Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy armor Stam Warden Hard Counter

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    CaliMade wrote: »
    So im pulling the stamblade out the closet then?

What about magplar? I was playing yesterday and was able to squash a few stam wardens with Purifying light>Meteor and a well timed total dark...

Magplar lacks adequate CC to control a fight against a stam warden, you’ll have to build enough stam sustain to use reverb and cheese defile stacking. In addition their spammable snares them and requires melee range, while being much less threatening than the wardens own burst combo. Add to that the fact that stam warden burst mostly ignores block mitigation and you’ve got a negative matchup where the stam warden should control the fight. Of course magplar is notorious for being able to turtle and survive 1v1 so the stam warden might not be able to secure a kill either.

Honestly stam warden is a one trick pony offensively and if you can survive the burst combo consistently then you’ll be fine. The issue lies in killing them, for this you want DoTs(bleeds in particular), defile, and melee burst. Masters DW on stamblade is probably the absolute biggest threat to stam warden, followed by mageblade in Duroks, then masters DW stamplar

Yesterday I was out on my magplar and had no problem dispatching a stamwarden while being 2v1ed by a pair of stamwardens. A well-timed Total Dark + Purifying Light + Skoria burst while in Devouring Swarm and a lucky Sweeps channel that he didn't kite in time (while Ele Drain was applied) took him out. That would take any non-tank out.

But magplar can only pull off a burst combo like that once every couple of minutes at most, and even when you have all that up it's far from guaranteed that you can pull off your burst combo. (Compare to magDK's burst combos, all of which are available far more frequently, much easier to set up, and much harder to avoid.) So before I had time to get my combo up again, the dead stamwarden rode back to the resource where I was still fighting his friend, and they double DBOSed me to death.

So don't be a magplar.
    Edited by casparian on April 30, 2018 11:41AM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can never see sub assault. Could there be something with my graphics?
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    CaliMade wrote: »
    So im pulling the stamblade out the closet then?

What about magplar? I was playing yesterday and was able to squash a few stam wardens with Purifying light>Meteor and a well timed total dark...

Magplar lacks adequate CC to control a fight against a stam warden, you’ll have to build enough stam sustain to use reverb and cheese defile stacking. In addition their spammable snares them and requires melee range, while being much less threatening than the wardens own burst combo. Add to that the fact that stam warden burst mostly ignores block mitigation and you’ve got a negative matchup where the stam warden should control the fight. Of course magplar is notorious for being able to turtle and survive 1v1 so the stam warden might not be able to secure a kill either.

Honestly stam warden is a one trick pony offensively and if you can survive the burst combo consistently then you’ll be fine. The issue lies in killing them, for this you want DoTs(bleeds in particular), defile, and melee burst. Masters DW on stamblade is probably the absolute biggest threat to stam warden, followed by mageblade in Duroks, then masters DW stamplar

Yesterday I was out on my magplar and had no problem dispatching a stamwarden while being 2v1ed by a pair of stamwardens. A well-timed Total Dark + Purifying Light + Skoria burst while in Devouring Swarm and a lucky Sweeps channel that he didn't kite in time (while Ele Drain was applied) took him out. That would take any non-tank out.

But magplar can only pull off a burst combo like that once every couple of minutes at most, and even when you have all that up it's far from guaranteed that you can pull off your burst combo. (Compare to magDK's burst combos, all of which are available far more frequently, much easier to set up, and much harder to avoid.) So before I had time to get my combo up again, the dead stamwarden rode back to the resource where I was still fighting his friend, and they double DBOSed me to death.

So don't be a magplar.

That combo melts pretty much anything if they try to facetank it. Though I'm pretty sure stamden can find a way to survive that too. healing ult, or kiting away maybe. I don't know. without a defile murdering a stamden is pain.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on April 30, 2018 11:55AM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    play a nightblade. they have no natural counter to cloak. Especially against magblades they will suffer.

You can't kill a Stam warden as a magblade if they know what they are doing because of how tanky the class is combined with shimmering shield. As well as in CP PvP a heavy armor Stam warden will just brush off a incap. Melee magblade I feel is actually worse because in melee range you open yourself up to stuns like reverb which can get you caught in a combo as well as having no healing so you will be one-shotted. I guess technically you can keep teleporting on the warden to death and exploit his lack of a gap closer, but you will have the worse time actually killing them. This fight will end with the wardens other 4 warden friends zerging you down lol. I will say though in duels I either forfeit because the warden is turtle mode and I know we will fight forever, or I get a kill I've never lost a duel to a warden with a destro/magblade

arent you the guy who said stamDK is a stamblade counter? You also called them ''unstoppable demigods'' and stuff.

Should you really give your opinions about this? I mean that kind of explains why you're so afraid of stamdens which is stamDk on steroids. Really I'm sorry but I just can't take you seriously.

I said mag dk was a stamblade counter and basically a demigod 1v1 and last patch they were. mag dk is still beast mode 1v1. Stam dk is pretty good in duels. I'm also one of the most experienced magblades you could talk to across all three platforms with over 2500 hours played on PvP magblade with a dueling win percentage probably over 97%. Also if you read my post you would see were I said I haven't actually lost a 1v1 against a Stam warden with a destro build.