The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Miscategorized Weapon

srmalloy
srmalloy
One of my characters has (well, it's now in a chest waiting for the ticket response) an item, a Spiritmender's Staff. This is categorized as a 'Healing Staff', not a Restoration Staff, and as a result, the character's slotted Restoration Staff abilities are all greyed out (I would have preferred not discovering this in an abyssal geyser fight, but...). Not having played ESO for very long, was there a naming change from 'healing staff' to 'restoration staff', or is 'healing staff' an active weapon category that is uncraftable?
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    srmalloy wrote: »
    One of my characters has (well, it's now in a chest waiting for the ticket response) an item, a Spiritmender's Staff. This is categorized as a 'Healing Staff', not a Restoration Staff, and as a result, the character's slotted Restoration Staff abilities are all greyed out (I would have preferred not discovering this in an abyssal geyser fight, but...). Not having played ESO for very long, was there a naming change from 'healing staff' to 'restoration staff', or is 'healing staff' an active weapon category that is uncraftable?
    If I recall correctly, ZOS changed all "Ice Staff" descriptions to "Frost Staff" and changed all "Healing Staff" descriptions to "Restoration Staff". But I cannot recall the patch in which they did that. Quite likely they overlooked one or more of them.

Regardless, your report is the first time that I have read that equipping a "Healing Staff" disables a character's Restoration Staff skills. Perhaps that was the reason for the change, or that was implemented when the change in the descriptions was made in that patch.

On the face of it, someone who has the authority to do it must change the description for the "Healing Staff" that you acquired to "Restoration Staff" instead, and correct the description in the database so that it wil be awarded as a "Restoration Staff" going forward.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • srmalloy
    srmalloy
    If I had to guess, they changed all the Healing Staff items to Restoration Staff items by creating a new item type and changing the type for the affected items, rather than just renaming the Healing Staff item type, which would seem to me to be the less work-intensive change. But since I can only guess at the internal structure of the database, I can't say for certain; there may have been other reasons to keep the old type -- for example, if that item type in the hands of an NPC had effects that needed to remain distinct from the effects of a restoration staff in the same NPC's hands. Or the Spiritmender Staff had been intended to be removed from the game, so they didn't think it was necessary to change it, and missed one when removing it from every loot table.

Anyway, I put a ticket in on the issue, and if someone pays attention to it, it should get fixed at some nebulous time in the future.