The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[magsorc] Your shield's resistances and what you (don't) do about it.

Aldul
Aldul
✭✭✭
So, I hear shields can now be critted, have resistances and are considered "nerfed". What are you doing about it? Any concerns, measures to take / make. Hate is or love it?
- - PVP -only, sorc-only - AD Veteran - -
- CULTURES Social Guild (EU) -
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know the impen trait sorcs loved to ignore? Slot it, you are going to need it, I guarantee it.
    And all light armor specs should be comfortable getting 20-21k resists with/without shields.

Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3x Protective, Impreg, and figure out how to somehow slot Boundless after losing your third skill bar. Or swap to heavy.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Gibus043
    Gibus043
    I'll make these changes to my build
    * 7 impenetrable (instead of 3 infused 4 impenetrable)
    * If it's not enough, slot Major Resolve/Ward (from boundless storm or mighty chudan)

I'll leave every other set as it is. In no-CP/Battlegrounds it's hard to reach 50% of your health with a single shield
    Edited by Gibus043 on October 22, 2018 3:54PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    You know the impen trait sorcs loved to ignore? Slot it, you are going to need it, I guarantee it.
    And all light armor specs should be comfortable getting 20-21k resists with/without shields.

Already every sorc has been running Impen or Well-Fitted. Get your facts straight.
    It's 10k physical resist in light armor. +5k for major resists buff. How do you obtain the other 5k "comfortably"? By donning Fortified Brass, obliterating the needed sustain from Shacklebreaker?
    Sorc hater spotted. Just another useless person who's not interested in balancing, but rather twisting reality just to fit biased anti-sorc agenda.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Armor Master Set
    (2 items) Adds 1206 Max Health
    (3 items) Adds 2975 Physical Resistance
    (4 items) Adds 2975 Spell Resistance
    (5 items) While you have an Armor Ability slotted, your Max Health is increased by 5%. When you use an Armor Ability, your Physical and Spell Resistance is increased by 5332 for 10 seconds.

Mag Bone Pirate body (all impen) + Armor Master resto/jewelry + Willpower destro

I'll probably run Skoria to make up for the loss in dmg--I find that Entropy and poison or infused flame glyph are enough to proc it consistently.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

Already every sorc has been running Impen or Well-Fitted. Get your facts straight.
    It's 10k physical resist in light armor. +5k for major resists buff. How do you obtain the other 5k "comfortably"? By donning Fortified Brass, obliterating the needed sustain from Shacklebreaker?
    Sorc hater spotted. Just another useless person who's not interested in balancing, but rather twisting reality just to fit biased anti-sorc agenda.

No more 5+ well fitted yolo sorcs while everybody else has to be use impen. High time, this happened.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

No more 5+ well fitted yolo sorcs while everybody else has to be use impen. High time, this happened.

Oh, god, just stop! Only 1vX'ers used Well-Fitted. Why?
    BECAUSE DODGE WORKED BETTER THAN SHIELDS FOR THEM!!!
    Educate yourself before post nonsense, please.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Armor Master Set
    (5 items) While you have an Armor Ability slotted, your Max Health is increased by 5%. When you use an Armor Ability, your Physical and Spell Resistance is increased by 5332 for 10 seconds.

Mag Bone Pirate body (all impen) + Armor Master resto/jewelry + Willpower destro

I'll probably run Skoria to make up for the loss in dmg--I find that Entropy and poison or infused flame glyph are enough to proc it consistently.

Nice! I like how you think!
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ender1310 wrote: »
    Armor Master Set

There is a Mag bone pirate?
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I slot it. Is not really as effective as you lead on. The low cost of repairs is nice though.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

Oh, god, just stop! Only 1vX'ers used Well-Fitted. Why?
    BECAUSE DODGE WORKED BETTER THAN SHIELDS FOR THEM!!!
    Educate yourself before post nonsense, please.

I use 7 well-fitted. Well, I still do with Impreg Armor.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ender1310 wrote: »
    Armor Master Set

Just to be clear, I got the idea from Crescent Jayren on YT. This set is going to be so good on tankier shield-stacking builds.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armor Master Set

Armor Master is nice but I almost feel like you might as well slot Plague Doctor. The additional HP cushion will help more than the resists plus with Bright Throat you can get really really nice Mag Recovery
    Armor Master Set

Someone else mentioned this but you might want to try the following:

Bright Throat's Boast (Use Dubious Camoran Throne for Stam Regen + Stam Pool) + Wizards Riposte (3 Infused Prismatic, 4 Impen) + Bloodspawn (for more stam recovery) & Resistances (you want the ultimate regen too, you'll need the extra ultimate to keep the burst damage going)

For CP points - You don't need Bastion anymore, as it's worthless, so you can throw a ton of points into Critical Resist there, then you can also start putting points into Light Armor mastery - you can unlock Unchained & Reinforced, Unchained will be nice if you're using the new Dark Deal - break free and cast Dark Exchange while you're immune to further stuns etc.

The reason I'm suggesting Wizard's is because with shields taking critical damage now, it should have really nice uptime and 15% damage reduction + 129 Mag Recovery + 1200 health + 129 Spell Damage > Armor Resist + 5% HP. At least in my opinion.

IDK - lemme know what you think - I'll still probably just run Elegance + Bright Throat w/ Dubious + Valkyn Skoria & throw some HP enchants on my gear. So I can still dodge roll - ill be dropping Alteration Mastery even though I love it, and with new Overload changes I'll prolly run - Curse + Degeneration + Reach + OL LA + Fury + Streak Combo

Front Bar - Streak - Reach - Hardened - Fury - Radiant - Overload
    Back Bar - Curse - Degeneration - Healing Ward - Harness Magicka - Surge - Meteor (I'll have more mag Recovery on backbar with Meteor + Degeneration and some additional Max Mag due to the 4% increase)
    Edited by MalagenR on October 22, 2018 6:46PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my sorcs ran rull impen already

Biggest difference? Primarily focused on healing, damage second.

Panacea + EG + Ally Ward + Rapid Regen. Damage secondary.

But soon I'll have to do PvE stuff and I'll want those accomplishments on my sorc.... So he'll become your standard dps.

Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you don't need fort brass to reach 21k resists.

- Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5HA 2LA

Shacklebreaker, Blood Spawn, Bright-Throat (vampire food should proc it - if not witchmothers)

Ele drain and front-bar psijic ult for minor prot, backbar overload (sustain morph). Then the usual combo.

I'll probably switch between 5HA 2LA and 5 light 2 heavy until I figure out what I like best.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcs can now run Bloodspawn. Stamina Recovery, 6k Resistances and Ult Gen. What else? The best defensive/offensive solo set in the game for PvP IMO.

Sorcs have the "Magicka Bone Pirate" now. That's your damage and your sustain set right there. Could also go with Shackle along with it.

Slot Boundless Storm.

Or go Heavy like everyone else.

Just some things off the top of my head. All it takes is some theorycrafting.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    Armor Master Set

Armor Master is nice but I almost feel like you might as well slot Plague Doctor. The additional HP cushion will help more than the resists plus with Bright Throat you can get really really nice Mag Recovery
    Armor Master Set

Someone else mentioned this but you might want to try the following:

Bright Throat's Boast (Use Dubious Camoran Throne for Stam Regen + Stam Pool) + Wizards Riposte (3 Infused Prismatic, 4 Impen) + Bloodspawn (for more stam recovery) & Resistances (you want the ultimate regen too, you'll need the extra ultimate to keep the burst damage going)

For CP points - You don't need Bastion anymore, as it's worthless, so you can throw a ton of points into Critical Resist there, then you can also start putting points into Light Armor mastery - you can unlock Unchained & Reinforced, Unchained will be nice if you're using the new Dark Deal - break free and cast Dark Exchange while you're immune to further stuns etc.

The reason I'm suggesting Wizard's is because with shields taking critical damage now, it should have really nice uptime and 15% damage reduction + 129 Mag Recovery + 1200 health + 129 Spell Damage > Armor Resist + 5% HP. At least in my opinion.

IDK - lemme know what you think - I'll still probably just run Elegance + Bright Throat w/ Dubious + Valkyn Skoria & throw some HP enchants on my gear. So I can still dodge roll - ill be dropping Alteration Mastery even though I love it, and with new Overload changes I'll prolly run - Curse + Degeneration + Reach + OL LA + Fury + Streak Combo

Front Bar - Streak - Reach - Hardened - Fury - Radiant - Overload
    Back Bar - Curse - Degeneration - Healing Ward - Harness Magicka - Surge - Meteor (I'll have more mag Recovery on backbar with Meteor + Degeneration and some additional Max Mag due to the 4% increase)
    You might be right that Wizard's Riposte is a better magsorc set, especially for solo play--I just like the fact that Armor Master can be single-barred (so I can use the perfected AS destro or Master's) and also won't be affected by whether there are other sources of Minor Maim being provided.

I'm not sure if Dubious is really worth it for the stam sustain though. I haven't really done the math but is it really better go to this route than, say, Amberplasm and tristat food? o.o
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two builds I am looking at right now.

The first relies on my current bar setup for burst damage with the sets providing sustain a resistances. It also keeps me in light armor.
    5 Piece Pariah on jewelry and two large body pieces(Shields will get stronger as your health gets lower.)
    5 Piece Bright Throat for sustain and max mag.
    2 Piece Bloodspawn

The Second setup is an odd one I want to try, that removes most of the reflectable damage a sorc has and removes the burst for sustained pressure (No Curse, and no frags). Still in light armor with 2 heavy. But with all tri-stat glyphs. Get most of my resists from Bloodspawn and keeping Boundless up. Tri-Stat for health.
    5x Netch
    5x Innate Axiom
    2x Bloodspawn
    Dual Swords, and restro back bar. Intend to use Bloodcraze for the dot, heal and enchant proc (with lightning enchant and damage enchant).
    Also intend to use boundless on the front bar to keep the buff uptime going.
    And the key to the build will be using Mages Wrath as the spammable rather than only using it for execute. With Axiom and Netch, Wrath's initial hit is going to be strong, and it is unreflectable.
    Will use Overload for the ultimate.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

The first relies on my current bar setup for burst damage with the sets providing sustain a resistances. It also keeps me in light armor.
    5 Piece Pariah on jewelry and two large body pieces(Shields will get stronger as your health gets lower.)
    2 Piece Bloodspawn

The Second setup is an odd one I want to try, that removes most of the reflectable damage a sorc has and removes the burst for sustained pressure (No Curse, and no frags). Still in light armor with 2 heavy. But with all tri-stat glyphs. Get most of my resists from Bloodspawn and keeping Boundless up. Tri-Stat for health.
    5x Netch
    5x Innate Axiom
    2x Bloodspawn
    Dual Swords, and restro back bar. Intend to use Bloodcraze for the dot, heal and enchant proc (with lightning enchant and damage enchant).
    And the key to the build will be using Mages Wrath as the spammable rather than only using it for execute. With Axiom and Netch, Wrath's initial hit is going to be strong, and it is unreflectable.

gotta run Curse, it can't be reflected and you'll need it for consistent burst - what's your Hard CC? Cage?
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    jaws343 wrote: »

2 Piece Bloodspawn

5x Netch
    5x Innate Axiom
    2x Bloodspawn

gotta run Curse, it can't be reflected and you'll need it for consistent burst - what's your Hard CC? Cage?

Yeah, sticking with cage even though it'll be very unreliable. May have room to back bar curse. But it will have a lower tooltip since Netch does not effect it.
  • Ishtharo
    Ishtharo
    ✭✭✭

Your bias has been noted.

My light armor Templar reached resist cap in LA with a spell damage close to 2k. It's not hard if you feel like thinking about it. These sorc changes are unfortunate, and most I talked to about it say it's fundamentally changing how the class is played. I think some of the changes are good, and others not so much. But most sorcs I talked to weren't running Impen, and why would you if you were good at the shield stack meta? If they never reached your health, Impen was a wasted trait.

I don't think he's a sorc hater, just someone trying to give advice. Your violent reaction says more about you than him.

I'f I were to play a sorc now, which I intend to do with my next character, I'm thinking of running Bright-throat, Shackle breaker and 1Pirate/1Lord Warden with infused damage jewelry. Thats plenty of resist, damage and sustain.

At the end of the day, your class wasn't gutted, but it did receive some significant "adjustments", I feel for you and my Templar class (we have been getting "adjusted" for some time, and only recently stopped, thank goodness).

Tsarra Venus Sylphyra - Stamplar PvP Bosmer Harrier
    VenusFállen - Magden PvP Nord Healer
    VenusFallen - Stamcro PvP Nord Brawler
    VenusFallèn - MagBlade PvP Dark Elf Ganker
    VeñusFallen - StamSorc PvP Bosmer Harrier
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishtharo wrote: »

Your bias has been noted.

My light armor Templar reached resist cap in LA with a spell damage close to 2k. It's not hard if you feel like thinking about it. These sorc changes are unfortunate, and most I talked to about it say it's fundamentally changing how the class is played. I think some of the changes are good, and others not so much. But most sorcs I talked to weren't running Impen, and why would you if you were good at the shield stack meta? If they never reached your health, Impen was a wasted trait.

I don't think he's a sorc hater, just someone trying to give advice. Your violent reaction says more about you than him.

I'f I were to play a sorc now, which I intend to do with my next character, I'm thinking of running Bright-throat, Shackle breaker and 1Pirate/1Lord Warden with infused damage jewelry. Thats plenty of resist, damage and sustain.

At the end of the day, your class wasn't gutted, but it did receive some significant "adjustments", I feel for you and my Templar class (we have been getting "adjusted" for some time, and only recently stopped, thank goodness).

You don't even need pirate/chudan if you don't want to give up a dmg mon set.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you weren't running impen on sorc already you were zerging
  • damtotb16_ESO
    damtotb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

As for myself I love sorcerers and this mag dk says halo :)
  • Aldul
    Aldul
    ✭✭✭
    Armor Master Set

I prefer the Fotified BRass over that:
    (4 items) Adds 2975 Spell Resistance.
    (5 items) Adds 5170 Physical Resistance and 5170 Spell Resistance.
  • Aldul
    Aldul
    ✭✭✭
    Mihael wrote: »

I wasn't interested in the crit resistances. Some Impenetrable gear is a must, I agree. (the "nerf" part to shields) but the spell and physical (that's actually a buff to the shields. they had 0 prior). Actually, I just had a couple of duels against light armor users that made me think I'm back on the level I started off from. I was just curious what you guys do and don't. For example: I do slot 2x Icestaff destro/destro. I still do streak. If I swappen destro/resto, the back bar would be defending.

Well, well, let's see what ROLE the actual CLASS is going to fulful in good group. Stam Sorc Negate-Bot, Hybrid-Sorc CC monstosity. Now, that I have it, I can think of a few dedicated ballgroup roles other than high-reg-purge-bots. (those too, 4 sure)

anyhow. I'm intoxicated. gn.

• Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=84447

This was sorta the setup i was working on before the patch; but all the other Sorcs were telling me it wouldn't work *grin*.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Tell that to Malcolm.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Aldul
    Aldul
    ✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

Tell that to Malcolm.

yeah. I'll tell that to Dr. Watson. flawed deduction xD