The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Convince me to upgrade to PS4 pro

Il3rotherhood
Il3rotherhood
✭✭✭
Hello,

So i'm seeing the black friday and cyber monday coming soon and lately I have this idea that I can't seem to get out of my head to change my TV for a brand new 4K ultra hd TV with HDR etc etc (I currently have a 8 years old 32in 720p tv lol) and in the meantime, I dream of upgrading to a ps4 pro to fully appreciate my new TV.

Thing is, I'm broke :D so it's kinda a big thing for me. So I need help from people who did something similar to what I think of doing to convince me about this. I mainly play ESO on my playstation. I heard it is looking amazing on the ps4 pro, but what about other things apart graphics? How is the game running better, etc ?

Can't wait to hear from you guys :)
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inquiring Nightblades want to know!!!!
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a PS4 pro and 2 PS4.

The main issue I see, and an issue I don't see PS4 players talk about on the forums a lot, is the fan noise. My God of War Edition PS4 Pro does have a little fan noise, but you have to have your ear right next to it to even hear it. The latest models that are out seem to not have this issue. However, it is still a lottery as to whether or not you get a loud noise maker. Keep your receipt for this just in case.

While I do not have a TV that makes use of all of the features of PS4 Pro, TV is a Bravia Sony, one of the things I saw specially with ESO is more stable frame rate.

I stood at the edge of a keep in Cyrodiil defending a Fort Ash, with 30 blue defenders and waited for an army of yellows to show up. As the yellows where marching quickly toward the keep while I saw some of my frames drop, it was not nearly as fast or drastic as I typically saw on my PS4. While I have Crashed once or twice, I crashed way way more frequently on my OG PS4.

As for TV enhancements and HDR, someone else can step in to answer this. Though I do use boost mode, my TV is not 100% compatible with HDR.
  • Il3rotherhood
    Il3rotherhood
    ✭✭✭

The main issue I see, and an issue I don't see PS4 players talk about on the forums a lot, is the fan noise. My God of War Edition PS4 Pro does have a little fan noise, but you have to have your ear right next to it to even hear it. The latest models that are out seem to not have this issue. However, it is still a lottery as to whether or not you get a loud noise maker. Keep your receipt for this just in case.

While I do not have a TV that makes use of all of the features of PS4 Pro, TV is a Bravia Sony, one of the things I saw specially with ESO is more stable frame rate.

I stood at the edge of a keep in Cyrodiil defending a Fort Ash, with 30 blue defenders and waited for an army of yellows to show up. As the yellows where marching quickly toward the keep while I saw some of my frames drop, it was not nearly as fast or drastic as I typically saw on my PS4. While I have Crashed once or twice, I crashed way way more frequently on my OG PS4.

As for TV enhancements and HDR, someone else can step in to answer this. Though I do use boost mode, my TV is not 100% compatible with HDR.

Wow that is something I love to hear !! Pvp performance upgrade :D i'm getting more hyped the more I think of it
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that is something I love to hear !! Pvp performance upgrade :D i'm getting more hyped the more I think of it

You still get lag spikes, and occasionally some desync. But, in my opinion, the performance compared to playing 2 years on OG PS4 in PvP, I could tell the Pro keeps it noticeably more stable when huge fights break out.

I also run Ethernet into my PS4, I do not use Wifi.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed very little change between PS4 and Pro apart from minor graphical enhancements.
    Game still runs like a snail thru molasses when in large scale PvP battles, same as always. Still crashes periodically, hell I've had problems with just starting up the system sometimes because it won't register the remote is on that I've had to manually reset the console just to get it to register the remote is in fact on.

Not worth it unless you want a slightly prettier picture. Only reason I bothered at all was because my old PS4 crapped out on me so I traded it in for a Pro.
    Argonian forever
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed very little change between PS4 and Pro apart from minor graphical enhancements.
    Game still runs like a snail thru molasses when in large scale PvP battles, same as always. Still crashes periodically, hell I've had problems with just starting up the system sometimes because it won't register the remote is on that I've had to manually reset the console just to get it to register the remote is in fact on.

Not worth it unless you want a slightly prettier picture. Only reason I bothered at all was because my old PS4 crapped out on me so I traded it in for a Pro.

I agree with this.
    Was tired of lag, and I heard the ps4 pro would drastically help with this.

There is slight improvement. And by slight, I mean you'll start lagging with 50 or more players where before it might have been 35/40 players slowing you down.

It is pretty though. Just don't expect a dramatic improvement in performance.
    (And yes, I have the fastest Internet I could buy with everything wired...not a wi-fi connection.) Completely up to you if you want to upgrade. Do it for other games as well, don't do it for ESO alone. Not worth it, in my opinion.
    Edited by Kel on October 16, 2018 10:53PM
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if money is tight, prioritise

From what you say you'd benefit regardless from a new TV so make that the priority

if you can't spring for the Pro as well then consider a SSD for your existing PS4 to give it a boost.

If you don't get it all then there is always another sale coming up.
    EU PS4
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In honesty, if money is tight, a new console should not be on the purchase list at all. Remember when there was just one version of a console per generation? I do. The upgrades are mostly marketing gimmicks to make you believe you need the next new shiny. Wait until real next gen machines.
  • Il3rotherhood
    Il3rotherhood
    ✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »

I agree with this.
    Was tired of lag, and I heard the ps4 pro would drastically help with this.

There is slight improvement. And by slight, I mean you'll start lagging with 50 or more players where before it might have been 35/40 players slowing you down.

It is pretty though. Just don't expect a dramatic improvement in performance.
    (And yes, I have the fastest Internet I could buy with everything wired...not a wi-fi connection.) Completely up to you if you want to upgrade. Do it for other games as well, don't do it for ESO alone. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Okay, so I get it would mostly be an improvement in overall beauty of the game, not so much on performance for lets say large scale pvp battles. Thank you for your input :)

• Il3rotherhood
    Il3rotherhood
    ✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    In honesty, if money is tight, a new console should not be on the purchase list at all. Remember when there was just one version of a console per generation? I do. The upgrades are mostly marketing gimmicks to make you believe you need the next new shiny. Wait until real next gen machines.

Yeah when I said I was broke I meant "I'm a broke student", so don't worry about me guys it's not like I can't pay bills or something :) but I understand what you mean. Maybe just the TV will be su h an increase by itself that I won't really bither with the new console :p
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join the big boys and get a pc
  • Il3rotherhood
    Il3rotherhood
    ✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »

I knew this would come hahah but unfortunately no, I'm a console guy and already have an expansive notebook for university work:)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

agree.gif
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy cow, you're a student and you play eso - when do you ever gave time to sleep :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I've seen the "big boys" that play PC and I prefer my waist line thank you very much.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did it a couple of months ago and honestly... I still lag out, its still awful in PVP, still clunky when people are around.

Didnt change much at all :/
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait til PS5 or whatever they plan to call next year.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont bother
    Get a pc/or upgrade and get access to better quality mmo's rather than get stuck with this.

Eso on the pro improves user interface a little, but apart from that runs pretty bad so if eso is your main/only game, its not worth it.

Other games though, the pro runs really good and is 'worth' the improvement
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    PS4? lol'd.
  • jhall03
    jhall03
    ✭✭✭
    The pro will give you some all around improvements. Cyrodiil is slightly less laggy. An SSD probably helps the game the most with much improved load times. Best thing to do is get a pro and SSD.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the 4k aspect is cool - but the single best thing about the PRO is the enhanced processor. Makes all games run 10x better than previously.

I won't lie though, when I play ESO I HAVE to turn 4k graphics OFF in the settings because if not the console fan screams. This also happens in the Division and a select other few games - but is more often than not, not an issue.

Since I don't play PVP the game is buttery smooth. When I can stomach hearing the fan, I do turn the graphics on for the sheer beauty of it. My house is quiet though so the fan is a downside imo - strange when considering somebody above said the opposite.
    Edited by lagrue on October 17, 2018 3:31AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might think of it in terms of a needed upgrade rather than just a luxury, depending on your current console. PS4 has been out for five years now. If you, like me, bought the console on or near its release (~Black Friday 2013), your system is a half-decade old. I'm starting to see friends whose systems have bottomed out and need replacing. It's probably not long before mine will, too. If you're going to end up replacing your system in the next year or so, anyway, you might as well do it when you can snag a good deal.
    Edited by weedgenius on October 17, 2018 3:28AM
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Withg PS5 hiding in the wings why would you want a new 4 - with probably only a years shelf life?
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Zavijah
    Zavijah
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing of interest that I want to know is if you are broke, what exactly was it that were prepared to do to afford this?

Cornerwork?
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    Withg PS5 hiding in the wings why would you want a new 4 - with probably only a years shelf life?
    Ineed, PS5 is rumored to arrive in one year from now (late 2019).
    I will save my money for this.
    I played on PC for a long time and then migrated my account to PS4.
    On PS4 it plays much more comfortable in my cosy chair and on the big TV in the living room.
    Moreover, without addons all players have to play fair and square.
    So join the cool boys and play on PS4! ;)

Edited by BalticBlues on October 17, 2018 6:58AM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PRO looks better and runs smoother. I figure it I am going to have a nice TV then I might as well get the most out of it I can. Just read the forums where they broke HDR on consoles and how unhappy everyone was until they changed it back finally.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/432889/hdr-broke-on-xbox-since-wolfhunter-edit-patch-coming-early-october#latest

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439115/ps4-1-40-made-hdr-over-saturated-again/p1

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439190/hdr#latest

Doesn't make since to have a 4k TV and not take ever advantage of it.

As far as fan noise others have spoken of, I have personally never heard mine but then again I play with music in the background. So I am not to judge on that part.