Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What's more important, Min/Max or RP?

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I focus on character only, the other details are unimportant.
    This poll selection was as close as I could get. The first thing I do when creating a character is select Bosmer. That is non-negotiable but does not deter me at all from making magic or stam characters. Aside from race, however, I spend quite a bit of time researching so I can make effective and solid choices regarding builds. My main is a magplar healer and, despite being one of the shortest healers on the battlefield, she does very well.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need all my stats just right, will choose best race/class for role.
    I make the build first and then the character.

But, honestly...If the build gets nerfed? I don't care if the new build doesn't fit the character...I will change to whatever is useful. For those who have a problem with this sort of thing? I recommend that former statement. Make the build first and then the character.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [X] OTHER

Both are important. Keep in mind that this game, at it's core, is an mmorpg. Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of players in the game are pve'ers that are not in the top 1% of the player base. Keep in mind that without the revenue generated from the overwhelming majority of players, this game would probably not survive financially. If this game is not financially solvent, min/max doesn't matter because there would no longer be a game for it to matter in.

Edited by Maryal on November 21, 2018 2:35AM
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I try to balance my role around my character's racial/class strengths.
    It's complicated.

I'm never going to go all altmer stam sorc. Like, that's just ... bad.

but at the same time, I have a nord stam warden, which is very sub optimal just so I can go NORD WARDEN! every time in vICP :grin:

My mag sorc is my main PvE dps however so I race changed to Altmer from Breton because I feel like the other 11 people in the trial deserve to get the best I can deliver.
  • Odnoc
    Odnoc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about stats.
    Well, it is an RPG so I pick the race based on which I like regarding lore... Also, it is an MMO, so bonuses today don't mean bonuses tomorrow.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I pick my race based on what i want to build. However, I dont always choose the best race, but try to choose top 3. But sometimes i want to play something other than a high elf and redguard.
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to build my characters based on a combination of what works vs. what I like. At the same time though, outside of what I like stylistically, I do like to make logical choices. As an example, I don't like pets, so my Sorc is a no pet sorc, and would be even if the meta screamed pets, cause I don't like em! But, she is a Breton. It works lore-wise for me, and supports a magika build statwise, and I like their look. I also don't have any Orc magika builds at the moment, cause It don't make much sense...But I have some melee Orc builds. It's not meta for melee, but it's close enough for me.

IMO min-maxing is for bleeding edge progression, where that extra 1 or 2% is actually going to show. 98% of the time, player skill is more important, and that 2-4% of whatever isn't going to matter squat.
    Edited by temjiu on November 21, 2018 3:28AM
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to find a good balance to fit my role I plan on playing. I research my races passives, gear, and skills but if I have a choice with a race I like or another I don't but it has 5% bonus damage, I'll go with the one I prefer to look at all day playing. In the end though, if my character doesn't look exactly how I want him to look, He could be the top dealer and I would be seriously unhappy lol.
    Edited by Zardayne on November 21, 2018 4:39AM
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I base it around racial/class strengths. So, as an orc, my racial strength is having a monopoly on all the sexy. And once you have that, any class shines, so... no need to re-roll for me. :)
          In verity.
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosov wrote: »
    RP is important. If someone in the RP community talks about minmax he is going to get kicked. It is more enjoyable to roleplay a goodlooking dead character than to clear content with a minmax character!

This got me to laughing because it's me in a lot of ways.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »
    The whole discussion about Argonians being the "master race" and tons of people switching/re-rolling have made me curious about how many of you consider race important, and in which way. Do you focus of character or stats? How far are you willing to go to get perfect stats, or how much will you sacrifice to have the character you want? Vote and comment!

So long as it can get the job done, I would say there is nothing wrong with the character build.

Min/maxing is not necessary, and of lesser importance to me than having fun.
  • Greysson
    Greysson
    ✭✭✭✭
    The look of my characters is more important to me than their stats.
    There are several races i dont like (for their look or their general behavior, like Altmer) and i would never play them, regardless of their racial bonusses.
  • Motherball
    Motherball
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the day. I feel a little scitzoid somtimes with this hobby. In general I don’t care as much about the challenge or rewards as the story and experience. I enjoy combat and progression but rarely desire the best gear, stats, or build. I would always choose based on character over stats for race and class selection.
    Edited by Motherball on November 21, 2018 6:25AM
  • RogueShark
    RogueShark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is, I don't care about racial stats. I still use and go after appropriate sets, enchantments, etc for my build.
    THAT being said... I play a khajiit sorc healer. :neutral:
    It hasn't stopped me from working on and completing content, including DLC dungeon challenges and vet HM trials. Would a magicka race be better?
    Hell yeah.
    Do I care?
    Not enough to race change. I love my shady furball.
    PC NA
    Will heal DPS for memes.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The opposite of being a min-maxer isn’t rp.
    Edited by max_only on November 22, 2018 3:42AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both.

It is the combination of the 2 that make the game interesting. Many games would only have the former, rather than the latter, etc
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other

Horses for courses.

The characters I use for questing are built around their RP storylines. They are strong enough to fill the role of a hero, but they are not optimised for combat.
    The character I use for soloing group content is min-maxed for that job.
    My PvP characters are totally min-maxed golden BiS for the sake competitiveness.
    PC EU
  • Saphayla
    Saphayla
    ✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    Aren't options 3 and 5 the same?

Can someone answer this since I have the same question?
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Bosmer tanks and breton dps are close enough.

Bosmer tanks FTW!

• John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I chose what I chose, but I don't like how the poll is worded. The "I try to balance ... around the racials ..." implies that I'd try to pick my character and then try to be the role and spec that fits the racials best. It isn't true. It's worded in a way that implies that if someone likes argonians, then after choosing an argonian to play, they would pick role of tank or healer to play on their character's strengths. But in my case, while I'm not trading my identity, I'm not trading my favored role either (in my case they are least somewhat match, even if off meta - a khajiit sDK DD), I'm just trying to make best out of my situation even if my racial passives don't cooperate well with me and I have to swim against the current. That is different to playing to the chosen race's strengths (which is how, I feel, that poll option is worded).

So in short - this option isn't in the poll - I do enjoy min-maxing, I have the need to contribute, perform the best I can and pull every bit of my weight and then some. But I wouldn't trade my identity for it. Oftentimes it makes me struggle harder than I could have, I'm not happy with it, and I have to make do.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    First I choose class + optimal race, then I give him/her looks + fitting name
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do min/max. But for my character, not for the role. I just look for the most efficient way to play my khajiit sorcerer. But lately, I have been trying to find a way to play tank or healer with it, and just drop the meta.

I'm nearly at 35k dps at the moment, but I'm not having fun on this game beside housing. It's more of a job than a game, and that's my fault for taking it too seriously.
    Edited by Elwendryll on November 21, 2018 9:34AM
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never really understood the intense desire to make x character and then cram them into the game, gimping them just to rp. I've always started from the class and role I want, and then pick a race from the top 2 or 3 recommended.

The character develops a personality as they level, get an outfit, and choose their mount. I get teased by friends because of the heavily detailed backgrounds all my characters have, yet they're all still the bis or close to bis race for their role. It just sounds unpleasant to make something like a khajiit magsorc, where it's harder to sustain and put out anything close to the same dps as a sub-par magic race.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    The whole discussion about Argonians being the "master race" and tons of people switching/re-rolling have made me curious about how many of you consider race important, and in which way. Do you focus of character or stats? How far are you willing to go to get perfect stats, or how much will you sacrifice to have the character you want? Vote and comment!

This is an interesting statement that without context seems very inaccurate. Argonians are not the overall master race.

They are great for PvP and BiS for tanking and at least second for healing if not BiS. They are not BiS for damage with stam or mag.

So no, they are not the master race.

Also, the answer to the forums depends on the players interest. Most just play the game to enjoy the story and play with some friends. Further, most would not notice a real benefit to their DPS if they were a fire mage with a Dunmer (Master Race for fire builds).

I am talking mostly from a PvP perspective on that one, yes. Many have been saying that the racial passive is very unbalanced in that respect.

That would be the context that is missing. This is not posted in the PvP section.

At that, most in Cyrodiil are not playing on Argonians and I am speakging soley about those that PvP heavily.

K. Someone's got something up their tail-hole.
    Edited by Datolite on November 21, 2018 11:23AM
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Poll option 6: Fun is the most important aspect for me

after all, why bother playing if you're not having fun?
  • chaoseater99
    chaoseater99
    ✭✭
    I started this game initially and tried min maxing most of the time with 4 characters(mag DK/mag sorc/stamblade) and never ended up even hitting CP levels with any of them.
    Dropped all of those, decided on my roleplay choice first. I always love playing as a necromancer/summoner type mages in RPGs, and I love Altmer women too. Made a character to perfectly fit that role, and a month later now am farming my monster sets in vet dungeons with her after hitting CP160.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [x] I would not call it RP, but there are more important things then Min/Max

• Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kinda depends, my old characters might not be the best race after all the changes that were made since 2014, but I would never consider a race change, it's so easy to just create a new character.

If I create a new one though I always choose the best race for the role intended, there's no reason to gimp myself by choosing something other than the best if that is the purpose. And that concludes it I guess, if you just want to role play or something, choose whatever you like, but for example if you want the best DPS race for your magicka sorcerer, why would you choose something other than Altmer?
    EU PC
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian are going to get the hammer eventually, we all know it, I play what race I enjoy, which usually are more human looking races (Breton, Redguard, Imperial)
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are aspects of aesthetics or psychical appearance, i just can't deal with. For example playing as reptile among other things. I want my female characters to be at least semi-cute lol.

Doesn't matter if a race is currently BIS, if I'm finding it really unpleasant to look at. It's gonna be way more annoying in the long run than missing out on % dps.

But obviously a race with magicka bonus will have a magicka build. I would never try to bend a race into a role it has no synergy with in terms of bonuses.