The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Upgrading jewelry to gold: 8,000 raw mats? (corrected: 13,600 raw mats)

• Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orticia wrote: »
    Yep, jewelcrafting is so underwhelming to me it borders on the verge of useless.[...]
    "Useless" is the correct word here. I only research the traits so I can transmute my existing jewelry. You just need to compare its some trivial crafting:
    Without taking required traits into account.
    How many resources I need to craft a gold Hunding's Rage dagger?
    How many resources I need to craft a gold Hunding's Rage ring?

Right now, JCrafting serves as a additional step for transmuting your existing jewelry, nothing else.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blah. It just widens th3 gap between player base. Those that had gold jewlery will still have it those that did not still wont have it. Those that thought we were getting it got suckered in and kicked in the teeth.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah doing over 85 max tier JC writs so far and only getting 2/10 lesser legendary tempers is just degrading and how poorly this was designed
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're probably just making it really difficult so they can sell you a solution in the Crown Store, right? I assume they're going to be selling packs of mats or upgrade scrolls or something.
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got to rank 3/3 in the extraction skill so I refined all my raw mats.

680 mats refined for 4 gold thingies (that you need 10 of to make one plating).

So, using my admittedly small sample size:

170 raw per gold thingie
    1700 raw per gold plating
    13,600 raws to upgrade one jewelry piece to gold.

You read that right: 13,600 raw materials to upgrade one jewelry item to gold.

• f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewelry crafting just isn't really going to be a thing. We are all just going to learn the traits and basically only use the whole skill line to transmute a few drop sets. A few of the new traits look interesting.

ZOS choice to make everything cost 10x on jewelry crafting just basically means that nobody is ever going to actually make any set items. People think that it is a temporary situation but think of it now. Would you use any crafted gear if it took 40x purples to make it purple or 80x golds to make it gold. Heck no, you would just collect purple drop sets as they are just not that hard to come by. Same with jewelry. Jewelry set crafting is just not going to be a thing.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    I just got to rank 3/3 in the extraction skill so I refined all my raw mats.

680 mats refined for 4 gold thingies (that you need 10 of to make one plating).

So, using my admittedly small sample size:

170 raw per gold thingie
    1700 raw per gold plating
    13,600 raws to upgrade one jewelry piece to gold.

You read that right: 13,600 raw materials to upgrade one jewelry item to gold.

This is totally insane.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't you just buy gold mats from other players?
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup you can.
    Not very enticing for a single crafted ring to cost like 1.5-2mil gold though. Don’t you think that’s like.... just a bit too much? At least a tad....
  • Ulo
    Ulo
    ✭✭✭✭
    The grind is stupidly ridiculous, i understand there has to be some grind but who the hell thought it would be a good idea to make it...this.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you can definitely buy the gold mats from others, but you'd hit the same wall, because somebody has to pick up that ~13k ore for the platings (or get enough gold jewellery ro decon) and they'll be understandably very expensive. Even purple quality will be difficult: I managed to upgrade a blue ring after deconstructing numerous purple jewels, refining ~700 ore, and still had to buy 15 grains, just to have those 4 platings, for one piece. As everyone said in this thread, it seems JC will be used mostly for transmuting, at least for the time being.

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

Yup you can.
    Not very enticing for a single crafted ring to cost like 1.5-2mil gold though. Don’t you think that’s like.... just a bit too much? At least a tad....

Meh. Gold jewelry ought to be rare. Something to work for if you want to. The reasons why have already been later out in this thread. In the end, it is really not hard to get purple dropped jewelry, if you really want it, gold drops fron trials don't really take much either, I am not a high end trial guy and I have 2 full sets of both VO and IA in gold and they are pretty much meta.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on May 28, 2018 8:43AM
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup you can.

Meh. Gold jewelry ought to be rare. Something to work for if you want to. The reasons why have already been later out in this thread. In the end, it is really not hard to get purple dropped jewelry, if you really want it, gold drops fron trials don't really take much either, I am not a high end trial guy and I have 2 full sets of both VO and IA in gold and they are pretty much meta.

You got gold Eternal Hunt rings aswell?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ErMurazor wrote: »

Yup you can.

No, vicious ophidian and infallible Aether. For Pve, the 3 piece for both is mathematically the same as the the max stat you get from moondancer and war machine. Eternal hunt is a craftable set, use for PvP, for the free stun and damage. You will see no difference between purple and gold in PvP, Pve is we're that extra 1-3% of stats actually matters.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    They have done it this way so existing gold jewelry and the golden vendor doesn't become redundant.

It's a good system if you ask me because it makes gold jewelry special - truly legendary and not something everyone can have

*** the golden vendor.
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other thing that’s important to consider is that JC nodes are the rarest in the game since they are shared with smithing ore. It looks to me that you find one JC node for every 4-5 ore nodes. So the 13,000 raws you need are going to take 4x or 5x as long to farm.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [You will see no difference between purple and gold in PvP, Pve is we're that extra 1-3% of stats actually matters.

Yawn.

2/10 on the PvP baiting attempt.

Some PvE players disagree that the difference between purple and gold is actually worth theorycrafting for.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [You will see no difference between purple and gold in PvP, Pve is we're that extra 1-3% of stats actually matters.

Yawn.

Some PvE players disagree that the difference between purple and gold is actually worth theorycrafting for.

you are a funny guy, i am one of those pve players. i dont intend to go out of my way to get gold mats to upgrade my jewelry. i see no point. but there are some trial players that really care about them and are pushing for top time and such, that is where that 1-3% matters. even you ought to see that.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course you can. The refined gold pieces are selling for 3-400k on PC/NA. So you know, 2.4-3.2 Million gold to upgrade one piece of jewelery from purple to gold. In other words, 5 to 6 times the most expensive ring from the golden vendor. And even in the BOE market, it is rare that any jewelry goes for much more than that.

Yawn.

you are a funny guy, i am one of those pve players. i dont intend to go out of my way to get gold mats to upgrade my jewelry. i see no point. but there are some trial players that really care about them and are pushing for top time and such, that is where that 1-3% matters. even you ought to see that.

Very few sets give 3% boost from purple to gold, however you want to quantify the 3%. Ultimately, there are two types of sets. Those whose 5th piece bonus scales with quality, and those that dont. If the 5th piece bonus doesnt scale, nobody other than a robot doing a million parses is going to feel a measurable difference. If the 5th piece bonus does scale, the best of the best will probably feel it, but even then, it is barely worth it. This is coming from a guy that makes just about everything in this game gold for all 15 toons.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 29, 2018 3:59PM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yup you can.

No, vicious ophidian and infallible Aether. For Pve, the 3 piece for both is mathematically the same as the the max stat you get from moondancer and war machine. Eternal hunt is a craftable set, use for PvP, for the free stun and damage. You will see no difference between purple and gold in PvP, Pve is we're that extra 1-3% of stats actually matters.

You said that Gold Jewelry should be rare and difficult to get and have to work for it, yet you admit there is basically no difference between gold and purple.

If the increase from purple to gold is so minimal? Why should it be so expensive and difficult?

Also LOL at the idea that min/max is not important in PvP. Funny stuff there.
  • Ardan147
    Ardan147
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll just go with the gold pieces that I bought from the golden vendor or from guild traders. So far the only thing I've actually used the new system for has been to transmute two gold rings of Elf Bane to arcane.

I'll probably just sell the gold platings I get since I'm never actually going to use something that expensive.
    Edited by Ardan147 on May 29, 2018 4:16PM
    This creature called a songbird. What a devious creation! This winged nuisance erodes sanity with its incessant chirping. What a brilliant form of torture!
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    It's only been a week. A year from now, you'll have plenty of gold refine mats to play with.

Well, lets hope they are part of the loot from anniversary then. ;)
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

Yup you can.

You said that Gold Jewelry should be rare and difficult to get and have to work for it, yet you admit there is basically no difference between gold and purple.

1-3% to me and you is nothing, to some people that is huge. 3% increase to a dps that is doing 40k dps is 1.2k dps, in a fight that lasts for 15 minutes, that will save almost 30 seconds of off the fight. that is a lot of time to people that are going for time.
    If the increase from purple to gold is so minimal? Why should it be so expensive and difficult?

so that not everyone gets it?

most pvp kills are burst while your target is stunned, your fight is over is under 3-5 seconds, hardly enough time to have 3% of damage become pronounced.

@Oreyn_Bearclaw Very few sets give 3% boost from purple to gold, however you want to quantify the 3%. Ultimately, there are two types of sets. Those whose 5th piece bonus scales with quality, and those that dont. If the 5th piece bonus doesnt scale, nobody other than a robot doing a million parses is going to feel a measurable difference. If the 5th piece bonus does scale, the best of the best will probably feel it, but even then, it is barely worth it. This is coming from a guy that makes just about everything in this game gold for all 15 toons.

i am not just talking about the 5 piece in that 1-3%, i am just stating the trait stat difference from purple to gold. three 2520 max stat to 2610 gold max stat, which is a 4% increase or 834 gold damage glyphs with gold (60%) infused or 786 with gold dmage glyphs with purple (51%) infused, which is a 6% increase. when you are talking about five piece that scales, like hundings or julianos, you get about the same, 288 to 299, which is around a 4% increase. looking at your comment, i do not think you have ever done the math with these numbers.

and feelings are subjective. some people feel the difference between 1% increase and a 3% and some do not. the numbers i have put forth are objective.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

Yup you can.

1-3% to me and you is nothing, to some people that is huge. 3% increase to a dps that is doing 40k dps is 1.2k dps, in a fight that lasts for 15 minutes, that will save almost 30 seconds of off the fight. that is a lot of time to people that are going for time.

so that not everyone gets it?

most pvp kills are burst while your target is stunned, your fight is over is under 3-5 seconds, hardly enough time to have 3% of damage become pronounced.

@Oreyn_Bearclaw Very few sets give 3% boost from purple to gold, however you want to quantify the 3%. Ultimately, there are two types of sets. Those whose 5th piece bonus scales with quality, and those that dont. If the 5th piece bonus doesnt scale, nobody other than a robot doing a million parses is going to feel a measurable difference. If the 5th piece bonus does scale, the best of the best will probably feel it, but even then, it is barely worth it. This is coming from a guy that makes just about everything in this game gold for all 15 toons.

i am not just talking about the 5 piece in that 1-3%, i am just stating the trait stat difference from purple to gold. three 2520 max stat to 2610 gold max stat, which is a 4% increase or 834 gold damage glyphs with gold (60%) infused or 786 with gold dmage glyphs with purple (51%) infused, which is a 6% increase. when you are talking about five piece that scales, like hundings or julianos, you get about the same, 288 to 299, which is around a 4% increase. looking at your comment, i do not think you have ever done the math with these numbers.

and feelings are subjective. some people feel the difference between 1% increase and a 3% and some do not. the numbers i have put forth are objective.

I am aware of the math, which is why I wasnt quite sure what you meant by "1-3% of stats" (hence my wording). Yes, its a 4% increase of the additive stats (in your example) from comparing just the purple and gold versions of the sets. But whether the 2-4 gives you 2610 or 2520, that extra 90 magic or whatever is barely noticeable when your magic pool is 40k. Really that extra 90 magic is going to bump your attribute pool by like 0.2%. It is certainly not boosting DPS by 1-3 percent if you upgrade rings from purple to gold.

Sorry if that was confusing. I guess in my view its a little misleading to say that going from Purple to Gold jewelry will give you a 1-3% of extra stats, as the final stat pools from both options are less than a quarter of a percent apart.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 29, 2018 9:18PM
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More too-small-a-sample-size Math.

I just farmed my most lucrative farming spot for 60 minutes and got 300 platinum dust.

Assuming you need 13,600 to upgrade one jewelry item, it will take...wait for it...45 HOURS to farm the raws needed to upgrade a single jewelry item.

• Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    More too-small-a-sample-size Math.

I just farmed my most lucrative farming spot for 60 minutes and got 300 platinum dust.

Assuming you need 13,600 to upgrade one jewelry item, it will take...wait for it...45 HOURS to farm the raws needed to upgrade a single jewelry item.

Should be way more than 13,600 cause most of the time I only get 1 full temper in nearly 15k dust, I have also got 13 characters to max JC as well and letting everyone know it was just a rip off and waste of $ the rewards are in no way good at all.

Out of nearly 200 max tier writs so far I have only managed to scrounge one swift ring and 2/10 lesser legendary tempers I mean come the eff on.
    Edited by Cpt_Teemo on May 30, 2018 7:17PM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you have full refining passives if you want gold grains.

It takes forever, but its probably about the same time as waiting around for the Golden Vendor to come up with the jewelry you want (assuming the vendor even stocks it).

Yeah, but you can do other things during the waiting for the Golden Vendor forever.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ferrofluid wrote: »
    I would suggest ignoring gold jewellery. Is an extra 60 total max stat or a tiny bit more from infused that important to you? Will you kill more players or kill a trial boss any faster?

I'm just going to sell any gold mats I get and hope for the jewellery I want on the vendor. The only reason to do jewellery crafting is for the transmute imo.

The transmute alone is pretty awesome, to be fair.
  • Debatra
    Debatra
    This is obscene. When I saw that you needed to refine raw mats into platings, I figured the only way to make it feasible would be to let one of a plating guarantee the upgrade. Mind you, that would still be ridiculous for low-tier crafting (with the relevant skill maxed out, it only takes two of the lowest-tier mat to upgrade from white to green), but it would roughly level out since it would obviate the need for the relevant skill to even exist.

For now, I guess all I can do is to add my voice to the chorus of "this sucks and needs to be changed".

Once again just for good measure: The current system is nothing short of an insult.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can guarantee you this, when crafters/farmers are the only ones running around with all gold gear those who dont like doing this stuff are gonna cry foul so loud that they will either nerf the items to being almost useless and/ or nerf the entire JC system to be inline with the rest of crafting and it will only take you maybe an hour to gather enough mats to make your items.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%