The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer Pet Survery: Damage Dealers

paulsimonps
paulsimonps
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I am curious to see how many players actually currently use the Sorcerers Pets, especially now in Murkmire. I have made 3 Polls, one for each role, please use the correct role for your character.

Healer Poll: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/443386/sorcerer-pet-survery-healers
Tank Poll: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/443385/sorcerer-pet-survery-tanks

Sorcerer Pet Survery: Damage Dealers 106 votes

I do not use Pets
28%
AzuryaCronopolykari-pekka.hamalaineneb17_ESOUPrimeIzarielOreyn_BearclawSomewhereTyrion87susmitdsTyavariYamiKurukuLadislaoKikkeeso_nyaMarcoPolo184Artim_XCamb0Sl1ceWrathOfInnosp00txRadagastThePink 30 votes
I use the Volatile Familiar
20%
ol050770b16_ESOAlsarothdaedemrwb17_ESOpieratsosTheDominionmeekmikopizzaowBladerunner1DeathlurkZReachHaloMizaelvalkyrie93LuditionsintetizzatorexclassgamingKhaleesi8688Strike_MaximusGreyssontwofacedMr_Hokusai 22 votes
I use the Unstable Clannfear
3%
SirAndyEvilKiwiItaciradaemondamian 4 votes
I use the Twilight Tormentor
0%
I use the Twilight Matriarch
7%
SolarikenIlluvatarrC0L0SSUSAcadianPaladinBretonMageKatlefiyaDosuulkstephano 8 votes
I use both Volatile Familiar and Twilight Tormentor
7%
preeviousLord-OttoSirMewserRebirthmentWildRaptorXMagicalLijaOdovacarSkellybob 8 votes
I use both Volatile Familiar and Twilight Matriarch
26%
Donnasnowheart_ESOLightspeedflashb14_ESOdeLioncourtphaneub17_ESOVahrokhfelinith66paulsimonpsSurreal88jwarren68CadaCosaphileunderx2jlmurra2firedrgnKyuremBlackdpencil1ccfeelingLady_Scorp72ColecovisionSleepyMuggsKingslayer513 28 votes
I use both Unstable Clannfear and Twilight Tormentor
0%
I use both Unstable Clannfear and Twilight Matriarch
5%
snakebittenSilverIce58TonyRockaroniAlexsaeQualantharmd3788 6 votes
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite that the Tormentor isn't much better than the Matriarch...
    Edited by SirMewser on October 29, 2018 3:33PM
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not use Pets
    never liked pet spec much. was a good excuse to drop the shrimp.
    was to unreliable and to slow for my taste. half the time i killed all the things before it got into melee range. very bad at positioning and keeping aggro (except for the oversized white chicken in summerset, that one was like glued to him. bug?) double/triple slotting sucked. i also didnt like the "theme" to much. would prefer summoning "real" combat pets like eagle, sabertooth and the likes. or well a scamp that actually looks like a scamp.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might switch to the healing matriarch, though, since I lost my shield, wich was my main survival tool.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use both Unstable Clannfear and Twilight Matriarch
    I would never use the tormentor, bc the Matriarch is much better, and a way more reliable heal than exchange and surge. And i also switch to the volatile familiar sometimes when doing harder content (like when dungeon dlcs drop, or when we get a new trial). Otherwise, i just use the clannfear for overland, and the Matriarch for dungeons/trials.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, looks like i'm the only guy left who's just running the Clannfear on their Pet Sorc!

I know, i know, i said i was going to retire my Sorc. But i made some rather drastic changes to the build and so far it looks like it's still playable, albeit a lot harder for the more challenging content.
    post-2-1445282250.gif
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Yeah, looks like i'm the only guy left who's just running the Clannfear on their Pet Sorc!

I know, i know, i said i was going to retire my Sorc. But i made some rather drastic changes to the build and so far it looks like it's still playable, albeit a lot harder for the more challenging content.
    post-2-1445282250.gif

You're not alone! I use the clannfear on both of my sorcs. I use it as a tank and quick heal.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do not use Pets
    As I said in the tank thread, I find the pets annoying. Both to use, and just to have around; I wish other players used them a lot less.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volatile Familiar is a necessity if you're serious about dps, but Matriarch vs Tormentor choice is actually set up well. You'll get a little more dps from Tormentor, but Matriarch provides a tremendous burst heal without losing too much dps. I currently prefer the utility of Matriarch, but I could see either option being viable, which is good design imo.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to use the Clannfear for its dual tanking and healing abilities, but it no longer holds any sort of aggro now, so I've switched to the Matriarch, which at least gives better damage.
    SirAndy wrote: »

post-2-1445282250.gif

Do you have a link to your build that I can have a look at? (Don't worry if you don't, I usually just blunder along until I get somewhere comfortable). I've moved points out of Bastion and switched to Hardened Ward, but I'm sure there's more I can do.
    Edited by BretonMage on October 29, 2018 5:53PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    Do you have a link to your build that I can have a look at? (Don't worry if you don't, I usually just blunder along until I get somewhere comfortable). I've moved points out of Bastion and switched to Hardened Ward, but I'm sure there's more I can do.
    @BretonMage
    I don't have a build sheet, but i did the same thing with Bastion and Hardened Ward. I use the Clannfear as my burst heal.

I'm running 5 light and 2 heavy (monster helmet and shoulders) and use Liquid Lightning, Blockade of Storms, Daedric Tomb, Boundless Storm, Power Surge and Elemental Rage as the ultimate.

Since i now have to cast shields much more frequently, i switched to Infernal Guardian as my monster set. It procs a lot and consistently ranks #5 in my combat report. I really like the fact that it targets the 3 furthest enemies, making it a lot easier to deal with adds while fighting a boss (or trash mobs).

For the armor/weapon sets, i run Netch's Touch and Spider Cultist, all Devines. Jewelry is spell damage and spell critical, Mundus is The Apprentice for additional Spell Damage.
    I run lighting staves front and back, one is Infused, the other Sharpened, with Spell Damage and Crushing Shock Damage enchants.

My (buffed) spell damage is over 4k+, crit sits just around 60% (a bit low for my liking), spell resistance is 16k, physical resistance is 14k. Magicka is 40k and health sits at 18k (both buffed).

I think that's pretty much it, but like i said, this is still work in progress ...
    type.gif

Edited by SirAndy on October 29, 2018 6:22PM
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks very much, @SirAndy ! It's given me a lot to look into. I've noticed you've really concentrated on spell damage. I had previously read that max magicka was the way to go but perhaps with nerf to shields there's less reason to concentrate on max magicka now. Something to chew on.... Thanks again! I'll be off before I derail the thread.
  • ScottMcPot
    ScottMcPot
    Soul Shriven
    I like the volatile familiar. It's free dps and you get passive bonus for having a pet slotted. With the way my build is set up the volatile familiar also helps get many mobs and adds concussed. I also use twilight matriarch in pvp for the burst heal and sending pets after people is kind of fun.
  • Perashim
    Perashim
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Volatile familiar, though I wish it had more of the scamp attacks and one of them would be the ability you could cast while it is out.
    Despair for the Living...
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirMewser wrote: »
    Despite that the Tormentor isn't much better than the Matriarch...

What about after murkimire changes?
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not use Pets
    Murkmire hasn't released for consoles?

My lightning mage doesn't use pets, period. It's not part of his character design. Nothing will make me suddenly pick up pets for him. Also, he's not really role-singular. He's a tank/dd.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also run the atro, maw and mad tinkerer, can have 5 pets up at once. So fun.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been running Familiar and Matriarch since they got active abilities. Loving the invulnerability in group content. I still think they should only take one bar slot and benefit from spell damage, but it's a playstyle I enjoy so I roll with it.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got rid of the shields altogether. 5 heavy brass fortress . 5 necro and maw monster. Ran the vet pledges hm last night only died once to mechanics. Its a start. Ibwas able to still do 23k dps on boss. I dont do trials but it works for me.

I heavy attack so the resource return from ha and heavy armor is great.

I might change to 5 light necro and run brass on rings weapons and see how i do.
  • Alsaroth
    Alsaroth
    ✭✭
    Volatile familiar pack a nice punch when facing several mobs. Sometimes I switch to tormentor when about to face a sing strong opponent.

I like the idea running with both (also have Maw of Infernal monster helmet set and atronach ulti.), but in the end I dropped the tormentor for Inner light. Don't want to have to many "double bar slots" skills.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use both pets but not both at the same time. I generally use one or the other if I am soloing dungeons. If I am in a group I go no pet And if I am questing in pve overland I use no pet..
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run 2 pets all the time unless special situation .

Easy rotation , great sustain and I can heal the allies , I got much more time to look around .

Damage is a bit low but it's acceptable .
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not use Pets
    I cant imagine why any competitive DPS would at this point if I am being honest. They simply arent strong enough to justify two bar slots, and there just isnt room.

Now if you are talking about soloing, dueling, healing, sure they have a place, but to me, DPS implies damage dealer in group content.

Only possible reason to run as a damage dealer is you want a simplified rotation and are fine with less damage. That is not me. They are a reasonable option for newer players, or those that simply dont have the dexterity for a dynamic rotation.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I cant imagine why any competitive DPS would at this point if I am being honest. They simply arent strong enough to justify two bar slots, and there just isnt room.

Now if you are talking about soloing, dueling, healing, sure they have a place, but to me, DPS implies damage dealer in group content.

Only possible reason to run as a damage dealer is you want a simplified rotation and are fine with less damage. That is not me. They are a reasonable option for newer players, or those that simply dont have the dexterity for a dynamic rotation.

You start from the wrong premise.

If you wanted to play competitive DPS you wouldn't play a sorc to begin with.

Once you accept the fact that - by still going for sorc - you are going to be a mediocre DPS at best, then pet vs pet-less is not hugely different.

I go for dual pet, because in my view of the class sorcs are both mages and summoneers. As mages, they are masters of AoE (scamp is excellent at that), as summoneers they... summon.
    Furthermore I have done all vet trials, all Craglorn HM trials, vCR + 1 and vAS + 2 with this setup and it has always served well. Going for hm vMoL too but Nerfmire killed the guild I was learning it with.
    Sadly the newer trials don't valorise AoE a lot, but in all the others it's always neat doing 120-140k DPS on AoE situations.

In vCR having matron makes it so easy to do portals, same on some vHoF encounters.

All of this while enjoying blue food health bonus and Hardened Ward increased shield.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not played my Sorc since Murkmire dropped. Besides NB being my fav class all along for both stam and mag, have avoided the sorc with the changes.
  • twofaced
    twofaced
    ✭✭✭
    Actually there is no reason to use pets except Volatile Familiar for good AOE and AOE stun, also Necropotence is nice universal set... I wish there was something more in pet mechanics. At the moment it's a compromise between loosing two bar slots and pros I described.
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered how much dps difference is there from using the tormentor over the heals from matriarch?
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered how much dps difference is there from using the tormentor over the heals from matriarch?

From 500 to 1k. That is... it's not worth losing the healing capability.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where's the option for "I've stopped playing my sorcerers for now"?
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the option for "I've stopped playing my sorcerers for now"?

AnotherHastyAmericanindianhorse-size_restricted.gif