The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can you animation cancel steel tornado?

generalmyrick
generalmyrick
✭✭✭✭✭

because....wow.
"The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes though on xbox pvp lag makes it harder than it should be.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sort of.

There’s a weird single target check to steel tornado. If you animation cancel it with nobody targeted, or if you animation cancel it without LoS on your targeted person, then it’ll get cancelled and vanish similar to how DBoS can vanish.

It’s an interesting skill with some weird quirks.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭

because....wow.

Tap bash or block and the daggers will fly but you character will not do the spin. You can also roll to ani-cancel it.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always blocked or dodged to cancel steel tornado.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Irrelevant. Its an instant cast ability. The animation is masked without a target in some cases but that is completely inconsequential. Once you cast it, targets in applicable range will take the damage, regardless of whether you block or bar swap right after.

Regardless of whether or not your character stops spinning, you arent going to be able to cast another skill for 1 second. So unless you actually have to block or roll dodge something incoming, all you are doing is stunting your stamina regen.
    Edited by exeeter702 on August 11, 2018 7:44PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

because....wow.

You can animation cancel anything. :|
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can animation cancel anything beside channels (dark exchange, templar execute just to mention a few)
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Irrelevant. Its an instant cast ability. The animation is masked without a target in some cases but that is completely inconsequential. Once you cast it, targets in applicable range will take the damage, regardless of whether you block or bar swap right after.

Regardless of whether or not your character stops spinning, you arent going to be able to cast another skill for 1 second. So unless you actually have to block or roll dodge something incoming, all you are doing is stunting your stamina regen.

I wish this was true. This is how it SHOULD be. But after a lot of testing I can confirm that it’s not how it is on live atm.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

I wish this was true. This is how it SHOULD be. But after a lot of testing I can confirm that it’s not how it is on live atm.

In what way have you find this to not be the case? Damage is not delivered at different times based on whether or not you block clancel the recovery animation. That is a common misconception. Scrolling combat text is coded to display based on how the attack animates. An easy way to test this in game is with twin slashes. It is an instant cast ability and thus resolves instantly when the criteria ks met for using it on a target.

If you let the animation play out, you will see 2 separate instances of damage in line with the way the attack animates, onefor the firsr stab and then a subsequent number for the outward slash. If you immediately block cancel it, the 2 damage values are displayed simultaneously which would indicate the second tick of damage is being delivered sooner but in reality that is false. This has no bearing on the recipient based solely around how these types of online mmos work server side. Instant cast abilities resolve instantly server side, any player agency after the fact has no bearing on that claculation. It just looks that way client side.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In what way have you find this to not be the case? Damage is not delivered at different times based on whether or not you block clancel the recovery animation. That is a common misconception. Scrolling combat text is coded to display based on how the attack animates. An easy way to test this in game is with twin slashes. It is an instant cast ability and thus resolves instantly when the criteria ks met for using it on a target.

If you let the animation play out, you will see 2 separate instances of damage in line with the way the attack animates, onefor the firsr stab and then a subsequent number for the outward slash. If you immediately block cancel it, the 2 damage values are displayed simultaneously which would indicate the second tick of damage is being delivered sooner but in reality that is false. This has no bearing on the recipient based solely around how these types of online mmos work server side. Instant cast abilities resolve instantly server side, any player agency after the fact has no bearing on that claculation. It just looks that way client side.
    I doubt he will ever confirm in any sort of reproducible or verifiable way. People have been claiming stuff like this forever. "Trust me, I tested things a lot..." :|
    Edited by kadar on August 12, 2018 12:27AM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I was talking about some bugs that cause the whirlwind to not do damage at all. I wasn’t talking about the timing of the dmg.

I doubt he will ever confirm in any sort of reproducible or verifiable way. People have been claiming stuff like this forever. "Trust me, I tested things a lot..." :|

I have confirmed that and tested it. Watch my video on vanishing dawnbreakers. The reason for the vanish is due to the delay between activation and the duration of the animation. Animation cancelling it avoids causing the DB to vanish.

This is pretty easily reproducible stuff.

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sort of.

There’s a weird single target check to steel tornado. If you animation cancel it with nobody targeted, or if you animation cancel it without LoS on your targeted person, then it’ll get cancelled and vanish similar to how DBoS can vanish.

But the damage to the target will still be registered server-side, I'm guessing? Just desynced to the clients, similar to the vanishing DBoS issue?
    Edited by TheYKcid on August 12, 2018 5:34AM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    Sort of.

But the damage to the target will still be registered server-side, I'm guessing? Just desynced to the clients, similar to the vanishing DBoS issue?

Well I guess it depends on how you animation cancel it. I’ll try to test it more but I’ve had issues with it vanishing entirely. The desync only happens if cloak is involved in between the start of the animation and when the dmg lands.

• kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I was talking about some bugs that cause the whirlwind to not do damage at all. I wasn’t talking about the timing of the dmg.

I have confirmed that and tested it. Watch my video on vanishing dawnbreakers. The reason for the vanish is due to the delay between activation and the duration of the animation. Animation cancelling it avoids causing the DB to vanish.

Oh I don't know anything at all about that. The comment of yours I saw was vague so I thought you were talking about the other guy's reference to the Global Cooldown, my bad. Maybe I've been reading too many AC threads lately...
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I don't know anything at all about that. The comment of yours I saw was vague so I thought you were talking about the other guy's reference to the Global Cooldown, my bad. Maybe I've been reading too many AC threads lately...

I read it the same tbh.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I read it the same tbh.

Let me be more specific: if you swap cancel it without block cancelling first, there are situations in which this will cause the attack to not do any damage at all. Block cancelling does have a purpose on many AOE and pbaoe abilities, predominantly because in addition to a server-side to-hit check, there is also a hidden client-side to-hit check, and block cancelling the ability is a great way to force both of them to happen as closely together as possible.

I just tried to log on make a video to demonstrate but t he servers are down, rip.