The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What is the best PvP support tank you know of?

NoFlash
NoFlash
✭✭✭
What is their class and what about them makes them stand out as a support tank?
Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar and it’s not even close.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks in PVP don't offer much support. They simply act as a sponge absorbing damage but are not capable of anything more.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Played vs a magplar the other night that 3 of us smacking him for 10mins couldn't take down. He was spamming to pick up our relic and when he started to get low on resources he would cast meditate, of course we would bash it then he would just cast it again and get his magika and stamina back while we couldn't interrupt it.

It was very cancer but it was also pretty bad@ss, cause yea we couldn't kill him but whats he hurting XD
  • a1i3nz
    a1i3nz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

Lol ru serious?

Make a negate tank. Infinitely more useful.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a1i3nz wrote: »

Lol ru serious?

You’re trolling me. Of all the tank classes to choose from for a support role, that’s the one with the least group utility. Negate is a high cost offensive ult. The sorc tank won’t contribute anything else to the group... the only scenario in which it might make sense is a warden duo because then the sorc could also contribute CC.. but a warden sorc duo has no purify and would get wrecked by defile..

Sorc can be useful and negate is extremely strong, but it’s something you add to a group once you’ve already got a purify... it’s a 5th or 6th spot, and better off on a dps like magsorc or Stam sorc to get those clutch executed through endless fury or spin2win + implosion
    Edited by Thogard on May 28, 2018 6:19AM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played vs a magplar the other night that 3 of us smacking him for 10mins couldn't take down. He was spamming to pick up our relic and when he started to get low on resources he would cast meditate, of course we would bash it then he would just cast it again and get his magika and stamina back while we couldn't interrupt it.

It was very cancer but it was also pretty bad@ss, cause yea we couldn't kill him but whats he hurting XD

Was it raknarok? Sounds like my boy rak.

He is the #1 support tank on pc NA atm (tank defined in this case as having >40k hp, just so I don’t *** off every Stam DPS in heavy or every really really tanky magplar) and I’m really glad he’s on my team. My group was the only group in the last GvG to run a full tank (rak) and I’m sure you can see why we like it.

The purify and remembrance and that stuff is great but the blazing shield dmg outweighs the dmg of any other tank spec imo. He has a health warden that we also run but his blazeplar is better IMO.

• ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭

He is the #1 support tank on pc NA atm (tank defined in this case as having >40k hp, just so I don’t *** off every Stam DPS in heavy or every really really tanky magplar) and I’m really glad he’s on my team. My group was the only group in the last GvG to run a full tank (rak) and I’m sure you can see why we like it.

The purify and remembrance and that stuff is great but the blazing shield dmg outweighs the dmg of any other tank spec imo. He has a health warden that we also run but his blazeplar is better IMO.

I think his name was like lendor or lodner or or something like that, with a L i know for sure, I half wanted to ask him what he was using but I decided to just let that be his thing. Not 100% sure but I think that might be a @name.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like magicka warden as a support tank (cred to Thogard for sharing amazing build). Magicka Warden has so much utility for a group it´s ridiculous. It lacks proper burst heals compared to a magicka Templar, but I really enjoy magwarden as a support/tank so far.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think his name was like lendor or lodner or or something like that, with a L i know for sure, I half wanted to ask him what he was using but I decided to just let that be his thing. Not 100% sure but I think that might be a @name.

I know exactly who you’re talking about and he’s really really good too. Less burst dmg than my buddy rak but even harder to kill.

• a1i3nz
    a1i3nz
    ✭✭✭✭

Lol ru serious?

You’re trolling me. Of all the tank classes to choose from for a support role, that’s the one with the least group utility. Negate is a high cost offensive ult. The sorc tank won’t contribute anything else to the group... the only scenario in which it might make sense is a warden duo because then the sorc could also contribute CC.. but a warden sorc duo has no purify and would get wrecked by defile..

Sorc can be useful and negate is extremely strong, but it’s something you add to a group once you’ve already got a purify... it’s a 5th or 6th spot, and better off on a dps like magsorc or Stam sorc to get those clutch executed through endless fury or spin2win + implosion

No, not trolling

Depends on what you're doing. I AP farm and we usually don't need many heals or purify

If you are playing defense than yeah go templar but personally I only need templar healers not tanks
    Edited by a1i3nz on May 28, 2018 8:13AM
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvoAZN wrote: »
    What is their class and what about them makes them stand out as a support tank?

Most classes in group play are "tanks", whether they consider themselves as such, or not. They just use different defensive tactics and skills, but all of them can stand (or avoid) a lot of hits.

That being said, a warden is able to take care of ALL three support roles (purge, rapid, heal) in small groups sufficiently good while - in the case of a StamWarden - still able to inflict some damage.

Edited by Thraben on May 28, 2018 9:52AM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol ru serious?

No, not trolling

Depends on what you're doing. I AP farm and we usually don't need many heals or purify

If you are playing defense than yeah go templar but personally I only need templar healers not tanks

Ok but what is that sorc doing other than negate? What is he doing in between negates? Templar can ditch out dmg with blazing shield and give purifies, Warden does AOE slows and roots, DK can pull zerglings into a destro ball or DB stack or reflect snipe or lay down the nice AOE snares and most importantly when AP farming, can use deep breath to AOE interupt people rezzing. and has longest TTK of any tank receiving healing from another player..

When you say “I AP farm” what size groups do you run? I think that answer would give me more context.

• olesmo
    olesmo
    ✭✭✭

Lol ru serious?

a disruptor build like fengrush was using a while back is actualy rly good. you can setup pushes for your group rly fast, with not much room for opponents to react. you are tanky enought to not die when getting focused for a fjew seconds, and you give your group major vitality whenever you push on enemies.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A blazing tank can have support feel to it...but a TRUE blazing tank is nothing more than a AoE damage dealer.
    Having 40k health and using blazing shield does not equal being a blazing tank.

And nowadays they are useless without healers...and the damage they deal is miserable.

Only good for running a few of them inside a large pvp raid group with heals and another enemy team equally large spamming aoes on your group. Otherwise pretty useless. Can't 1vX with them anymore....like the good old days
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olesmo wrote: »

Lol ru serious?

a disruptor build like fengrush was using a while back is actualy rly good. you can setup pushes for your group rly fast, with not much room for opponents to react. you are tanky enought to not die when getting focused for a fjew seconds, and you give your group major vitality whenever you push on enemies.

True, and I’ve fought against that in the GvGs. We actually had three fights against that setup with us using a blazeplar and them using fengrush playing on that disruptor sorc build. It was good fights but IMO that group would’ve done better if feng had been on DPS, and if you watch feng’s stream of their fights with my group he says the same thing.

Our blazeplar runs vamp drain so we have him CC enemy healers during our burst windows. It’s a tougher stun to break out of than anything in the sorc kit (for a healer anyway, who isn’t worried about roots)
    Edited by Thogard on May 28, 2018 7:34PM

• barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭

Lol ru serious?

I will run dw/2h reactive/we hide/bloodspawn with 2h asylum on my Stam sorc just for building negate. I'm tanky, gen ult fast while pumping out aoe bleeds with carve and spamming rending slashes as my hurricane and bleeds proc implosion.