The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Make shields instacast but have them damage debuff the caster?

BergisMacBride
BergisMacBride
✭✭✭✭✭
I get where the Devs are coming from on the changes to shields, with their desire to balance damage vs. survivability. It’s pretty clear they don’t want stacked shields with unmitigated damage output. They are wedded to this concept and are going to implement it in some form or another. I just happen to disagree strongly with their proposed solution.

IMO, the cast time is the main issue. While it does meet their desired goal, it provides for clunky and frustrating gameplay in PVE and makes these spells essentially useless in most PVP instances.

IMO a more simple and straightforward approach would be to keep them instacast but have these spells apply a debuff to the caster such as maim, uncertainty and/or enervation to provide a trade off in terms of decreased damage. The strength and length of the debuff(s) could be adjusted as needed to reach a balance. You could even apply different debuffs to ward and harness which would provide more “strategic” choices for the caster.

This would preserve fluid gameplay where shields could be used effectively to provide survivability, although that would come at the measurable cost of reduced damage when used. It is also more intuitive, giving the player the choice between protection or taking the risk going unprotected for more damage. Furthermore , the current issues over interrupting the spell, casting in a laggy environment and the “actual” cast times would also go away.

I’m sorry if someone has posted this suggestion before - I really don’t have time to read all the bajillion posts on this subject, lol. Also, if I’m way off here or overlooked something, let me know. It won’t bother me, heh, I have no ego to bruise.
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure.... if cloak gets the same treatment
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making players weaker by their own action is something Zos abandoned long ago. This was most evident when they gave NBs a morph of siphoning attacks that did not reduce their weapon/spell damage.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing a sorcerer in PVE is already like having a damage debuff applied to the caster.
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite what forum whining kids claim, Magsorcs have the lowest constant damage atm and the lowest burst damage.
    Give them a debuff too, they would be OP