The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

BG MagSorc Build - Surging Mayhem

NuarBlack
NuarBlack
✭✭✭✭
I will preface this build with that I don't think this is the best build out there and will definitely not be for everyone. If you like to sit back and spam force shock for crystal frag and Caluurion procs this build may not be for you. But if you are looking for something different in the post murkmire BG scene read on.

The gear setup is:
5 × Overwhelming Surge(Jewelry and 2 small armor pieces)
5 × Torug's Pact (weapons, 1 light piece, legs and chest heavy)
2 × Iceheart (light)
Traits are all impenetrable

Front bar is 2 × Infused Torug's Swords with Charged Weapon & Oblivion enchants.

Back bar is infused Torug's Ice staff with Hardening Enchantment.

Skill bar setup:

Front = Streak, Boundless Storm, Haunting Curse, Mages' Wrath, Crystal Fragments with Energy Overload Ult

Back = Dark Conversion, Power Surge, Blockade of Frost, Proximity Detonation, Daedric Minefield with Eye of Frost Ult

Play Style:

This is where it will get different for most magsorcs. The goal of this build is to cause absolute mayhem while trying to line up Proxy Det, Curse, Frags, Mines and Enchant procs to get Kills. While utilizing Blockade to do your shield stacking for you by proccing your hardening enchant.

The trick to this build is being aggressive and unpredictable as to cause as much chaos and mayhem as possible by almost always taking the initiative. You will want to cast streak essentially everytime the cost debuff wears off. You will cast Proxy Det and curse then streak right into/through the enemy team/group. Drop mines and Blockade among them and streak again if the debuff is gone or re-up proxy if it has gone off. Then look for potential kill opportunities by beating on them with your sword enchants, curses, and frag procs. Casting streak, boundless, and mages wrath to proc frags and your Overwhelming surge set. For particularly stubborn targets or when a healer is present pop overload. The attacks proc your enchants as well for some serious pressure and burst since you can weave with curses, frags, streaks, etc. Plus as some will notice I don't have a sustain set and the magicka restore is handy.

Bar setup isn't hard and fast either. Basically whatever makes you comfortable but best accomodates crystal frag procs and obviously blockade of frost has to be on the ice staff bar and overload on the DW bar. You may wish to consider Elemental Weapon from the psijic line on the DW bar as this was my initial inspiration for the build but found heavy attacks procces both enchants at once for more burst plus stamina I could exchange for health and magicka via Dark Conversion.

Now I've only tried this in BGs as I despise cyro but it could potentially work in the right small group setting there but I haven't tested it. BG results average 10-15 kills 500k-700k damage but the ceiling can go much higher like when my form is on and your team takes advantage of your mayhem like I did here.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Y5jvvN1
Edited by NuarBlack on December 3, 2018 8:21PM
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Out of the box thinking. I have been dabbling a couple of times with Melee Magicka Sorc, but never really got that was not just a poor man's stamsorc. With the changes to Overload i am considering giving it a go again, as that opens up alot of new avenues.

Never considered Hardened Enchant for a Torugs Build. What size is the applied shield?

But i do not understand Ice Heart. Can't think of any scenario where that will outperfom any other set choice? Both offensive and defensive.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been considering a similar building using Overwhelming. But instead of Torugs, using Mad Tinkerer. And maybe Storm Fist for the Monster set. Running the Pariah/Armor Master "meta" is fairly underwhelming so far, even if it is a survivable gear setup.
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    I like it. Out of the box thinking. I have been dabbling a couple of times with Melee Magicka Sorc, but never really got that was not just a poor man's stamsorc. With the changes to Overload i am considering giving it a go again, as that opens up alot of new avenues.

Never considered Hardened Enchant for a Torugs Build. What size is the applied shield?

But i do not understand Ice Heart. Can't think of any scenario where that will outperfom any other set choice? Both offensive and defensive.

Ice heart is probably more of flavor choice to be honest. It adds to the general cacophony of stuff going on though which can help and it offers a mix of offense and defense which I felt like the build needed but something else could definitely perform better. Blood spawn would definitely be a solid alternative.

Hardened enchant isn't very big in BGs, maybe 2k to 3k. But that isn't what makes it desirable. It is that with blockade down on the fighting area it turns into a sort of 2-3k hot procing/refeshing every few seconds.
    Edited by NuarBlack on December 3, 2018 9:56PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I adore the idea of this build!

Big fan of how you wrote the thread too.

I haven't tried ice heart in BGs (on my PvE character) how's that working for you?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I've been considering a similar building using Overwhelming. But instead of Torugs, using Mad Tinkerer. And maybe Storm Fist for the Monster set. Running the Pariah/Armor Master "meta" is fairly underwhelming so far, even if it is a survivable gear setup.

I love the flavor and animation of Mad Tinkerer I just don't trust it to hit reliably. But maybe run sword and board front and a charged ice staff back for more control may get it to land more reliably.
    Edited by NuarBlack on December 3, 2018 11:36PM