The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

in a world of Nightblades (and Sorcs in the past)...can you help me build a DK?

Rhaegar75
Rhaegar75
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, so far I've been playing Magplar and Stamden but I'm actually trying to create a new alt. I'm obviously not going to jump on the Sorc/NB bandwagon so I was thinking about a DK. I don't think I know enough about the class: I've looked at some videos and I must say that every main PvPer will make any build awesome.

I'm really unsure...Mag or Stam?!?!? Which one performs better in PvP? What would you say are the pros/cons of each?
Worth mentioning that from a RP prospective I can't stand the idea of using 2 staffs...1 would be ok though.
thanks guys
Edited by Rhaegar75 on August 23, 2018 6:01PM
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    Hey guys, so far I've been playing Magplar and Stamden but I'm actually trying to create a new alt. I'm obviously not going to jump on the Sorc/NB bandwagon so I was thinking about a DK. I don't think I know enough about the class: I've looked at some videos and I must say that every main PvPer will make any build awesome.

I'm really unsure...Mag or Stam?!?!? Which one performs better in PvP? What would you say are the pros/cons of each?
    Worth mentioning that from a RP prospective I can't stand the idea of using 2 staffs...1 would be ok though.
    thanks guys

I've got both and I prefer Magdk. You can go dual wield or snb with restro backbar.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

thanks guys

I've got both and I prefer Magdk. You can go dual wield or snb with restro backbar.
    sorry to be a pain...why Mag?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MagDK is currently stronger and has some modest group utility. StamDK is largely about weapon skills. If you can pvp on magplar as a damage dealer, mDK plays similarly. Primary melee, must be aggressive, but unlike magplar mDK has a better transition between defense and offense. MagDK has a wider range of viability in weapon choice combos and armor sets now, I feel.

BUT - big but here - the buff/nerf wheel shall turn. Wasn't long ago stamDKs were great and magDKs trash tier. So I'd actually recommend trying both and see which playstyle you prefer.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, you can totally play double s/b. And expect quite a drop in damage if you build for a bit of sustain. And lack of sustain if you build for damage. It also really do depend on your style of play. I prefer s/b above anything else because DKs synergize well with it and probably the only form of defense benefited by passives. With staves, it is a different play style. It can do some damage but defense, you will have to basically play worse version of Sorc and NB.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

thanks guys

sorry to be a pain...why Mag?

Stam can be good but it's boring to me. I like setting players on fire and whipping them in to submission.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MagDK is currently better. Well, the light version anyway. S/B or inferno staff front, and resto back. Decent survivability, very high potential damage.

Unfortunately for stamDK, the meta is stacked against them hard. Tanking playstyle is not very viable with the nerfs and the meta. Block is hard to sustain for extended periods of time or vs multiple opponents, and StamDK pretty much has to tank, no shields they can use.

If you feel like you have to play tanky, then tanky stam is a bit better than tanky mag. Heavy stamina oriented sets grant higher weapon damage and can use heavy attacks for the stam, LA for better weave damage and better mobility through stam/immo/speed pots. (No mag equivalent)
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with ak_pvp I think magicka is better atm..
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks guys...i'm not really that bothered about the nerf wheel; as long as I don't waste time in a lost casue I'm happy!! If I was after the fotm I would have gone Sorc really
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How cheesey you want to be?

Run Sloads/Viper/Bloodspawn with Maelstrom 2 hander back bar and s/b front bar as stamina.

don't forget poisons either

Put Corrosive on your front bar with Viper.... Very few things in the game can stand up against that offense and those things that can you're not killing on a Stam Dk because they're running something crazy op.

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I’m sold to magdk but I’m still confused about the skills
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mag all day. Whip is infinitely more enjoyable than any of the stam spammables, plus the self healing is OP.
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    I main a StamDK and pretty much MagDK for strictly PvP. You just have to ask yourself: would you rather use more weapon skills or class skills? That's really the simplest way to put it. I PVP with both and to be honest, I have more success on my magdk. But I'm still successful with both in terms of able to kill and survive. Just do what sounds more appealing to you.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you do - Build to keep wings up next patch for the two second snare immunity.

As someone who lives snared most of the time, I’m jealous. Almost enough to level my lowbie MagDK.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve pinched this build from @Akinos
    http://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=43404
    Do you guys use it? I don’t want to spend too much gold before I hear some comments.
    On paper it looks good though
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That build will be easy to play without needing to remember to refresh your spell damage and armor buffs, but it's a pretty low damage. That 3k figure includes weapon damage enchant which you won't get unless you are reliably light attack weaving.

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    That build will be easy to play without needing to remember to refresh your spell damage and armor buffs, but it's a pretty low damage. That 3k figure includes weapon damage enchant which you won't get unless you are reliably light attack weaving.

Mmmm fair point...damage could be indeed quite low mmmm I’m perplexed now

Edited by Rhaegar75 on August 4, 2018 2:30PM
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

The damage is not low at all. If you look at what debuffs are on the back bar, ele drain which is about 16% more damage on target, engulfing flames which is 10% more damage, then the 10% crit damage buff. That's over 35% damage increase.
    I've won dozens of 1vX and duels with this same build and have proof that it's not low damage. I've landed 20k leaps and 12k whips on people with this build.

Spell damage and max magicka aren't the only ways to have damage, same goes for damage sets.
    Edited by Akinos on August 4, 2018 2:51PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • lowlifer
    lowlifer
    Due to the recent changes Destro staff in the front bar is very much advised. Flame staff will inc direct damage and frost staff will add a nice snare if you’re not usuing a gap closer.

I’d advise a Resto back bar for healing ward and lights champion ultimate but you could get away with sword and board and using class heals.

As for combating sorcs. Wings, stun, whip, repeat. If you wanna be super annoying like me you’ll use a multitude of stuns, routes and snares to keep those pesky streakers put.

Btw I main as a sorc and hate mag dks
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »
    How cheesey you want to be?

Run Sloads/Viper/Bloodspawn with Maelstrom 2 hander back bar and s/b front bar as stamina.

don't forget poisons either

Put Corrosive on your front bar with Viper.... Very few things in the game can stand up against that offense and those things that can you're not killing on a Stam Dk because they're running something crazy op.

What about Sheer Venom rather than Viper? Has a slightly better poison dot.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys got me convinced to try a mDK. What's a good race/gear combo to consider? Also besides whip and wings, what are the must have skills? Appreciate any advice. :)
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks guys

In the world of sorc you can make magic sorc. Why DK ? Happy fooling
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on August 9, 2018 6:05PM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do not use chudan. Spikes, whilst it takes a slot, is too good in my opinion.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Do not use chudan. Spikes, whilst it takes a slot, is too good in my opinion.

Also gives you ez access to healing received passive.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks guys

In the world of sorc you can make magic sorc. Why DK ? Happy fooling

LoL...I cannot stand sorcs or FOTM in general lol

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What heavy armour build are you guys using?
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im gonna help you if you rename the thread to: in a world of nightblades. Would be more appropriate
  • Grimhallow
    Grimhallow
    ✭✭✭
    If you are still comparing stam and mag, maybe this can help provide you some perspective. I'll just put this here...

• BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    im gonna help you if you rename the thread to: in a world of nightblades. Would be more appropriate

Correct it to Stamblades even though the number of magblades also growing but still more stamblades :D
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm definitely going magicka but I'm still unsure about the race: Briton or High elf? I'm ruling out dark elf and argonian cause I really really dont like them lol
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton and High Elf are good. You'll get a tiny bit more damage mileage from the High Elf passives over Breton. But Breton still has Magicka cost reduction and more Spell Resistance.

It's all personal preference. I went Dark Elf for mine because I loved the idea of having a bit more stamina to block with.