The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help me get gud with magplar

Hunharibo
Hunharibo
✭✭
I need you all to tell me how to play magplar guys. I cant make magplar work, although its my main, been first char since beta, has max cp, all nice equipment. I am slow af, cant really kite even with mist. I can go tanky with heavy armor but without a nice hot, all you can do is block and spam bol under heavy pressure and you cant go offensive, no window. Not to mention than in order to be that tanky you need to sacrifice offensive sets and even when you get some ult for smthing like bats its damage is often not that impressive. Sweeps are so easy to miss with, i dont even know when i saw all 4 of its hits hit the same target in 1 channel. Is there something that i need to "get" here that i am missing or what?
Thanks.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firstly wear light armour, you arnt gonna kill anyone except potatoes in heavy.
    use lightning staff/ s+b.
    your dmg comes from light armour passivs and possibly 1 offensive set, you will definitly need at least 1 defensive set, imo pirate skeleton is bis here.
    Run total dark on your defensive bar and use it to shut down burst from an attacking player this giving you a window to get off that bar.
    only really use sweeps when you have stunned the enemy and have your other dots running.
    ults are a preference again but imo shooting star is nice if you land the stun first for hitting huge burst.
    kiting can be achieved by animation cancelling mist form to give snare removal and major expedition
    Edited by Syiccal on November 19, 2018 6:48PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use that skill that makes your health go up and the other one that makes enemies die. I like to kill before they kill me.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunharibo wrote: »
    I need you all to tell me how to play magplar guys. I cant make magplar work, although its my main, been first char since beta, has max cp, all nice equipment. I am slow af, cant really kite even with mist. I can go tanky with heavy armor but without a nice hot, all you can do is block and spam bol under heavy pressure and you cant go offensive, no window. Not to mention than in order to be that tanky you need to sacrifice offensive sets and even when you get some ult for smthing like bats its damage is often not that impressive. Sweeps are so easy to miss with, i dont even know when i saw all 4 of its hits hit the same target in 1 channel. Is there something that i need to "get" here that i am missing or what?
    Thanks.

What are you calling nice equipment? I atleast need your gear layout for context. A gear problem is the easiest thing to fix... skill, that's another story.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Hunharibo
    Hunharibo
    ✭✭
    In my opinion gear is a big shuffle. You always adjust to new patches etc. I have tried everything along the timeline of this game, followed the meta patch to patch. I have tried everything everyone has tried, shackle, amber, lich, pariah, wizards, rattle, spinner whatever you name it - liiterally. I am not a complete noob, i am a seasoned average PVP-er, i have millions of unused AP. You adjust your gear to your playstyle.
    What I am asking specifically is how do you handle extreme, coordinated pressure from like 2-3 enemies and recover and do so in such a build that your damage in return is not insignificant.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunharibo wrote: »
    In my opinion gear is a big shuffle. You always adjust to new patches etc. I have tried everything along the timeline of this game, followed the meta patch to patch. I have tried everything everyone has tried, shackle, amber, lich, pariah, wizards, rattle, spinner whatever you name it - liiterally. I am not a complete noob, i am a seasoned average PVP-er, i have millions of unused AP. You adjust your gear to your playstyle.
    What I am asking specifically is how do you handle extreme, coordinated pressure from like 2-3 enemies and recover and do so in such a build that your damage in return is not insignificant.

you don't!! the only ppl you can 1vx is noobs. nobody is 1vxing players of equal skill.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar are extremely versatile.

My personal favorite setup is desert rose, bloodspawn, transmutation, overwhelming surge, skoria, or wizards riposte. Lightning staff, DW, SnB or resto work. Mix and match I would really suggest you slot desert rose and swap the rest as you see fit. Desert rose and mist form go together like white on rice...amazing.

When ur fighting, just stay close to a rock of LOS just in case. Once you find a set up you like, STICK WITH IT. Testing takes multiple hours before you fully grasp any changes to ur build.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    your dmg comes from light armour passivs and possibly 1 offensive set, you will definitly need at least 1 defensive set, imo pirate skeleton is bis here.
    Run total dark on your defensive bar and use it to shut down burst from an attacking player this giving you a window to get off that bar.
    only really use sweeps when you have stunned the enemy and have your other dots running.
    ults are a preference again but imo shooting star is nice if you land the stun first for hitting huge burst.
    kiting can be achieved by animation cancelling mist form to give snare removal and major expedition

Can Total Dark be placed on more than one enemy at once?
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on November 19, 2018 8:05PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can Total Dark be placed on more than one enemy at once? (Presumably, this is more of a PvE issue, but I thought I'd ask here anyway.)

yes it can
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can Total Dark be placed on more than one enemy at once? (Presumably, this is more of a PvE issue, but I thought I'd ask here anyway.)

yes it can

but you will grant all those targets cc immunity.

Just be mindful you arent casting it on a target your ally is trying to CC burst down.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

yes it can

but you will grant all those targets cc immunity.

Just be mindful you arent casting it on a target your ally is trying to CC burst down.

yea i onpy use it for defensive measures, reach is my go to cc
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was running DW / ice staff for some time and had the same problem. I am now running Lightning / resto. Lightning works out as good or better for damage. I run a vMA resto and Mutagen to get some healing over time into the class. Other measures include:

Infused Absorb Health enchant on destro
    Tri pots or lingering health pots
    Total Dark
    Resto ult (obviously)
    Steed mundus
    Clockwork Citrus Fillet
    Degeneration (hey, every little helps)

Set wise, I've gone with Pirate + Amber Plasm + A.N.Other. I still find stam sustain tight without tri-pots, so I'm torn about the lingering pots. My front bar set is another damage set, Spell Strategist or Spinner. All Protective jewelry.

I duelled a player who used Spinner with Transmutation back bar, Master lightning staff front bar and Shadowrend, which was strong in duels. Overwhelming Surge seems to be popular; it hits NBs in cloak. Bottom line, 2 light damage / sustain sets with Pirate + Protective jewelry and some HOT feels decent. I'm not accomplished enough to successfully 1vX very often on any class, but I'm happy I made the switch away from blocking and risk of Honor the Dead spamming. I use that skill far less now. You could argue block + burst heal would work better, if tankier, but I find magplar damage takes a nosedive in heavy. I play in CP.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good information here ... But personally I don't like TD ... The cc immunity it grants can hurt you ...

For me back bar self buffs and heals

Two mage guild ability
    Three Templar healing damage mitigation skills
    SnB

Front bar is offence lightening preferred
    Vamp bane and purifying light to open
    Toppling charge to gap close and stun
    Sweeps to damage and self heal
    Jesus beam to finish if they're not dead already

Sets...

Sloads, calurrians , knight slayer, wizards riposte, transmutation ,spell power cure ,warmaiden, innate axiom, amberplasm, shackle breaker and overwhelming surge are all good sets to mix n match together

Skoria , mighty chudan, pirates skelly, and slimecraw are good monster sets

My advice is start of with at least two defence one offence set and practice switching between bars ... As you get more confident with your ability, switch to another offence set eventually you should get to 3 offencive sets ... Carry multiple sets so in BGs you can switch it up if you need to be more tanky or more offencive

For ultimate I prefer undo from psijic skill line on my defense bar and comet on my offence but go what you fancy

I also prefer not to be a vampire

Edited by SugaComa on November 23, 2018 2:32AM