The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What's more important, Min/Max or RP?

Datolite
Datolite
✭✭✭✭✭
The whole discussion about Argonians being the "master race" and tons of people switching/re-rolling have made me curious about how many of you consider race important, and in which way. Do you focus of character or stats? How far are you willing to go to get perfect stats, or how much will you sacrifice to have the character you want? Vote and comment!

What's more important, Min/Max or RP? 230 votes

I need all my stats just right, will choose best race/class for role.
32%
SuddwrathDaveMoeDeed.schaerb16_ESO2AurielleIselinPasdevstojekarcub18_ESObottleofsyrupstreetmagicUvirythLatiosBlkadrscholar666Oreyn_Bearclawredspecter23EirellamoleculeDefiltedVaohMilwaukeeScott 74 votes
I try to balance my role around my character's racial/class strengths.
41%
laurajfZardaynetspecherb14_ESOwenchmore420b14_ESOWuffyCeruleiDatoliteNhs1982rwb17_ESOSheezabeastRavenSwornUPrimeLinaleahJeremyleeuxTannus15AbigailEdziutemjiuRomolzzyeliisra 96 votes
I focus on character only, the other details are unimportant.
18%
theskymovesDanikatixieaubrey.baconb16_ESOElsonsoPathMasterSpatulaIluvrienamithAhzekTandorTonturriHvzedaTheShadowScoutSevalaricgirlvonScuzzmanDelta1038BosovSomewhereNumber_51 43 votes
I don't care about character looks.
0%
TheHsNKdka 2 votes
I don't care about stats.
6%
SantieClawsCoatmagicValagashElissaeVenscalFallen_RayOdnocKeldheirExodiumShawn_PTElectrone_MagnusRogueSharkBretonMagetodoketeGreysson 15 votes
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosmer tanks and breton dps are close enough.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on November 20, 2018 3:19PM
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Option #6 I honestly just dgaf anymore...lol

Play either naked or with 0cp in CP Camps

More fun trying to get the impossible kills than it is playing easy modes...die multiple times?who cares we are all going to lag out n get disconnected anyways
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There isn't quite a poll option that reflects me, but storytelling and character are by far the most important considerations. If all I do is come up with a "this would be neat in terms of game mechanics" and don't have an actual personality and story for the character, I get bored with them and delete them pretty quickly. So for the most part, I come up with a character concept first, and then figure out how to make it work with the tools I've been given in this particular game while still building an effective character for the types of content I like to do. I'm unwilling to sacrifice characterization for the sake of min-maxing. If I'm honest, I hate power gamers as I come from a tabletop RPG background. Someone fixated on "winning" a tabletop RPG is missing the damn point of them. I feel the same way about this game, frankly, though I can forgive it a bit more as some content in ESO was designed to cater to power gamers. That's the content I don't touch.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do 'end game' content and it's more important to me that the game is fun than that it's easy. Part of what makes it fun for me is making up a character concept and 'role playing' them. So I pick a class, race, weapons etc. when creating the character and I don't tend to change it unless I think something else would be a better fit.

I freely admit that those don't always make sense, even to me. For example my argonian nightblade isn't a tank but does use a sword and shield and even I couldn't really tell you why, other than it felt right. I tried changing her to Dual-wield or two-handed weapons but it just didn't seem to fit the way a sword and shield does.

I will change skills if I feel like they're not good enough, but again that's based on my personal experience and what I find fun - if I feel like a skill isn't really doing anything, or what it is doing isn't interesting to me, then I'll change it out, but that's as likely to be a meta-build 'must have' skill as one which has recently been nerfed and declared useless.

I wouldn't ever change any of my characters race because that would make them a completely different person and then I'd rather delete them and make a new character to play than swap them and try to pretend everything they've already done didn't happen or happened to the new character 'behind the scenes'.
    Edited by Danikat on November 20, 2018 4:22PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have fun in whatever flavor strikes your fancy.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fashion and doing well in PvP are endgame for me.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • EphemeraCrawford
    EphemeraCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭
    I try to fit a character to a race/class, but I don't min-max I'm more concerned with getting them a house and appropriate mounts and pets. I have a Lot of alts and am working on more. I play the game completely differently then people who PVP or do Vet content, and ESO is big enough to stretch over many playstyles.
    Edited by EphemeraCrawford on November 20, 2018 4:47PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I waved goodbye to min/maxing about the time I discovered I loved playing a PVP healer on my MagDK Vestige and a PVE StamSorc on my Breton Silencer.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seeing as ESO was neither my first MMO nor first of the TES series, I made my first characters with racial passives in mind to an extent. Most aren't a meta race for their class, but they work. One of my favorite characters is a bosmer stamsorc. They make good stamina characters, but there are usually better choices.

I dont like argonians so it's unlikely that I'll ever make one for any role. I dont have anything against them, I just dont want to play one. So there is a line I'm not going to cross. My happy place is between having the character that I want and being able to do the content that I want to do. Theres a lot of open ground there so I pick the option that best reflected balance.

That's my personal outlook. I dont care what anybody else plays.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bis PvE healer race is Argonian while Altmer being close second.
    My primary concern are stats, but I would never switch my beautiful Altmer for some filthy lizard in order to have 1 - 2% more of effective healing.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on November 20, 2018 5:21PM
  • Latios
    Latios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s an MMO, and the harder you push for content, the more important things like stats become. I only play one character, which is very special to me, so I don’t hesitate to race change if I feel it’s needed.
    The Eon Pokémon.
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend a lot of time researching builds before I create a character. Inevitably, however, I'm more interested in experimenting and contriving a character that's viable in solo content and is as unique as possible in this game. Min/max is a low priority for me.

If "Main" is even appropriate, my favorite character is a Breton MagBlade. She doesn't do nearly as much damage as my comparably built Bosmer StamBlade, but she runs through her rotation very quickly, is highly survivable, and certainly viable in everything I throw her in. She's 5/5 with Seducer/Juliano light armor, which gives her almost unlimited staying power, while weaving only LAs with DS, Shadow and Siphoning skills. I'm very much a run-and-gun (highly mobile) player and she suits me very well, though far from min/max.
  • Bosov
    Bosov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RP is important. If someone in the RP community talks about minmax he is going to get kicked. It is more enjoyable to roleplay a goodlooking dead character than to clear content with a minmax character!
    Xbox One - EU - GT : Bosov
    PC - EU - @Bosov91

ESO Highight :
    https://twitter.com/SlashLurk/status/895068339273310208

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% looks/aesthetics, 10% enough stats (and enjoyable gameplay style) to get through basic/solo content without major struggle.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on November 20, 2018 6:15PM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing as ESO was neither my first MMO nor first of the TES series, I made my first characters with racial passives in mind to an extent. Most aren't a meta race for their class, but they work. One of my favorite characters is a bosmer stamsorc. They make good stamina characters, but there are usually better choices.

I dont like argonians so it's unlikely that I'll ever make one for any role. I dont have anything against them, I just dont want to play one. So there is a line I'm not going to cross. My happy place is between having the character that I want and being able to do the content that I want to do. Theres a lot of open ground there so I pick the option that best reflected balance.

That's my personal outlook. I dont care what anybody else plays.

This is kind of me. I went with Imperial templar at launch cause I liked the concept, and kind of because the passives sounded like they would work for a tank. I have an Argonian tank with a more traditional (and more effective) build but I like him less for some reason...
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I also don't care about looks.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I min/max my character for the content I plan to play with him/her, and once that is done, I do my best to make them look awesome. Haha
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither, or both

I don't min/max to explicitly min/max

I don't RP to explicitly RP

I just do what I consider to be fun, if it falls into either side then fine, if not, hey! I'm having fun.
    EU PS4
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bis PvE healer race is Argonian while Altmer being close second.
    My primary concern are stats, but I would never switch my beautiful Altmer for some filthy lizard in order to have 1 - 2% more of effective healing.

Sure, but the content can be cleared with any mix of race/class. The problem comes in when people refuse to bring certain people along simply because they aren't min/max even though they can do the content.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Starlock and @Danikat: y'all took the words right out of my mouth. So now I don't have to type a bunch! *laughing*
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont in/max but i still pull good numbers and yeah etc, i play with what i like and what im comfortable with and what fits my style and race and stuff basically and yeah :D
    at a place nobody knows
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Argonian characters coz Argonians are cool, moist & scaly. That they are also potion chugging heal-machines is pure bonus. Normally I do try to select the race that has a quality for the character... Bosmer, Reguard, Orc or khajiit for Stam characters & Altmer, Breton or Dunmer for magicka characters. Nord for tanking. I actually only have one healer & it's a Dunmer :p
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly rp since I am much more into questing, exploring and just wondering around, but I also try to follow some guides to point me in the right direction so I don't have godawful dps.
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about stats.
    Aren't options 3 and 5 the same?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »
    The whole discussion about Argonians being the "master race" and tons of people switching/re-rolling have made me curious about how many of you consider race important, and in which way. Do you focus of character or stats? How far are you willing to go to get perfect stats, or how much will you sacrifice to have the character you want? Vote and comment!

This is an interesting statement that without context seems very inaccurate. Argonians are not the overall master race.

They are great for PvP and BiS for tanking and at least second for healing if not BiS. They are not BiS for damage with stam or mag.

So no, they are not the master race.

Also, the answer to the forums depends on the players interest. Most just play the game to enjoy the story and play with some friends. Further, most would not notice a real benefit to their DPS if they were a fire mage with a Dunmer (Master Race for fire builds).
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

This is an interesting statement that without context seems very inaccurate. Argonians are not the overall master race.

They are great for PvP and BiS for tanking and at least second for healing if not BiS. They are not BiS for damage with stam or mag.

Also, the answer to the forums depends on the players interest. Most just play the game to enjoy the story and play with some friends. Further, most would not notice a real benefit to their DPS if they were a fire mage with a Dunmer (Master Race for fire builds).

I am talking mostly from a PvP perspective on that one, yes. Many have been saying that the racial passive is very unbalanced in that respect.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're going for leaderboards you can be effective with almost any combo. Unless you go riduclously outrageous, like try and play with all stamina skills with 64 in magicka, or something like that. Despite the caterwauling every time zos changes something, most of the time the tolerances between item sets etc are pretty small.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

I am talking mostly from a PvP perspective on that one, yes. Many have been saying that the racial passive is very unbalanced in that respect.

That would be the context that is missing. This is not posted in the PvP section.

At that, most in Cyrodiil are not playing on Argonians and I am speakging soley about those that PvP heavily.
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not, like, super important for me, though. I love my story and character just as much, even more! I just try to think about what the character will be used for when I'm creating them.
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most important is balance, which ESO does not have, and which we'll see if the upcoming changes hinted at produce.