Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Very slow downloading speed.

Elwendryll
Elwendryll
✭✭✭✭✭
vtuesqp9bxoe.png

Hello. I've had network issues with ESO recently (in the last few weeks). High ping, crashes, etc. I usually play on two different locations, in my engineering school campus, which has a top tier network (and no issues with ESO), or at home. I'm currently at home, until early january, and usually, I have around 80 ping in game, and a download speed of about 800 kB/s to 1,2 MB/s. Today I noticed that the latest patch was taking an unusually long time. By the time I typed this post the download succesfully ended, but I need some advice.

I'm using my phone as a hotspot right now, because the quality is comparable to the wifi, but I have the network for myself. I tried with a cabled connection, but it did result in a crash while I was hitting a target skeleton, in my home In Game... (During the undaunted event, I know it was not the best time to try and play).

I'm looking for ways to increase my stability, and explanations on why I could find myself in the above situation (see picture...).

What can I do to improve my gaming experience, beside:
  1. Removing the addon folder and uninstalling Minion.
  2. Connecting my computer directly to the router with an ethernet cable.
?

I saw in the FAQ that opening some ports on the router could help the performances. I tried. I opened the specified ranges, while taking care of not using already attribued internal ports, and set up the firewall to allow the new ports I opened, and it did result in a total inability to log in, so I just disabled the new parameters (Don't tell my network teachers...) . Should I contact my ISP for information about the correct procedure?

I know my connection is at fault, but it's been better before, I could run the game without issues. I'd like to complete some trials, and my moral took a hit because of the disconnects and high ping, I gave up on some days for the undaunted event. Today in optimal situation, I never drop under 130 ms of ping. And I often have ping spikes, delays for ability to fire, etc...

Anyway, can I expect some improvements in the months to come?
I'm on PC EU, in France.
PC - EU - France - AD
Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing you need to do is open the ports the game wants. Search Ports in the support section for those. Problem is, on other peoples networks, you cant do that.

Also, make sure, if your running Windows Firewall is allowing the Game and Launcher. Make sure both. Make sure Anti Virus is allowing the game and launcher too.

Wifi Hotspots are going to have dramatically varying bandwidth, nothing you can do about that but use something else.

I cant use the target dummies in my home, it is a slide show. It's probably the 8 Jester Trees I have in there. Anyway, try a different house or remove any animated items you have in your home. Not saying it is just the animated things, but I will say that they probably are not helping.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ChicoRob
    ChicoRob
    Soul Shriven
    Downloading ESO through the launcer...max speed is like 800kb/s, average is maybe 300k/sec. Downloading files through the steam client, max speed is about 9mb/sec, average is about 6mb/sec. While I'm sure some would say it's all on my side, its my view that this is a commercial product being sold for money, so the company selling the game should have this stuff figured out before they deliver the product. Steam can do it, but Zenimax cannot. I have messed with the ports in the past but to no avail. Problem is I have very little time to devote to gaming anymore, so I would rather play another game than mess with my internet connect to make a faulty program function right. Anyway, there is a very good chance that I will simply give up on the game now after leaving it downloading overnight and waking up to 14% progress...I've already not played it in months, and there's no chance it will be playable by the end of the weekend.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is a few months old we are closing the discussion. You can start a new thread if no recent ones on this topic are open. For issues with slow download speeds, we recommend the troubleshooting in the help article linked below.

Is there anything I can do about slow download speeds for The Elder Scrolls Online?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.