The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you "turtle up" with stamplar in no CP?

Valabrog
Valabrog
✭✭✭
They say turtle up...Yea, sure.

Dw/2h. I find it impossible without LoS. If you go against someone who is decent in 1v1, I cant understand how to survive his onslaught: immovable, vigor, rally, cleanse, rune, vigor, cleanse - I usually get more damage than I can heal and even if his resources are down and he stops for a second, my health is too low to go full offensive - ultimate + execute is enough to low me down during my very first burst.

Im asking because I see how others turtle against me when Im going full offensive and that works for them really well - they usually are full health when I finish my burst and I have barely enough resources/will to survive theirs. I can understand healers or tanks doing that, but dds...

I like dds who start to run away when I come closer with my jabs and potl - some javelin in the back along with spin2win works perfect. Everyone should act like that - I like to kill people and go away with a high score. How dare they stop and fight me back!

Seriously, people, tell that there is a simple trick how to properly turtle up. Is that a troll king?

BS/Ravager/Bone pirate, 5/2.
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't turtle up with a stamplar, especially not with 2h+DW.
    If you run that setup you need to be the one that forces people to go defensive not the other way around as you are at a disadvantage when doing so.

If you want to turtle up on a stamplar you have to run 1h&s+2h with lingering health potions and preferably trollking as well, but you still need LoS because templar has no chance of getting enough stamina back while blocking.

Do you run medium or heavy, how much health do you have, how much resistances do you have before BS procs?
    Edited by BohnT on August 20, 2018 9:11PM
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troll king would help obviously. But i find it hard to turtle up when playing stamplar. You don't have the right kit to do so unlike stamden and dk, or even stamsorc. Dodging and sprinting works better. Try to use vigor on cooldown. You can probably wear impregnable set with some wellfitted coupled with impen or maybe 1h&s with sturdy, though this one will rekt your stamina.

In general i dont like how stamplar plays in defensive. Templar toolkit works much better in mag builds which is why i switched. And it was a big improvement. Damage-wise it is literally same plus you get ranged spammable unlike dw/2h setup. Demigod tankiness with pirate skelly and blockcasting with shield etc. All around big quality increase, i recommend.

Edited by Soris on August 20, 2018 10:39AM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Valabrog
    Valabrog
    ✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »
    If you run that setup you need to be the one that forces people to go defensive not the other way around as you aren't at a disadvantage when doing so.

If you want to turtle up on a stamplar you have to run 1h&s+2h with lingering health potions and preferably trollking as well, but you still need LoS because templar has no chance of getting enough stamina back while blocking.

Do you run medium or heavy, how much health do you have, how much resistances do you have before BS procs?

Yea, thing is, deep in my heart, i have suspected that stamplar do not turtle :D I run 5 medium 2 heavy - with this i have pretty decent regen and weapon dmg. HP ~21k in BG. 16/13 k resistances + rune all the time, so usually ~22/19k. I hate shuffle visual, so I cleanse my roots and slows usually and, well, at least I never die because of minor ccs - most of my deaths in 1 on 1 combat are the same 2 scenarios:

a) Im hard pressuring someone and my health very very slowly goes down along with it - it feels like 1 or 2 more jabs and it will be over and I dont have to to vigor, because the target is so almost dead that every second of offensive matters, I mash my buttons like mad..BAM. I lie dead.
    b) 1 vs X, when Im fighting a guy and another enemy shows up - I try to finish the first before my death and that never happens on time.

The classes which turtles against me the most are magdk and magplar. I dont have any problems with nbs or magsorcs, I mean if I survive first 3 seconds I usually win or they escape.

• Valabrog
    Valabrog
    ✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    Troll king would help obviously. But i find it hard to turtle up when playing stamplar. You don't have the right kit to do so unlike stamden and dk, or even stamsorc. Dodging and sprinting works better. Try to use vigor on cooldown. You can probably wear impregnable set with some wellfitted coupled with impen or maybe 1h&s with sturdy, though this one will rekt your stamina.

In general i dont like how stamplar plays in defensive. Templar toolkit works much better in mag builds which is why i switched. And it was a big improvement. Damage-wise it is literally same plus you get ranged spammable unlike dw/2h setup. Demigod tankiness with pirate skelly and blockcasting with shield etc. All around big quality increase, i recommend.

Never tried a troll king..maybe its about time..
    I played 2h/shield for sometime, used some blocking here and there, but with dw if I block for more than a sec my stamina runs dry. Overall damage and offensive variety with potl burst under bloodcraze and spint2win is so superior in compare to 2h/snb that Im not going back..
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from crit resist (most players have 60-70% crit DMG and in some cases can get 40%+ crit chance so it's like they never left CP), the best defense would be an offense coordinated around your teammates.

Otherwise I've found that you need to get your offense buffs first, then sustain, then defense in stamplar. In some cases that means getting penetration from a set, then almost using bone pirate/repentance, and getting snb backbar.

For me, I really like using engine guardian. It gives you a health proc similar of not better than troll king to help keep you on the offensive but it also gives you back stamina/mag; even with 1900 Regen I'm starving for EG is a nice set to help supplement. Then you kinda have to use shuffle; it helps remove all immobilze/snares letting your purge catch the nasty debuffs that hit your stamplar the hardest. And I don't use forward momentum, the rally burst heal is clutch on stamplar running medium due to the extra crit chance.

And of course LOS/dodge roll animation cancel purge to avoid snare debuffs from instant cast spells. Only salty duelers don't use LOS lol
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You dont. If you’re playing stamplar the way it’s meant to be played, you make proper use of positioning and LoS to play to the strength of the class, which is overwhelming offensive pressure. Funnel ppl into your jabs or only engage with the intent to kill. If you want to turtle, play a different class like a stamden or stam dk.

On stamplar, offense is the best defense. Use your damage as a deterrent and remember that you’re the one meant to apply the pressure, not take it. A stamplar that has lost control of the fight and is spending more time under pressure than delivering it is one that is gonna run out of resources and die.
    Edited by CyrusArya on August 20, 2018 1:45PM
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^

I run Werewolf on my Stamplar. So if I get into situations where there is no LoS, I have enough tankyness to survive using Ritual and having Chudan up. I also run Quick Cloak which lets me LoS simply by getting out of the max range of the ability they're using.

Once Werewolf pops tho, it's all offense.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valabrog wrote: »
    If you run that setup you need to be the one that forces people to go defensive not the other way around as you aren't at a disadvantage when doing so.

Yea, thing is, deep in my heart, i have suspected that stamplar do not turtle :D I run 5 medium 2 heavy - with this i have pretty decent regen and weapon dmg. HP ~21k in BG. 16/13 k resistances + rune all the time, so usually ~22/19k. I hate shuffle visual, so I cleanse my roots and slows usually and, well, at least I never die because of minor ccs - most of my deaths in 1 on 1 combat are the same 2 scenarios:

a) Im hard pressuring someone and my health very very slowly goes down along with it - it feels like 1 or 2 more jabs and it will be over and I dont have to to vigor, because the target is so almost dead that every second of offensive matters, I mash my buttons like mad..BAM. I lie dead.
    b) 1 vs X, when Im fighting a guy and another enemy shows up - I try to finish the first before my death and that never happens on time.

The classes which turtles against me the most are magdk and magplar. I dont have any problems with nbs or magsorcs, I mean if I survive first 3 seconds I usually win or they escape.

Might just be me but you gotta keep shuffle up in medium imo. Shuffle sucks for immunity but you do dodge a lot of incoming damage.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im asking because I see how others turtle against me when Im going full offensive and that works for them really well - they usually are full health when I finish my burst and I have barely enough resources/will to survive theirs. I can understand healers or tanks doing that, but dds...

If they're turtling JUST your burst (PotL+Dawnbreaker and jabs, I assume), it's not *that* hard. Any class can block for 3 seconds with HoTs ticking and seem kinda tanky. Potion use and troll king also can play a part.

If they are turtling your burst AND your sustained damage while dealing damage, that's something else--but that's not really part of the medium stamplar toolkit, especially not while channelling jabs.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Valabrog
    Valabrog
    ✭✭✭

If they're turtling JUST your burst (PotL+Dawnbreaker and jabs, I assume), it's not *that* hard. Any class can block for 3 seconds with HoTs ticking and seem kinda tanky. Potion use and troll king also can play a part.

If they are turtling your burst AND your sustained damage while dealing damage, that's something else--but that's not really part of the medium stamplar toolkit, especially not while channelling jabs.

The first one..And its not the stamplar who do that :) Other classes..But yea, mostly my burst. When i do the, im still half dead after attack
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^

I run Werewolf on my Stamplar. So if I get into situations where there is no LoS, I have enough tankyness to survive using Ritual and having Chudan up. I also run Quick Cloak which lets me LoS simply by getting out of the max range of the ability they're using.

Thought you were @TheDoomsdayMonster for a sec
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    They say turtle up...Yea, sure.

Dw/2h. I find it impossible without LoS. If you go against someone who is decent in 1v1, I cant understand how to survive his onslaught: immovable, vigor, rally, cleanse, rune, vigor, cleanse - I usually get more damage than I can heal and even if his resources are down and he stops for a second, my health is too low to go full offensive - ultimate + execute is enough to low me down during my very first burst.

I like dds who start to run away when I come closer with my jabs and potl - some javelin in the back along with spin2win works perfect. Everyone should act like that - I like to kill people and go away with a high score. How dare they stop and fight me back!

Seriously, people, tell that there is a simple trick how to properly turtle up. Is that a troll king?

BS/Ravager/Bone pirate, 5/2.
    You don't. Especially not in todays meta. You will get sloaded rune caged and bled. They destroyed the tank meta. Learn to stealth.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just switched to heavy impregnable and I'm still dead in seconds in BG. Can't see any improvement over medium armour just DPS and run speed loss
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    I've just switched to heavy impregnable and I'm still dead in seconds in BG. Can't see any improvement over medium armour just DPS and run speed loss

Impreg and resists aren't going to make you invincible but sustain+LOS will give you the scenarios to survive. Also having the damage to take advantage of your enemy will help too, MA lets you have that since you get sustain bonuses to slot damage sets.

The difference between MA and HA is probably around than 4% total mitigation for the resists? But then again with MA you get 12% weapon damage, 8% crit chance, 20% stamina recov , skill+dodge roll stamina cost reduction versus HA's extra resists, 8% healing, small recovery based on heavy attacks and being hit, with health recovery and extra health.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • worsttankever
    worsttankever
    ✭✭✭

^^^^

I run Stamplar 5 heavy 2 medium. Sword & Shield / Dual Wield. Reinforced chest, defending sword and shield. I “turtle” on sword and shield bar with Unstoppable (heavy armor skill), Ritual of Retribution, Remembrance ult, blocking and heals. Also Heroic Slash with minor maim. On my dual weild bar I go Werewolf for offense.

I’m on PS4, so still taking advantage of legacy Hircine’s Rage boosted by Pelinial’s for awesome heals. When Wolfhunter hits I’ll probably switch to Shacklebreaker.
    Edited by worsttankever on August 21, 2018 1:12AM
    Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^

Thought you were @TheDoomsdayMonster for a sec

How do you know he's not me!????

;,,,,;
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of my deaths result fro staying aggressive and missing keeping my HOTs and Buffs up and help comes for my target who turtles up. Or; refreshing those allowing the pressure to be turned on me.

Medium seems better than heavy now with the chance to passively dodge Sloads and Rune Cage. Then bleeds and Sloads ignore heavy armor. We also now have a pretty efficient defense in restoring focus that more than makes up for resistance and healing loss. Need all the sustain I can get. I actually run Bloodspawn over troll king myself for the stam recovery and I like to get DBOS up quickly. I run werewolf front bar for extra stamina recovery as well as I run 1h shield there for now, staying a little tankier but might switch that for the raw damage of 2h.

Now also need some swift jewelry
    Edited by technohic on August 21, 2018 8:29PM
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^

I run Stamplar 5 heavy 2 medium. Sword & Shield / Dual Wield. Reinforced chest, defending sword and shield. I “turtle” on sword and shield bar with Unstoppable (heavy armor skill), Ritual of Retribution, Remembrance ult, blocking and heals. Also Heroic Slash with minor maim. On my dual weild bar I go Werewolf for offense.

I’m on PS4, so still taking advantage of legacy Hircine’s Rage boosted by Pelinial’s for awesome heals. When Wolfhunter hits I’ll probably switch to Shacklebreaker.

:o

Ooo, hmm. I like your build on paper, I can definitely see where you are coming from here. This is a neat play style.

On my Stamplar build tho, I really prefer that extra mobility with Quick Cloak/Forward Momentum/Shuffle. It's just one of those things where, I can do more with the toon moving around. Granted, I do have a StamDK who I've built some-what similarly to your gear load out. But I really prefer having all of the extra tanky abilities that comes with StamdK, like Wings, to really annoy the opponent at multiple ranges. With my Stamplar, I really enjoy using a speed pot/Quick Cloak and just scuttle away behind some LoS. :D

On my Stamplar, I've already taken her into BGs and Cyro to see WW before the patch hits console. It's a pretty good setup already, and will be better after Wolfhunter drops. Since she is my first WW toon I took into PvP, I am excited to try something really different.
  • worsttankever
    worsttankever
    ✭✭✭
    @Takes-No-Prisoner Check out the Immovable/Unstoppable skill from heavy armor. I tried my stamplar in medium with Shuffle and switched over.

Also, specifically because I’m running a hybrid build (Pelinial’s), I put Hasty Prayer on my dual wield bar for group mobility. Eg when we storm a keep and make a run for the back flag.

I love using Unstoppable in the same situation - or when rezzing teammates. Let’s you dictate a 5 second window with no interruptions.
    Edited by worsttankever on August 21, 2018 2:18PM
    Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour.
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purify, vigor, buff, attack.
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole