The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Upgrading jewelry to gold: 8,000 raw mats? (corrected: 13,600 raw mats)

• Vostorn
    Vostorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    It's only been a week. A year from now, you'll have plenty of gold refine mats to play with.

^this... it will take time.

just like every other craft skill.

so it takes a bit longer?

fine, i'll stick with it.

The complain is more about the time needed to upgrade piece rather than time needed to level the skill line.

What's a point of leveling JC if it is useless ?

I think it would be much more better is the grind was on the skill line and not on the upgrade mats.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vostorn wrote: »
    It's only been a week. A year from now, you'll have plenty of gold refine mats to play with.

The complain is more about the time needed to upgrade piece rather than time needed to level the skill line.

I think it would be much more better is the grind was on the skill line and not on the upgrade mats.

time to farm?
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lihentian wrote: »
    we tried to warn people before it went live.. but noooooo many people think the grind is good..........now we all must suffer for it.

They weren't going to change anything. The same balance concerns and concerns over people not running dungeons are still there. They wanted something big to sell though so they did this. It's not like they are surprised and aren't sure how to proceed.

How does a set of blue swift night silence sound? It's nothing like the gold hundings I had in mind. Or the gold sets I wanted to make from blue drops I get soloing normals. But I think it may still be fun. I think that's the level they wanted to add so they did.

this never made sense to me, its not like you can just craft a netch ring. you still have to do the dungeon to get it.

and for the golden, good jewelry sells for around 120k they have made gold plating 10 times more valuable than temps if they rop at the same rate, which someone already said they dont. but if did drop as often as temps golding out 1 ring will cost you around 640k so just under 5.5* as much as buying it from a trader.
  • Vostorn
    Vostorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vostorn wrote: »

time to farm?

Yes. The reward of spending time to level crafting skill lines should be that it should spare your time on the long term.

What's the point to level JC as it is now ?

Craft high level gear ? It will be so expansive that you won't, especially considering that crafted sets are usually weaker than dropped ones.

Upgrade ? Same as above, it's too expansive.

Transmute ? You don't need to level for that.

This is bad design imho.
  • Aerius_Sygale
    Aerius_Sygale
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest ignoring gold jewellery. Is an extra 60 total max stat or a tiny bit more from infused that important to you? Will you kill more players or kill a trial boss any faster?

Technically speaking, yes... Like, 1 second faster. :P
    PS4/PS5, NA | PSN: AeriusSygale | Alliance War Rank 50 (Grand Overlord Grade 2) | CP: 2560+
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is why JC needs hirelings, its already dumb enough that the JC writs are barely worth rewarding, and also refining only favors some over others it seems
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL okay, let us know how that works out when you go to do a jewelrycrafting master writ. Sure you have to do ten times as much for the same rewards but you can't expect everything the first day amirite? :D
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »

LOL okay, let us know how that works out when you go to do a jewelrycrafting master writ. Sure you have to do ten times as much for the same rewards but you can't expect everything the first day amirite? :D

Also every other craft doesn't have a 1/10 temper ratio, which is dumb that they did it for JC tbh.
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So with the golden coming to town tonight(Friday) I wonder how many gold rings will be bought for decon...or with AP to sell on traders for the JC quick lvl madness?

OR

will Zos finally put the sets everyone wants....they will probly wait til the week after every spends all the money
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait for next year anniversary. I bet we will get plenty of JC materials and other stuff.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been enjoying hitting myself in the head with a brick the last couple days! Super fun!
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be more cost effective to research the traits, then use the transmute system to get the trait you want on the golden vendor/trial pieces you purchase.

otherwise, it's not worth your time
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be so bad if deconing jewellery would give you an actual Plate instead of a Grain, then the effort made to get the Legendary jewellery and to decon it is actually relatively equal to the efforts of running in trials, pvping to gain AP or other sources to earn gold to buy to the jewellery from the Golden Vendor.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    krachall wrote: »
    You don't get a full gold plating everytime you crit, its one of the 1/10 ones that convert to the full plating

That's what I said. I took the 800 needed and multiplied by 10.

Oh trust me sometimes its well over 800, I refined 9,000 and only got 12 of them

How on earth did you get enough mats to refine 9,000 3 days into the crafting line being released.

Jeez...
    The Moot Councillor
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    You don't get a full gold plating everytime you crit, its one of the 1/10 ones that convert to the full plating

That's what I said. I took the 800 needed and multiplied by 10.

Oh trust me sometimes its well over 800, I refined 9,000 and only got 12 of them

How on earth did you get enough mats to refine 9,000 3 days into the crafting line being released.

Jeez...
    They probably just did it on the PTS to get an idea of the drop rate.
    V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. Oreyn_Bearclaw
      Oreyn_Bearclaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      lihentian wrote: »
      In any practical sense, gold jewelry crafting is not part of the game. Blue jewelry is and transmutation for jewelry is very real and with a grind you can eventually get a couple pieces of purple. If they would have put that on the ad for summerset, I'd have been happy about it. I'd even have one if those "shut up and take my money" memes. They really struggle with honesty when presenting their products though. So instead people are frustrated and feel ripped off.

Yep! I got to level 50 last night. I have enough mats to make 2 sets of blue jewelry and could make one piece purple. It's definitely doable. Gold is going to be another story.

Was thinking about making a bloodthirsty Purple Julianos neck to see what I can get for it. haha.

It's a bit frustrating now that I am 6 trait and maxed crafter, that frankly, there really isnt anything I need to make. Other than trait change, I dont see a lot of use for JC.

sure.. everything is doable. but it is worth it? also think about master wirt............

@lihentian

Ha! My first max level writ got me a master writ worth 8 vouchers for a purple ring. I think they are missing a Zero. It literally has no value, as there is no possible way anyone in their right mind would craft that or buy it.
    2. Priyasekarssk
      Priyasekarssk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hopefully my math is way off, but...

Assume you get a gold plating every 100 raws (about what I get golds from with ore, wood, and cloth).
      Need 8 for 100% so you need 800 raws.
      But it takes 10 refined golds to make one usable gold so 8,000 raw mats to upgrade one item?

Ok...I get it...gold jewelry is far harder to get than gold weapons or armor. But I'm hearing of people refining over 1000 raws and not getting a single gold. Anyone have better data?

I believe , jewellery crafting is kind of broken and big failure. Design itself is broken. Pathetic never ending grinding. Consider it almost non existing in game, except tranmuting to desired trait. Its complete garbage waste of time.
      Edited by Priyasekarssk on May 25, 2018 8:57PM
    3. Priyasekarssk
      Priyasekarssk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      In any practical sense, gold jewelry crafting is not part of the game. Blue jewelry is and transmutation for jewelry is very real and with a grind you can eventually get a couple pieces of purple. If they would have put that on the ad for summerset, I'd have been happy about it. I'd even have one if those "shut up and take my money" memes. They really struggle with honesty when presenting their products though. So instead people are frustrated and feel ripped off.

Yep! I got to level 50 last night. I have enough mats to make 2 sets of blue jewelry and could make one piece purple. It's definitely doable. Gold is going to be another story.

Was thinking about making a bloodthirsty Purple Julianos neck to see what I can get for it. haha.

It's a bit frustrating now that I am 6 trait and maxed crafter, that frankly, there really isnt anything I need to make. Other than trait change, I dont see a lot of use for JC.

I agree. Excluding trait change, jewellery crafting is a big failure in itself.
    4. Oreyn_Bearclaw
      Oreyn_Bearclaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Excluding trait change, jewellery crafting is a big failure in itself.

@Priyasekarssk
      Funny thing is, if they hadnt nerfed Mechanical Acuity everyone would be scrambling to make gold jewelry. I was going to have a MA jewel station in my house. I ended up just buying a basic one, because I couldn't think of an obvious set worth crafting. Not a comment on the merits of the nerf, simply an observation on the results.
      Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 25, 2018 9:47PM
    5. helediron
      helediron
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      So with the golden coming to town tonight(Friday) I wonder how many gold rings will be bought for decon...or with AP to sell on traders for the JC quick lvl madness?

OR

will Zos finally put the sets everyone wants....they will probly wait til the week after every spends all the money
      No one is hopefully that stupid. I got to 50 in three days in Alik'r dolmen train. ZOS upped xp from deconning by 30% from what it was in PTS. Leveling up jewelry crafting is silly easy.
      On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
    6. vesselwiththepestle
      vesselwiththepestle
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      My numbers are telling me, that you only get one chromium grain per 200 refined dust. If it is true that you get one per 100 refined dust, I have been extremly unlucky :). (Maxed skill / passive of course) I would be very happy, if it is in fact 1 Chromium Grain per 100 dust!

As a matter of fact, according to my numbers you have to refine more dust to get enough Chromium to golden out ONE ring to legendary status than you would need to refine ore to get enough temper alloy to golden out a complete set of 7 pieces of armour to legendary status.

I got to Jewelry Crafting 50 in roughly 10-15 hours of Dolmen grinding. It was stupid, but it didn't take long - not as fast as provisioning or alchemy (lol), however, the real problem is to get the mats. Even the research is much easier to accomplish than getting the mats.

Happy Grinding everyone!
      1000+ CP
      PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
    7. Facefister
      Facefister
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Community asks for JCrafting for ages
      ZOS implements it, but only if you possess the Summerset chapter
      Makes JCrafting as unnattractive and unpractical as possible

8. Slick_007
      Slick_007
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Facefister wrote: »

but it makes summerset more attractive. from a marketing point of view, its exactly right. it sounds like you didnt buy summerset
    9. Facefister
      Facefister
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Slick_007 wrote: »
      Facefister wrote: »

but it makes summerset more attractive. from a marketing point of view, its exactly right. it sounds like you didnt buy summerset

I've preordered Summerset and got nearly all achievements from that chapter. JCrafting isn't attractive, at all. From the marketing point of view it was a cash grab. People got lured by it but they end up with a horrendous grind. I don't understand this hostility of ZoS towards it's playerbase.

Besides, I didn't buy Summerset because of JCrafting. In all honesty, 30 bucks for a larger DLC with a mini-trial is a bit too much and this was the last time I've bought something on/before release.
      Edited by Facefister on May 26, 2018 3:24AM
    10. LadyDestiny
      LadyDestiny
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Assume you get a gold plating every 100 raws (about what I get golds from with ore, wood, and cloth).
      But it takes 10 refined golds to make one usable gold so 8,000 raw mats to upgrade one item?

Ok...I get it...gold jewelry is far harder to get than gold weapons or armor. But I'm hearing of people refining over 1000 raws and not getting a single gold. Anyone have better data?

It's because of crap like this that Eso has so many bots.
    11. agegarton
      agegarton
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE WEEK:

Upgrading your jewellery to gold is NOT going to be easy or cheap.

(I make these understatements so you don’t have to ;) )
    12. Vaoh
      Vaoh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Disgusting.
    13. jssriot
      jssriot
      ✭✭✭✭✭

It's because of crap like this that Eso has so many bots.

Pretty much. Literally the only people who is going to find this crafting profession "rewarding" are the people who run bots and the people who spent a ton of crowns and gold to power level their jewelry crafting and get their their jewelry trait research done the first week. These are going to be who run the market of jewelry crafting for a good while. Thanks, ZOS.

Add to this, daily writ rewards for all profession seem to be nerfed (I'm hardly getting any gold improvement mats compared to what i was getting before Summerset), it seems they don't want people to use the crafting system anymore.Odd given how they were all "Crafters, you're gonna looove Alinor!!!" and all that BS before release.
      Edited by jssriot on May 27, 2018 1:39PM
      PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
    14. Jaimeh
      Jaimeh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, it's around there for improving a single piece of jewellery to gold quality. That's the reason I'm not doing any dedicated farming of seams, and just pick up what I find along the way, because even if I dedicated the time to it, the number of raw mats required is just crazy.
    15. Orticia
      Orticia
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yep, jewelcrafting is so underwhelming to me it borders on the verge of useless.

Upgrading and crafting simply is to expensive to be worth it and the masterwrits are a so unrewarding the only way you want to buy the masterwrits from other players and do them if they give you a ton of gold to take it off their hands.

So I only use it for daily writs, to sell the mats, have something to do and level it extremely casually doing those daily writs and, maybe make a furniture or 2 in the end, very maybe transmute something (probably not).

That said sales of the mats while they are hot gave my last wanted house "Ald Velothi" in no time so there is that.