Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO on a SSD, how is it running for you?

• Ajantisz
    Ajantisz
    ✭✭✭
    SSD is fine. It runs dandy.
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayman1000 wrote: »
    Well, problem is that when I run eso on SSD it crashes often when porting to new zones (wayshrines, dungeons, public dungeons, delves etc). This is happening on two different pc's. When I install on the HDD there is no crashing.... :/

Tbh I think this has something to do with corrupted installation or worst case scenario, ram going bad but let's start at the obvious culprits first.

Did you already try repairing or reinstalling the client?
    If you already did and it didn't fix the problem then read on.

Do you have enough memory to run ESO? Did you somehow tampered with virtual memory settings?
    Minimum should be 8gb without anything running in the background that is eating your memory. If requirements are met and you've somehow tampered with virtual memory do this.

This PC> Properties> Advance System Settings> Advanced (tab)> Under Performance, click settings> Advanced (tab)> Under Virtual Memory, click change. Check the Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers.

Do you have an OS installed on that SSD? Did you use the same OS where your ESO is installed while trying it on a different computer? (Windows installed on SSD)
    If yes then first of all, try turning off anti-virus. If that didn't work then try reinstalling drivers, specifically graphic drivers. If that also didn't solve the issue then try running chkdsk and repair windows image.

Did you use the same SSD on the other PC where your ESO is already installed? (No Windows installed on SSD)
    If this is the case then it might be a bad SSD. First of all, try checking for bad sectors. If there is a bad sector then it's time to replace your SSD.

If above solutions didn't work then the last culprit is Ram corruption.
    First indications are crashes, random restarts, and then BSOD. As symptoms gets worst, you'll frequently get more BSODs. This is the point where your programs are crashing that looked normal and you have no idea what is wrong because you already did every fix at the table.

So it's either your ram is making your game crash while playing or it just so happens that your ram is already going bad by the time you installed something. Using repair/reinstalling of client is worthless at his point because everything will get corrupted and you won't even know it because like I said, crashes will always appear normal. As always, it's time to replace the faulty ram at this point.
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i always load in 20 sec before my friends. so maybe that has something to do with it.
    with a lesser ISP and computer.

:)

PC
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problems for me. Switched 2 years ago and load screens faster, little to no lag in Cyrodiil, faster keyboard response times and no crashes :)
    Edited by Rowjoh on October 14, 2018 8:04AM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    black textures on characters are gone. Other than that, not much difference. Locations still have kinda long loading times.
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone here has ESO installed on an SSD can you tell me how it is running for you? Are you getting crashes sometimes when porting to other zones? for example wayshrines, dungeons etc? Or does it work just fine and dandy all the time?

EDIT: I should add that I have make sure to disable all addons just in case to be sure.

dito, ive been running Eso on a external, no crashes while porting at all, better performance way less lag, it really helped i can recommend it
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samsung evo ssd, no issues
    Also, using 32gig of ram and an i7 intell cpu

I think the cpu and ram also matter
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ssd is a must, a lot faster
  • Xerge
    Xerge
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the 32gig of ram make a difference in this game? I know it's tough to answer but i'm curious myself.

i7@oc5ghz
    16gig ram@6gig ram
    installed on samsung evo m.2 chip

I'm usually the first one in loading in so it's not load times i'm looking to change; it is the FPS spikes that happen in this game. For example running around with 80fps then down to 40fps when running into a crowd(undaunted area), then back up to 60+fps.

I've also heard sync monitors affect this game big time.

• Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You wont get any performance and its barely any better for loading issues...
  • lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had never really thought about it before... I was in the ESO beta, and have played non-stop since... No more than a week’s break at a time (traveling while on holiday)...

I have never NOT played ESO on an SSD. I built my current machine over 5 years ago, and decided early on to run 100% off of SSD drives except for my backup drive. Power button to desktop is less than 10 seconds (it would be even faster if I disabled the login requirement). ESO runs just fine, even though I’m using a mid-tier, 5-year-old graphics card.

As others mentioned above... It’s probably not your SSD drive.
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xerge wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 32gig of ram make a difference in this game? I know it's tough to answer but i'm curious myself.

i7@oc5ghz
    16gig ram@6gig ram

I'm usually the first one in loading in so it's not load times i'm looking to change; it is the FPS spikes that happen in this game. For example running around with 80fps then down to 40fps when running into a crowd(undaunted area), then back up to 60+fps.

Games doesn't benefit in large RAM capacity so you're simply just allowing more task to be performed in the background instead of increasing the game's performance. To give you a baseline recommendation,16gb of RAM is the safest and the most efficient size in modern gaming unless you're doing workstations.

If you're just playing games along with some multitasks e.g. browsing, 16gb of RAM is more than enough. So instead of spending money for 32gb of RAM, spend your money for faster RAM speeds around 2400MHz or higher. However, you'll only notice a slight increase in FPS which is mostly just 5fps but the most noticeable impact is the decrease in stutters & faster memory cycle or in other words, a seamless gameplay.

Keep in mind that it's better & faster if you dual channel RAM sticks instead of just using one. Also higher RAM clock speed requires you to have a motherboard that has the ability to overclock because even if let's say ram has 2400MHz, it will still run at standard 2100MHz unless you overclock it but do not worry, it is safe. A RAM stick that has the capacity to perform at higher clock speed is just the maximum tested clock speed that a certain RAM can safely reach.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ravenarc wrote: »
    Well, problem is that when I run eso on SSD it crashes often when porting to new zones (wayshrines, dungeons, public dungeons, delves etc). This is happening on two different pc's. When I install on the HDD there is no crashing.... :/

Tbh I think this has something to do with corrupted installation or worst case scenario, ram going bad but let's start at the obvious culprits first.

Did you already try repairing or reinstalling the client?
    If you already did and it didn't fix the problem then read on.

Do you have enough memory to run ESO? Did you somehow tampered with virtual memory settings?
    Minimum should be 8gb without anything running in the background that is eating your memory. If requirements are met and you've somehow tampered with virtual memory do this.

This PC> Properties> Advance System Settings> Advanced (tab)> Under Performance, click settings> Advanced (tab)> Under Virtual Memory, click change. Check the Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers.

Do you have an OS installed on that SSD? Did you use the same OS where your ESO is installed while trying it on a different computer? (Windows installed on SSD)
    If yes then first of all, try turning off anti-virus. If that didn't work then try reinstalling drivers, specifically graphic drivers. If that also didn't solve the issue then try running chkdsk and repair windows image.

Did you use the same SSD on the other PC where your ESO is already installed? (No Windows installed on SSD)
    If this is the case then it might be a bad SSD. First of all, try checking for bad sectors. If there is a bad sector then it's time to replace your SSD.

If above solutions didn't work then the last culprit is Ram corruption.
    First indications are crashes, random restarts, and then BSOD. As symptoms gets worst, you'll frequently get more BSODs. This is the point where your programs are crashing that looked normal and you have no idea what is wrong because you already did every fix at the table.

So it's either your ram is making your game crash while playing or it just so happens that your ram is already going bad by the time you installed something. Using repair/reinstalling of client is worthless at his point because everything will get corrupted and you won't even know it because like I said, crashes will always appear normal. As always, it's time to replace the faulty ram at this point.

Yes the symptoms does indeed point to corrupt install. But the exact same symptons on two different computer that reinstalled on the SSD that previously worked fine on the HDD? If that's a mere coincidence I may almost start believing in that god thing, and Im an atheist :#

Anyway there was just a new nvidia driver release for both pc's so I have upgrade that and lets see if that will help. who knows. I really want it to work, SSD is so much better, I see a real difference in load times.

I have tried everything you asked about and suggested. I may add that there are no problems in other games on the SSD. GTA V, Borderlands 2, Fallout 4 etc. These are definately also games that make use of instance loading a lot, so why are they continuing to work fine while ESO is the only one having these crashing on porting to other zones. Also it's only a problem when porting to other zones. Porting within same zones is never a problem and the game players wonderfully and stably in all other cases, no crashes and fine performance.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i7@oc5ghz
    16gig ram@6gig ram

As someone mentioned 32gb is way overkill. Imo if you ram usage exceeds 50% you can get increased performance by increasing ram. Though if it is only just exceeding 50%, like 52% the performance difference will be hard to notice. As usage goes up though you'll see more and more performance hit. It's not entirely when some people claim that non used ram is wasted ram. 90% ram usage vs 50% ram should be very noticeble ingame. But if you already got 16GB ram I don't see why your ram usage would exceed 50% at any time playing ESO.
    Edited by Jayman1000 on October 15, 2018 11:58PM
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes the symptoms does indeed point to corrupt install. But the exact same symptons on two different computer that reinstalled on the SSD that previously worked fine on the HDD? If that's a mere coincidence I may almost start believing in that god thing, and Im an atheist :#

Anyway there was just a new nvidia driver release for both pc's so I have upgrade that and lets see if that will help. who knows. I really want it to work, SSD is so much better, I see a real difference in load times.

I have tried everything you asked about and suggested. I may add that there are no problems in other games on the SSD. GTA V, Borderlands 2, Fallout 4 etc. These are definately also games that make use of instance loading a lot, so why are they continuing to work fine while ESO is the only one having these crashing on porting to other zones. Also it's only a problem when porting to other zones. Porting within same zones is never a problem and the game players wonderfully and stably in all other cases, no crashes and fine performance.

Well if both PCs have corrupted installation then this is starting to sounds more like latency ping issue or net stability. Also keep in mind that when installing ESO or downloading patches, it is best not to interrupt the client specially when you're installing/downloading. Closing it whilst doing these and continuing later on can result to corruption specifically when done in multiple occasions.

However just to be sure, what is your in-game ms? If you don't know how to; to view it go to Settings> Interface> Game Performance> Turn On Latency. Also do this standard troubleshoot for your internet. Windows+R> Type CMD> Ctrl+Shift+Enter then select Yes> Type ping elderscrollsonline.com -t then hit Enter. Now check if you get any timeouts/interrupted connections.

Also one last thing. What is your computer specs for both of the PC's involved?

• freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run ESO off an SSD...…..

Recently I've been getting weird crashes..... changing zones, porting to houses, travelling to a group etc

From playing around with stuff I've found the best cure is to run a "game repair". The thing that worries me, is I've been playing since Beta and until recently I've never needed to constantly repair the game. :(

My previous PC's were always above system requirements, this PC is SO far above them it's ridiculous, yet now I have odd crashes.

I am currently investigating all my addons, so far I haven't found any culprit. :(

Edit:- My usual ping is between 50 - 120
    Edited by freespirit on October 16, 2018 2:10AM
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have it, runs great, never any problems (that I could trace to the SSD).
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runs better on my Samsung 850 Pro than it did on my Velociraptor.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

Recently I've been getting weird crashes..... changing zones, porting to houses, travelling to a group etc

From playing around with stuff I've found the best cure is to run a "game repair". The thing that worries me, is I've been playing since Beta and until recently I've never needed to constantly repair the game. :(

My previous PC's were always above system requirements, this PC is SO far above them it's ridiculous, yet now I have odd crashes.

I am currently investigating all my addons, so far I haven't found any culprit. :(

Sounds like that I have....
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i7@oc5ghz
    16gig ram@6gig ram

16GB of RAM is fine. I have 32GB but the game will not use a lot of it, so 16GB will be ok. I tend to run a lot of other heavy workloads, so I use the RAM for that. I have a G-Sync screen and this did make a difference to the general quality level. ESO is a game that can go from 144 (or more) to 30 FPS and G-Sync most definitely gave me a higher quality and smoother experience.
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

Well you won't find any culprit because Addons doesn't have any impact on crashes since it doesn't alter game files directly that could result in crashing, the only worst thing you can get from addons is script error in game which you can/can't close.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using a Samsung Evo crashes on zoning basically do not happen at all, that is with a substantial list of addons running.

Doesn't help with the crashes and responsiveness issues in Cyrodiil though, those are server side.

Edit: addons can sometimes be the culprit however. I had a problem with one i don't recall the exact name, crafting research assistant or something, it would lag my client out when using AoE skills in PvE for some reason. Once I deactivated it, the issue was gone.
    Edited by cazlonb16_ESO on October 16, 2018 9:28AM
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been using SSD since they first came on the market.

Games are pretty much the one thing they don't affect.
  • Wizhunter
    Wizhunter
    ✭✭
    Been using a ssd for about a year now and only use it for Windows 10 and ESO, all my other games including Steam are on a HDD. I don't know why I did it that way but it seems to work for me :)

Wiz
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone here has ESO installed on an SSD can you tell me how it is running for you? Are you getting crashes sometimes when porting to other zones? for example wayshrines, dungeons etc? Or does it work just fine and dandy all the time?

EDIT: I should add that I have make sure to disable all addons just in case to be sure.

I have 2 pc's in different places both using nvme samsung 950 Pro SSD series for OS and the game and it's rock solid and awesome ! One of the best inventions ever
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However just to be sure, what is your in-game ms? If you don't know how to; to view it go to Settings> Interface> Game Performance> Turn On Latency. Also do this standard troubleshoot for your internet. Windows+R> Type CMD> Ctrl+Shift+Enter then select Yes> Type ping elderscrollsonline.com -t then hit Enter. Now check if you get any timeouts/interrupted connections.

Doing ping elderscrollsonline.com -t in an elevated command prompt gives constant "Request timed out." on both desktop and laptop pc. Not sure what that is supposed to mean then? I can always login and play the game and I don't get disconnects.

As mentioned the crashing is only happening sometimes when porting to other zones. I can play for many hours all day in the same zone and no crashing at all, but as soon as I port another zone it is bound to happen. Im guess it's about every 10th porting on average that results in a crash, this includes going into outlaw refuge, using wayshrines to another zone, going into delves, public dungeons and dungeons, or zoning through entering another zone (on the zone exit/entrance).

My desktop PC:
    Using a cabled connection. Latency is usually somewhere between 40-80ms on EU server and 180-230ms US server (Im playing from europe). Crashing problem when porting to another zone seems to happen with same frequency on both servers and both pc's.

cpu: i7-3770k 3.5ghz oc to 4.5ghz (not running hot, temps while playing do not exceed 55 celcius).
    gpu: nvidia gtx 690 2GB SLI (also not running hot, temps while playing do not exceed 64 celcius)
    motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UPS
    ram: 2x8GB TRAUMATIRZ Series 1866 Mhz
    SSD: Intel SSD 330 Series 180gb Solid State Drive SSDSC2CT180A3. Storage ~50% full. Windows 10 Pro is NOT installed on the same SSD as ESO.

Laptop:
    Using Wifi (same internet connection as the desktop, just wifi instead of cable). Latency is usually somewhere between 80-100ms on EU server and 180-230ms US server.

cpu: i7-4700MQ 2.40ghz (tends to run hot, temps sometimes reach 93 celcius, but cpu has a max allowed temp of 100 celcius).
    gpu: nvidia gtx 765M 2GB (not running hot, temps while playing do not exceed 70 celcius, dont know the max allowed temps but 70 celcius does not sound very hot)
    motherboard: unknown model. Msinfo reports "notebook" as motherboard model
    ram: 16GB unknown model
    SSD: Samsung 840 series 200GB. Storage ~60% full. Windows 10 Pro IS installed on the same SSD as ESO.

Ran Crystaldiskinfo on both pc's and it reported "Good" for both SSD.

Edited by Jayman1000 on October 16, 2018 5:53PM
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    It works well, but don't expect it to lessen load screen times since that issue is related to the network and not drive bound.
  • NeoXanthus
    NeoXanthus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run a Dell PERC h700 /w 4x Samsung SSD 250gb pro drives in RAID 0 configuration the speed is amazing.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your not gaming on an SSD, your crying in your corn flakes.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing ping elderscrollsonline.com -t in an elevated command prompt gives constant "Request timed out." on both desktop and laptop pc. Not sure what that is supposed to mean then? I can always login and play the game and I don't get disconnects.

As mentioned the crashing is only happening sometimes when porting to other zones. I can play for many hours all day in the same zone and no crashing at all, but as soon as I port another zone it is bound to happen. Im guess it's about every 10th porting on average that results in a crash, this includes going into outlaw refuge, using wayshrines to another zone, going into delves, public dungeons and dungeons, or zoning through entering another zone (on the zone exit/entrance).

We have a server maintenance atm, bad timing to check. Can you try again later after maintenance? Then we'll see if you really did get timeouts upon pinging.

If you still get timeouts after maintenance then that is your culprit. So it's either your ISP has some issues or your Ethernet, ADSL, or Fibre cable but before we draw any conclusions there, I'm suspicious on that 2gb VRAM (GPU video memory) since I believe ESO is using more than 3gb VRAM but let's ask someone first that has the same VRAM capacity that you have or lower. Also Low VRAM is one of the contributing factors on why your game is crashing while porting, this is because your GPU can't handle too much info when entering a new instance but this can too happen when you get connection timeouts.