The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should earning Grand Overlord allow you to swap factions?

EvilAutoTech
EvilAutoTech
✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to see an opportunity to swap factions without there being an easy way to exploit it.

My solution would be to award an alliance change as part of earning GO.

I think swapping alliances should reset your alliance rank (without taking away skills or skill points, they should not be awarded more than once.)

What do you think?

Should earning Grand Overlord allow you to swap factions? 110 votes

Yes
14%
Donnasnowheart_ESOEejit1331Peekachu99DorrowIlCanis_LupuslIblkjagdogmanMicah_BayerWornLoccMinarasLaureEvilAutoTechMaura_NeysaKumba_YacolossalvoidsLewisFernwehmayasunrising 16 votes
No
76%
Gilvothvailjohn_ESODeadlyRecluseAcrolasashenehb14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOOsteoswenchmore420b14_ESOixieValveSkayaqstatic_rechargeidkSheezabeaststarlizard70ub17_ESOLoralai_907Errisxcalibur007DrahnKanar 84 votes
Other (OP is on something)
9%
seaefFodoreKatahdinbrtomkinDojohodaKiralyn2000HoolieluluLasinagolDonny_Vitospartaxoxo 10 votes
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don't really think an alliance change mechanism is necessary, but limiting it to GOs would just be odd.

I could see an exorbitant (10 million?) AP cost+resetting alliance rank or something, but we all know that if alliance change (or class change) ever comes to the game, it will almost certainly be crown store only.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're high on something, sir.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My Grand Overlord is a blueberry. I'm not interested in changing my GO to a banana or a cherry; I earned it among my fellow blueberries, but that doesn't mean some other GO wouldn't want to change. I'm neutral.

However, it seems that there is more interest is permanently changing factions during the journey to GO, but that's off topic.
    Edited by Dojohoda on October 16, 2018 7:27PM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Traitor
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Fishoscandi
    Fishoscandi
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    If alliance change ever comes it will probably be via the crown store.

Also why would an EP soldier of the highest rank suddenly betray them and go DC or AD? :)
    Fishoscandi - Orc NB
    Cookie of Dough - Dunmer Templar
    Smells Like Tree Spirit - Bosmer Sorc

EU PC

• randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logically I'd say after Cadwells Gold would be more appropriate

but would prefer the faction locking per campaign route.
    EU PS4
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I totally get people dreading making additional characters to go play on another faction, but you do at least have that option and it's not a bad one. For my own purposes, the only reason I even HAVE a DC and EP character is because I want to eventually get those unique AP furnishings that are for some reason faction-locked. What a hassle!
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    After killing billions of soldiers of the other factions, they wont welcome u ;)
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Swapping factions may or may not be a good idea. Tying it exclusively to GO achievement is definitely a bad idea. Grand Overlord is an achievement for deeds done for your faction. The idea of carrying that over to a new faction takes all meaning from the achievement. If you earned it killing thousands of DC and AD while on your EP toon, what sense does it make to then just become DC and have the achievement active?

I'm all for a faction change perhaps in the crown store like race change. They can just add a lockout timer to avoid repeated abuse.
    Edited by redspecter23 on October 16, 2018 7:53PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Logically I'd say after Cadwells Gold would be more appropriate

but would prefer the faction locking per campaign route.

A PvP change behind a PvE gate? That’s logical?
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Thank you all for responding. I don't have a GO. My highest ranking character is still a Lieutenant. I mostly want to change alliance with my main just to find the wayshrines that are unavailable.

After posting I realized that every option should have included the tag that the OP was on something.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with having to reach GO.

I agree with it being allowed One Time Only after Cadwell's gold and silver. Yes I know it's a pve achievement but it makes sense in that the character has now explored and experienced the other two faction and can now choose to stay with the one they are in or another. However the account must also have any race, any alliance if the race of the character not considered native to the chosen alliance.

This eliminates the issue where a new player chose an alliance without knowing the implications then made friends or joined a guild where they pvp in another alliance or their current guild died and they find a new one in another alliance. They won't have to delete a character they invested time and/or money into with horse upgrades etc. Again, this would have to be one time only per character so people aren't constantly switching.

Yes people say (including myself), just make a new character. The fact is people don't want to, dont have time, dont want to repeat content do that. I've seen someone join a guild that was pvp only in one faction and they could not join in on those activities on their character. It was kind of disheartening to them to be in a guild they like but not be able to participate.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No reason it should
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, but we should be able to buy a faction change token in crown store....and be able to use it at any level.
  • Hoolielulu
    Hoolielulu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TRAITOR
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    There should be rewards for playing to the same alliance, not limitations or punishments to alliance swap.
  • Skayaq
    Skayaq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Thank you all for responding. I don't have a GO. My highest ranking character is still a Lieutenant. I mostly want to change alliance with my main just to find the wayshrines that are unavailable.

After posting I realized that every option should have included the tag that the OP was on something.

They only wayshrines that are unavailable to you are the four wayshrines in the other alliances home bases, which you can't port to anyway, so why do you need an alliance change?
    Kazari-Dar, Khajiit Nightblade..........Jarkyr Storm-Blade, Nord Sorcerer .......... Dunric Amedain, Breton Templar

Araniwen, Altmer Sorcerer..................Llirasa Andralu, Dunmer Templar...................Marzug gro-Borgaz, Orc Warden

Calinchel, Bosmer Warden...................Jahrel-Xei, Argonian Nightblade....................Cienri Maraeud, Breton Sorcerer

Inara Savicci, Imperial Templar...................Garoric Attilus, Imperial Dragonknight............ Maevina Tallian, Imperial Nightblade

Ravanni-Ko, Khajiit Dragonknight..........Faevyn Ice-Heart, Nord Warden..........Nazran al-Taneth, Redguard Dragonknight
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, it would be better if you had to chose an alliance each time you start a campaign, and then stick with it for all its duration, than any proposed method of changing factions.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Skayaq wrote: »

They only wayshrines that are unavailable to you are the four wayshrines in the other alliances home bases, which you can't port to anyway, so why do you need an alliance change?

I know they're useless but it still drives me crazy that my main will never find them. I also know that in and of itself, that is crazy too.

Literally, I would buy alliance change tokens for that, whatever the crown cost. I would eventually have to have three alliance changes because my main belongs in the Pact.

BTW, the OP is on something now.
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you serious? LOL
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    don't make sense to me
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Grand Overlord is the LAST person to be allowed to swap factions

Thyeve gained like 50m AP from killing the other alliances, I doubt they'd welcome them in with open arms
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh ...
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really think an alliance change mechanism is necessary

Perhaps all things being equal, but they're not. This is ESO.

At launch if you hadn't pre-ordered, you were restricted to 3 race options per faction. If you wanted to play a particular race then you literally had no choice of faction.

None.

Zero.

Nada.

Sure, eventually they started selling the race / faction unlock but this is ESO. Creating a new character isn't like other games. You wipe out six plus BLEEPING months of daily horse feeding, trait research, motifs, recipes etc. BLEEP that for a BLEEPING joke.

And it's potentially more than just a matter of personal taste. Race matters in ESO. Racial bonuses are not insignificant.

Had I the choice I'd have been playing DC. My guild concept would have been a better fit but humans are so boring and I'm not into orcs either.

Not that I care much any more. Spellcrafting never eventuated, there's very little variety in magic except across classes which the game shouldn't have, group content for healers is super boring, and if you've bothered to master crafting and learn motifs (I have) why would you invest all that effort in end-game content to get better gear and lose control of your appearance?

Ok yes now there's the wardrobe thingy but at $15 a costume slot per character, I'll pass.

Crafted equipment is perfectly functional for solo PvE but probably sub par for PvP, so that's something else I can pass on.

Which, returning to the point, is why I'm not much bothered by faction any more. It doesn't matter except for PvP and it's easy to ignore that. But it probably still matters to some and with appropriate measures to prevent potential abuses, of course it makes sense to give people an option to change. ZO should want people to be happy playing their game.