The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO would likely grow significantly if PvP received more attention

Urvoth
Urvoth
✭✭✭✭✭
The market for PvP games is massive and yet we still get loading screens, lag, etc while PvPing, not to mention balance issues. ESO's PvP has the potential to really be amazing and it just doesn't get the attention it needs to reach that next level. It seems like ZOS doesn't realize how many people would start playing ESO JUST for high quality PvP.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS's knows how many people came for PvP . They ran into a issue they can never solve with their servers and lag . Part of the problem was having so much client side gave better performance at launch but left the game too vulnerable to hacks and cheats . They've continually had to close off more performance to protect the games integrity . Eso will always struggle with PvP in Cyrodiil because of this . Cheaters ruin everything for everyone . Those that say it's no big deal don't realize the long term problems they create .
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rohamad_Ali

Gamemasters would fix that problem no? I understand that 1-10 wouldn’t, but if they could hire 100 to maintain such a task as their priority then perhaps that could be a possible solution?
    Edited by Casul on June 18, 2018 4:26PM
    PvP needs more love.
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS's knows how many people came for PvP . They ran into a issue they can never solve with their servers and lag . Part of the problem was having so much client side gave better performance at launch but left the game too vulnerable to hacks and cheats . They've continually had to close off more performance to protect the games integrity . Eso will always struggle with PvP in Cyrodiil because of this . Cheaters ruin everything for everyone . Those that say it's no big deal don't realize the long term problems they create .

Thats the most lame excuse ive ever heard lmao
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's easy. Just give 100% PERMANENT bans for cheating. Instead, we get 2 week bans for cheaters and they keep coming back over and over. Client side calculations would work if ZOS had zero tolerance policy. The no name and shame policy let's cheaters get away with it too.
    Edited by Skoomah on June 18, 2018 4:45PM
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »
    @Rohamad_Ali

Gamemasters would fix that problem no? I understand that 1-10 wouldn’t, but if they could hire 100 to maintain such a task as their priority then perhaps that could be a possible solution?

Where would the funding come from to hire 100 plus employees strictly for pvp?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are tons of PvP games, and competition is high. Good PvE games are rare. I really doubt that switching focus from PvE to PvP could do any good for ESO. After all, it was planned as primarily PvP game and everyone remember what a fiasco it was. Now ESO is growing PVE MMOs, and let it be so, with some PvP to kill time between new DLC.

Obviously PvPers dominate on forums, but - judging by proportion of players in Cyr/overland/dungeons in my trade guilds - silent casual PVErs are majority in the game.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rohamad_Ali

Maybe . I'm sure it would make it a difference but how much I'm not sure . Moving calculations away from the client and making server side checks is the most affordable probably . After the original lighting patch along update 2 , there was a anti bot program added that some believe caused the most problems . It would require going backwards and digging deep in code to be sure but ZoS has never and will probably never give out details as to why this occurred or if it can fixed ever .
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rohamad_Ali that's why they need to focus on BGs and possible Arenas, plus overall balance across the game. That's the only way PVP could ever grow in this game. Cyrodiil does not seem like it's going anywhere, so best to just do what you can in terms of performance and focus on other PVP modes.

I think it's a shame that because one PVP mode is doomed to stay a failure, others do not get explored and developed further.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rohamad_Ali that's why they need to focus on BGs and possible Arenas, plus overall balance across the game. That's the only way PVP could ever grow in this game. Cyrodiil does not seem like it's going anywhere, so best to just do what you can in terms of performance and focus on other PVP modes.

I think it's a shame that because one PVP mode is doomed to stay a failure, others do not get explored and developed further.

@LegendaryMage

It appears to be the focus of ZoS now with PvP . Although I don't think they hit the mark for everyone's play style with battlegrounds . I see a lot of complaints regarding turning PvP into a sports game instead of giving the death match style some prefer . Long queues and no choice of game style at the beginning made these problematic . Having them behind a pay gate also caused popularity issues . They are moving in a better direction now but really need some fresh ideas and new approaches to the cookie cutter from other games copied instances .
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@LegendaryMage

It appears to be the focus of ZoS now with PvP . Although I don't think they hit the mark for everyone's play style with battlegrounds . I see a lot of complaints regarding turning PvP into a sports game instead of giving the death match style some prefer . Long queues and no choice of game style at the beginning made these problematic . Having them behind a pay gate also caused popularity issues . They are moving in a better direction now but really need some fresh ideas and new approaches to the cookie cutter from other games copied instances .

Most definitely. Wouldn't hurt for some more originality for sure.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »
    @Rohamad_Ali

Where would the funding come from to hire 100 plus employees strictly for pvp?
    Let alone a single freakin' GM. Just one. You see people openly talking about exploiting in zone chat, or people who are doing it. I've never seen a GM step in. I've never seen the people who are openly being discussed about CLEARLY exploiting have any action taken against them. I know it happens, and I know they exist, but as it stands ZOS relies on people to report things to take action. Unless you're recording PVP 24/7 and have tangible evidence there's almost no way to show these shenanigans going on.

So when these PVP groups keep rushing through the invisible walls into keeps nothing happens because people aren't recording it, and even then, when you report the people a week later you still see them doing the same thing. It's hard to have any trust/faith that these issues are being actioned on.

Heck, I've seen bot trains weeks later doing the same thing over and over, and despite having multiple reports (with video) t hey still kept showing up.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm with OP in this. I love the PvE content, and I've completed a fair amount of it for fun. However, my main interest in this game is PvP, and most PvEing that I do is to augment my PvPing by way of gear drops or skill line development. There are actually a LOT of us who feel this way, probably far more than a "small minority/vocal majority" as was suggested. Neither way of approaching the game is necessarily wrong, but the cheating absolutely is. If someone is garbage enough that they have to resort to cheating, I agree with the 100% permaban option. Get those people out of here as they're not wanted by the rest of the (non-cheating) community.

We don't need much since things are mostly great the way they are, and no one is suggesting that we get special prizes or stickers, but a concentrated focus on game performance would do wonders.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP makes an assumption without any real basis. Zos tends to use actual market information to support assumptions they make.

1. PvP is free in ESO (except IC) so it does not drive revenue like PvE does.
    2. Most successful PvP games have an extremely different business model which needs to be taken into consideration when having this discussion. Cannot compare ESO and LoL without understanding this.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    OP makes an assumption without any real basis. Zos tends to use actual market information to support assumptions they make.

2. Most successful PvP games have an extremely different business model which needs to be taken into consideration when having this discussion. Cannot compare ESO and LoL without understanding this.

It doesn’t quite. But just taking the pvpers money for 3 years and give them poop isn’t great either.

As a pvp guild leader of about 15 solid people (and by solid I mean good understanding of all mechanics in game as well as log on 3-5 times per week) none of them use the free mount. They all bought morrowind and summer set(except 2 because of how laggy it’s been on console). All bought Crown Crates multiple packs. All have Eso plus. All have different purchased costumes.

So while pvers do make more purchases on paper I doubt ESO looks at a Players purchases and then sees they play more pvp than pve.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I predominately play pvp and I have access to everything, if anything pvp players probably spend more money since sets are locked behind paywalls. Pvp players have to buy the same content to stay up to date.

Anyways people will pay for good pvp content. It’s funny that pvp is the minority but over esos life span the most popular streamers happen to pvp players.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I predominately play pvp and I have access to everything, if anything pvp players probably spend more money since sets are locked behind paywalls. Pvp players have to buy the same content to stay up to date.

Anyways people will pay for good pvp content. It’s funny that pvp is the minority but over esos life span the most popular streamers happen to pvp players.

All the larger streamers have typically been PvP players, and even for smaller channels, PvP players tend to get more views. PvP is just more interesting to watch. Also, a lot of PvP players in other games do tend to spend money so there isn't much reason to think they wouldn't in ESO, though oftentimes it tends to be more on cosmetic purchases while getting free content updates like maps, weapons, modes, etc. All the ESO PvP players I know have bought mounts, costumes, crates, and even ESO+. After a few minutes in Cyrodiil, it becomes pretty apparent that nearly everyone in there has at least bought a mount.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »

It doesn’t quite. But just taking the pvpers money for 3 years and give them poop isn’t great either.

As a pvp guild leader of about 15 solid people (and by solid I mean good understanding of all mechanics in game as well as log on 3-5 times per week) none of them use the free mount. They all bought morrowind and summer set(except 2 because of how laggy it’s been on console). All bought Crown Crates multiple packs. All have Eso plus. All have different purchased costumes.

So while pvers do make more purchases on paper I doubt ESO looks at a Players purchases and then sees they play more pvp than pve.

Do PvE players make more purchases though? Pretty much everyone in Cyrodiil at least has a mount, and I frequently see players wearing costumes. It's rarer to see someone with the default brown horse than with a store/crate mount imo.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol....people cheating(or people thinking that others cheat) is the very last reason why Cyrodil and PvP in general suffers.
    ESO PvP is dying because of:
    1. Terrible server performance and constant lag.
    2. Bugs that have been around since launch and have never been fixed.
    3. Broken and overpowered/underpowered classes, crappy game mechanics and downright stupid and imbalanced things like proc sets.
    Edited by Akinos on June 18, 2018 7:28PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Odd, I never said PvP players to not ever pay anything and using yourself as an example does not have any bearing on the greater population. We do not know exactly who pays what but it is pretty clear Zos sees PvE as a bigger revenue driver based on what they do add to the game.
    • Think on that for a moment since Zos chose to not add an open world PvP aspect to the justice system in DB. Kinda of telling where they see their biggest revenue source by far.

However, the bigger issue that both you and the person that replied before you chose to ignore is one cannot compare successful PvP MMOs to ESO without looking at what is different about them.

Again, my comment was in reply to the huge assumptions made in the OP without anything to support it.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Odd, I never said PvP players to not ever pay anything and using yourself as an example does not have any bearing on the greater population. We do not know exactly who pays what but it is pretty clear Zos sees PvE as a bigger revenue driver based on what they do add to the game.
    • Think on that for a moment since Zos chose to not add an open world PvP aspect to the justice system in DB. Kinda of telling where they see their biggest revenue source by far.

However, the bigger issue that both you and the person that replied before you chose to ignore is one cannot compare successful PvP MMOs to ESO without looking at what is different about them.

Again, my comment was in reply to the huge assumptions made in the OP without anything to support it.

What assumptions? The current PvP issues are not assumptions, and you didn't consider that PvP players also play PvE, though perhaps not to the extend that hardcore PvE players do. PvP players tend to prefer cosmetic purchases alongside free PvP content updates, hence why most recent PvP games use this model. ESO already has the crown store and a cosmetic purchase model outside of DLC, so there isn't much reason to think PvP players wouldn't generate revenue.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »

Lol....people cheating(or people thinking that others cheat) is the very last reason why Cyrodil and PvP in general suffers.
    3. Broken and overpowered/underpowered classes, crappy game mechanics and downright stupid and imbalanced things like proc sets.

agreed. And if i had to contribute a numerical value to which is more important, i would say:
    1. 80%
    2. 1%
    3. 19%

fix the lag/performances, and youd have ALOT of players coming back.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

agreed. And if i had to contribute a numerical value to which is more important, i would say:
    1. 80%
    2. 1%
    3. 19%

Sounds about right, if they could just fix server performance the game would be so much better off. I've never been able to recommend this game to people because of how bad the performance is. Not one person.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s easier to release pve content rather than pvp content, especially in a game that revolves around Elder Scrolls Lore.

Pvp and group content is what’s popular right now in gaming. Probably why every game caters to online play, even single player games have a multiplayer thrown in for the hell of it at times.

There’s no real indication of what pvp players will bring to the table for pvp revenue, albeit i highly doubt pvp players wouldn’t buy content dedicated to them. Imperial city sold & it was a ”pvp” update. Unfortunately it didn’t have any longevity, if anything zos fears it’ll happen again.

I never said you said pvp players didn’t buy content, I’m saying pvp players buy dlc (I’m sure many pvp players can say they buy pve content) and things from the crown store just as much. How many sets are locked behind a paywall, how many complaints do we see everyday about them?
    Edited by CatchMeTrolling on June 18, 2018 8:39PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »

What assumptions? The current PvP issues are not assumptions, and you didn't consider that PvP players also play PvE, though perhaps not to the extend that hardcore PvE players do. PvP players tend to prefer cosmetic purchases alongside free PvP content updates, hence why most recent PvP games use this model. ESO already has the crown store and a cosmetic purchase model outside of DLC, so there isn't much reason to think PvP players wouldn't generate revenue.

First, you are putting words in my mouth which is highly inappropriate.

Your assumption has to do with PvP specifically and you assume that if Zos paid more attention to PvP they would see the game grow significantly yet the only reason you provide is that the market for PvP is sizable.

And again the most important comment, about business models of most successful PvP games, is ignored.

BTW: based on the assumption in the OP the addition of BGs to the base game would be a huge boon for Zos. but this comment will probably distract from the bigger issue I bring up.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your assumption has to do with PvP specifically and you assume that if Zos paid more attention to PvP they would see the game grow significantly yet the only reason you provide is that the market for PvP is sizable.

And again the most important comment, about business models of most successful PvP games, is ignored.

BTW: based on the assumption in the OP the addition of BGs to the base game would be a huge boon for Zos. but this comment will probably distract from the bigger issue I bring up.

I replied to the wrong comment, sorry. Was talking about your previous one.
    Edited by Urvoth on June 18, 2018 9:02PM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You need to understand that cheating itself no, but the more you place on the server to verify and proccess, the more performance hit you are going to have on said server. In the most egregious example i can think of...... allowing most executions and game checks to be client side turns your game into open bnet diablo 2 tier.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Their fault for praising a cheater's "build" that allowed mitigation tanks would have loved and never really do anything until there's x amount of complaints is reached. Now, the definition of cheating I am using is use of exploits to actual use of third party programs. They could have also kept some non essentials on client if they were actively managing the game but they are very much focused on Crown Store rehash for years to come.

Also, PvP is dead because of terribad performance and imbalance more than anything.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on June 18, 2018 11:17PM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »

I replied to the wrong comment, sorry. Was talking about your previous one.

The reply still does not change.
  • Swimguy
    Swimguy
    ✭✭✭
    Soella wrote: »
    There are tons of PvP games, and competition is high. Good PvE games are rare. I really doubt that switching focus from PvE to PvP could do any good for ESO. After all, it was planned as primarily PvP game and everyone remember what a fiasco it was. Now ESO is growing PVE MMOs, and let it be so, with some PvP to kill time between new DLC.

Obviously PvPers dominate on forums, but - judging by proportion of players in Cyr/overland/dungeons in my trade guilds - silent casual PVErs are majority in the game.

PvPers dominate forums because PvP is broken. How many PvErs do you see complaining? just the bad ones
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

1. 80%
    2. 1%
    3. 19%

Sounds about right, if they could just fix server performance the game would be so much better off. I've never been able to recommend this game to people because of how bad the performance is. Not one person.

I too have never been able to recommend ESO, but for a different reason: the grind to Max CP is absolutely asinine. I talk to my brother often games, and never recommend ESO. In fact, I tell him to stay away because if this.

Because I have played since launch I have never had to grind CP, ever. It's a huge barrier to entry. PvP games should have a very small barrier to entry but a steep learning curve.