The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Returning; would love advice.

thewaywardone
thewaywardone
✭✭✭
Hey folks.

I bought the game right around when Morrowind came out, played spottily until about a month after the Summerset release. I'm getting ready to delete the characters I created then (as an aside, what happens to CP points when you do that?) and start new because I remember almost nothing about where I was/the classes I was playing.

I know we're getting ready for Murkmire and changes are coming. Amusingly I resubbed, apparently, on my one-year anniversary of owning the game. :smiley: Go figure the odds on that.

For someone who hasn't read and kept up with things, and who is looking for a character to do overland content/crafting (essentially a main do everything character), what does the community suggest? End game will be something I will want to do, as is PVP (dabbler here, probably will do it spottily) but I understand that trying to plan for that *AND* an everything character is probably ridiculous.

I don't know many folk who play and am not really in any guilds (I think I'm still part of a crafting guild, but that's basically all they do) so I'll be doing solo and PUGs probably.

The characters I hit 50 on prior to stopping were a magicka DK and a pet Sorcerer -- I don't think I loved either of them, ultimately, but I also didn't know what I was doing.

Anyway, advice on a class good for:
  1. Solo play
  2. Crafting
  3. PUGs
  4. Eventual end game and light PVP
PC/NA - Daytime player - Obnoxiously Casual Player - PVE/RP
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would roll a NB, any flavour stamina or magicka, if I were you. But don't take me seriously since I am a little bit biased and have a handful of them. Love them to skip pulls.

PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Erris
    Erris
    ✭✭✭
    Breton Templar would be my recommendation. Everyone loves a healer. Bretons get extra AP from PVP, and have good sustain.

It's super easy to play, so you could level up quickly. Front bar destruction staff with jabs, breath of life, and repentance, back bar healing springs, mutagen, repentance. Other skills up to you. Just learn to pull repentance on every mob for free healing for you and your group.

Poke your way through mobs, heal your way through pugs and PVP.

For crafting, I learn everything on every character. Do your writs, and you'll make gobs of easy money!

Oh, don't delete your characters! You'll lose all your mount training, current crafting, and bag upgrades. Keep them, even if you're not playing, as they're useful for storage, writs, and maybe you'll want to play them again someday.
    Edited by Erris on September 29, 2018 9:15PM
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/2/3/4 - any class properly build will be ok. Just watch the Google tutorials.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Role as magsorc cuz next patch they'll be OP.
    Master Debater
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magplar.

There's always going to be a FotM, but everyone loves a magplar in their group. They're good for all content. Magblade would be a close second. Better offensive capabilities, comparable healing, but much less utility.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also welcome back! Expect lots of salt here on the forums lol
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo play - any type of nightblade, stamina warden, both templars,...
    Crafting - it looked like magsorc will be top pick for this just a week ago, but now it does not matter whom you pick.
    PUGs -nightblades as DDs, templar as heal, DK as tank
    PvP - nightblades or wardens of any type.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too would be concerned about losing your cp points if you delete all your cp characters. I'd keep one hanging around until you get your new one up to 50. Leveling from 1 - 50 is fun and a great time to learn your character. Leveling from 50 to cp160 is a pain though, with too many gear/level changes to keep up with.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for most stam characters, no matter what class and role. The skill Vigor (self heal) is often helpful. and to get it you need to do a little PvP. :)

PC
  • thewaywardone
    thewaywardone
    ✭✭✭
    @Erris great points on hanging on to them for CP points/bags; I also realized/remembered one of them has a lot of recipe/motifs learned, so I should keep her anyway.

She's a DK, which aren't listed anywhere here, haha, so I guess shelving her for a bit isn't a bad idea anyway.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks.

I bought the game right around when Morrowind came out, played spottily until about a month after the Summerset release. I'm getting ready to delete the characters I created then (as an aside, what happens to CP points when you do that?) and start new because I remember almost nothing about where I was/the classes I was playing.

I know we're getting ready for Murkmire and changes are coming. Amusingly I resubbed, apparently, on my one-year anniversary of owning the game. :smiley: Go figure the odds on that.

For someone who hasn't read and kept up with things, and who is looking for a character to do overland content/crafting (essentially a main do everything character), what does the community suggest? End game will be something I will want to do, as is PVP (dabbler here, probably will do it spottily) but I understand that trying to plan for that *AND* an everything character is probably ridiculous.

I don't know many folk who play and am not really in any guilds (I think I'm still part of a crafting guild, but that's basically all they do) so I'll be doing solo and PUGs probably.

The characters I hit 50 on prior to stopping were a magicka DK and a pet Sorcerer -- I don't think I loved either of them, ultimately, but I also didn't know what I was doing.

Anyway, advice on a class good for:
    1. Solo play
    2. Crafting
    3. PUGs
    4. Eventual end game and light PVP

It doesn't really matter what you choose.
    One you git gud, something will get nerfed and you'll need to rethink your strategy.

Some ground pepper?
  • ResTandRespeC
    ResTandRespeC
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Erris great points on hanging on to them for CP points/bags; I also realized/remembered one of them has a lot of recipe/motifs learned, so I should keep her anyway.

She's a DK, which aren't listed anywhere here, haha, so I guess shelving her for a bit isn't a bad idea anyway.

Magdks are actually pretty good for both pve and pvp. Not FoTM but definitely in the top 3 mag specs.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade are still the best. Best DPS, best burst, best pvp escapability, great pve self sustain/heals.

As far as fun well thats subjective.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NB at least between loading screens you'll be overpowered and able to choose when to run screaming ...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    Role as magsorc cuz next patch they'll be OP.

This is bait.
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • thewaywardone
    thewaywardone
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

Hanging on to the magDK but shelving her a bit.

Am going to give templar a go; just not sure if I'll do stamina or magicka yet.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't roll a magsorc or magwarden just a heads up..
    Edited by DanteYoda on October 1, 2018 1:34PM
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

Hanging on to the magDK but shelving her a bit.

Am going to give templar a go; just not sure if I'll do stamina or magicka yet.

magicka for sure. You'll find random daily groups very easy as healer and by the time Murkmire hits us you'll be in even greater demand with the upcoming shield changes...
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would save one for crafting. It will save you the hassle of skill points issues later.

Picking a class and role is hard, but for enjoyment just pick something you think you might like then try it out. If you are more rational of a player then decide which role you find interesting killing, contoling or saving. Then decide if you like more risk in return for greater reward and pick Magicka or stamina. The decide on playstyle, fast, flashy, Hardy, holy, nature.

For pugs pick tank role to get in dungeons fast.

For endgame just make another thread asking about top gear when you decide class/role