The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Mount Speed

ZorroDeMar
ZorroDeMar
✭✭
I have notice that some not all mount have different speed. My character is max on all horce attributes but the new Hollowjack rider ride very slow and the hist guar too. But my black sache lion ride very fast. Can all mount ride at the same speed?
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are all the same speed if you have max speed.

The senche feel faster I think because they are closer to the ground
    Beta tester November 2013
  • ZorroDeMar
    ZorroDeMar
    ✭✭
    NOt realy I have test the rides and tehy have diferent speed
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZorroDeMar wrote: »

If so its a bug because all mounts have the same base speed and you have the same increased with rapids or other speed augmenters

I highly doubt you did an adequate test.
    Ive ran in a pack of different mounts in Cyrodiil, with all on rapids and max speed leveled, no mount ran faster than any other mount

Edited by Katahdin on September 21, 2018 6:07PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have max speed and most of my mounts HAVE DIFFERENT SPEEDS. I hate this!

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • tuxon
    tuxon
    ✭✭✭✭
    The speed is the same. But almost everyone uses the skill from Alliance Tree to ride faster. And if you use add on for auto enabling it the glow from the actual skill is hidden so you don't see that particular skill active.
    Resdayniil kan tarcel
  • BWS2K
    BWS2K
    ✭✭✭
    Mount size scales to your model size, and different mounts run differently (a guar has only two legs, etc.). The speed is the same but the perceived speed is different. This is why it feels weird to play for an hour on my tall character and then switch to my shorty - they cover the same distance but one has much longer strides. Of course, I've never put this to an exact test and I'd be interested to see if I'm wrong.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wanting to test this on various mounts. Here are my results:

Rider - Wood Elf. Mount skills maxed. Wind running passive active (ie: 120CP in Lover) No other speed buffs except as detailed below.

Test track is from Honrich Tower Wayshrine to Riften Wayshrine along the main road. Same route each time. Rapids reapplied at 1 sec duration remaining.

All times in seconds.

Doom Wolf Mount
    Without Rapids - 102s
    With Rapids - 80s

Sorrel Horse
    Without Rapids - 102s
    With Rapids - 80s

Dwarven Spider
    Without Rapids - 103s
    With Rapids - 80s

Green Narsis Guar
    Without Rapids - 102s
    With Rapids - 80s

Hammerfell Camel.
    Without Rapids - 103s
    With Rapids - 80s

Nix-Ox War Steed
    Without Rapids - 103s
    With Rapids - 80s

Leopard Senche
    Without Rapids - 103s
    With Rapids - 80s

(Margin for error +/- 1s)

Conclusion:

All mounts have the same speed.

'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Melkoj
    Melkoj
    I think you're feeling the running animations being different
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    They are all the same speed if you have max speed.

The senche feel faster I think because they are closer to the ground

Kinda but also kinda not. I tested with another person next to me that had the same speed and there can be times where a mount can mess with speeds, mostly go slower, not actually faster. Some mounts have better terrain managing. It is really a glitch imo, but it isn't one I have been fully able to figure out to report or it would have been something I would have reported. I probably should do the same thing like I did with the fall damage glitch and post a video and see if someone else can figure what is going on.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • ZorroDeMar
    ZorroDeMar
    ✭✭
    Thank to take the time and test your mounts. Maybe you have a point with Mount mess with speed. The nightmare Courser can ride a steady while the Hollowjack can stop and mess the ride. Hist Guar ride is the slowest and it make some kind of jumping that maybe is what is making him go slow.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tested this on PC/EU as well and found the results were the same.

Europe time is equal to North America time, apparently.

Gorne Striped Wolf
    Without Rapids - 103s
    With Rapids - 80s

EDITED for typo.
    Edited by MrGarlic on September 23, 2018 11:11PM
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MrGarlic i appreciate your rigor. i hope that other interested parties will recognize the value of it and begin to approach it.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're testing on different characters, maybe one has the CP speed boost enabled
    PS4 EU
  • Doctor_Demento
    Doctor_Demento
    ✭✭✭
    I also have done testing and he IS right. It is NOT a perceived difference in speed. It is a real one. Testing the mounts against other riders there IS a difference. Been here 5 years now and there IS a difference in speed. And there is difference in speed by type of mount on what terrain as well. And there is a difference in speed on travelling up and down stairs for instance. Some mounts do it much faster than others. So no, you can put all the "test results" you want to post up here. I have tested it myself against other riders and against my own mounts. There IS a difference is mount speeds. You can disagree if you like, that is your right. But I still disagree with you. It is something that has annoyed the hell out of me for years. *EDIT* I wanted to add, thnx to those that understand. I am not 13. I am a retired network engineer in the industry for 48 years. I have been gaming online since 1994. I have done 58 betas to date including this game. I have 3 degrees in programming. I know how perception in games work. I know how mounts of all types work. From robots to bears. There is a difference in speed by how the different mounts handle terrain, stairs, obstacles, etc. They do NOT handle them the same . It is not a difference in perception. It is a difference in programming. I am not anally retentive like some. I am not going to give you "diagrams and pictures with circles and arrows" explaing it all. As I already stated, you disagree, fine. That is your choice. This is mine and I stand by it. As you can see, neco or not, there are people who still agree it is real and those who disagree and those who just choose to be obnoxious and rude. For me, this conversation is over. You decide on your opinion. I have decided on mine and it still is a pet peeve.**EDIT**
    Edited by Doctor_Demento on November 18, 2019 6:47PM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Testing mounts against other riders is not a conclusive way to test mount speed due to the latency you will inevitably experience when information is sent to your client from the server. I can be sitting in the same room with someone else playing ESO and I will see them on my screen running behind me, while on their screen it looks as though they are running in front of me. The mount is, in fact, running at the same speed- but what you see will vary.

The only way to test mount speed is to clock it yourself. And even then you may get subtle variables depending on internet connection, server latency, and other factors.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have done testing and he IS right. It is NOT a perceived difference in speed. It is a real one. Testing the mounts against other riders there IS a difference. Been here 5 years now and there IS a difference in speed. And there is difference in speed by type of mount on what terrain as well. And there is a difference in speed on travelling up and down stairs for instance. Some mounts do it much faster than others. So no, you can put all the "test results" you want to post up here. I have tested it myself against other riders and against my own mounts. There IS a difference is mount speeds. You can disagree if you like, that is your right. But I still disagree with you. It is something that has annoyed the hell out of me for years.

So which mounts are faster?

Would be really helpful for the rest of us if you could list them from fastest to slowest, based on your observations.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fyrakin's Minimap has a speedometer on it. Here is a video of me testing most of the different mount types. On my character they all have a max speed of about 267%. 100% being your normal run speed on foot. I dont own a kagouti and I missed the nix ox mount in the video but tested it and it is the same.

https://youtu.be/_fot0EgZ_hw
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZorroDeMar wrote: »

I'm not sure I trust your tests very much considering this topic has happened 100s of times over the years and been disproven every single time.
    Edited by lagrue on November 17, 2019 10:20PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that there could be apparent speed differences between different mounts caused by differences in how they react to the terrain, differences in how they jump, etc.

For example, some mounts will slow down markedly if they hit a small bump, while other mounts seem to just run right over those same bumps without missing a beat.

And if you race your mount toward the top of stairs-- that is, along level terrain approaching the stairs, such as by the pig farmer at the top of the stairs that go down to the guild traders in Daggerfall-- and then jump just as you reach the top of the stairs, some mounts remain airborne a little bit longer than others.

And yes, I realize that the precise timing of your leap-- that is, how close you are to the edge-- can make a difference in how far past the bottom of the stairs you are when your mount lands, but even so there is an observable difference in how long a given mount remains airborne.

And then there are differences in maneuverability when turning; some mounts seem to be able to turn on a dime, while others seem like they slip and slide when you try to turn them or stop them.

So even if the base speeds of all mounts are identical when riding in a straight line on completely flat terrain, the ways they differ with respect to the preceding situations might very well cause differences in the overall travel times.

But that's just my observation using a few different mounts, and I haven't done any carefully-controlled tests with all mounts.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭
    its a psychological thing. i feel like bears and guars run slow af but they actually run at the same speed
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope everyone noticed the thread started in 2018

😖
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    I hope everyone noticed the thread started in 2018

😖

Hah. Well, it's apparent no one (but thee and me) did.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should be the same for fairness but I agree that guars feel slower :D
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are all the same and until you can show some video evidence using the scientific method, this is all pointless speculation. Also, nice necro.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are all the same and until you can show some video evidence using the scientific method, this is all pointless speculation. Also, nice necro.
    Yes, simplest way is just to ride an straight line, Alkir is pretty flat and open so ride an significant distance between two locations.
    Now low mounts like senches and wolfs will feel faster because you are close to the ground.
    Many say they also handle better as in less chance of stutter and turn faster.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve tried most types of mount, and some just seem to run more smoothly. The Striped Senche seems to jump and accelerate more smoothly than any of the guar, bear or horse mounts. Their top speeds may be the same, but how they handle terrain is noticeably different to me.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    I’ve tried most types of mount, and some just seem to run more smoothly. The Striped Senche seems to jump and accelerate more smoothly than any of the guar, bear or horse mounts. Their top speeds may be the same, but how they handle terrain is noticeably different to me.

YES.
    I've also favored cat/senche mounts because they seem to handle all terrains well.
    Horses are absolutely terrible.
    Like you said, they may all reach the same top speeds, but different mount races tend to handle terrains differently.
    It's annoying.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I learned about different riding experience of different types of mounts in 2017 :'(

I have a video which shows all mount types and how they react to jumping/obstacles (except for spider/nix-ox type, but those mounts don't have any problem with terrains and jumping):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJs8AEIg6VA

Any horse/elk/indrik and guar/kagouti mounts will slow down after jumping/falling. So they might seem slower, but it's just their awful reaction to terrain.

It can be "fixed" if you cast Rapid Maneuver and hold spring button - only then they behave good on terrains.

This problem has not been actually fixed, so it's still relevant after all these years. Please, fix guar and horse based mounts, so that they don't slow down.
  • Doctor_Demento
    Doctor_Demento
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm OK funny thing. 2 days ago they patched the so called "perceived" speed difference. ALL of the mounts are now equal in speed and they are ALL fast now. So I guess they fixed that so called "perceived" speed. Must have used magic. Uh huh, lions and tigers and bears, oh my...oh look charts with circles and arrows explaining the "stats" that now work. Thank you ZOS.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the poster above pointed out in detail, mount speed is the same for all mounts. You can do some stuff to get a very slightly faster run speed mounted like CP's into a skill tree that at 120cp will give you 2% faster run speed, but that's about all you can do to change mount speed.

It is shocking how much the perceived difference is just based on animation though.