The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

ESO on a SSD, how is it running for you?

Jayman1000
Jayman1000
✭✭✭✭✭
If anyone here has ESO installed on an SSD can you tell me how it is running for you? Are you getting crashes sometimes when porting to other zones? for example wayshrines, dungeons etc? Or does it work just fine and dandy all the time?

EDIT: I should add that I have make sure to disable all addons just in case to be sure.
Edited by Jayman1000 on October 13, 2018 10:21PM
  • babedenny
    babedenny
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been running on SSD for a few years. No problems. SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SATA III.
    Edited by babedenny on October 13, 2018 8:49PM
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fine and dandy almost all of the time.
    Very infrequently I will experience some very brief latency (actions slow to respond after hitting keys), but it never lasts long, and then it's back to normal.

The only thing I do experience very regularly is the long loading screen thing that everyone deals with.
  • HackTheMinotaur
    HackTheMinotaur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great! Highly recommend this.
  • JackDaniell
    JackDaniell
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to run eso on a disk drive, and upgraded to an ssd about 2 years ago. The big think i noticed is less loading screen time vs the disk drive, however it can still take a long time.

Seriously tho upgrading to an ssd is one of the best upgrades you can make for a pc!
    Ebonheart Templar

www.youtube.com/user/kristofersommermusic
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    SSD have largest impact during patches as when those compressed files need to be uncompressed and stored on disk.

Crash could be caused by a lot of things, but in general a SSD wouldn't have anything do with that. When a SSD is defect it would also show in other apps stability to run. Most crashes are caused by memory problem (leaks) or conflicts when memory isn't being released in correct manner.

There are tools to check your SSDs status which you can download for free and in Windows there is administrative tool to check boot section.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayman1000 wrote: »
    If anyone here has ESO installed on an SSD can you tell me how it is running for you? Are you getting crashes sometimes when porting to other zones? for example wayshrines, dungeons etc? Or does it work just fine and dandy all the time?

Fine and dandy.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some loading screens have become much smaller. Such as porting within the same map. Others remain absurdly long.
  • TheInfernalRage
    TheInfernalRage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problems. My wife's using Kingston. I'm using Samsung.

Faster loading times.

• Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use SSD. But I make a point of regular space maintenance of my HDD.

ESO seems to rely on the concept of virtual storage (using disk as memory). Keeping a large chunk of contiguous disk space makes a real difference to game play. The nature of SDD means that "disk" is faster anyway and VS is obsolete.

I can see noticeable slowdown on my potato PC after internet usage, when disk fills with temporary files. Conversely, performance improves with complete cleanup of unwanted files and disk de-fragmentation.

I Haven't found a need to upgrade to SSD, but as stated by others, you should see a significant improvement.

• FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run it on M2 and it's usually instant between locations but now and then I still get the notorious ESO loading screen bug. But any for of SSD or M2 drive is a vast improvement on rotational drives.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I have two pc's, a desktop for me and a laptop for my kids. I bought a SSD for my desktop and then installed ESO there instead. That is when the crashing began sometimes happening when porting. The laptop have both a SSD and a HDD installed (SSD is the system disk) and I have had ESO installed on the HDD where there were no problems. I then reinstalled on the SSD (uninstalled some games there first to make room) and now that has the same problems too, sometimes crashing when porting. It's án instan crash to desktop, no errors or anything it's gone in a split second.

The SSD on my desktop has no problems with other games, they never crash, (except when some cases where I know that the crash is not due to the SSD, like performing som bugged actions in some games will cause a crash). Fallout 4, GTAV, Borderlands 2, no problems, all work fine for hours on hours.

It's a shame because when not crashing loading times are amazingly fast.
    Edited by Jayman1000 on October 13, 2018 10:19PM
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally when i started again ESO about 1 year ago, i removed the game from a HD that i was playing from for like 2 months and moved it in a samsung 960 EVO M2.

Saw nothing different and not a change in terribly slow loading speeds
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I have two pc's, a desktop for me and a laptop for my kids. I bought a SSD for my desktop and then installed ESO there instead. That is when the crashing began sometimes happening when porting. The laptop have both a SSD and a HDD installed (SSD is the system disk) and I have had ESO installed on the HDD where there were no problems. I then reinstalled on the SSD (uninstalled some games there first to make room) and now that has the same problems too, sometimes crashing when porting. It's án instan crash to desktop, no errors or anything it's gone in a split second.

The SSD on my desktop has no problems with other games, they never crash, (except when some cases where I know that the crash is not due to the SSD, like performing som bugged actions in some games will cause a crash). Fallout 4, GTAV, Borderlands 2, no problems, all work fine for hours on hours.

Weird. I've run ESO on various standard SSDs and now it's on M2 on my desktop and M2 on my laptop. My son runs it on SSD on his desktop and laptop, neither of us have issues.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicko_Lps wrote: »
    Personally when i started again ESO about 1 year ago, i removed the game from a HD that i was playing from for like 2 months and moved it in a samsung 960 EVO M2.

That's too bad; I actually see very fast load times. Especially when starting the game, the time from login to character screen to ingame is incredibly fast.
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicko_Lps wrote: »

That's too bad; I actually see very fast load times. Especially when starting the game, the time from login to character screen to ingame is incredibly fast.

Ive seen people claiming inside cyrodiil that they never lag despite the whole zone chat laughing at them.

While a well made game would load like in 2-3 sec with mysetup ESO lets me roll a cig before it loads up.

Im pretty sure when making writs with 5 characters in need more time in loading screens than the time i need to actually make writs.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have ESO installed on a 500 gig SSD. I don't have huge load times, and never have crashes - and I'm the one with 2000 ms ping....
  • doc_ketamine
    doc_ketamine
    ✭✭✭
    I ran on an SSD on my last PC, and M2 (SSD directly on the motherboard) on the current rig, and no problems.
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samsung 860 evo m.2 250gb

You'll barely notice any much of a difference in fullscreen. Mine is just 10-15 seconds faster but sometimes it's slow because ESO still relies on ping even for loading screen which sucks, there's also pop-ups which I thought SSD will solve but this still happens from time to time. I have an average of 250-300 ping, playing outside NA. This is probably why sometimes I get slow loading screens and character/environment pop-ups.

However, using borderless, this is where SSD truly shines for me. I can now alt tab without worrying that the loading screen will take ages or get stuck because this is common when I still got ESO on my HDD. Borderless loading screen takes 2-5 minutes there. Also doing daily writs and logging multiple toons is definitely much faster in a large margin that it improved my quality of life because in HDD, loading screens doesn't improve overtime of gameplay.

Just a tip. Big patches in ESO eats too much space so if you have small SSD like mine, you're gonna have hard time patching ESO. What I did in my place is to copy ESO back in HDD with a large space then patch it and bring it back to SSD.
    Edited by Perwulf on October 13, 2018 11:16PM
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run everything on SSDs and you should too. Only use Samsung Evo or Intel SSDs.

The Samsung drives are on sale at Best Buy all the time. I think a five hundred gigger was selling for about $100 about a week ago. Maybe $120
    Edited by qbit on October 13, 2018 11:24PM
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭
    i run eso on a samsung nvme m.2 drive, supposed to be slightly faster than ssd and way faster than standard sata. it runs well but as far as loading screens go, it seems slightly faster but bordering on unnoticeably faster than everyone else
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    I run everything on SSDs and you should too. Only use Samsung Evo or Intel SSDs.

The Samsung drives are on sale at Best Buy all the time. I think a five hundred gigger was selling for about $100 about a week ago. Maybe $120

Well, problem is that when I run eso on SSD it crashes often when porting to new zones (wayshrines, dungeons, public dungeons, delves etc). This is happening on two different pc's. When I install on the HDD there is no crashing.... :/
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I upgraded I saw no changes
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much better
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've run ESO almost exclusively on SSDs - both internal and external - with no problems.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would you know its the ssd?

But anyways. Ssd is all i use Samsung. No issuse here
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have people been playing games on anything but SSDs since like the 90’s? Of course it’s better.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not much of an improvement over HDD in this game, but it runs fine. No crashes.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 14, 2018 3:37AM
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using PCI SSD And it is still a slow loading screens. Cyrodiil is a livign nightmare reguardless of you are using SSD or not.
    The Loading issues are comingfrom serverside communication hickups, wich is cosued by between the client and the server.
    And also it effects still the game reaction time from teh client side is being slow, like barswap time delays or you keep pushing your skills but the game dsoent do a damn thing.

So SSD here or not these issues comes driectly from the Services what @ZOS "Provides". <
    (yes that was sarcastic)
    GM Of The Lusty Argonian ERP
    GM Of THe Alessia Dynasty PVP Guild
    GM Of The Guardians Of MiddleEarth
    My Smiling Emperor Profile Picture: https://ibb.co/bsOM6n
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    most loading screens are hamster food related, once you have everything ESO related on an SSD
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is much better on an SSD. The load screens are often shorter and, more importantly, less than 1/5th the cyr infinite load screens that I got before. I switched from an old WD velociraptor to a Samsung SSD last year.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.