The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[magsorc] Your shield's resistances and what you (don't) do about it.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »
    @Kova

Oh yeah. And Conversion got a 2% buff if you let it run the full 20 seconds. Silly me ignoring all the good stuff.

Conversion got more than a 2% buff.

It restores 6000 resources over the whole duration instead of 4780 instantly.

sound like the rest of the regen buffs other classes got going.

have you sorcs tried ice staff yet? I know you give up 8% single target dmg off fire, but you do get extra resists and the ability to block without giving up a spamable/ranged light attacks. Should let you choose a monster setup other than defense.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    @Kova

Oh yeah. And Conversion got a 2% buff if you let it run the full 20 seconds. Silly me ignoring all the good stuff.

have you sorcs tried ice staff yet? I know you give up 8% single target dmg off fire, but you do get extra resists and the ability to block without giving up a spamable/ranged light attacks. Should let you choose a monster setup other than defense.

I have. But since went back to flame. Blocking just doesn't synergise with shields and cannot be sustained. It CAN make you VERY tanky for a very short while, but leaves you robbed of mobility, and when broken by fear, its hard to have the resists and heals to recover from the hits you take.. Even tried it with matriarch so could block-cast heals. Can't be sustained so you have to move - and can't really move much without a snare-break(even with a block-cast streak). Imho it needs a strong, short-duration hot which can be cast from the same bar you're blocking from to work. (Vigor anyone?) and a decent, weaker, longer duration hot..

I prefer dodging and shields - keep that mobility up, and easier to sustain.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    @Kova

I have. But since went back to flame. Blocking just doesn't synergise with shields and cannot be sustained. It CAN make you VERY tanky for a very short while, but leaves you robbed of mobility, and when broken by fear, its hard to have the resists and heals to recover from the hits you take.. Even tried it with matriarch so could block-cast heals. Can't be sustained so you have to move - and can't really move much without a snare-break(even with a block-cast streak). Imho it needs a strong, short-duration hot which can be cast from the same bar you're blocking from to work. (Vigor anyone?) and a decent, weaker, longer duration hot..

I prefer dodging and shields - keep that mobility up, and easier to sustain.

Thanks for the response! Really insightful feedback.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    You know the impen trait sorcs loved to ignore? Slot it, you are going to need it, I guarantee it.
    And all light armor specs should be comfortable getting 20-21k resists with/without shields.

Already every sorc has been running Impen or Well-Fitted. Get your facts straight.
    Sorc hater spotted. Just another useless person who's not interested in balancing, but rather twisting reality just to fit biased anti-sorc agenda.

ROFL...another tilted shield stacking sorc liar spotted not interested in balance but rather keeping god like status intact.

Edited by Sureshawt on October 30, 2018 9:46PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sureshawt wrote: »
    You know the impen trait sorcs loved to ignore? Slot it, you are going to need it, I guarantee it.
    And all light armor specs should be comfortable getting 20-21k resists with/without shields.

Already every sorc has been running Impen or Well-Fitted. Get your facts straight.
    Sorc hater spotted. Just another useless person who's not interested in balancing, but rather twisting reality just to fit biased anti-sorc agenda.

ROFL...another tilted shield stacking sorc liar spotted not interested in balance but rather keeping god like status intact.

Sure. A little-known fact is that whenever a sorc logs in, a randomly chosen enemy base explodes.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think mag sorc's are god like then the issue is not the class but your ability as a player.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kova

its a nerf as for me. 2400 magicka over 20 sec is a joke in battlegrounds.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kova

its a nerf as for me. 2400 magicka over 20 sec is a joke in battlegrounds.

I´d be inclined to agree - but then nonCP and BGs are just so absolutely borked with how infused enchants work right now that i´m hesitant to comment on that at all.

Prepatch i very rarely died on my sorc in BGs. I don´t see why it shold be different this patch once zos has sorted out enchants.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running zero crit resist in no-CP. My reward is getting hit by juicy >10k incaps and spectral bows now and then.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    I'm running zero crit resist in no-CP. My reward is getting hit by juicy >10k incaps and spectral bows now and then.

I wouldn't do that nowadays.. I'm running full-impen and transmutation (in CP - with a bunch of CP spent on crit resists too)
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Aldul
    Aldul
    ✭✭✭
    Aldul wrote: »
    I'm on
    Deep_01 wrote: »
    Why use shields if you stack resistences? Stack heals if stacking resistances. To use shields, you'd stack regen.

I'm on 35k risitances buffed, 3100 regen buffed (without potion), 30,5k health without emp buff and 16-20k shields
    everything but bleed is mitigated. that one only by 2.1k crit res a little

burst heal and HoT as well as purge / manouver avaible with 950k stam regen and a pool of 14k stam

*thats why"

But how is your damage running that @Aldul ?

No damage intended. The CC's and the pure tank trolling makes my group win some fights, indeed. A mobile tank turns the attention, especially when it's a sorc. I can blockcast the healpet for some time while the DPS's do their jobs.
    I feel like the supporting role of a sorc is somewhat as natural as our DPS genetics (which have been nerfed close to death, unfortunately)
    - - PVP -only, sorc-only - AD Veteran - -
    - CULTURES Social Guild (EU) -
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't do that nowadays.. I'm running full-impen and transmutation (in CP - with a bunch of CP spent on crit resists too)

I agree that it's a badf idea in CP PvP.

But crit damage and crit chance is much lower in no-CP. Considering that impen works multiplicatively with other forms of mitigation, I decided to go for more armor resistance instead. It works quite well, unless I'm unlucky or run into someone with high crit chances.

no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree that it's a badf idea in CP PvP.

But crit damage and crit chance is much lower in no-CP. Considering that impen works multiplicatively with other forms of mitigation, I decided to go for more armor resistance instead. It works quite well, unless I'm unlucky or run into someone with high crit chances.

Ahh, gotcha.. I guess if there is enough up-front mitigation, then the crit-multiplier is effectively multiplying a smaller amount to start with, so reduced somewhat anyway.. you're choosing to take a bit of a gamble to be stronger vs most but have a particular (but not completely unmitigated) weakness. I can get behind that.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. It's a bit tedious to do the math since it depends on the enemies critical chance and multiplier. It's, however, a sure thing that it wouldn't work well in CP PvP.

I'm running Bloodspawn, Pariah, Seducer (511 light), 7 x well-fitted, Atronach mundus and 3x arcane recovery jewellery. I tried out a lot to trade some stats for stronger offense, but I felt it's not worth it in this games current open world PvP.

I'm even tempted to free up a bar slot for Harness Magica, since my number one cause of death is still getting stuck on my non-shield bar.
    Edited by Bergzorn on October 31, 2018 12:22PM
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

• Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dude, have put a shield on each bar years ago for that very reason.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So did I, but I need that slot for Boundless Storm now.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So did I, but I need that slot for Boundless Storm now.

Same here.. For years I've had harness and hardened in the same spot on each bar.. No space now though!
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭

I've always run impen
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    Mihael wrote: »
    if you weren't running impen on sorc already you were zerging

yeah definitly, a good sorc barely ever uses his shields, doesnt bother keeping them up and doesnt know when he is about to get ultidumped / bursted, hence the impen armor trait choice over something like well-fitted or infused :trollface:

I have always run 5 pc impen on my mag sorc. and I use my shields only when I need them...... also when I'm running solo I tend to run 5pc heavy.
    Sha'ria Wrathmane - Belora Wrathmane - Leora Wrathmane
    Former Head of Recruitment for Vokundein
  • Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭

If you think mag sorc's are god like then the issue is not the class but your ability as a player.

You're right. I should have changed it from 'keeping' to 'restore' as after this patch they are finally pretty well balanced.

Edited by Sureshawt on October 31, 2018 3:17PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much of this thread is irrelevant for no CP BGs unfortunately.

Why build for:
    Health, resistance, max stats, Regen and damage (with the worst mitigation tools in game)

When you can just build for:
    Weapon damage

Stam mitigation is passive (no slot loss, dodge makes building for resistance silly, health has no impact on Stam mitigation...)

I'm just gonna keep rolling Stam as I see absolutely 0 reason to run mag (especially sorc)
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why build for:
    Health, resistance, max stats, Regen and damage (with the worst mitigation tools in game)

Weapon damage

Stam mitigation is passive (no slot loss, dodge makes building for resistance silly, health has no impact on Stam mitigation...)

I'm just gonna keep rolling Stam as I see absolutely 0 reason to run mag (especially sorc)

That’s the sad truth.

Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why build for:

Weapon damage

you are right but stamina builds arent fun for me. i have stam nb, stam dk, stam sorc, stamden and stamplar. i can do few runs by one of them just for diversity of my game experience but i find them boring.
  • Aldul
    Aldul
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like sorcs now have a different role. 1vX became harder, resistances became relevant. Other than that, my strongest difficulty might be leaving the overload bar behind, which was granting us extra slots for: - surge - lightningform - deadric mines...

tanking pvp does not seem as viable as I thought, but, still, it's a nice option to have, using sets that grant resistance and sustain...
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like sorcs now have a different role. 1vX became harder, resistances became relevant. Other than that, my strongest difficulty might be leaving the overload bar behind, which was granting us extra slots for: - surge - lightningform - deadric mines...

tanking pvp does not seem as viable as I thought, but, still, it's a nice option to have, using sets that grant resistance and sustain...

@Aldul

It’s just not an interesting play style to me.

Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
  • Aldul
    Aldul
    ✭✭✭

@Aldul

It's more fun than I thought.
    We should hook up and do some duels. :-> Where do you hang out these days, guildwise?
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aldul

It's more fun than I thought.
    We should hook up and do some duels. :-> Where do you hang out these days, guildwise?

I’m in three PvE guilds, one trade guild, and one placeholder guild. I’m mostly running solo these days because my playing time is scarce and unreliable at best. Playing solo comes with no responsibility whatsoever and this suits me best.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I gotta agree. Shield stacking has been in the game since day one, and really, really big shields appeared when they removed soft caps on stats, way, way back. People have been killing sorcs just fine for years. On top of that, the sorc combo and playstyle has been static for all that time - really easy to counter. They can kill you quickly if you are not paying attention, but mostly they are a zerg class. Stamina leverages the sorc kit much better imo.
  • smarmyguy
    smarmyguy
    Check my build out. Done alot of testing on its really tanky, good sustain, hits quite hard.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=97524

Last patch i was running spinner lich infernal g willp divines / infused.

Skill selection is very important. I always ran inner light but i think bound armaments is better this patch as i get crit buff from pots anyways so you get extra resistances but you lose stealth detection but you just curse stealthers. I don't think there is room on your bar for force pulse and rune cage and rune cage has been nerfed anyways so i think destro stun and spammable is better this patch. Dark conversion seems to be the key. I never ran it before as i never had sustain issues but now I am mainly using it to heal with. The extra stam recov from blood spawn helps with this.And yes I am trying to get a masters inferno atm.
    PC Steve N Jake (Xbox eu)
    Mag Sorc: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=97524
    Mag DK

@smarmyguy (PC EU)
    Mag DK
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    smarmyguy wrote: »
    Check my build out. Done alot of testing on its really tanky, good sustain, hits quite hard.

Last patch i was running spinner lich infernal g willp divines / infused.

Skill selection is very important. I always ran inner light but i think bound armaments is better this patch as i get crit buff from pots anyways so you get extra resistances but you lose stealth detection but you just curse stealthers. I don't think there is room on your bar for force pulse and rune cage and rune cage has been nerfed anyways so i think destro stun and spammable is better this patch. Dark conversion seems to be the key. I never ran it before as i never had sustain issues but now I am mainly using it to heal with. The extra stam recov from blood spawn helps with this.And yes I am trying to get a masters inferno atm.

Dude, seriously - stop spammnig your average build in every single sorc thread
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Aldul
    Aldul
    ✭✭✭
    smarmyguy wrote: »

very poor mag base regen. and I don't think armor master is too viable at all. even with decent killability having that spell dmg