The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ranged pve dps Options...what do we have?

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, Given the few responses I have gotten on other posts in regards to magdens, Im gonna just throw this out there and see if it sticks and if so, who on!
After finding that playing a melee (stam?) class just isn't working for me, for various reasons I wont bore you all with, what do people reckon is the....man I hate this word....but, "best" ranged dps class going at the moment? Leaving Sorc's out as I just cant get into to playing them (have one maxed...meh) it leaves Templars and Nightblades or the ever hard hitting Yogi bow/bow build. I recall seeing a lot of tears on here in regards to NB's so did they get , dare I say it, another crappy word, "nerfed" and if so was it magika or stam? I emjoyed NB such much to a point that I was keen to tank on him so maybe turn it into a magblade and don't look back?
And yes, I KNOW stam classes are uber and kick ass and all the above....its just not an option sadly. I can play my stamDK in trials with pretty decent success so there is that but for a toon that I can play everything else and not be on my face....I guess I am asking, magplar or magblade? Templars got some love did they not so yea.....maybe that's the best option. I shall venture out and see what "sticks" allt he while still giving my magden a fair go as well. You never know, just might be what I am looking for!
Cheers!!!!
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a perfect scenario it goes
    1. MagPlar
    2. MagBlade
    3. MagDK
    4. MagSorc
    5. MagDen

In a non-perfect scenario just swap MagPlar and MagBlade around.

Magblade's have the hardest rotation tho, MagSorc, MagDen and MagPlar being the easiest.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    1. MagPlar
    2. MagBlade
    3. MagDK
    4. MagSorc
    5. MagDen

Magblade's have the hardest rotation tho, MagSorc, MagDen and MagPlar being the easiest.

how does this apply to strictly ranged dps?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really want a "strictly ranged" and "the best" - go magblade or go home.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

cheers!! Just rolled one
    ...event and all...lol
    any good builds around? (non alcast) ;)
    Edited by Joxer61 on December 16, 2018 3:11PM
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are using soul harvest, you arent strictly ranged
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. MagPlar
    2. MagBlade
    3. MagDK
    4. MagSorc
    5. MagDen

Yes, but magDKs should be last as they are the worst ranged magicka class in the game. Bow/Bow with any class may be better. Not sure why they are even in a list in the context of this thread.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. MagPlar
    2. MagBlade
    3. MagDK
    4. MagSorc
    5. MagDen

This is correct but I'd say even in an imperfect situations magplars have an advantage due to group utility. MagPlars are extremely powerful this patch. A magblade provides nothing but single target dps. A magplar has; the same single target dps, better aoe dps, can use Ritual of Retribution without losing dps, and an aura to help group sustain (in limited situations). Magplars are like magblades plus you get other benefits.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    Ok, Given the few responses I have gotten on other posts in regards to magdens, Im gonna just throw this out there and see if it sticks and if so, who on!
    After finding that playing a melee (stam?) class just isn't working for me, for various reasons I wont bore you all with, what do people reckon is the....man I hate this word....but, "best" ranged dps class going at the moment? Leaving Sorc's out as I just cant get into to playing them (have one maxed...meh) it leaves Templars and Nightblades or the ever hard hitting Yogi bow/bow build. I recall seeing a lot of tears on here in regards to NB's so did they get , dare I say it, another crappy word, "nerfed" and if so was it magika or stam? I emjoyed NB such much to a point that I was keen to tank on him so maybe turn it into a magblade and don't look back?
    And yes, I KNOW stam classes are uber and kick ass and all the above....its just not an option sadly. I can play my stamDK in trials with pretty decent success so there is that but for a toon that I can play everything else and not be on my face....I guess I am asking, magplar or magblade? Templars got some love did they not so yea.....maybe that's the best option. I shall venture out and see what "sticks" allt he while still giving my magden a fair go as well. You never know, just might be what I am looking for!
    Cheers!!!!

I've really been enjoying my MagBlade. They are very easy mechanics wise, and really pump out some nice DPS.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    1. MagPlar
    2. MagBlade
    3. MagDK
    4. MagSorc
    5. MagDen

This is correct but I'd say even in an imperfect situations magplars have an advantage due to group utility. MagPlars are extremely powerful this patch. A magblade provides nothing but single target dps. A magplar has; the same single target dps, better aoe dps, can use Ritual of Retribution without losing dps, and an aura to help group sustain (in limited situations). Magplars are like magblades plus you get other benefits.

If you're using Ritual of Retribution, then of course you are losing some DPS. That's one less "offensive" spell (Ele weapon, swallow soul, etc..) that you're using in lieu-of a "defensive" spell. MagBlades typically do more DPS than MagPlars (perfect world) but there is some truth that the MagPlar does have a little more utility.
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭

cheers!! Just rolled one
    ...event and all...lol

in short.... no.... Alcast/Liko/Lane= meta (basically all testers zero in on the same gear)

Monster (1 heavy 1 medium):
    -Zaan
    -Valkyn
    -Grothdarr

Gear:
    -Siroria
    -Spell Strat
    -Mothers Sorrow
    -Burning Spellweave
    -Master Architect
    -Scathing Mage
    -Julianos
    Edited by BooPerScOOper on December 18, 2018 4:16PM
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JobooAGS wrote: »

True. But I also have a rule that even if you are ranged, you should stay within 10m of the enemy for the sake of healing and keeping things near the tank.

I'd still count

cheers!! Just rolled one
    ...event and all...lol

in short.... no.... Alcast/Liko/Lane= meta (basically all testers zero in on the same gear)

-Zaan
    -Valkyn
    -Grothdarr

Gear:
    -Siroria
    -Spell Strat
    -Mothers Sorrow
    -Burning Spellweave
    -Master Architect
    -Scathing Mage
    -Julianos

Basically. This can basically be copied to just about any Mag build for any of the classes.

For example, Mother's Sorrow and Julianos is a good base combo that will perform well enough to do anything PvE wise outside of Vet Trials. No proc's to worry about, and the pure stats are great for any magicka based build.

Going to add Spinners to your list for those who are looking for Penetration.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »

True. But I also have a rule that even if you are ranged, you should stay within 10m of the enemy for the sake of healing and keeping things near the tank.

I'd still count

cheers!! Just rolled one
    ...event and all...lol

-Zaan
    -Valkyn
    -Grothdarr

Gear:
    -Siroria
    -Spell Strat
    -Mothers Sorrow
    -Burning Spellweave
    -Master Architect
    -Scathing Mage
    -Julianos

Basically. This can basically be copied to just about any Mag build for any of the classes.

For example, Mother's Sorrow and Julianos is a good base combo that will perform well enough to do anything PvE wise outside of Vet Trials. No proc's to worry about, and the pure stats are great for any magicka based build.

Going to add Spinners to your list for those who are looking for Penetration.

Doesnt soul harvest have a 5m range still? Though you can still go in and out to hit it (may be a danger to melee in bosses with anti stacking mechanics)
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesnt soul harvest have a 5m range still? Though you can still go in and out to hit it (may be a danger to melee in bosses with anti stacking mechanics)

Not sure about 5m, but it is totally a melee attack.

And anti stacking bosses, you are totally right. But I figured that is a given ; )
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And anti stacking bosses, you are totally right. But I figured that is a given ; )

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Death_Stroke If you can trust this website, here it is... otherwise a quick trip online should suffice once we log in
    Edited by JobooAGS on December 18, 2018 8:30PM
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Death_Stroke If you can trust this website, here it is... otherwise a quick trip online should suffice once we log in

I usually use ESO Academy, which confirms 5m range on Soul Harvest
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Donny_Vito wrote: »
    Iskiab wrote: »
    1. MagPlar
    2. MagBlade
    3. MagDK
    4. MagSorc
    5. MagDen

If you're using Ritual of Retribution, then of course you are losing some DPS. That's one less "offensive" spell (Ele weapon, swallow soul, etc..) that you're using in lieu-of a "defensive" spell. MagBlades typically do more DPS than MagPlars (perfect world) but there is some truth that the MagPlar does have a little more utility.

Yes, I would like to see this "without loseing DPS" when using ritual of retribution.