The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do MagDKs still run Rearming Trap in their rotation? (PvE)

Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
I know they changed how off-balance works, so I was wondering if any magDKs in edgame PvE still run rearming for the powerlash procs (or other reason?). And if not, is it better to go molten over flame lash for the spell damage to embers, standard, and engulfing flames?

And if not rearming trap, what is now the generally accepted replacement for that bar slot?

Best Answer

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still run for the Minor Force buff yes.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
    Answer ✓
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    Sparr0w wrote: »

Awesome, thanks! How about whip, do PvE mDKs still use lash, or have a lot moved to molten?
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lash afaik, had a quick look on Alcast's site & he still recommends lash.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depending on the fight I use Channeled Acceleration instead.
    Playing since beta...
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    Depending on the fight I use Channeled Acceleration instead.

Nah I prefer trap, play melee anyway & every bit of sustain helps.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use trap and molten whip. Lash isn't worth it anymore, imo.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • BeefyMrTips
    BeefyMrTips
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mag DK is fun, I just wish they didn't take up a stamina slot in trials.. Id run trap if I were you
    Mr. was my Father's name, just the tips is fine.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, with old gear im just behind stamina builds.

Not everyone runs them, they are "bad" in pve and pvp as melee.

Been like this since "Eso 2.0" in update 6.
    Edited by ZoM_Head on August 29, 2018 7:07PM
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO

oof, this makes me sad. I understand the stigma around mDKs taking up a melee spot and not being capable of dealing as much DPS as a stamblade, but does this aversion to mDKs appear in all engame content, or just the newer (more range-focused) trials? By which I mean, is it just the top score-pushers that will keep out mDKs, or is it generally accepted across the board for all trials that mDK is obsolete?

And if nobody truly wants us, does ZOS know about this, and/or have any intention of upping the viability of magDK DPS in PvE? Or at least implementing some kind of creative way to encourage trial groups to have a few melee mag spots (aside from damage output, as their usual prescription for "balance" is just nerfing)?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

oof, this makes me sad. I understand the stigma around mDKs taking up a melee spot and not being capable of dealing as much DPS as a stamblade, but does this aversion to mDKs appear in all engame content, or just the newer (more range-focused) trials? By which I mean, is it just the top score-pushers that will keep out mDKs, or is it generally accepted across the board for all trials that mDK is obsolete?

And if nobody truly wants us, does ZOS know about this, and/or have any intention of upping the viability of magDK DPS in PvE? Or at least implementing some kind of creative way to encourage trial groups to have a few melee mag spots (aside from damage output, as their usual prescription for "balance" is just nerfing)?

I'm sure groups will always push for more meta setups, but only top groups would restrict your ability to choose magdk. That being said, to call the combat team in this game incompetent would be an understatement. It would be grounds for dismissal in any real world scenario where a team could botch up class balance so much that a single class dominates the dps scene as it does now. We can only hope that they display a shred of intelligence and change the status quo for the next DLC...
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »

Awesome, thanks! How about whip, do PvE mDKs still use lash, or have a lot moved to molten?
    It’s not a huge DPS difference between the two. I use lash for the free cast.
    vFG1 HM
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why Rearming trap but no Psijic skill?
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »

The psijic skill costs magika which will negatively effect your sustain
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »

Rearming costs stamina so it’s almost a free cast on a mag character
    vFG1 HM
  • pteam
    pteam
    ✭✭✭
    Yea but also keep in mind rearming trap only last 12 seconds so you have to keep recasting it which is a skill you could have used to cast another flame whip or something else instead. Channeled acceleration lasts 36 seconds.
    The Flawless Conqueror
    Xbox NA - its pteam

Completed vDSA - vHRC HM - vAA HM - vSO HM - vMoL - vHoF HM - vCR +1 - vMA Flawless 585k - vAS +2 HM
  • Cybercore_Death
    Cybercore_Death
    ✭✭✭
    Hey OP

Since the change to off balance i don't run a whip build anymore. Just doesn't feel right. I did try using Molten instead of Lash but wasn't happen with the setup all round. I also tried Alcasts build, but again it just doesn't sit well with me.

Instead i run a non meta setup now and the build and rotation is heavy attack based. I find it works and flows a lot better. I used to use Trap but since Psijic skill line launched i now use Channelled instead and find it works really well.

I can pull 40k easily with vMA and around 35k without. Posted link to my build for you to see what you think (build details in description). Since the Wolfhunter DLC i've tested and found it's still a viable setup and results are pretty much the same. I still need to update the CP's for it though, and i now use Nirn on the front bar instead. (those are the only things out of date on the description).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h92S0f9Sipg&feature=youtu.be
    I'm a Dunmer DK Damage Dealer - My that's a lot of D's