The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Hey Magblades! How's Murkmire for you?

• Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw I have been trying to make heavy armor work soooooooooo much. Last night for *** and giggles i threw back on my spinners/necro/TK gear...... totally outperformed heavy. I need to do more testing, could just have been a mayhem potato fatm
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I worked on a melee Magblade over the weekend and had both success and failure. As predicted it is terrible against premade ball groups but excels against 1 to 2 man fights. It's a very risky build that is highly dependent on choosing the right battles and maintaining elusiveness.

I used the same sets as my Destro/Resto Magblade: Caluurions and Spinners. For my monster set I used Pirate Skeleton.

Dual wield sword bar (yes DW!):
    Shadowy Disguise
    Race Against Time
    Crippling Grasp
    Concealed Weapon
    Merciless Resolve
    ULT: Incap

Resto bar:
    Mutagen
    Healing Ward
    Fear
    Deep Thoughts
    Siphoning Attacks
    ULT: Resto Ultimate

I have some video of it in Battlegrounds that I will share. I will say that if we get some much needed buffs next patch, melee Magblade has the potential to come back strong. It's very fun to play but can be a bit frustrating.
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't understand the point of melee magblade if not to use forward momentum. I applaud the dw effort but seems like all risk with no reward.

twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mursie wrote: »
    i don't understand the point of melee magblade if not to use forward momentum. I applaud the dw effort but seems like all risk with no reward.

I ran a DW MNB for so long I actually just got used to being snared all the time. With the recent nerf to duration of most snares they don’t bother me so much.

This also got me so familiar with them I no longer use snare removal on a Heavy armor Stam sorc either
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »

Two weapon enchants
    Faster light/heavy attacks
    Higher spell damage
    Fun factor
    Asethically pleasing

When you are in Cloak, you can heavy attack, get both weapon enchants off, and still stun with Concealed Weapon.

Additionally I find Forward Momentum at 4s now to be less valuable and too cost intensive for magicka classes.

Finally, I tried to make it work but I can't find room on my damage bar.
    Shadowy Disguise - need
    Race Against Time - need Major Expedition
    Crippling Grasp - need Siphoning skill
    Concealed Weapon - need
    Merciless Resolve - still valuable even with nerfs so need

It would be easy if I could run Destro/2H but the self healing just isn't there for that build.
    Edited by brandonv516 on January 14, 2019 4:24PM
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I user to run Kragnerac Hope with Warmaiden and Skoria or the ugly leatherhead.

Worked fine, but now I run

Spinner, brightbloat and skoria.

I didn't find swords for brightbloat so use a staff. I don't know what others run for penetration (I have unbuffed 12k spell penetration)

So far I like it. I only have trouble with shieldstackers and very tanky Dk's. And some uberhealing Templars.

But I don't feel ashamed. If I die, I die. Melee magblade is hard sometimes. I do switch to ranged when sieging a keep though.

Edit: lots of typos because I'm on my phone in a wobbly train.
    Edited by Knootewoot on January 14, 2019 4:58PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come only dw and 2h are mentioned when talking about melee nightblade? I myself have always run S/B for various reasons:

- more flat resistances and only small cut in spelldamage
    - extra armor glyph (health for dark cloak, magicka for harness)
    - cheap bash cancels for extra damage
    - highly needed damage reduction through blocking when pressured
    - i like being tanky *cough .. old saptank .. cough*

also leeching strikes helps a lot with stamina management
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Update, I swapped to a bowtard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6L4omudnE
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    Update, I swapped to a bowtard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6L4omudnE

Another one bites the dust...
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »

I only have trouble with shieldstackers and very tanky Dk's. And some uberhealing Templars.

Hehe. Yes. QFT +1 When Mayhem ends it's back to mostly these guys though. :)

• Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeezye wrote: »
    How come only dw and 2h are mentioned when talking about melee nightblade? I myself have always run S/B for various reasons:

I was trying a snb build with naga shaman, plague doctor and zaan. I found (and totally from my average player perspective) that the damage is completely lacking. I tried tO build around dark cloak and hots and found it to be just sub-par. The only item I was missing that may have made a difference is black rose resto.

As far as the 2h / dw discussion goes. I have always felt more comfortable running 2h builds as more of as range on back bar style. Dw magnb I'm lotus fan, concealed spam etc. But with 2h I play a more ranged keep fm up cloak around and proc mercy from funnel weaves on resto bar with hots ticking. Only going to 2h for the damage combo
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh the only reason I don't do snb mnb is I always think of Ninja turtles.
    And then I can't take my own toons very seriously. :(
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I want to try is the Stygian set. It’s a medium armour set that gives some spell damage and raw stamina, but the 5 piece bonus is really nice. Whenever you attack from invisibility you get a 20 percent damage boost.

My thinking is 5 Stygian, Asylum staff, ice heart and 5 lich on the back bar only, with the gear of 5 light, 1 med and 1 heavy.

I bought a couple gold rings but the issue is the the starting trait is stamina. I’d have to transmute the rings to swift or magicka. I might hit like a wet noodle, I’m not sure the final stats will be strong enough to PK anyone. A 20 percent damage buff and auto crit from cloak sounds good, but if the base is low the damage will still suck.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    One thing I want to try is the Stygian set. It’s a medium armour set that gives some spell damage and raw stamina, but the 5 piece bonus is really nice. Whenever you attack from invisibility you get a 20 percent damage boost.

My thinking is 5 Stygian, Asylum staff, ice heart and 5 lich on the back bar only, with the gear of 5 light, 1 med and 1 heavy.

I bought a couple gold rings but the issue is the the starting trait is stamina. I’d have to transmute the rings to swift or magicka. I might hit like a wet noodle, I’m not sure the final stats will be strong enough to PK anyone. A 20 percent damage buff and auto crit from cloak sounds good, but if the base is low the damage will still suck.

I think people used to run a heavy attack build with elegant, stygian, and inferno heavies
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Weird. With that combination my rotation would be crushing - cloak - crushing- cloak - etc... when I pvp as a magblade I cloak spam. I might try combining a pen set, IDK.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try
    Stygian + caluurions, if you can

Cloak+ concealed (9k) plus soul harvest (9k)+ caluurions (9k) should just about ko anyone under 27k health.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone running sap essence? I really dislike using pots for major sorcery and find entropy such a boring skill and play style. Sap is fun, gives me a spammable in outnumbered situations and when people are running around me and also offers survivability. It also combos so smoothly with lotus and fear
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calboy wrote: »
    Anyone running sap essence? I really dislike using pots for major sorcery and find entropy such a boring skill and play style. Sap is fun, gives me a spammable in outnumbered situations and when people are running around me and also offers survivability. It also combos so smoothly with lotus and fear

Sap is trash imo. Magnb should not be in the middle of the action like that unless you're a pure troll tank. From my experience if you build a brawler you have 0 damage, and extremely nerfed healing. And damage builds are way to squishy to stand in a pack and spam it.

I have yet to find a decent brawler build since healing has been nerfed.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How much spell penetration does one general have?
    I'm on 12k .

How do people get 4500 spelldamage? I'm usually around 2k, with 45k magicka. Unbuffed though. That's with spinner and brighthroat. My concealed tooltip is 9200.

Yesterday I made some great kills. Today I could not put a dent in anyone , and all my ranged attack got dodged. It was really frustrating after a while.

Oh well, dust of and try again.

Edit: I might try Stygian and elegance and just do heavies from stealth. Would be fun if I can shoot siegers this say.
    Edited by Knootewoot on January 15, 2019 7:00PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
  • NightAngel690
    NightAngel690
    ✭✭✭

Not to mention the fact that you have access to the poor man’s reflective scales. *cough cough* please buff! *cough cough*
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to mention the fact that you have access to the poor man’s reflective scales. *cough cough* please buff! *cough cough*

Snb might actually be good front bar on healer. I need to testy, my Feely feels are tingling.
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So more testing. Basically I have come to the conclusion that melee magblade with swords and concealed speed is the funnest spec in the game and merciless resolve is the most clunky and terribly designed skill in the game.

I tried melee with a destro staff equipped but it didn't feel right and bars got too clogged with a destro skill and always just ended up spending too much time at range.

The hardest thing I'm struggling with is just not enough damage (heavy armor, no merciless) and no burst heal. Cloak is amazing but I have no real way to get my health up quickly. My damage is still very good but it's not enough to prevent anyone with skill from turning and burning me unless I cloak away. I tried light armor but it's simply too squishy and I hate using wards, they simply are not fun.

The healing ward nerf is absolutely brutal for this spec.
  • dominguero96
    dominguero96
    ✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    How much spell penetration does one general have?
    I'm on 12k .

How do people get 4500 spelldamage? I'm usually around 2k, with 45k magicka. Unbuffed though. That's with spinner and brighthroat. My concealed tooltip is 9200.

Yesterday I made some great kills. Today I could not put a dent in anyone , and all my ranged attack got dodged. It was really frustrating after a while.

Oh well, dust of and try again.

Edit: I might try Stygian and elegance and just do heavies from stealth. Would be fun if I can shoot siegers this say.

I can get to 3800 + 450 from war maiden which is fair enough but I dont recommend it. Magblades don't have enough base damage so adding more spell damage won't be enough, other classes will kill you with less stats. I recommend a damage + regen, sadly getting the highest damage isn't worth it at all.

I have tried a lot of builds and the two builds I use:
    - valkyn + Necro + bright throats or shacklebreaker if u need stamina
    - kena + spell strategist + bright throats

With the next racial nerfs my dunmer will suffer from stacking max magicka so I'll use the second build
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of the racial changes I'm *** pissed off. They nerfing argonian, my magnb playstyle of heavy armor argonian brawler has been completely destroyed over the last couple patches.

*** zos
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Speaking of the racial changes I'm *** pissed off. They nerfing argonian, my magnb playstyle of heavy armor argonian brawler has been completely destroyed over the last couple patches.

*** zos

I'm actually thinking of chaning my argonian NB too.. Reduced incoming healing really sucks, and I think NB should have a regen perk in their race because of the 15% passives. Since I am usually spamming skills, I'm heavily thinking of rocking a breton next.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think scruffy might be a kitty cat again and this long Dunmerian nightmare will soon be over.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, you guys were deluded if you thought Argonians would stay a good magblade race. Nothing in the lore points to them being good for the magblade style, they’re a one trick pony with that potion passive.

High elves on the other hand look perfect for magblades now.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone tried amber plasm plus Stygian? If you go Stygian and spam invisibility you need a ton of magicka regen.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, you guys were deluded if you thought Argonians would stay a good magblade race. Nothing in the lore points to them being good for the magblade style, they’re a one trick pony with that potion passive.

High elves on the other hand look perfect for magblades now.

nightblade aren't just about stabbing your foe's backs every time they drop their guard, but also about sapping live out of their enemies and sustaining through leeching health *sap sap sap*. therefore, argonians actually make a very good fit for the class, and according to the game's lore everything race combination should be playable as you like.
    Anyone tried amber plasm plus Stygian? If you go Stygian and spam invisibility you need a ton of magicka regen.

which decent magblade even spamms cloak ...
    giphy.gif
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A long time ago I ran Stygian and loved it. Then they did the stam/magicka split and the set was always awkward. It had some weird bugs when it was modifying max magicka and spellpower. At least I think that's what it was. I'm old so I don't remember things as well. Then they switched it back to 20% damage and you could do 3 jewelry and 2 weapons so not have to wear multiple mediums. I remember running around Coldharbour farming chests.

Problem is that you can't do the old magelight empower + stygian surprise attack anymore. So it's really not worth it. I would rather run spinners or war maiden and get a solid bonus to my opener and whatever follow up attacks I can manage.

Now if they were to turn it into a monster helm 2nd piece effect?