The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagDK or Magplar, which is preferred for runs? (pve)

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
With Magplar dps getting up to pretty decent numbers (have seen over 50k) what are people looking for for dungeons and the like, Magplar or MagDk? I ask since both are "melee" just curious as to which leads the pack in terms of dps and whatever else. I haven't seen any recent dps numbers for MagDK which is why I am wondering where they are currently, from those who test such things
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MagDK can do more DPS and has less problems in general. So generally prefer MagDK over Magplar.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    MagDK can do more DPS and has less problems in general. So generally prefer MagDK over Magplar.

can you elaborate on "problems"? ;)
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magplar is definitely better because they can play ranged with Elemental Weapon, their DoTs are also ranged. MagDK is forced into melee range and most likely won't be able to be comfortable with any mechanics that favour ranged builds. Especially when you look at new trials, you have a lot more chance to be accepted as a Magplar than a MagDK just because of the range advantage. So yeah, I highly recommend going with Magplar.

Keep in mind that, Magblade outperforms Magplar in range and Stamblade outperforms MagDK in melee. So both your choices are not really suitable for end-game stuff. If you are looking into 4 man dungeons, it doesn't matter what you play but still being able to play ranged will show the noticable advantages in no time.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for that @Liofa ! yea, I wont be doing any end game crazy speed run kind of stuff so good points on the ranged issue. I was wondering that. Hate to put effort into a class/build only to find it would have been better spent on another. ;)
    And yes, am fully aware of how NB's own in both but not a huge fan of the class due to heavy lag issues affecting gameplay, and was never a fan of roguey types...lol. Cheers!
    Edited by Joxer61 on August 21, 2018 12:36PM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    FakeFox wrote: »

can you elaborate on "problems"? ;)

Magplar is more reliant on perfect circumstances to perform good. Especially the sustain is very limited and unflexible. If the support is bad or you run dry early for whatever reason you have a hard time recovering. This is because Magplar only relies on pots and regen and has a rotation that gives very little time for heavy attacks and alike. MagDK is very flexible in that regard and can adjust well to the amount of support.
    With the heavy focus on jesusbeam with wolfhunter Magplar also relies a lot on a smooth execute phase for high DPS. Which can of course screw you over completely if execute goes bad or you run dry.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as you meet the requirements for the raid group you want to join, pick the one that makes you happy.

Both have sustain problems, but like Liofa said at least Templar allows for you to be at a range.
    Playing since beta...
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magplar is substantially easier, but because of this I prefer magDK. I'm just too bored otherwise.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    Magplar is substantially easier, but because of this I prefer magDK. I'm just too bored otherwise.

Does MagDK do enough dps to warrant taking a stam spot? I guess that's the big hurdle maybe?
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Does MagDK do enough dps to warrant taking a stam spot? I guess that's the big hurdle maybe?

Yes, unless competing with a Stamblade.

I would love to post a few parses, but image upload is as always not working. We have a MagDK in a vHOF group currently pulling comparable DPS to Staminas.
    Edited by FakeFox on August 22, 2018 10:07AM
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In a normal trial or just a vanilla vet run, yes. If you're looking for leaderboards, no.

I've been told by a few folks in game that there is a limit to how far I can take my magDK, and it is a bit of a pain when I sign up because I take a stam spot. Being in melee range isn't great because I have light armor on and don't have the stamina for several dodge rolls.

I can't speak to magplars as DD's but as a magDK, there's a definite limit to what a group will accept, even if you are able to hit for 39/40k like Xynode for instance, you'll still be outperformed by a stamblade.

I love my magDK and will run him for everything I can get in to but I do have a magblade waiting to be brought up to speed for the times when I want to start getting a bit froggy and play with the big boys.

As far as sustain goes on a magDK, you can run BSW with Destruction Mastery that does help boost your max magicka (and therefore damage as well) and helps you fend off the drain DK's have through their rotation, which is my biggest struggle right now and I sit at 41-42k mag in my trial spec.
    Edited by boombazookajd on August 22, 2018 1:32PM
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

In a normal trial or just a vanilla vet run, yes. If you're looking for leaderboards, no.

I've been told by a few folks in game that there is a limit to how far I can take my magDK, and it is a bit of a pain when I sign up because I take a stam spot. Being in melee range isn't great because I have light armor on and don't have the stamina for several dodge rolls.

I can't speak to magplars as DD's but as a magDK, there's a definite limit to what a group will accept, even if you are able to hit for 39/40k like Xynode for instance, you'll still be outperformed by a stamblade.

I love my magDK and will run him for everything I can get in to but I do have a magblade waiting to be brought up to speed for the times when I want to start getting a bit froggy and play with the big boys.

As far as sustain goes on a magDK, you can run BSW with Destruction Mastery that does help boost your max magicka (and therefore damage as well) and helps you fend off the drain DK's have through their rotation, which is my biggest struggle right now and I sit at 41-42k mag in my trial spec.

Most good MagDKs is know are playing with Balance (Mages Guild) for sustain at the moment and can go without additional regen. It works pretty well and DK can do it without problems as you are somewhat tanky and have the selfheal to do it even with subpar healers.

And I don't want to be insulting but there are MagDKs that do considerably more DPS then Xynode does. I've quickly looked over his guide for Summerset and seen a bit over 40k with support on the dummy. MagDKs I know have pulled around 50k selfbuffed in Summerset.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would be hard pressed to find a melee spot as a magdk because so many play stam, but a good magplar can match an above average nb. Ofc a good nb will beat a magplar...