Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Higher FPS vs Better Graphics

Suddwrath
Suddwrath
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Which do you prefer?

Higher FPS vs Better Graphics 61 votes

Buttery smooth FPS
65%
SuddwrathNebthet78HalloweenWeedIdinuseEnemy-of-ColdharbourWitchyWarriormoleculecoolermhWrathmaneSnowZeniaDojohodaTheHsNDracan_FontomKadoinSpiderKnightmcagataygBossXVKdkaDocFrost72susmitds 40 votes
Beautiful 4k nordic bath towels
9%
DMuehlhausenMicah_BayerSjuEfxCzMartiniDanielstactx 6 votes
Depends on the content (trials vs overland)
24%
static_rechargexcalibur007Oreyn_BearclawEphemeraCrawfordmsettenAurieValknerThogardkinguardianJobooAGSEnokarielMagicalLijacolossalvoidsCreationofgodProtoavis73 15 votes
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    As low as possible since I only pvp and it's already bad enough.
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    Crixus8000 wrote: »

As low as possible?
    I would prefer as high as possible, certainly over 30
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    Crixus8000 wrote: »

The Elder PowerPoint Online.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    Well, seeing as how my console can't render 4k graphics, the choice is obvious. Even if it could, the choice would still be obvious.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My priority is being able to play the game. I'm happy to compromise on both graphics and FPS to keep the game playable. There's no point having hyper realistic graphics with lots of extra effects if I can't actually see what's going on because my FPS is so low I don't find out what's happened until it's over. But there's also no point in having amazing FPS if I can't see what's going on because it's a blocky, fuzzy mess with 1/2 the stuff not loaded in, and no point pretending I could achieve both if it would cost a small fortune every few years to buy brand new top-of-the-line upgrades for my PC and an even more expensive internet connection than I already have.

Having played with FPS between about 30 and 100 (allegedly, that's what the in-game display told me I was getting) I'd say anywhere between about 35-60 is fine with me. Below 35 it's getting too slow to be useful and above 60 I don't really notice any difference. I can't remember right now what my graphics settings are and I can't get in-game to check but I think it's somewhere between the mid-point and the maximum.

I'm fine with both as they are, since it achieves my goal of being able to see what I'm doing and what's happening around me.

(Note: I don't play PvP, on the rare occasions I'm in Cyrodiil my hope is that I won't see anyone else, which is usually achievable. So that might help explain why I don't have problems with FPS.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the content (trials vs overland)
    My rig runs this game just fine ultra at 3440x1440, 60fps every where except cyro and certain trials. In that content I certainly turn down my Graphics down a bit. In serious combat FPS is objectively more important than max graphics settings.
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    Should get both.

You wouldn't buy a car that you had to turn off the stereo and air-con to get the engine to run smoothly
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    I can't believe it's not butter.

We need MOAR butter!
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Beautiful 4k nordic bath towels
    While high FPS is nice your eye really on picks up on 40 max. So if you have a rig that can run smooth at 4k and 60 fps that is going be the best option.
  • Strike_Maximus
    Strike_Maximus
    ✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    Without a reasonable fps it would make it hard to play the game.
    With an FPS that is too low you experience jittery game play freezes or even crashes making it hard to play the game because of well the obvious, EVERYTHING IS JITTERY AND UNPLAYABLE.
    I used to game on a nice laptop a few years ago but as it got older it was becoming harder and harder to play newer games because of the frame rate issues.
    Sometimes the frames where so low that you would not even be able to play the game and left you feeling strained and wanting to barf on your screen because of all of the issues and i'm not even motion sick!
    So in conclusion even if you have to run potato graphics settings as long as your getting a smooth or tolerable FPS it's a win in my book.
    PC/NA/DC

CP 810
    Garin Maximus, Breton, Dragonknight, Confused (Crafter)
    Vertalius Maximus, Imperial, Templar, Tank
    Vistilia Maximus, Imperial, Magicka Templar, Healer
    Stormproof - Rowlan Maximus, Breton, Pet Sorc, DPS (MAIN)
    Theottus Maximus, Imperial, Stam night blade, DPS
    Stedus Maximus, Imperial, Magicka Templar, DPS
    Dexion Maximus, Imperial, Magicka Necromancer, DPS
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    Buttery smooth FPS is a nobrainer choice for both, end-game PvE and PvP players. Would you like to watch the beautiful 4k boss while laying dead on the ground?
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    Or some kind of separation of PvP and PvE rendering. Honestly, I loathe having to bring my settings down before going into Cyrodiil, and even lowering them doesn't improve things much. I run a bleeding edge gaming PC, and PvP still feels choppy and broken even when adjusting for it. PvE I can play with ultra-high settings no problem, and stay between 60 and 90 FPS. I just wish I didn't have to do all the damn work to compensate for a trash gaming engine.
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    molecule wrote: »
    Should get both.

You wouldn't buy a car that you had to turn off the stereo and air-con to get the engine to run smoothly

Your comparison doesn't make sense. This thread is debating wether you want a 500hp car or a 40mpg car. You can't have both.
    XBox One - NA
  • Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    Mintaka5 wrote: »
    Or some kind of separation of PvP and PvE rendering. Honestly, I loathe having to bring my settings down before going into Cyrodiil, and even lowering them doesn't improve things much. I run a bleeding edge gaming PC, and PvP still feels choppy and broken even when adjusting for it. PvE I can play with ultra-high settings no problem, and stay between 60 and 90 FPS. I just wish I didn't have to do all the damn work to compensate for a trash gaming engine.

I have the exact same issue... since launch I've played this game in ultra settings, and max vision distance, even when PvPing..... since the Murkmire patch whenever i go into Cyrodil... (pretty much every night) I drop the graphics to lowest setting and minimum vision distance..... and I will still freeze and crash to the login at least 6-7 times in a good 2.5 hour play period. Something changed, something broke with this update and I really hope they can fix it.
    Sha'ria Wrathmane - Belora Wrathmane - Leora Wrathmane
    Former Head of Recruitment for Vokundein
  • SammyFable
    SammyFable
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why no both option? I have a high end gaming pc, obviously that is because I want beatiful graphics AND butter smooth FPS.
    Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Tick Tock Terrorist Tormentor
    Immortal Memer
    Gryphon Heart
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth FPS
    While high FPS is nice your eye really on picks up on 40 max. So if you have a rig that can run smooth at 4k and 60 fps that is going be the best option.

Not really. I play CSGO in tourneys and the ones with lesser than 120Hz monitors is extremely apparent and feels kinda odd. Anything below 75 FPS is a pretty big disadvantage for reaction based play. Eyes work in analogue and can't be measured in digital/quantised statistics like FPS/refresh rate.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I want to look at a beautiful static picture or play a videogame? Hard hitting questions.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stable framerate. Doesn't have to be high (I played Skyrim happily at ~40 fps), but relatively stable is important.

Of course, I do like "pretty"... I just have a less-strict judgement of what that is - I think ESO is quite pretty, as are any number of games I've played where the forums are full of "why isn't this game using <insert latest graphics tech>? It looks like a bad PS2 game!" /eyeroll

(I'm on PC, but I've never spent more than ~175 on a GPU. I'm still using my several-year-old R9-270X. Of course, part of that is because crypto-mining has made a mockery of GPU prices & supply.)