The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Proposed new Housing Permission category

Minyassa
Minyassa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I was very happy for the people with 200 lights and prankster friends to see this announcement in the PTS notes:

" Added a new Housing Permission called "Limited Visitor". Limited Visitors cannot adjust your lights or other adjustable furnishings."

That's great, and I'm delighted to see that this appears to be a direct response to player requests. Thank you.

NOW....could we PLEASE have a new Housing Permission called "Roommate" or something similar that will allow characters so designated to PLACE furnishing items as well as just moving them around? For the sake of all of us playing with our real-life spouses, SOs, in-game spouses and SOs, good friends, guildmates, and all others who want to share a home with other people but don't want to have to be online every single time one of those people needs to put something in a shared home?
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    awesome - glad to see this
  • Shadowdream
    Shadowdream
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Entirely agreed. The new permission is great, and I'm very happy to see it. I hope this means more permissions in the future.
    I'm forever helping my husband with placement, and we like to buy each other surprises. It would be fun to be able to place them for each other. We also want to be able to share houses.
    Plus, since we don't have guildhalls, this would be wonderful for those of us who would like to make one of our houses a guildhall (or already do so) and allow multiple people to decorate it.
  • Emathides
    Emathides
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed!
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I was very happy for the people with 200 lights and prankster friends to see this announcement in the PTS notes:

" Added a new Housing Permission called "Limited Visitor". Limited Visitors cannot adjust your lights or other adjustable furnishings."

That's great, and I'm delighted to see that this appears to be a direct response to player requests. Thank you.

NOW....could we PLEASE have a new Housing Permission called "Roommate" or something similar that will allow characters so designated to PLACE furnishing items as well as just moving them around? For the sake of all of us playing with our real-life spouses, SOs, in-game spouses and SOs, good friends, guildmates, and all others who want to share a home with other people but don't want to have to be online every single time one of those people needs to put something in a shared home?

You let your spouse decorate? I would think a lot of spouses will end up on the limited visitor list first...
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes I love this addition!
    And yes please allow this option as well, it was so incredibly tedious designing our guild hall between my boyfriend and myself, especially with that annoying bug that causes an item to be glitched if you both place something at the same time >.<
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a problem though. They will have to code a lot of logic for achievement furnishings to prevent placing furnishings you don't have access to. I think it is possible, but I don't think ZOS will actually do it.

But I too would like to be able to let other people in certain category to place stuff in my house
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea!

and adding "Limited Visitors" is a good move from the devs indeed
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Ravenayle
    Ravenayle
    ✭✭✭

I think the 'roomate' function would be so very useful to people hired to decorate by another as well. It's a pain to want to add something in, but have to pause things until the other person can be there to actually place the items.

• Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There is a problem though. They will have to code a lot of logic for achievement furnishings to prevent placing furnishings you don't have access to. I think it is possible, but I don't think ZOS will actually do it.

But I too would like to be able to let other people in certain category to place stuff in my house

That shouldn't be too hard. LOTRO is has been doing it for years and they are soooo much older. This game is still fairly new and shiny and they have access to tech that LOTRO didn't have, so they have no excuse. :)
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The code already exists: it's "bound on account" furniture (crown store furnitures, achievement furnitures). Stuff you can't sell, stuff you wouldn't be able to put in.

Even so, I'd rather see the reverse: Roommates being able to put-in achivement furnitures that the owner of the house hasn't got yet. This would add a very sense of guild work for guild houses. But for this feature, I guess a "guild house" category must be added first
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The code already exists: it's "bound on account" furniture (crown store furnitures, achievement furnitures). Stuff you can't sell, stuff you wouldn't be able to put in.

Even so, I'd rather see the reverse: Roommates being able to put-in achivement furnitures that the owner of the house hasn't got yet. This would add a very sense of guild work for guild houses. But for this feature, I guess a "guild house" category must be added first

Except then some complete stranger, or someone you buy to do it or whatever, can just come around and fill your home with hard to get furniture like emperor's throne and elder scrolls and whatnot, without you having done the required achievements.

The reason why the system is as it is now, is so that -you- have to put in the furniture in, in order to let someone else move it around. There's a reason why all achievement furniture is account bound, this suggestion would essentially make everything unbound, which I don't see is something the dev team would be doing. Also, it would be a complete nightmare to keep track of 1 account's bound furniture across a hundred of different homes. Right now, your own account bound stuff can only be in your characters' inventories, your bank and storage containers, or in your houses. Making it so you can place account bound stuff into other people's homes is a can of worms I don't think we should open.

If you are RL sposes of friends or whatever, it doesn't take -that- much coordination to dump down X pieces of furniture in your shared home for the other one to decorate it when they have the time.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    There's a reason why all achievement furniture is account bound, this suggestion would essentially make everything unbound, which I don't see is something the dev team would be doing.
    Which one?

In the OP's suggestion, the furniture that is not bound would be added by the room-mates. Such furniture already exists! I can already put some bush, crafted chairs and stuff in my home, then remove it, and sell it, or place it in the guild bank ;)
    So the bound items won't be usable as a room-mate, and so are all the achievement furnitures, right? So i fail to see the problem here

Now if we're talking about an actual Guild House system, then yes, indeed! they would have to code new features, like "contributors" instead of "one owner" and so on

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a reason why all achievement furniture is account bound, this suggestion would essentially make everything unbound, which I don't see is something the dev team would be doing.
    Which one?

In the OP's suggestion, the furniture that is not bound would be added by the room-mates. Such furniture already exists! I can already put some bush, crafted chairs and stuff in my home, then remove it, and sell it, or place it in the guild bank ;)
    So the bound items won't be usable as a room-mate, and so are all the achievement furnitures, right? So i fail to see the problem here

Now if we're talking about an actual Guild House system, then yes, indeed! they would have to code new features, like "contributors" instead of "one owner" and so on

If "roommates" or whatever you call them, cannot place bound furnishing into other people's homes, but only unbound, then we'd hear a ton of complaints about that as well.
    Which again is why you're better off just having the house owner place everything in the house, bound or unbound, and let someone else do the decorating.

If a married couple (or an unmarried couple) wish to own a house together, then perhaps they should buy it with the account that is going to do the most of the decorating, instead of buying it with one account, then having the other account do all the decorating. That's pretty much just asking for a headache.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a problem with using the same system LOTRO uses re: bound/achievement furniture. Basically it's the same as ALL furniture is now, in that you just don't have anything to do with it if you don't own it. If someone who isn't the home owner is given permission to add furnishings and they put in a bound piece, the only interaction that the homeowner has with that piece is "return to owner." It's not very common for people to get strangers to put in achievement pieces because they'll never be able to move it and if they can't get that person to come move it for them the only option they have is to lose it forever, and there's little point in paying someone to come put in an unreliable decoration. The main point of having all permitted people be able to place furnishings is that this allows you to really share a home with someone and have THEIR personal touches there, and walk in and see something new that wasn't there yesterday, or find funny things that someone has done with the house, and basically the SOCIAL interaction that housing is ripe for if everyone can participate. If I have to place everything myself, my play partner cannot surprise me by, for example, leaving me a bouquet of flowers on my birthday. It doesn't *feel* like a shared home if you have to place everything and can only let others move things you already placed. I realize that those arguing against this are thinking only about financial aspects and probably are not people who enjoy the social parts of sharing a home, but some of us are really, really into that angle.
    Edited by Minyassa on July 13, 2018 11:24PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has grinded their behind off for many of the game's achievements, I say that is a terrible suggestion. Whether you can move it or not isn't an issue, someone should NOT be able to drop rare achievement furniture into someone else's home.

It dilutes the effort and ahcievements. If you want that Master Angler boat in your home, you better grind your behind off for it, like I and others have done.

The only thing I would be remotely ok with, was being able to put non-bound stuff into other people's houses, but that defeats the whole purpose of your thread.

So once again we're back at my earler statement, why not buy the house with the account that's going to do most of the decorations and save yourself some headache.

Edit: I think much of your dissatisfaction is that you're trying to make houses a shared thing, when they're not. They are personal belongings, to 1 account, like it or not. I'm sure many would like a shared lived in house by 2-3 people, or a shared guildhall, but the mechanics just don't support that, and if they did, they would undermine every furniture-gate in the game, such as furniture being gated behind achievements, behind Crown Store purchases or behind DLC access, which is why I don't see it happen at all.

Edited by Carbonised on July 14, 2018 3:19PM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has grinded their behind off for many of the game's achievements, I say that is a terrible suggestion. Whether you can move it or not isn't an issue, someone should NOT be able to drop rare achievement furniture into someone else's home.

It dilutes the effort and ahcievements. If you want that Master Angler boat in your home, you better grind your behind off for it, like I and others have done.

The only thing I would be remotely ok with, was being able to put non-bound stuff into other people's houses, but that defeats the whole purpose of your thread.

So once again we're back at my earler statement, why not buy the house with the account that's going to do most of the decorations and save yourself some headache.

Edit: I think much of your dissatisfaction is that you're trying to make houses a shared thing, when they're not. They are personal belongings, to 1 account, like it or not. I'm sure many would like a shared lived in house by 2-3 people, or a shared guildhall, but the mechanics just don't support that, and if they did, they would undermine every furniture-gate in the game, such as furniture being gated behind achievements, behind Crown Store purchases or behind DLC access, which is why I don't see it happen at all.

There's no reason that the mechanics can't support shared homes. Other games do it quite successfully without any complaints of it somehow undermining an achievement system. People are not usually even thinking about gated furniture when they pick someone to share a house with, it's not on the top of the priority list for people for whom housing is a major part of gameplay. It'd work just fine for those who would like to do it, and it would not be forcing anything on those who don't. Win-win.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Except then some complete stranger, or someone you buy to do it or whatever, can just come around and fill your home with hard to get furniture like emperor's throne and elder scrolls and whatnot, without you having done the required achievements.

The reason why the system is as it is now, is so that -you- have to put in the furniture in, in order to let someone else move it around. There's a reason why all achievement furniture is account bound, this suggestion would essentially make everything unbound, which I don't see is something the dev team would be doing. Also, it would be a complete nightmare to keep track of 1 account's bound furniture across a hundred of different homes. Right now, your own account bound stuff can only be in your characters' inventories, your bank and storage containers, or in your houses. Making it so you can place account bound stuff into other people's homes is a can of worms I don't think we should open.

If you are RL sposes of friends or whatever, it doesn't take -that- much coordination to dump down X pieces of furniture in your shared home for the other one to decorate it when they have the time.

I suppose they could always limit it to not include achievement furnishings maybe?

I have no need for this feature myself, but I think it is a great idea for those who do essentially share houses anyway!
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on July 14, 2018 11:22PM
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my god, people who go "me me me", "I had to WORK for this thing in a GAME so other people can't have any sort of fun without going through the same PAINS"

It's a GAME. Do people realize it ? a GAME ! the whole point of it is FUN ! And achievements are a great way to guide one's fun, but not when they're used to put other people down and limit them. You should be proud of your own achievements because they make you feel good about yourself, not because they make you feel better than.

I for once am 100% behind the idea of house sharing and co-decorating. Sounds really fun.
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • Madhattr64
    Madhattr64
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.
  • RubyWarfare
    RubyWarfare
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to be able to share a house with my play partner! In fact, my gaming partner is willing to fork over the funds to buy the Earthtear Cavern only being able to share decorating privileges becomes a thing.