The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question about internet speed and how long it takes to update things the size of ESO

BozzyTheDrummer
BozzyTheDrummer
✭✭✭✭
Hoping to get some insight, not sure if this is the right section to post this, so sorry if it is not.

Updating and installing games on my Xbox One X and PS4 take FOREVER (even on my regular Xbox One.)

For example, this mornings update of 11.92 GB on my One X for ESO. It starts updating, and about five minutes go by before it even gets to .01%. It the starts saying something along the lines of 7.5 mbs/second then 11.25 mbs/second (i think this is correct, I am not in at home to see if this is exactly what it says, and I am not very tech savvy in this manner.) Most of the time, with updates like this, I set my console to shut off after 4 hours, because the updates take that long. I have most recently had to set it to shut off after 5 hours of inactivity, because the updates now seem to be taking longer.

Same when installing a new game, takes 4-5 hours. Even on my PS$, games and updates take just as long. And the progress as the download goes on, is very slow.

My question, is what is causing this, and what can I do to make this faster?

Where I live (i'm not out in the country, but I am not in a city either) we only have two choices for Internet. AT&T, who we currently have, and some local company that is quite crap compared to AT&T. Now, I pay for the highest internet package that AT&T has to offer as others in my household work from home and we require the fastest internet they have. The problem is, even though we have the fastest internet AT&T has to offer us, it is still slow. We frequently have internet outages in our neighborhood with AT&T (not just us) and when the service techs come out, we are told the following:

Per the AT&T techs that come out, AT&T internet has only been available for the past few years (neighborhood has constantly been growing larger over the last decade and keeps moving further back from where it originally started.) They say that where we are currently located within the community, is apparently far away from a service box, or a certain point that they mention (I am sorry, I do not know what it is called) and because of how far away we are from it, we will notice that our internet will be slow more often than not, despite for having they highest speed internet they provide.

Does this make sense to anyone? At first, when we were originally told this, we thought they were *** us, because the tech that came out was very rude and seemed bothered to be there. But since then (this is over three years) we have had AT&T out multiple time (more than we care for) and we have been told this same thing every time.

Am I just destined to have slow update/installing times and have to suck it up, or is there something that can be done?

I also want to add, that I originally had my consoles in y room, about 25-30 feet away from our router. Everything was slow to the point where I couldn't connect or game at all. Had the idea to move all my consoles into my media room (about 10 feet away from our router) after getting the One X and wouldn't you know, my games that I had to install huge updates, were being competed within 10-15 minutes. But over time, It is back to being slow as hell and taking 4-5 hours to update.

I hope all this makes sense and that this is the right section to post this. Sorry for the wall of text.
Xbox NA
CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firewalling can cause this. There are multiple routes you can take to help here. But, it looks like with all the data you have here it is probably the ISP.
    Per the AT&T techs that come out, AT&T internet has only been available for the past few years (neighborhood has constantly been growing larger over the last decade and keeps moving further back from where it originally started.) They say that where we are currently located within the community, is apparently far away from a service box, or a certain point that they mention (I am sorry, I do not know what it is called) and because of how far away we are from it, we will notice that our internet will be slow more often than not, despite for having they highest speed internet they provide.

I think I get what the service tech is saying here. But if the community is growing, and they are one of the larger providers, it begs the question why more service boxes aren't installed on your area? You're paying for the best package, you'd think they would have done this in the past 3 years.
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 200+ mbps and it took me like 5 minutes. Not sure exactly, Bc it was done before I made my coffee...

I’m on Xbox
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, in my experience, it depends on the speed of your IPS. I'm with Comcast and hardwired so it's never very long for me, but it used to be. I've found that, when using a router provided by the IPS it can be an issue since they have a really screwy refresh queue as well.
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firewalling can cause this. There are multiple routes you can take to help here. But, it looks like with all the data you have here it is probably the ISP.

I think I get what the service tech is saying here. But if the community is growing, and they are one of the larger providers, it begs the question why more service boxes aren't installed on your area? You're paying for the best package, you'd think they would have done this in the past 3 years.

See, this is what we have been wondering. The neighborhood is not small either. Our neighborhood is it's own town because it is so massive, has schools (elementary through high school) and new sections of the neighborhood are always being added to this day. When we asked one of the techs why there are not more service boxes throughout the community, we are just told that they do not know. It's frustrating for me, because I pay for the highest tier package, to get the same service as what should be the lowest tier package. Sometimes when it's really slow, I will go around my house and disconnect every other device connected to wi-fi except my console, in the hopes the speed will increase. Not sure if this works, but it's what I am told to try when calling AT&T.

Xbox NA
    CP810+

• BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »
    Honestly, in my experience, it depends on the speed of your IPS. I'm with Comcast and hardwired so it's never very long for me, but it used to be. I've found that, when using a router provided by the IPS it can be an issue since they have a really screwy refresh queue as well.

Does hard-wiring make a difference? I have seen a lot of people tell how they are hard wired. I am set up in the room on the other side of the wall where our router is. To be hardwired, would I just need to connect an Ethernet cable from my router to my console?
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly helped me. We have great wireless, but the bandwidth is taken up by other Playstations, smart devices and various things (laptops, etc.) throughout the house so I hardwire my PS4 to my router with an Ethernet cord and play away. I do it for all 5 of my systems. It just makes it run more smoothly for me and I don't interfere with the wireless bandwidth.

Does hard-wiring make a difference? I have seen a lot of people tell how they are hard wired. I am set up in the room on the other side of the wall where our router is. To be hardwired, would I just need to connect an Ethernet cable from my router to my console?

• Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To echo DenMoria, yes. It has helped me.

On top of putting my PS4 Pro on Ethernet, I set the IP to a Static IP, then DMZ only that address so firewalling does not get in the way. I also set the PS4 IP it uses so it's very far away from other devices on the router(less lag is created when that is done).

You're doing the right thing with pestering your ISP service. If you're a customer, who pays their bill on time and has a good track record, there is no excuse for bad service. I don't see why you couldn't speak with a Manager and get the answers you deserve for paying a hefty ISP bandwidth package.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on June 20, 2018 5:59PM
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly helped me. We have great wireless, but the bandwidth is taken up by other Playstations, smart devices and various things (laptops, etc.) throughout the house so I hardwire my PS4 to my router with an Ethernet cord and play away. I do it for all 5 of my systems. It just makes it run more smoothly for me and I don't interfere with the wireless bandwidth.

Okay, well I am going to have to give this a try, then. Thanks for the info!
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. What is your rated internet speed (should say what package you have on your bill)? You can check your current speed here. Saying you have the fastest package available doesn't mean much as the fastest speeds in rural areas in the US are usually extremely slow.

2. Most wifi routers are capped at 50-100 Mbps download speed (which is quite slow). So even if you subscribe to higher download speeds than that, you'll only experience them through a wired connection.

If you were getting 7-11 mb/s, that's 56-88 Mbps. If you are paying for higher download speeds than that, then your problem is that you're on wifi.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 20, 2018 6:11PM
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BozzyTheDrummer
    The closer to a "service"point you are the less the "speed" of the data being sent and received will be affected. It is like a signal amplifier it will increase the power of the signal, but if you are further away from the amplifier more power will have been lost again on the way to you and your internet connection slows down.

Cord is still much better then wireless. So maybe try that. Also it could be your router slowing you down if it is Not set up properly and so on. But look like it is your isp.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. What is your rated internet speed (should say what package you have on your bill)? You can check your current speed here. Saying you have the fastest package available doesn't mean much as the fastest speeds in rural areas in the US are usually extremely slow.

2. Most wifi routers are capped at 50-100 Mbps download speed (which is quite slow). So even if you subscribe to higher download speeds than that, you'll only experience them through a wired connection.

If you were getting 7-11 mb/s, that's 56-88 Mbps. If you are paying for higher download speeds than that, then your problem is that you're on wifi.

I am not at home to look up this information at the moment.

But I am on wi-fi as most of the devices in our household are. I am going to try and hardwire my console to see if this helps me at all.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+