The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trying To Figure Out A Dragonknight Build

Yzalirk
Yzalirk
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I am having some trouble with trying to make a Dragonknight Tank build that utilizes some Magic skills to deal some damage. I like using the Fire abilities but I enjoy Tanking. Is there any way I can merge the two to play as a bit of an Offensive Tank?

I also prefer One Hand & Shield for Tanking. One of my problems is allocating Attribute points. I am not sure if I should dump them into Magicka or Stamina. Same with Champion Points.

This feels very overwhelming trying to figure out. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could take a look at clever alchemist with all infused potion cooldown jewelry enchants and being an argonian. The health set bonuses will make you a little beefier, with potion cd reduction you’ll be able to keep the big spell dmg buff up pretty regularly, and you shouldn’t really have sustain issues because of the argonian passives.

Really, a full magdk dps build could “tank” most of the content in this game if you slap a taunt on it. So alternatively you could start there, and then only make as many edits to it as are needed to meet your standard of tanking (e.g., I want to use snb so I’ll swap the staff out for that; I want to debuff enemies so I’ll swap out the flame enchant for crusher; I need more health and stamina so I’ll run lower magicka and switch to tristat food, etc.).
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try something like this.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=77503

Few notes:

- You can swap Domihaus for Grothdar if you are willing to sacrifice 1k Stamina and gain some cool flames instead of Spell Damage.
    - You can swap Flames of Oblivion for Innerlight if you want more AOE DPS instead of single target.
    - Argonian will have much better sustain but your damage will be a lot lower compared to Dark Elf.
    - Can swap some jewelry enchants for block cost reduction if you want but you'll be sacrificing damage.
    - Make sure to refresh Burning Embers after casting Balance to regain the Health you spent on it.
    Edited by Liofa on July 31, 2018 9:44PM
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are going to need both Magicka and Stamina. I would say you probably want around 15k-20k stamina to make this work. I would try to get your health at around 30k (or maybe more) and put whatever else you have into magicka.

Consider Fortified Brass or Armor Master crafted in light armor. As a tank, you need resistances, but 5pc light armor goes a long way towards getting the damage that you need, so these crafted sets let you do both. In the past, I put together a light armor mag DK tank with 5xArmor Master, 5x Bloodthorn and a 2pc monster set (can't remember which). I put the character build together, but only played it a few times. Skill slots will be at a premium for this build, as there are a lot of skills you need for tanking and only a few flex spots for damage dealing. You might consider the Chudan monster set to save you a skill slot on volatile/hardened armor. If I did this again, I would also probably choose fortified brass over armor master. I didn't have this choice back when I tried this, though.
    Edited by TheStealthDude on July 31, 2018 10:01PM