Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Brand new to the game looking for advice.

Reddoor
Reddoor
Soul Shriven
So i am playing a wood elf NB, been using bows and daggers, and i am so overwhelmed by the amount of abilities in this game, should i worry about my build as i quest around or just wing it? is it easy to respec your build.

Also any advice to help a new player i would take... just super overwhelmed by the game but having fun.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO! Great game with great people. We complain a lot (me included) but overall it's the best MMO out there in my opinion.

Too much to tell all at once so I suggest taking your time, do the quests and enjoy the story. The game auto levels your character from whatever level it is to CP 160 BUT it does not level your gear so your Weapon and Spell damage and other specs drop as you level unless you also level you gear as you go. Many of us level our gear on new characters every ten or so levels until CP 160. Some don't do that but wait until they reach CP 160 to get CP 160 gear.

I suggest also looking on the Internet at various people's builds and rotations. Lot out there to give you some insight. Alcasthq.com is a good one with many others as well.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reddoor wrote: »
    So i am playing a wood elf NB, been using bows and daggers, and i am so overwhelmed by the amount of abilities in this game, should i worry about my build as i quest around or just wing it? is it easy to respec your build.

Also any advice to help a new player i would take... just super overwhelmed by the game but having fun.

Get out while you can. They will take your money,ignore all issues you have, and the blame you for their performance.
    Edited by Koolio on November 27, 2018 1:37AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t worry too much about it right now. There are pretty clear stamina morphs for the abilities. Bow and duel wield is the right path for PvE damage roles. It’s kind of up to you if you just wanna play however or if you’re going more towards vet content completion. If you’re just here to have fun then just enjoy. Otherwise you might want to head to @Alcast site alcasthq.com

There are a lot of guides/theory crafters out there but imo he provides the most comprehensive and in depth guide for beginners but also how to build for starting out, then also CP distribution for 300, 600 and cap. And if you decide to PvP also, you’re on one of the strongest classes.
    Edited by Vapirko on November 27, 2018 6:52AM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my advice from a person who sucks at the game. My advice is just have fun. I HATED the game when I tried to game it or play builds that people say. My other problem is I have restartitis. I kept deleting characters. THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE.

While you CAN'T change classes, you can change builds. Also it's pretty easy to respect, just costs in game gold. So if you are leveling up a character and like the class but no the race you can pay REAL MONEY to change if it you so like. If you like your race and class as I said you can easily respect but costs gold. (Not real money).

I say if you are a PvE player, just enjoy the game. Wing it. It does get hard when you hit level 50. At least for me it did. Sadly when levelling a character either stick to all stamina or all magika because the damage goes of that I believe. Someone correct me if I am wrong. If you do want to min and max, go ahead you can do that as well.

Do you plan on getting ESO+. If money is not an option, I strongly suggest getting it. You get all DLC, (not Summerset that is called a "story") and the craft bag. I can't live without the craft bag.

So once you have ESO+ or can get to The Gold Coast, I strongly suggest to start the Dark Brotherhood quest. Even if you don't complete it, start it to get the Blade of Woe. With that, you can sneak up on people and kill them in on shot. For me, I think of "knocking them out" for role playing reasons, and adds more options how to play the game.

Just do what is fun. Don't worry about "how it is suppose to be done". When I did that I had no fun playing ESO. Once I did what I wanted even if it was "wrong" I am having so much fun with ESO now.

Hope this helps. :)
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    My advice play the story and collect the Skyshards from all zones while you are levelling and just enjoy the story

Wait till your 160 before you look at builds and by that time you will know your skills that you like and what they all do and the role you want to be
    Edited by macsmooth on November 27, 2018 9:06PM
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    Just wing it. If you're just questing and not doing dungeons you can get away with using 2-3 skills that you like using and still be able to kill stuff. Fill the other slots with things to level up other skill lines when you gain XP - even if it's for a skill line that you think you won't use. You never know when you'll want to respec into a different role.

I never had more fun in this game when I relied on sneaking up near enemies, putting Mark Target on one of them, then using Teleport Strike > Swallow Soul > Bloodthirst (4x). It's not suitable for harder content, but I could get really immersed in getting through a delve or a quest that way and it felt true to essence of the nightblade class. It worked really well when I was at early levels and my resource pools were low and I needed healing returned to me in order to stay alive - I didn't tax my main one (stam) as much as if I used only stam skills/morphs

There are a ton of things to do in this game and a lot of places to go to. If you're doing something and it's not fun, leave it and do something else or go to a different zone.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter what some people may say. Choose only mag or stam. Hybrid is a myth.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language