The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The Hand of Geezus(tm)

R_K
R_K
✭✭✭✭✭
Never plummet to your death again**: The Hand of Geezus(tm), included with the Magic Carpet v2.2.0 add-on, will intervene as an act of divine providence, gently guiding you back down to Nirn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9DvhANhjRo&feature=youtu.be

** Requires: (1) Ownership of the house or Decorator permission; (2) One [Rough Planks, Wide] placed in the house (anywhere)
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool man. Personally I prefer the "press S and descend like Jesus/Mary Poppins." But when that is gone it would be pretty helpful for jumping off things.
    Edited by ak_pvp on June 25, 2018 1:06AM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Pretty cool man. Personally I prefer the "press S and descend like Jesus/Mary Poppins." But when that is gone it would be pretty helpful for jumping off things.
    @ak_pvp
    That description, lol... and I totally agree. I should probably clarify though, The Hand of Geezus(tm) only activates if you free fall while the Magic Carpet itself is Off or in Suspended mode. Otherwise, it's assumed that the Magic Carpet will work the magic needed to keep you non-dead. :wink:
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fyi, the Elven (bird) carpet is structural and you could use that for a true flying carpet! I used them as scaffolding in the past.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is true! Among other things... :-)

If you're interested, here's some videos. These show some of the supported "Magic Carpet" items, but others are supported as well such as the Clockwork Vents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28iZDVJX2Vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS5BMZB7Yqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aJiXPytOU
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    R_K wrote: »
    This is true! Among other things... :-)

If you're interested, here's some videos. These show some of the supported "Magic Carpet" items, but others are supported as well such as the Clockwork Vents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28iZDVJX2Vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS5BMZB7Yqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aJiXPytOU

Ok, the duel was amazing. I assume neither person had to press any buttons?
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, the duel was amazing. I assume neither person had to press any buttons?

Nope. The add-on does have two keybinds -- one that tilts the carpet upwards to ascend; one that rapidly descends -- but those are only needed if you want to actually ascend without jumping or if you want to descend very rapidly.
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey R.K.

This is amazing! Except for the user, aka me! Not sure where I'm going wrong with this, but I keep falling through my carpets. I've set it up with three carpets, and I jump, jump, jump, fall through. Sometimes it works. Most often, not

So, I know I'm doing something wrong. Just not sure what. Any ideas?
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sharalei

Awe, I am sorry that's been happening. Well, let me start with the bad thing: If it's related to your latency (ping), there is not much that can be done to completely eliminate this type of issue; however, whether the latency is or is not the root cause, I do have a few suggestions:
    1. Try using one of the larger supported carpet items. Preferably the [Rough Planks, Wide] x 3. Those are huge and therefore more forgiving in cases where latency or even computer performance are issues.
    2. Check the Settings (Settings > Addons > Magic Carpet) and try adjusting the Update Frequency slider. Ideally, this would be set to the maximum value (100); but, if it already is, consider trying other values (50 and 1 in particular) to see if they affect the carpet's overall stability.
    3. If you have the latest version, you may also want to turn OFF the new Idle Animations as these could also impact the performance if latency or computer speed are factors.
    4. EDIT: Also, I reread your message: If the carpet dropping you primarily while ascending via jumping, consider use the configurable key bind for Ascend (Settings > Controls > Magic Carpet) to navigate upwards in lieu of jumping. You can even configure this hot key to work as either a toggle or as a key you hold down while ascending (from the Settings panel). (But I'd still try the other suggestions in addition to this one :wink:)
    I truly hope that one or more of these can help out so you can enjoy the add-on fully! Let me know if I can do anything else to do help or if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
    Edited by R_K on July 3, 2018 1:25AM
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi R_K,

Ok, I've tried all of your suggestions, and things have improved dramatically.

Latency is definitely a probability as I live in Australia.

Updated the frequency slider to 50, and 5 (wouldn't allow 1), and both made no difference. So I placed it back on 100.

Turned OFF the Idle Animations feature, and it immediately had a dramatic positive effect! The carpet seems more stable since turning that off.

Your idea to use my Ascending and Descending keys really helped a lot. Although I still fall through the carpet at times, what I've found is that it happens a lot less often if I hold down the ascend key while I'm jumping.

Another thing I've noticed is, if I use Magic Carpet while in decorating mode (F5), it misbehaves. But, if I use it before hitting F5, and only start decorating once I've positioned myself and hit my key to "suspend" my carpet, I have no issues at all. It is like the carpet wants to be top dog, and insists on being utilized first, before anything else. :)

Overall, I'm delighted with the results. Ok, it's not perfect, but it's working 80% of the time. For me that's absolutely fine, as I love the add-on. Perhaps with time, I will learn to navigate my carpet better and have fewer incidences. Or perhaps my latency is just something I'll have to live with, knowing it effects my carpet from time to time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Not only have you worked tirelessly on the Add-on, but now you give your time to sorting out problems for users. You're a saint! :)
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharalei wrote: »
    Hi R_K,

Ok, I've tried all of your suggestions, and things have improved dramatically.

Latency is definitely a probability as I live in Australia.

Updated the frequency slider to 50, and 5 (wouldn't allow 1), and both made no difference. So I placed it back on 100.

Turned OFF the Idle Animations feature, and it immediately had a dramatic positive effect! The carpet seems more stable since turning that off.

Your idea to use my Ascending and Descending keys really helped a lot. Although I still fall through the carpet at times, what I've found is that it happens a lot less often if I hold down the ascend key while I'm jumping.

Another thing I've noticed is, if I use Magic Carpet while in decorating mode (F5), it misbehaves. But, if I use it before hitting F5, and only start decorating once I've positioned myself and hit my key to "suspend" my carpet, I have no issues at all. It is like the carpet wants to be top dog, and insists on being utilized first, before anything else. :)

Overall, I'm delighted with the results. Ok, it's not perfect, but it's working 80% of the time. For me that's absolutely fine, as I love the add-on. Perhaps with time, I will learn to navigate my carpet better and have fewer incidences. Or perhaps my latency is just something I'll have to live with, knowing it effects my carpet from time to time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Not only have you worked tirelessly on the Add-on, but now you give your time to sorting out problems for users. You're a saint! :)

Hi @Sharalei !

Well, I am just super happy that there has been improvement in the add-on's stability for you! I wrote Magic Carpet for people to have fun with it, build with it, duel with it... and if you couldn't do that, then what's the fun in that, right? So it only makes sense to help out people who want to use it! :smiley:

Now, with that said, I was thinking about your situation -- and I have a few ideas about how I may be able to write some additional logic that would aim to compensate for higher latency scenarios. I don't think anything will ever be fool-proof, but I will see if I can come up with something that may help you out even further. So, please do check back for updates on Magic Carpet in the near future! :wink:

EDIT: I have made a few adjustments to the add-on and uploaded a new version (2.5.0). If you get a moment to update to the latest version and give the carpet a try, I would like to know if you see any further improvements. I was testing this latest version on my end and, whether I ran the add-on at full speed (Update Frequency 100) or at minimum speed (0 [sorry, not 1]), I really couldn't even make myself fall off of the carpet at all. I don't know if you'll see 100% flawless results, but I am hoping that this update will provide you with close to infallible stability (excluding extreme latency scenarios). :smile:

And as always, I welcome feedback, suggestions and questions any time -- so you know where to find me!
    Edited by R_K on July 4, 2018 11:24AM
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi R_K,

I use Minion and check every day for updates, so anything you do will always be downloaded before I logg into the game each day. Thank you for working on a new version to help people like myself.

Ok, on version 2.5.0, what I notice is ......

1. I can jump without falling through the carpet. Yay!

2. Adjusting the Frequency slider makes no difference.

3. I only fall through the carpet now when walking/moving around.

4. When I fall, the carpet is droppng with me, stopping incrementally, to catch my fall.

If I hold down the ascend key while walking around slowly, I can often get to where I'm going. I can live with that, as I don't really need to move around, I don't use it for duels or such. :)

I honestly think it's on my end. Latency.

Thank you again for all your hard work. I doubt things will be improved further as my latency is obviously an issue. I am delighted with my carpet the way it works now, and will be using it frequently. I will also bury a wide plank somewhere as extra insurance. :)

Much appreciated!
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Sharalei

First -- The Hand of Geezus(tm) will hopefully never let you down with that buried plank! :wink:

But a quick question for you: which carpet item are you using (and I apologize if you said before and I missed it)? If you have not tried the [Rough Planks, Wide] x 3, could you give them a go and see if they perform any better for you?

Also, one more thing -- would you mind helping me like this in the future if I make any further adjustments aimed at higher latency cases? If it's a bother of course, no worries at all. :smile:

Thanks for everything!
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi R_K,

Sorry, I do not know how to 'shout out' to people.

Ok, so I gave the wide planks a whirl. I was using the high elf plain carpets.

The planks worked better for walking. As long as I allowed the planks to stay ahead of me, they worked excellently. I did fall, but much less often than with the carpets.

Strangly, the planks do not respond to 'jump' command. They just sit there, the lazy sods! I have to hold down the ascend key to get them to move. That's ok. No biggy.

I imagine the planks could be awkward inside small spaces, so I'll probably flit between planks and carpets depending on the job I'm doing.

I'm happy to test stuff for you in future, sure! I usually check the forums daily, or if I'm aloof, feel free to mail me in game.

Thank you for all your assistance. :)

• R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sharalei Thank you so much -- and thank you for the details regarding the planks. That's all I needed to know for now -- you have been very helpful!

Oh, and Happy Housing ! :smile:
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the planks. When I want to adjust an item, I'll run sideways next to it, hit the suspend mode before the planks stop, and have the entire length of the planks to move around on and adjust items.

I have never fallen due to the addon. I have fallen several times... but never due to the addon.

Edited by Wreuntzylla on July 5, 2018 7:33PM
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never fallen due to the addon. I have fallen several times... but never due to the addon.

I'm certain I've not fallen due to the addon either. See, I'm in Australia. My latency is bad enough that PvP is out of the question. So my poor carpets never had a chance. :)
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sharalei wrote: »

I'm certain I've not fallen due to the addon either. See, I'm in Australia. My latency is bad enough that PvP is out of the question. So my poor carpets never had a chance. :)

To be clear, I have only fallen when I use suspend mode. I either (1) forgot to turn it back on; or (2) though I had turned it on but after falling to my death, realized I had forgotten to exit the housing editor.

I have moderate lag sometimes, depending on location or equipment, but nothing like Australia latency!