The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Professor X's Cerebro reimagined with Essential Housing Tools

R_K
R_K
✭✭✭✭✭
We're searching for Tamriel's home designers, the experienced and newcomers alike...
...will you be found?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIVxhGYvbKk&feature=youtu.be
Built with Essential Housing Tools. Get Creative.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • ixie
    ixie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are a genius!
    PC EU

Ixie - Breton Nightblade
    Paints-With-Frogs - Argonian Nightblade
    Swee Troll - Crafter Dragonknight
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This addon is one of the best things that ever happened to ESO. Thank you for sharing! :)
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Morgul667 @ixie @LadyNalcarya Thank you so much... and it's awesome to hear that people are enjoying it! <3
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow, great representation. What is that, 3-4 million gold worth of Abyssal pearls?!
  • Strifur
    Strifur
    ✭✭
    Very cool, though I feel like your character should be wearing the Sideburn Skullcap from the Psijic Crown Crate to complete the effect! :smile:
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wreuntzylla Good question -- it was about 140 pearls, and I believe they are 75,000 gold each, so that'd be 10ish million. But you could easily reduce the number of pearls because I just rendered a Dome of them, rolled on its side so I was facing into it while sitting. You could have occluded the field of view with them using a more efficient shape. I did this while on PTS, developing the next update for Essential Housing Tools though, so that wasn't my gold spent. :wink:
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Strifur Lol, someone else mentioned the same exact thing! I completely forgot about the skullcap; but yes, that would have been ideal for this shot!
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @R_K how big of a single pearl can you make out of that many pearls?
  • Delphinia
    Delphinia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Very creative! I look forward to seeing more :)
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, the animations are awesome! I really like how you’ve constructed the platform, it was brilliant to use the glass cases, and the criss-crossing pattern on the floor looks great! Your video is an example of why I love housing in ESO; one wants to make Professor X’s Cerebro chamber, and then thinks which materials would work, and goes ‘glass cases!’, or the opposite--seeing a pearl, and thinking it might work for an animation… trying to find ways to use the available items to create the things we have in mind is one of the best aspects in housing for me, and why I don’t mind so much that we don’t have everything in terms of items, because it pushes us to get creative, necessity being the mother of invention, and all that :smile: Awesome work, and totally unexpected, can't wait to see what things you'll create next!
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A great question...

A sphere constructed of Abyssal Pearls would have a total Surface Area equal to: 4 * π * Radius * Radius
    The Abyssal Pearl's bounding box measures approximately 0.75m for Length, Width and Height.

Personally, I decided to use negative Item Spacing to eliminate the "dead air" between pearls, so I my net dimensions per Pearl were 0.55m cubed.

This would produce a usable surface area of 0.55m x 0.55m per Pearl. Assuming an Item Limit of 700 items, that would yield a maximum, solid surface area of ~211 square meters.

Solve for Radius (r):
    211 m2 = 4 * 3.14159 * r2
    165.72 m2 = r2
    sqrt( 165.72 m2 ) = r

So the Radius in meters squared = 12.87 m2
    sqrt( Radius in meters squared ) = ~3.59

...so, the TL;DR answer is: you should be able to construct a roughly 3.6m radius, solid Sphere using just shy of 700 Abyssal Pearls. :smile:
    Edited by R_K on July 24, 2018 2:50PM
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Delphinia Thank you so much! <3
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R_K wrote: »

A great question...

A sphere constructed of Abyssal Pearls would have a total Surface Area equal to: 4 * π * Radius * Radius
    The Abyssal Pearl's bounding box measures approximately 0.75m for Length, Width and Height.

Personally, I decided to use negative Item Spacing to eliminate the "dead air" between pearls, so I my net dimensions per Pearl were 0.55m cubed.

This would produce a usable surface area of 0.55m x 0.55m per Pearl. Assuming an Item Limit of 700 items, that would yield a maximum, solid surface area of ~211 square meters.

Solve for Radius (r):
    211 m2 = 4 * 3.14159 * r2
    165.72 m2 = r2
    sqrt( 165.72 m2 ) = r

So the Radius in meters squared = 12.87 m2
    sqrt( Radius in meters squared ) = ~3.59

...so, the TL;DR answer is: you should be able to construct a roughly 3.6m radius, solid Sphere using just shy of 700 Abyssal Pearls. :smile:

Could you do a 'hollow' sphere by using concentric circles of pearls of increasing radius and stacking them? Might get a decent sized spehere with using less pearls, though I suppose the smoothness of the surface would vary depending on how many pearls used per circle.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Could you do a 'hollow' sphere by using concentric circles of pearls of increasing radius and stacking them? Might get a decent sized spehere with using less pearls, though I suppose the smoothness of the surface would vary depending on how many pearls used per circle.

@Jaimeh
    Also a good question. So the estimate of a 3.6m radius sphere of Abyssal Pearls was based on a hollow sphere -- the kind rendered by Essential Housing Tools' "Sphere" build template. The add-on actually does not have an option to generate a solid (filled) sphere as, typically, this would be impractical and probably undesired (unless you were using items that had a translucent material / texture, I suppose). :wink: