The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Named mobs

Lunaugh
Lunaugh
✭✭✭
Greetings fellow forum denizens,
ESO is my first dive into the world of MMO's.
That being said, I've been playing games like it across a decade or two.
From top down 3rd person point-click fighters like Diablo II and Torchlight, I know hunting named mobs can be a blast.
I'm not certain what element it is that is missing; or if there is an element missing at all. It has been a very long time since I played those titles, and as an individual I've changed quite a bit.

In Diablo II I found myself seeking out caves and hollows, revisiting old sites every so often for the increased chance in finding a named monster and looting the spoils.
In ESO, I find myself completing only new delves and moving on to the next completion bonus. I only re-visit select delves for their unique layout for lo-dps solo-grinds.

A significant difference between Diablo II and ESO unique monsters: in Diablo II I never questioned that the monster I was fighting was named. It was unmistakable. In ESO, I've been playing the game for 2 years and I only recently realized that named mobs do in-fact appear (I ran into a named whisp mother in a gold-Coast delve that wasn't the delve boss).

What this tells me is that I've run into named mobs before and was not-so-blissfully unaware of it.
To that point, I've never seen anyone discussing named mobs in zone chat.

My opinion: Named mobs need to be flashy and unmistakable. Imagine a fox-red Were-wolf, or a one armed troll, or a mudcrab with a very large claw. Don't recycle for Named mobs; build unique.
They need to have their rare loot chance turned up XX%. Their loot shouldn't be better than an area boss, but there should be a distinct and unique advantage to seeking them out; maybe some sets are only dropped from named mobs, or sets not usually found in the area can be looted, etc. Maybe they drop legendary tempers.

Thoughts?
dataOutput ={ }
function: ConvertMagica (dataOutput, magicaInput, skill,fn)
>>> if skill then do
>>>>>> magicaInput = fn(skill)
>>>>>>table.insert(dataOutput, magicaInput)
>>>end
end
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that named mobs in ESO are certainly...underwhelming. I cant tell you the number of times I have killed a delve boss and only realized they were a boss when their life was at 5%. But to clarify: named mobs are always bosses, its just that some delves have more than one boss. I also agree that they should give loot that is worth seeking them out. I like the idea of them dropping crafting materials...maybe they could drop a heavy sack or equivalent, make them worth farming.
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    named mobs kinda suck now they use to be awesome now their like say what they died in 2 seconds oh well
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't they have a chance of dropping a set item related to the zone they're in? And soul gems, too.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went into a delve yesterday randomly on a fetch quest. When I got to the first mob there was a level 6 relentlessly attacking it. I hit the B button once and it melted. I ended up doing the whole delve where I let the guy get his hit in for XP and then one button fireworks melted whatever he hit so he could move on. When we got to the boss I let him play with his food for a bit and then I killed the boss in like 3 seconds.

Long story short, the disparity between an end game player and a new one is astronomical. Back at launch, when everyone was a low level, NPCs like Doshia where TOUGH AF. There was once a T-shirt printed that said “I survived pre-nerf Doshia”. Of course a lot of people complained and now we are where we are; bosses that don’t feel like bosses for all but absolute beginners.

Personally if I want a solo challenge I look for world bosses. Some of them are still darn near impossible for a solo player unless they play it perfectly. The “bosses” in delves are just loot chests that tickle back at this point.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on June 13, 2018 2:53PM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know. My experience with D3 is that most of the time we are melting a named mob before we realize it. So YMMV.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Lunaugh
    Lunaugh
    ✭✭✭
    @alnilame : what is YMMV? and I said Diablo II, not D3.
    dataOutput ={ }
    function: ConvertMagica (dataOutput, magicaInput, skill,fn)
    >>> if skill then do
    >>>>>> magicaInput = fn(skill)
    >>>>>>table.insert(dataOutput, magicaInput)
    >>>end
    end
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lunaugh wrote: »

Your Mileage May Vary.
    *Steps on the gas and melts a boss.*
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lunaugh wrote: »

Oh. Sorry. My eyes just joined the "I" you had right after. I see starkerealm already answered your question.

To expand, there are a number of named mobs around that are not world bosses that may or may not be associated with a side-quest. But if they were too tough, people would complain about it.

The Moot Councillor
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Craglorn used to have a bunch of overland named enemies, before it was rebalanced to be a solo friendly zone. They where larger supercharged version of regular mobs, as strong as a world boss, but not actually a world boss. I used to challenge myself trying to take them down solo.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Craglorn used to have a bunch of overland named enemies, before it was rebalanced to be a solo friendly zone. They where larger supercharged version of regular mobs, as strong as a world boss, but not actually a world boss. I used to challenge myself trying to take them down solo.

They are still there. Most of them at least. They are a bit easier now, but still noticeably harder than other mobs.

My favourite lore-wise is the scorpion near Rahni-Za.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think named mobs should drop unique loot. That being said until ZOS comes out with a Collection scheme, it is all decon fodder just like generic loot or unwanted set items.

There is an achievment for killing named mobs. While intended for Group Dungeons, it also applies to most, if not all Delves too.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    driosketch wrote: »

They are still there. Most of them at least. They are a bit easier now, but still noticeably harder than other mobs.

My favourite lore-wise is the scorpion near Rahni-Za.

I have not seen the scorpion or the welwa since the change, and the war cheif appears to be just a generic mob now.
    Edited by driosketch on June 14, 2018 6:29PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they have a chance of dropping a set item related to the zone they're in? And soul gems, too.

They always drop a zone item and gem. Other drops may vary.