The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I hear there is talk of "changing" passives?

Azyle1
Azyle1
✭✭✭✭✭
So.. we can hope that redgaurd is nerfed then? Such a boring race.

I also assume this means Dark Elf and Argonians will be nerfed. Don't try to say they will just buff other things.. cause you know that ain't happening.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So were you hoping for a discussion or is this where you just tell us your opinion and everyone else is wrong?
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So were you hoping for a discussion or is this where you just tell us your opinion and everyone else is wrong?

Are you saying you think I am wrong and that they AREN'T going to nerf those three?

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can see public notice about incoming changes. Though instead of believing in nerfs consider thinking in terms of balance when thinking about future patches.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From the dev comment they're looking at ways to ensure that all the racial passives work to allow any race to effectively fill any class/roll. So in this instance, I don't think it will be as simple as nerf or buff.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if they nerf those it's going to cause a lot of problems. My hope is they actually BUFF the other races that need buffed.

Can you imagine if the education system was ran like mmos? Instead of sending people to school get smarter they'd only send the smarter ones to get dumber to make the idiots feel better.
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Yes you can see public notice about incoming changes. Though instead of believing in nerfs consider thinking in terms of balance when thinking about future patches.

But.. that doesn't happen.

Things just get nerfed.

What I foresee happening for stam is.. redgaurd gets nerfed and Khajiit becomes the new Meta. What has REALLY changed with that? I mean, if I am wrong, great. But there are plenty of people on these forums that don't believe other things will be "balanced".
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I am wrong and there is truly "balance" then I will be the first to admit I was wrong and will also be very happy for ZOS.
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's wrong with Dark Elf passives?
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The goal is to balance the races so that there isn't quite such a staggering difference between them for certain class/role combinations. Hopefully they don't just nerf everything into oblivion so the passives are completely pointless.

Azyle is right about one thing though. There will always be a meta race. No avoiding that without removing passives altogether because people will still consider even a less than 1% performance difference apocalyptic in proportion.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh....they can nerf it to the ground or remove them all together. It's their game, *shrugs*
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS' past track record of "balancing" doesn't leave me optimistic.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems most likely it will present itself as racial morphs that make races more applicable to a wider ranges of applications. Will this mean unique passives like orc speed or argonian potion passive will disappear? I hope not but maybe.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just leave the game alone. People who want to play Nord; for example, I mean are REALLY itching to play a Nord are really good players just trying to prove they can play ANYTHING or really bad, casual players who won’t notice the difference because they can’t play ANYTHING well.

Look Eso would be a far better game if ZOS focused on fixing the actual broken things in the game like the stuck in combat bug and performance in general and stop “fiddling” with the game because someone at ZOS has a “vision” about how the game should be.

Shouldn’t great performance and the elimination of game breaking bugs be some part of ZOS’s “vision” of ESO?
    Edited by JumpmanLane on December 9, 2018 5:27AM
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This pretty much confirms racials will be nerfed instead of the weaker ones being buffed. RIP Argonians, Redguards, possibly High Elves, and Orcs(pvp).
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Druid40
    Druid40
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    It seems most likely it will present itself as racial morphs that make races more applicable to a wider ranges of applications...

Racial morphs. I really like that idea.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just leave the game alone. People who want to play Nord; for example, I mean are REALLY itching to play a Nord are really good players just trying to prove they can play ANYTHING or really bad, casual players who won’t notice the difference because they can’t play ANYTHING well.

Look Eso would be a far better game if ZOS focused on fixing the actual broken things in the game like the stuck in combat bug and performance in general and stop “fiddling” with the game because someone at ZOS has a “vision” about how the game should be.

Shouldn’t great performance and the elimination of game breaking bugs be some part of ZOS’s “vision” of ESO?

I tend to agree. The problem is that with the way things like damage is calculated, the effect of those stat bonuses can start to get a little out of hand.

It's not the passives' fault. In the beginning it was fine. We had soft caps, wasn't much power creep yet, really the racials were pretty well balanced. But then soft caps went away and we're stacking stats together for ever higher damage.

I don't see the passives really needing changing so much as updating. The current state of ESO is a lot different from back at launch. We want them there to really give each race some diversity from the others. But they also need to not create enough of a performance difference that you're talking Lamborghini v.s. Pontiac. (Not a car guy, but I hope it gets the point across. :) )
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing we can be sure of is that Zos with break out the sledgehammer to fine-tune these.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »

This pretty much confirms racials will be nerfed instead of the weaker ones being buffed. RIP Argonians, Redguards, possibly High Elves, and Orcs(pvp).

This has been said about every class, every race, every skill and every passive since this game was in Beta. And, here we are 5 plus years later, playing the same classes, races and skills as we were before.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    The goal is to balance the races so that there isn't quite such a staggering difference between them for certain class/role combinations.

why have different races if they are all the same? its really stupid
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    The goal is to balance the races so that there isn't quite such a staggering difference between them for certain class/role combinations.

I didn't say the goal was to make the races identical. I said balanced.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial ultimates?

As long as things remain playable; i.e. I made the decision to go with dunmer because it's decent at being Stam or mag, I would hate to have dunmer or Argonian start leaning towards one or the other more
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When the air everywhere is getting the distinct stench of lizards swamps, you know that there is some issue with the racial passives.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one hopes his claws will still be good for 5% more coin from pockets.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I bet there’s no free race change once they mess up racial passives lol
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just want my orc to have its passive with 4% melee attacks bonus damage converted into 4% flat bonus overall damage.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think there needs to be 2 sets of passives to choose between for each race
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet there’s no free race change once they mess up racial passives lol

I'm still running all khajiits
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguards are objectively more interesting than the generic medieval fantasy bretons
  • Slack
    Slack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerfing class passives is such a stupid suggestion.
    As if they would make or break you...
    But I suppose for some people it's always most fun to take something away from others.
    Even more fun, than getting something yourself
    PC EU
    Betty Breeze - Magwarden
    Hunts S'hitblades - Stamplar
    Aschavi - Magplar
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is quite ridiculous....all the time zos devs spend on 'balance' which with their limited understanding of the game results in massive overhand chopping and changing when they have had no clear vision for the game.

This confirmed recently that they are taking their time to 'formalize' a clear vision.

As painful as these 'balancing' episodes are why cant they spend all these resources to just improve game performance and the multitude of bugs that make the game way more unbalanced and enjoyable.