The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Texture Add-ons?

deleted210304-002304
deleted210304-002304
✭✭✭✭
Textture Add-ons (Re-textures), Are they possible? Could they possibly be made possible?

I mean at best we gain the ability to re-texture items to match our own tastes and at worst someone replaces all of their textures with pictures of moldy cheese (and even that only affects them). I guess people could also try re-texturing everything to make other players stand out more easily but that isn't really going to provide any more of an advantage than what can already be done with regular add-ons.
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far not possible.
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    its a MMO
  • deleted210304-002304
    deleted210304-002304
    ✭✭✭✭
    its a MMO

And? It is still a game with a world mainly comprised of textures and models. The online aspect changes nothing.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    btoop wrote: »
    its a MMO

And? It is still a game with a world mainly comprised of textures and models. The online aspect changes nothing.

Sooner or later someone would scream for nerfs to textures because they're OP.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • deleted210304-002304
    deleted210304-002304
    ✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    its a MMO

You say that as a joke but I'm sure someone would just for the sake of it.
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a MMO

Actually if you allow for texture changes it could be exploitable.

For example, wall hacks, seeing through the walls of keeps and such. Changing the texture on cloak where invisible players can now be seen sneaking around, etc.

If you allow people to replace the game textures with their own, you best believe someone will find a way to exploit it.
    Edited by DeadlyPhoenix on May 20, 2018 6:17PM
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    X-Raying would be one potential issue in the more cat and mouse competitive areas like the IC. I understand the attraction, but it wouldn't be worth the potential downsides.
  • Luthivar
    Luthivar
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be strongly in favour for retexturing some old furniture to get in line with redguard and vvardenfell. And structures of course, like all the bosmer pods and bridges or Tel Galen.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reshaders?
  • deleted210304-002304
    deleted210304-002304
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Reshaders?

Re-shaders are great but they are very different to re-textures (One changes the colour outputs where the other can be completely changed in both colour and form). On a side note, I've recently been using Nvidia's Game Filter within their GeForce Experience overlay (which is still in the experimental stages), which does do great at allowing to you adjust the colour scheme of the game and get things to your tastes.
  • deleted210304-002304
    deleted210304-002304
    ✭✭✭✭
    its a MMO

For example, wall hacks, seeing through the walls of keeps and such. Changing the texture on cloak where invisible players can now be seen sneaking around, etc.

If you allow people to replace the game textures with their own, you best believe someone will find a way to exploit it.
    X-Raying would be one potential issue in the more cat and mouse competitive areas like the IC. I understand the attraction, but it wouldn't be worth the potential downsides.

To my knowledge, Opaque objects will remain opaque and likely vice-versa as transparency should be stored outside of the texture. In addition, the effectiveness of an X-Ray texture pack if it was possible would be very minimal because of culling (which makes sure objects out of sight aren't rendered anyway).
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In other older MMO's I've played, the first thing people did with texture hacking was create nude mods. :o
  • Sekero
    Sekero
    ✭✭✭
    Lake wrote: »
    In other older MMO's I've played, the first thing people did with texture hacking was create nude mods. :o

Why is that the first mod published in just about every moddable game, including all of Bethesda's that I've seen? You want to see naked people running around, there are plenty of websites with just that. I don't disapprove or approve - to each his/her own, but not something I'd like to see particularly in a multiplayer game, unless the modded textures were held locally and only showed up on the owner's screen, but that would likely involve loosening control of the server or allowing the server to be overridden, which is not a good idea.
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a MMO

To my knowledge, Opaque objects will remain opaque and likely vice-versa as transparency should be stored outside of the texture. In addition, the effectiveness of an X-Ray texture pack if it was possible would be very minimal because of culling (which makes sure objects out of sight aren't rendered anyway).

Usually texture packs are considered exploiting in MMOs, the reasons were already told you: for example wall hacks mean you can avoid a lot of enemies in dungeons and trials. There were attempts in other MMOs for texture hacks, and they all ended with very strict bans.