The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do you become successful in the Alliance War

BozzyTheDrummer
BozzyTheDrummer
✭✭✭✭
I guess I am generally asking, what are you supposed to do?

I port in, I find a group of my alliance at whatever keep they are at, and I do everything I can to help (sometimes we are successful, sometimes, we are not.) Then at times, i'll see in group chat alliance members telling others we shouldn't be taking these keeps and should head to where they are at.

I also see people getting HUGE amount of AP from taking/defending keeps and the most I have gotten in Cyrodiil after taking a keep, is 14.5K. How to you guys rack up these points?

What should I be doing to really help in Cyrodiil?
Edited by BozzyTheDrummer on July 30, 2018 4:21PM
Xbox NA
CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Success" in Cyrodil is very subjective. So just do what you enjoy the most.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally getting to know the map and being in decent 6+ man group helps rack up the points pretty quick
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »

As they said.

I prefer my waring to 'mean something' i.e. Quieter campaigns, smaller known groups trying to take the map. Cut off the enemy, get Emp, get the alliance score to the top and winning the campaign.

For others its farming AP and zerg surfing to the next battle.

Each to their own but running known groups is where its at for me, searching decent small scale action on the way to alliance victory
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    make sure you "activate" your pelinal scroll of ferocity...

I forgot to do so on a couple of characters when I first played them during the event...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »

I spent alot of time knocking people off alessia Bridge the ap was terrible but it sure was fun.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what you want to do.

Generally speaking, defending and capturing objectives with priority given to defending your faction's home keeps and attacking the enemy ones closest to your faction is a good way to be successful if you want to find fights that help the faction do well on the campaign score.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole point of cyrodiil is AvA really, so technically that’s where the success is. Take keeps, win campaigns & become emp. Of course there’s small scale but can’t really call it success if you’re not doing anything that makes an impact on the map.

When I first started I played the map and got emp but eventually I turned into an ap farmer farming towers, Gates, scrolls and even breaking down keep stairs. In a way that was being successful (besides gate farming) because those enemies could be somewhere else instead.

Now I don’t care much about anything, honestly I just visit cyrodiil to attempt 1vxing , die most of the time with success here and there.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zerg all the things.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Gprime31
    Gprime31
    ✭✭✭✭
    Experience. Small man, don’t Zerg
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I am generally asking, what are you supposed to do?

I port in, I find a group of my alliance at whatever keep they are at, and I do everything I can to help (sometimes we are successful, sometimes, we are not.) Then at times, i'll see in group chat alliance members telling others we shouldn't be taking these keeps and should head to where they are at.

I also see people getting HUGE amount of AP from taking/defending keeps and the most I have gotten in Cyrodiil after taking a keep, is 14.5K. How to you guys rack up these points?

What should I be doing to really help in Cyrodiil?

My advice is, don't look at points (AP). The aim of pvp is player versus player, points are just a gimmick to make you feel like you're earning something for your effort, the real reward is good gameplay. My most memorable moments in eso have nothing to do with points. Try out different things like becoming a good solo player or join a group, small or large. Get to know people and play with them, over time your can develop strong teams and work together (or be a good solo player if that's what you want).

Most importantly have fun.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
    Highest kill streak: https://i.imgur.com/V6jJhoy.png
    KB sample: https://i.imgur.com/n7TFyZr.png
    TKG raid sample: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrsHg3T7pc
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Defend a keep from huge zergs for a long time.
  • Kybotica
    Kybotica
    ✭✭✭
    The best way to earn tons of AP is to get with a very coordinated group and kill groups larger than yourself while defending or attacking resources or keeps. Aside from that, repelling a lengthy attack on a keep (one that lasts for literal hours straight) can net a massive AP tick as well.

Really, if you kill people, heal allies, and defend and take resources and keeps, you're fine.

Try to focus on the ring and who has emperor and what will cut off transportation for other factions, etc. when deciding where to go help. Sometimes a very small group cutting teleports to a keep by taking all three resources can turn the tide of a big fight.

The biggest part is to have fun and make sure your build can take some hits and get some good 1v1 kills.
    M'iaq the Honest- PC/NA
    EP Khajiit Nightblade
    Guild of Shadows
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After playing for year taking and defending keeps has gotten beyond stale. Now i just judge success on how many people we can pull to a resource or chase us and then keep killing them. Which in return keeps them from being able to take or defend their factions keeps
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Joshlenoir
    Joshlenoir
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to be successful in the way cyrodill is designed run the biggest group you possibly can with the most amount of players to "win the campaign". Cyrodill is about the score board and the best way to get score is to take every keep on the map.

The faction with the most players always wins. Winning the campaign has nothing to do with skill. Don't get caught up in all of that 1vX elitist stuff. So many of those guys use suspicious exploits (or dare I say, cheats) to kill people.You just need to worry about stacking on crown and following instructions. Learning how to siege is very important too. Siege can also be very effective against players that are hard to kill already.

The main things for winning are high player activity during all hours of the day (especially at night) and most of all- numbers.
    Edited by Joshlenoir on August 9, 2018 8:05PM
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asgari wrote: »
    After playing for year taking and defending keeps has gotten beyond stale. Now i just judge success on how many people we can pull to a resource or chase us and then keep killing them. Which in return keeps them from being able to take or defend their factions keeps

Pretty much that.. also if I can get through a session in Cyrodiil without slamming my fist on my desk.
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun... that’s really the only way to succeed in ESO
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on what you view as successful. If you care about personal AP gain then taking/defending keeps helps for both beginners and experienced groups. If you're a beginner still figuring out PvP then I'd recommend a ranged build, especially with good ranged AoE, as well as at least one heal that can hit other people. You want to stay alive as much as possible (hence ranged build), you want to get tags on as many enemies as possible (hence good AoE), and you want to be able to heal allies for that sweet sweet healing AP. Group up with your local zerg and have some fun. Make sure to use whatever the broken-ass siege is at the time. In the current meta that's going to be Catapults, especially Scattershot and Meatbag. Huge damage for almost no effort, though you have to be sure you don't get tunnel vision and die on your siege.

If you want to actually WIN a campaign then a lot of that's out of your control, since it's 24-hour PvP out there and you can't help if the other faction has huge numbers at certain times of the day and overwhelms the map. Still, you can play well while you're on. Find out what gets points on your campaign and go for those objectives. Time it so you get as many of them as possible close to evaluation time so there's little to no time to flip them back. Join groups, especially ones with good leads, and if they are good leads then follow what they do as best you can. Make sure you're using the right siege weapons to take keeps (regular Ballista and Stone Trebuchet are the only ones that deal good damage against walls and doors, and battering rams can be used on doors for great damage but at great risk from oils).

If you want to get into the competitive guild scene then you need to "get good". Find out what guilds are currently looking for, build your basic combat awareness and tactics, get good gear for your role, and eventually ask who's recruiting. Do tryouts, pay attention to the leader, do as directed. You're going to make some decisions in combat on your own, but you need to coordinate with your team to pull off good plays and guilds coordinate by having designated leads.

There's a lot of other meta-plays you'll get a better feel for as you play, such as what keeps are important to hold for some specific objective, when it's good to push one faction, the other, or both, all kinds of things like that, but that's far too nuanced to explain in this post. Either way, good luck on your journey!
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    KILL ALL SPARE NONE