The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will you use empowerard ward after next patch?

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Does the longer duration help keep your pets alive?

Is 10% regain for 10 secs a good buff for the group?
  • SmackNCheese
    SmackNCheese
    ✭✭✭
    I will use the reorder character function to put my sorc in the trashcan. Hehexd.
    In all reality tho, the ward already falls off when you're taking a lot of heat so the extra duration and less shielding power is counterintuitive. One potential balance could be removing the battle spirit nerf to shields, making each shield cast feel more rewarding, but also rare.
    NA Mag Player
  • Nox_Noir
    Nox_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely hate cast times. They are probably the worst thing about ESO combat. If that cast time thing goes live, the skill will be dead to me.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you the class rep for sorc? If so, save us!!!
    Edited by akl77 on September 20, 2018 11:16PM
    Pc na
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nox_Noir wrote: »
    I absolutely hate cast times. They are probably the worst thing about ESO combat. If that cast time thing goes live, the skill will be dead to me.

Is there anything that would make the cast time worth it?
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »
    Are you the class rep for sorc? If so, save us!!!

We don't represent any certain class. It's just we have been more active collecting concerns for Sorcs as we can hear and feel your pain loud and clear.
    Edited by Tasear on September 20, 2018 11:18PM
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

NO! NO! NO! Cast time = dead in PVP. Its a stupid idea. It does nothing to even address the problem ZOS stated. It only adds and artificial delay to my reaction time. Its not fun!
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Imo, just nerf the shield amount, it’s far far too op, I can tank as a dps just with the shield, when stacking it’s unstoppable.
    So half the amount you can shield and no cast time cos it’s pure stupidity.
    Pc na
  • Nox_Noir
    Nox_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭

No, nothing, not for me, sorry. Completely unacceptable.

Would accept almost any other nerf but this. Reduction in efficiency, 1-2s delay after instant cast, whatever. Totally understand something needed to be changed about shields but cast time is the worst possible thing that could happen and a poor solution for the problem as well.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bardx86 wrote: »

NO! NO! NO! Cast time = dead in PVP. Its a stupid idea. It does nothing to even address the problem ZOS stated. It only adds and artificial delay to my reaction time. Its not fun!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5469409/#Comment_5469409

The reason I ask this is because you can see a Dev note. The cast time is unfortunately likely here for next patch.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually ZOS has done it once. With Channeled Acceleration. Triple the size of the shield and the duration and maybe, just maybe, the cast time might be worth it.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cast times are crap. They are not fun and in most cases just simply a pain in the rear.

I forego using Acceleration on my main when it benefits me more than Trap, just because the cast time is a pain to deal with. I'd rather lose the speed boost and continue to use a stam skill on a mag character because it makes combat more fluid and more fun.

Adding cast times to the shield make it a pain to use, and realistically will likely just make it more of a death trap to use than actually saving the caster.
    Edited by Sigtric on September 20, 2018 11:22PM

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Nox_Noir
    Nox_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5469409/#Comment_5469409

The reason I ask this is because you can see a Dev note. The cast time is unfortunately likely here for next patch.

Good luck in the upcoming meeting with them, you are our last hope in this madness.
    Please make them understand how hated cast times are because I don't think they get it.
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I read that. I've already cancelled my account. I will not play this game if this cast time crap is pushed thru. Might not even play if shields are critical-able.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the uselessness of the shield in vet trials like Vhrc last boss and VAA, healer s job will be much harder, and death will be everywhere. Or everyone will be playing stam with Vigor. 😂
    Pc na
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I won't use sorc after next patch DX
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I read that. I've already cancelled my account. I will not play this game if this cast time crap is pushed thru. Might not even play if shields are critical-able.

See here is the issue. Shield already sucked to use. Having to stack 2 shields that only last 6 secs just to stay alive was a bad mechanic. Now making it even harder on a Sorc to survive its just to much. It wasn't that much fun before the nerf and now its just stupid.
    Edited by bardx86 on September 20, 2018 11:35PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I currently use it in most group content, and in Magicka heavy trials (vAS and vCR) I try to pop it every 10s to give the group good Minor Intellect uptime. Giving up one skill out of 10 is worth it, but with the cast time this would become 2/10 and requires giving up too much in a DPS rotation.

The extended duration of the shield doesn’t even help with this, since the regen buff duration was not extended. If it takes 2 GCD’s and a skipped light attack to cast, then the duration of the buff needs to be more than doubled.

Additionally, the Warhorn toughness nerf means that Warden healers will be mandatory for a lot of content. This would be about equivalent making the Ebon set exclusive to DK tanks, RIP build diversity. As an effect, everyone will already have Minor Intellect from Warden heals so it will be redundant for Sorcerers to use Empowered Ward.

Last but not least, I cannot stand cast time skills. They completely break the flow of combat, and drain all the fun. I’ve never been able to really enjoy the Templar class because of all the cast time and channeled skills, and pet resummoning animations have been a strong deterrent for me running pet sorc or magwarden. Even the Psijic channeled acceleration is annoying to use IMO, and that one only needs to be cast every 36s, with low consequence if it drops off. Cast time on shields is an extremely bad idea that I am 100% opposed to.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on September 20, 2018 11:38PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

See here is the issue. Shield already sucked to use. Having to stack 2 shields that only last 6 secs just to stay alive was a bad mechanic. Now making it even harder on a Sorc to survive its just to much. It wasn't that much fun before the nerf and now its just stupid.

I noted this down for the other class reps and potentially the devs to see. That's 2 bars slots just to defend.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I currently use it in most group content, and in Magicka heavy trials (vAS and vCR) I try to pop it every 10s to give the group good Minor Intellect uptime. Giving up one skill out of 10 is worth it, but with the cast time this would become 2/10 and requires giving up too much in a DPS rotation.

The extended duration of the shield doesn’t even help with this, since the regen buff duration was not extended. If it takes 2 GCD’s and a skipped light attack to cast, then the duration of the buff needs to be more than doubled.

Additionally, the Warhorn toughness nerf means that Warden healers will be mandatory for a lot of content. This would be about equivalent making the Ebon set exclusive to DK tanks, RIP build diversity. As an effect, everyone will already have Minor Intellect from Warden heals so it will be redundant for Sorcerers to use Empowered Ward.

Last but not least, I cannot stand cast time skills. They completely break the flow of combat, and drain all the fun. I’ve never been able to really enjoy the Templar class because of all the cast time and channeled skills, and pet resummoning animations have been a strong deterrent for me running pet sorc or magwarden. Even the Psijic channeled acceleration is annoying to use IMO, and that one only needs to be cast every 36s, with low consequence if it drops off. Cast time on shields is an extremely bad idea that I am 100% opposed to.

So potentially a longer duration could make up for losts?
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I noted this down for the other class reps and potentially the devs to see. That's 2 bars slots just to defend.

You only noted this down?? Why??
    You cannot see any other good points and arguments we’re making?
    Also the developers already know people shield stack in PvP, that’s why the now nerf it with cast time, why reinforce their idea more??
    Edited by akl77 on September 20, 2018 11:45PM
    Pc na
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »

You only noted this down?? Why??
    You cannot see any other good points and arguments we’re making?

We have already had the other points listed.
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its 3 if you count healing ward
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Understood
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably won't play my sorc very much
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Understood

This bigger issue is with the new 1 sec cast time, you are looking at 4-5 sec just to setup an adequate defense. No one can survive that long in PVP.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Understood

This bigger issue is with the new 1 sec cast time, you are looking at 4-5 sec just to setup an adequate defense. No one can survive that long in PVP.

I see your point. I will bring this along with all the other information with others.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So potentially a longer duration could make up for losts?

On paper, a change to maybe 25-30s of Minor Intellect would counterbalance that one aspect of the nerf. In practice, I will not be using a cast time ability because it is not fun for me. A late defense is no defense.

From a cast time standpoint it’s reminiscent of the whole “heavy attacks online” issue after Morrowind. Sustain hasnt gotten better since then, it’s just that heavy attacks were made so much worse that everyone had to sacrifice stats for regen (in part causing Magicka to rely on shields, since regen food gives less health). If we wanted slow, animation-heavy combat, there are plenty of other games that offer it. ESO is unique in its exciting fast-paced fights.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on September 21, 2018 12:12AM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for an ability like a damage shield.

Cast times are only worth it for abilities where you can pick and choose exactly when to fit them in depending on what's going on. In other words, for abilities where you can say "that's OK, I won't cast this right now because it's a dangerous time to get caught in the middle of a cast time" without ending up immediately dead because you didn't cast it.

Look at Crystal Blast: that ability can afford to have a cast time because you can choose not to cast it when it would be dangerous to do so. Choosing not to cast it just means that you won't be doing that damage right now. And even with that, nobody who knows what they're doing uses that morph: instead they use Frags, and only when it procs so that it's an instant cast.

I'm not saying that magicka sorcs won't be able to survive because of adding a cast time to this. I'm saying that magicka sorcs will stop using any damage shields with cast times, because it will be far too niche to ever be worth putting on your bar.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need to double down on other buffs. Here's my list after discussing with Rinaldo the PTS changes:
    - Dark Deal needs to be on par with warden netch, NB siphoning strikes, and new stamplar rune. Could make it so its instant cast, grants x resources over y time and at intervals add back burst resources. Keep the heal the same (on cast). Make one morph give stamina and the other mag. Balance the resources so it basically adds up to 350-400 effective regen.
    - Surge needs to return back to giving healing based off a percentage of the damage done.
    - add some healing passives if surge doesn't change to the above suggestion
    - streak to have it's cost increase mechanic removed.
    - mines to be cheaper.

That might make up for the cast time changes.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this is a "support only" ability now, so for sorc healers.

The tank can't use it and I think dps will be better off with boundless storm for the mitigation. Take less damage and rely on your healers.