to numbers they won’t win. But when you lose a fight because those things listed above then it becomes very frustrating.

TBh you sound like a zergling.
    Edited by Haashhtaag on December 25, 2018 3:23PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking:

How do I even know if it's a duel (point of the quotation marks)?
    As I travel from one keep to another, I often stumble upon people in 1vs1. Sometimes it's someone trying to gank the other player, sometimes it could be 2 people taking the opportunity for a duel. How do I distinguish the two scenarios a part?
    If outside of a keep, or at a resource, how do I know said player won't be putting up a camp for his buddies, if he wins?
    How do I even know that's he's only looking for duels?

If you see a 1v1 just let it happen, it’s not gonna have any effect on anything and it’s good practice for everybody, a nice change from constantly getting piled on and out numbered.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some nice people in cyrodill :)