The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Now that many of us have gotten our 100k gold reward...

Bananko
Bananko
✭✭✭✭
... Will the price of everything in the game now increase ten-fold (or even a hundred-fold) to compensate for inflation or whatever? :open_mouth:

Edited by Bananko on September 30, 2018 4:37AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But... I didn't get it... So like, it's not gonna inflate as much lol
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. 100k is way to low to effect the market in any real sense.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what inflation? 100k gold is couple of days of farming/stealing at most. it might boost sales of stuff in guild stores for a bit though.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I used every bit of it within three hours of getting it
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭

I was reminded of an old sci-fi short story I read back in junior high about a man who, after putting a certain amount of money into his bank account, decided to go into suspended animation for a hundred or so years.

When he was awoken and gotten somewhat acclimated to his new world, he went to the bank and discovered that through yearly interest, he now had about $100 million in his account (or whatever the amount was... it was seemingly huge).

So to celebrate, he went shopping for new clothes. At one department store, he saw a sweater he really liked and asked an employee there how much it was. She happily informed him that the sweater was currently on sale for only $50,000 (or so). :o
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    what inflation? 100k gold is couple of days of farming/stealing at most. it might boost sales of stuff in guild stores for a bit though.

I'm one of the few players I know who's never had any luck accumulating such a large amount of money in just about any game I've ever played (kinda reflects real life for me in a way :'(), so for me this $100k gold reward is absolutely massive (as it would be for me in real life). :)
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bananko wrote: »
    ... Will the price of everything in the game now increase ten-fold (or even a hundred-fold) to compensate for inflation or whatever? :open_mouth:

Well, the day before most got their 100k, I was looking for denata runes - not many to find or too expensive. Today i got 1.3k of them for cheap (as in 200 for 1000 gold), guess because people will now use rekuta or even kuta instead of denata and wanted to get rid of their denata.
    Edited by Lysette on September 30, 2018 3:22AM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    Oh I used every bit of it within three hours of getting it

Yeah, me too - bought a house and crafting recipes for furniture and bought as well a few items, which I cannot build yet.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm one of the few players I know who's never had any luck accumulating such a large amount of money in just about any game I've ever played (kinda reflects real life for me in a way :'(), so for me this $100k gold reward is absolutely massive (as it would be for me in real life). :)

that is awesome and it was probably the point of this reward :)

(incidentally I used to have serious trouble accumulating gold as well until I basically started hiding it from mysefl in a bank. every time my character would go above 10k, I'd stash it in a bank, so that I'm not tempted to spend it. if I'd get a bunch of gold from stealing - into the bank it would go, especially since there's usually a banker NPC in the same area as the fence. if I'd be above 20k - I would deposit 20k. made it MUCH easier to accumulate gold instead of randomly spending it. but why save it, you ask? I love my some larger purchases, and now I can actualy afford to make them, cause I have a stash :D

that said. depending on where you are in the game. 100k is amazing. or.. its half the price of a furnishing recipe you've been meaning to buy, so... that's why I'm saying that this reward wan't do much for inflation. its just going to give some spending power to more people for a bit.
    Edited by Linaleah on September 30, 2018 3:33AM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that is awesome and it was probably the point of this reward :)

(incidentally I used to have serious trouble accumulating gold as well until I basically started hiding it from mysefl in a bank. every time my character would go above 10k, I'd stash it in a bank, so that I'm not tempted to spend it. if I'd get a bunch of gold from stealing - into the bank it would go, especially since there's usually a banker NPC in the same area as the fence. if I'd be above 20k - I would deposit 20k. made it MUCH easier to accumulate gold instead of randomly spending it. but why save it, you ask? I love my some larger purchases, and now I can actualy afford to make them, cause I have a stash :D

This is not a bad move - after I do my crafting stuff, I keep just 800-1500 gold on each character and deposite the rest in my bank. This adds up quickly and I just take something from the bank, if I need material or want to buy crafting recipes, a house or some furniture items. It works well this way.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reminded of an old sci-fi short story I read back in junior high about a man who, after putting a certain amount of money into his bank account, decided to go into suspended animation for a hundred or so years.

When he was awoken and gotten somewhat acclimated to his new world, he went to the bank and discovered that through yearly interest, he now had about $100 million in his account (or whatever the amount was... it was seemingly huge).

So to celebrate, he went shopping for new clothes. At one department store, he saw a sweater he really liked and asked an employee there how much it was. She happily informed him that the sweater was currently on sale for only $50,000 (or so). :o

that sounds like some twilight zone stuff right there :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

that sounds like some twilight zone stuff right there :)

That is actually how it is in real life - if you save money in the bank you won't get any richer by interest - inflation is eating your interest and you might even end up with less buying power, because nations lie about their real inflation rates a lot. That is why no one wealthy enough is saving money in a bank but buys shareholder value instead - companies, property - not money value. This is more inflation-safe and will keep it's value especially in a crisis (if it is not a political crisis like in south africa, where whites are getting expropriated without compensation - i.e. stealing property from them legally).

Btw with 2% interest the doubling period is 36 years - if someone has deposited 100k in the bank for 108 years, he will end up with 800k - not even a million - not to talk about that taxes have to be paid on it as well, so it is even less. So if someone want to have 100 million after 108 years, he has to be a multi-millionaire before already - he needs to deposit 12.5 million - and this is not even taking taxes into account. He will not get to those 100 million with taxes included.

Now let see what that shirt might cost - assuming a "real" inflation rate of 8% for 108 years - let's assume this shirt costs at a sale now 30 bucks - that shirt would not cost 50,000 - that is by far too less, but 122,148 bucks - now compare that to those 800k - a huge loss in buying power. That is why no one wealthy enough would save money in the bank ever.
    Edited by Lysette on September 30, 2018 4:23AM
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I strive to keep 5k on all of my characters. Each time I make a trip to the bank (or pull out my banker, rather), I deposit all but 5k.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can spend 100,000 gold on a single furnishing blueprint, so no, it's not enough to affect the economy in any way.

I did buy a very nice, rare purple blueprint with it, though. :)
  • DCanadianBacon
    DCanadianBacon
    ✭✭✭
    As long as ZoS doesn't give out a reward like this too often, I don't really see any short term consequences for the market.

And honestly, there's enough gold sinks in this game that it definitely won't affect prices long term either. Just a nice little bonus for players who have trouble making gold, and a couple of Stacks of Columbine for me to buy! :)
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It had this effect on denata, like I told above - so to me this was awesome, because i was nearly out of those, and now I have 1.3k of them for not even 7k in total. A day before I had a hard time to find any - and now that cheap, really nice deal made.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    It had this effect on denata, like I told above - so to me this was awesome, because i was nearly out of those, and now I have 1.3k of them for not even 7k in total. A day before I had a hard time to find any - and now that cheap, really nice deal made.

okay, now ya got me curious - what in tamriel are you doing with all those superior runes???
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing about this reward is that the gold that stays in the game will eventually go to the players who didn't need it.
  • K0rpeN
    K0rpeN
    ✭✭✭
    Why most people freaking out with 100k gold? It's just one day sales on a good trade guild.
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    K0rpeN wrote: »
    Why most people freaking out with 100k gold? It's just one day sales on a good trade guild.

What if you're not in a trade guild? Not all of us are..

100k is better than no k. I don't care how rich you are.
    Edited by RD065 on September 30, 2018 11:17AM
  • K0rpeN
    K0rpeN
    ✭✭✭
    RD065 wrote: »

Even if you are not in a trading guild there are many ways making ~100k gold in a day or two. I am not even rich. Right now I am at 1.500k.
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can earn 100k in a few hours. Did you know that?
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    RD065 wrote: »

Even if you are not in a trading guild there are many ways making ~100k gold in a day or two. I am not even rich. Right now I am at 1.500k.

I have 192k with all my characters and that's after I got the free 100k. 2 months work.. I don't have a max character. I only use money for repairs, and reset of my skills (rarely). Weather you can make that much really isn't the point. I just got 100k without having to do any thing.
  • SSlarg
    SSlarg
    ✭✭✭
    Spent my 100k and another 400k of his golden friends for furnishings for the villa. (so far lol)

TY ZoS
    Edited by SSlarg on September 30, 2018 11:30AM
    PS4 NA PSN - SSlarg
    Currently Looking To Buy:
    NoThInG
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get it, went to see family at the beginning and end of the month and missed some days logging in.

Fortunately while it's a lot of gold for me I could save it up over a couple of weeks of crafting writs (not up to master writs yet) and stealing so it's not a major loss.

But for a lot of people in this game, at least the ones on the forum, 100k is nothing so I doubt it will have a big impact on the economy, in spite of all the panic when it was announced.

I'm just hoping it's a one-off because if 28 day login rewards are normal I'll never get the big rewards and that would get annoying. But I suspect ZOS know that would encourage some people to switch to a game which doesn't constantly exclude them from rewards so they're unlikely to do it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • K0rpeN
    K0rpeN
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, I am not trying to show off. I am just saying that giving 100k to barely half of the player base is not making any impact on the market.
  • idrankyourbeer
    idrankyourbeer
    ✭✭✭
    i wont be getting it. ill miss it by a day. even though ive logged in every day this month i keep forgetting to claim the reward. oh well. i got a headless horsemen pumpkin bear mount thing from a free crate from last weeks event thingy so im good.
    Edited by idrankyourbeer on September 30, 2018 11:37AM
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can earn 100k in a few hours. Did you know that?

Not all of us can.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say, denata r hard to find, cause a lot of ppl dont know that they actually sell and u have only 30 slots in a tradeguild (afaik?) so putting up items that go for 5g/ea needs a certain level of despair. As in if u put a single culanda cookie u get double the amount of money.

on topic, i'd guess most of the free gold is now slumbering in the hoards of the wealthy.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_nya wrote: »

I would say, denata r hard to find, cause a lot of ppl dont know that they actually sell and u have only 30 slots in a tradeguild (afaik?) so putting up items that go for 5g/ea needs a certain level of despair. As in if u put a single culanda cookie u get double the amount of money.

on topic, i'd guess most of the free gold is now slumbering in the hoards of the wealthy.

This is why I have a hard time finding stuff I want to buy from guild traders. People in trade guilds are under so much pressure to maximise their sales that they won't 'waste' space on the stuff I want to buy.

I have to use TTC to find traders with less serious guilds selling stuff I want, or just stick to using what I can find. Which is generally ok but seems very clunky when I'm used to games where everyone can trade.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"